Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-10-2011, 12:13   #1

Boat: Tartan 3500
OpenCPN, Mapsource Chartpak

Hi,
Recently I installed OpenCPN and I am quite impressed with the overall functionality and effectiveness of the display. I was disappointed that my old Maptech Chartpacks aren't supported by OpenCPN. I've read the threads talking about using different chart formats. I converted and calibrated one of my old Maptech Chartpak charts to work with OpenCPN.

I have dozens of old Maptech Chartpack regions and was hoping to use them with OpenCPN. I can't imagine going through the manual steps of converting the tiles to tif/png, stitching together and calibrating for an entire region, let alone several regions. This works fine, but is a lot of work.

Are their reasons OpenCPN doesn't support the Maptech Chartpack format? I assume there's some sort of licensing issue with reading these formats? Aside from conversion cookbook and manual calibration, why isn't there an automated procedure for converting and calibrating these charts? It seems to me that the coordinate system is available in the HDR information, so manually calibrating shouldn't be necessary.

It would be a good enhancement to read these charts or automatically convert. I appreciate the effort and hard work that went into OpenCPN. I've used may other charting software and OpenCPN seems worthy of consideration. Once I can figure out how to get my charts converted, I may consider switching from Coastal Explorer!
Don

Old 30-10-2011, 04:09   #2

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: OpenCPN, Mapsource Chartpak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
Are there reasons OpenCPN doesn't support the Maptech Chartpack format? I assume there's some sort of licensing issue with reading these formats? Aside from conversion cookbook and manual calibration, why isn't there an automated procedure for converting and calibrating these charts?
The pcx/hdr format is old and outdated.It is indeed a format that is not publicly available. For a Free Software application, like OpenCPN to use it, there need to be a clean room reverse engineering effort. No one seems to be interested enough to do this. What it would take is someone like you, with access to the charts and with with programming skills, and a high motivation.
As you have noticed there is not much interest in this format among OpenCPN users. One reason could be that there are more recent alternatives. Check out the thread "NGA 2700 charts". Another reason is of course that they are no longer available.

If you want to push it, by all means, enter a feature request in the tracker.

Looking at the charts you have, anything there that is not covered by the NGA released chart pictures?

Thomas

Old 10-11-2011, 15:27   #3

Boat: Tartan 3500

Thomas,
Thanks for the info - I hadn't considered upgrading my chart library with NGA 2700 charts. I'll look into this further - probably good idea anyway, since many of the pcx/hdr charts are quite old!
Don
Old 13-11-2011, 09:13   #4

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

I am looking to install the Open CPN program on my Mac. When I put the early version and charts on my PC I downloaded it from a disk. Everything including the world charts was on the disk. Is this available still and for my Mac?....Philiosophy
Old 13-11-2011, 09:24   #5

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiosophy View Post
I am looking to install the Open CPN program on my Mac. When I put the early version and charts on my PC I downloaded it from a disk. Everything including the world charts was on the disk. Is this available still and for my Mac?....Philiosophy
...""I downloaded it from a disk"....was this an ebay buy or something?OpenCPN doesn't "come" on a disk with a whole set of charts.

Installing OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Tags
opencpn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: