Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 05:56   #1

Boat: Victoire 1122
OpenCPN NMEA In / Out via One RS232 Port ?

I've a built in Pc on board connected to Raymarine equipment ST60+ with a Raymarine Seatalk/NMEA interface via Com1. On the same comport I use the NMEA out connection direct to the SPX Stearing Computer.
Via Com2 comes in the AIS transponder information (Digital Yacht).
In the Raymarine system is enclosed the Original Raymarine GPS, so Com1. The AIS has its own GPS on Com2.
Working with the SoftwareOnBoard (SOB) I had a good working system included the possibility to follow routes with the autopilot.
Now working with OpenCPN I have no SOG (Speed Over Ground) information from the Raymarine GPS.
After a shut down of the Raymarine GPS and using the AIS GPS on Com2, I do have SOG information.
My autopilot don't gets data anyhow.
The questions:
1.Why has the system no SOG information from the Rauymarine GPS?
2.Am I right, when I say in OpenCPN it isn't possible to have NMEA in (Raymarine interface) and out (direct to SPX AP) on the same Com port (Com1)? And therefore my AP is not acting?
I hope some of you know more aubout this item.

Ton
Horus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 19:33   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: OpenCPN NMEA In / Out via One RS232 Port ?

Horus....

Welcome aboard!

1. Do you know for sure that Raytheon is producing SOG? You can verify by looking at the Toolbaox->GPS->Show data stream window. Your old system may have been taking SOG from the AIS transponder only. Maybe you can reconfigure the Raytheon to produce SOG.

2. OpenCPN can use the same port as NMEA input and Autopilot NMEA output. This is my everyday configuration onboard. Works fine. Perhaps you could post your logfile for analysis....

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 11:27   #3

I'm sorry for the delay; I had to go aboard to have the file and it seems to be autumn here in the Netherlands.
Today I tried new connection possibilities on the interface; I stil get 'No data' on the AP.
Enclosed todays logfile ( I had to cut the first part)
The best situation I can get is with the Raymarine GPS 125 shut down (seatalk); and the AIS active included GPS on Com2. The Raymarine equipment is on Com1.

I Like to hear your comment.

Ton
Attached Files
File Type: doc OpenCPN.doc (377.5 KB, 255 views)
Old 17-07-2011, 12:52   #4

How do you cabled the E85001 (nmea/seatalk box)? I assume you cabled RS232 out to PC in and NMEA IN of the box to PC out. then NMEA out of the box to the autopilot, and, this is important: NOT to the pilots display (more often than not it would not work) BUT to the SPX core computer directly (nmea in).
in this manner you could get AIS data into the Seatalk system if the software permits (nmea gets converted to seatalk) and you will get the possibility to exchange waypoint data with the raymarine plotter (via nmea).

Make sure VTG is output from the C90 (or whatever plotter you are using).

Remember that seatalk has priority over nmea in a raymarine system, so if you have an active waypoint in plotter the pilot will not accept nmea input of track data.

and YES , Opencpn can output nmea sentences for the pilot through same port it is receiving as bdbcat stated.

if in doubt feel free to ask.
regards
alex
alex2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 06:56   #5

I went aboard again, to see and try. I stil get no COG and also no data on the AP.
The NMEA connection with the AP is direct to the SPX computer. There's only a PC (W-XP Prof) no plotter.
I tried another COM cable PC to the Raymarine Interfacebox and also took of at the PC the connection with the AIS (Com2). So there was only the connection from Interface 'RS232 out' to PC/Com1. To the Interfacebox were connected also the ST60+ and Raymarine 125 GPS unit on both Seatalk connections.
In this configuration I had no COG on the dashboard (---) and on the bottomline COG 0 (zero). The boat was stationary, so not sailing. Connecting the AP (SPX) to NMEA out on the Interfacebox, and after starting sailing to a waypoint in OpenCPN. Stil no data on the AP.

The best configuaration I can get is (included COG), with the Raymarine GPS switched off (so on COM1 no GPS information anymore), and with the AIS connected to COM2 included the AIS-GPS; the Digital yACHT AIS has a direct NMEA connection to 'NMEA in' on the interfacebox.
In this situataion with the AP NMEA SPX NMEA in connected to interfacebox NMEA out there is stil no data on the AP.
This the last log in the file (enclosed).

I must be doing something wrong (stupid)....

Ton
Attached Files
File Type: doc OpenCPNlog.doc (134.5 KB, 173 views)
Old 18-07-2011, 07:04   #6

Reading my description agaian; again. I see I've to explain better the AIS connection. So in the best configuration the AIS sents NMEA information to 'NMEA in' on the Interfacebox, and the interfacebox gives this trough via 'RS232 out' to the COM1 on the PC. So the AIS-GPS info comes in on the PC also via COM1.
Old 18-07-2011, 08:33   #7

So there are 2 sources of GPS data going to the PC, I dont find that very good.

I find difficult to understand your cabling as you describe. could you provide some diagram so I can see clearly how you wired this? I do this for a living and I tell you, it could be a simple cabling error, a ground loop, otherwise it is at software level (but you are sending data to the autopilot I presume) . you can check the presence of nmea in the cable going to the AP, with a ohmmeter in the 10V scale take a reading between the positive and negative pair (out of the core computer) , you should see 0-5 V fluctuation in a 1 or 2 sec burst. I use this or a Palm to diagnose nmea messages with precision.

Finally check this from the manual:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Autopilot Output Port: Connect any NMEA 0183 compatible autopilot. Select the correct serial port from the list. OpenCPN does accept autopilot output on the main GPS input port, using the same baud rate, unless it is set to "AIS Port (Shared)".
If you need the NMEA RMC sentence output on your autopilot port, add the following in the opencpn.ini file, called opencpn.conf in Linux:
[Settings]
AutoPilot NMEA Sentence Out=RMB;RMC
Default is RMB only, and works for most autopilots.
Most users will not need this config entry.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
it would not be a bad idea to add that line to the .ini file, they provide COG, SOG and Lat/Long which RMB does not.
alex

Old 21-07-2011, 06:17   #8

Hello Alex; forum members,

T make the connections more easy, I have shut down the AIS; the only connection to the Ray Interface are the Raymarine GPS ansd the RAy ST60+ instruments. Ech is connected to to one of the both available Seatalk connections on the interface. Further I connected the PC RS232/Com1 to 'RS232 out' on the interfacebox.
Also I connected the AP 'NMEA in' direct to NMEA out (plus and minus on COM1) at the PC.
Starting up OpenCPN and activating a route to a waypoint, I have signal on the PC/NMEA out. Checked by Volt meter; changing voltage between about 0,5 and 4,8. Pressing the display button on the AP controlunit (ST6000) I have XTE 000; DTW and BTW; but pressing 'Track' gives the siganal 'No data'. Also Stil no 'COG' on the Dashboard.
I gues the must be made a change in the inin file. Looking at the guide and the file it's not clear to me how the change has to be made. I don't see the instruction to the RMB sentence at al.
My ini file is attached; I hope Alex you or an other memeber can help me?

Regards
Ton
Attached Files
File Type: doc HorusIni.doc (45.5 KB, 175 views)
Old 21-07-2011, 07:06   #9

make a backup of the .ini file (guess you have when you sent it). Add the line I quoted before, NMEA Sentence Out=RMB,RMC where it says

[Settings/NMEAAutoPilotPort]
Port=Serial:COM1
so it will look like:

[Settings/NMEAAutoPilotPort]
Port=Serial:COM1
NMEA Sentence Out=RMB,RMC

OR , rereading the manual, this should be done in the "settings" chapter, is one in the top of the .ini file
there are some NMEA Log things there, you could add it there too, I think wont hurt having it in both places just in case.

save and try it.
having said that, this is a guess from experience, I have verified and used autopilot on every other program you can name, but have not done it with OpenCPN, it is still very much a novelty here and I am slowly turning my clients attention to it. Perhaps I could mount a simulation on my lab and check out what I am suggesting you, and see if it works. I will come back later with more info.
Perhaps some dev here might tell if the .ini mod I suggest is the correct way to do it or not, but in any case it wont hurt your setup and might solve the problem.

You are having NMEA out of com1 , as you measured it, what we dont know is what sentences are sent, but if the display ST6000 shows XTE000, and some data for DTW and BTW (you should see some part of the waypoint name) you are receiving data, but I have seen this problem often, Track function will refuse to work, do you have a Type300 course computer? perhaps is very old software? what model is it?

Use the last beta, I think there are some corrections to autopilot routines there.

Regards, alex
Old 06-08-2011, 10:00   #10

I've been out for sailing some days; therefore the delay.
Meanwhile I installed the latest stable version of OpenCPN (2.5).
I copied the needed AP sentence into the .ini file. I have COG now, but no SOG! I also tried this new sentence whitout the blanks as shown in the manual. No changes.
Making a new waypoint (rightclick), and than activating 'go to mark', I.ve a red line to this waypoint telling me the route is active. Measuring with my voltmeter, I have switching near 5 V to 0,7 V on the NMEA in connection on the Paymarine SPX10 stearing computer (this is the RS232 NMEA out connection of my Windows Pc on board).
Stil 'no data' on the controlunit ST6002.
Regarding the NMEA stream afterwards with the new recording feature, there is also no SOG. Looking in the log-file (also new feature), same thing, no SOG.
I'm planning to have a check cruise next week. I'll be back here then with the system log file, Cruise Log-file, and recorded Nmea file, and also the used .ini file. I'll also prepare a sceme of the Seatalk / NMEA connections then.
When anyone has suggestions; I like to read these!

Regards
Horus
Old 06-08-2011, 14:04   #11

"I have switching near 5 V to 0,7 V on the NMEA in connection on the Paymarine SPX10 stearing computer (this is the RS232 NMEA out connection of my Windows Pc on board).
Stil 'no data' on the controlunit ST6002."....

this is a most strange occurence, as long as you can measure nmea streams into the AP it is nearly guaranteed 99% you should have navigation data on the 6002 display. somehow not the needed sentences are arriving there, you sure have configured the AP output in OpenCPN correctly? this is not the only thread in which I see problems at the output of OCPN for the AP, I will have to investigate this on a simulation environment.
Old 22-08-2011, 13:00   #12

Dear Forum members, specially 'ALEX2035' and 'bdbcat' (you replied earlier),

The problem is stil not solved. I'll explain again:
Problem:
No COG (displayed: 0) and no Compasscourse (displayed: ---) is available in OCPN 2.5.
Configuration:
Boardcomputer under MS Windows XP prof.
Connected via RS232 (COM1) to a Raymarine Interfacebox (RS232 out). To the interface is connected on Seatalk entrance Raymarine ST60+ Instruments included a Raymarine SPX10 Coursecomputer on witch is connected a ST6002 Controlunit.

Description:
I started with new installed OCPN 2.5. Made a track with OCPN running; shut down OCPN; started up my previous SOB navigationprogram; and started OCPN again.
While doing this I recorded the OCPN Logbook and also used the Voyage Data recorder (both new plugins). I also recorded after the first and second run of OCPN with Hyperterminal the incoming NMEA sentences on COM1, so I got two files.
Comparing both NMEA data files, they give the same sentences with the same data-fields. The sentences VTG (COG) is there with Magnetic heading; True Heading isn't filled up! The sentences HDG and HDM are also available with the Compasscourse information.
Typical is that SOB gives COG and Heading information while OCPN didn't.
Starting OCPN for the second time after the SOB run, it was giving COG and Compasscourse information. For a while the digits were fluctuating naturally and than they became frozen!
The third start of OCPN gave the same problem as in the first run with no COG and no Compasscourse info.

Enclosedmy files:
.log file (OCPN sytemfile)
Logbookfile
NMEA file recorded just after run1
NMEA file recorded just after run2

I'm sorry but it's not possible to upload the VDR files.
For those who like to study at my problem, you are welcome!
I hope someone can solve my problem.

"Horus"
Attached Files
File Type: doc NMEA1.doc (30.0 KB, 212 views)
File Type: doc NMEA2.doc (30.5 KB, 153 views)
File Type: doc OCPNsystLOG.doc (60.0 KB, 153 views)
File Type: xls log 2011.xls (77.5 KB, 133 views)
Old 22-08-2011, 13:42   #13

I made my own tests with RMC sentences, that is here : http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post749704 , post #11

but take a look at post #15 from sailias, it is certain that XP doesnt like 2 programs asking for one COM port, I mentioned this on another post, in which I couldnt get data on OpenCPN having fired Ozi before and viceversa. please try only OpenCPN , you said it did show when it run alone? that is the way to go. The hardware part, in which I mostly can help you (Raymarine ) is correct.
Old 22-08-2011, 15:24   #14
Marine Service Provider

Horus.....

OCPN 2.5 gets COG from exactly two NMEA sentences: RMC and/or VTG

Unless I missed something, in your NMEA terminal traces, I see no RMC, and the True Course field of VTG is missing. So, the behavior of OCPN is as expected.

How to fix:
1. Can you configure the Ray equipment to output RMC?
.or.
2. Post a Feature Request to improve the NMEA sentence accept logic in OCPN.

Sorry for your troubles...
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 15:43   #15

It might be a Ray125 as Horus didnt mention any plotter, that one provides rmc in the form of :

by default, this is an antenna and hasnt got any controls.
Never mind about the NMEA thing, you might have this by Seatalk which is the same for this purpose.

SPX pilots only output NMEA HDG and Rudder Reference data only if one is fitted

Tags
nmea, rs232