Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2014, 07:26   #766

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: OpenCPN Internationalization ( i18n )

I'm trying to understand how the crowdin translations get into the github repositories for plugins.

Obviously if I get a pull request from pavel I can merge, but maybe I should just download the zip from crowdin and replace the various files in the po directory of the plugin as needed?

Is there a more automatic way? Also, I notice now there are always translation files for 20 languages even though most of them simply mirror the english. Why is this? Is there no way to do fuzzy translations, or to omit un-translated strings (and entire files if no strings are translated) ?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 08:15   #767

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I'm trying to understand how the crowdin translations get into the github repositories for plugins.

Obviously if I get a pull request from pavel I can merge, but maybe I should just download the zip from crowdin and replace the various files in the po directory of the plugin as needed?
You can sure do it using the zip files. I use crowdin cli client to do all this. The next step is to do it all automatically using a script. Just thought that pull requests will save you and the other plug-in authors some time.
Quote:
Is there a more automatic way? Also, I notice now there are always translation files for 20 languages even though most of them simply mirror the english. Why is this? Is there no way to do fuzzy translations, or to omit un-translated strings (and entire files if no strings are translated) ?
There is a way to fuzzy the translations. For the languages I do speak (Spanish, French, Czech), the results of machine translation are non-satisfactory, that's why I left it disabled.
What would be the benefit of deleting the untranslated strings from the PO files, which would asses the effort needed to do so? Smaller resulting package? Really?

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 16:33   #768

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
You can sure do it using the zip files. I use crowdin cli client to do all this. The next step is to do it all automatically using a script. Just thought that pull requests will save you and the other plug-in authors some time.
Ok.

Quote:
There is a way to fuzzy the translations. For the languages I do speak (Spanish, French, Czech), the results of machine translation are non-satisfactory, that's why I left it disabled.
I didn't mean machine translation, but cases where the string changed slightly, and the old translation needs to be updated.

Quote:
What would be the benefit of deleting the untranslated strings from the PO files, which would asses the effort needed to do so? Smaller resulting package? Really?

Pavel
The only benefit is to see which languages I actually have, but it doesn't matter much.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:17   #769

Boat: Najad 34

Using 3.3.2302.
In opencpn_sv_SE.po the word ”Range” used in AIS info is translated to ”Avstånd” but in runtime the translation is “Räckvidd”
There is a history here:
In previous translations the word “Räckvidd” was used but it’s changed this year. (The word “Range” can be translated to “Räckvidd” but not in this context.)
If I remember correct the new translation, to “Avstånd”, once was reflected in the AIS info window but now it’s back to “Räckvidd”. I’ve checked to manually make a new .mo file from a correct .po file and copy it to the “…\locale\sv\LC_MESSAGES” directory, no change.

I now suspect the newly introduced “wxstd.mo” may have something to do with this but I’m not sure how that file is working. Could anyone please clarify?

Thanks/Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:39   #770

Hakan...
You can manually remove wxstd.mo to confirm the theory.
The solution for this particular case might be not to load the default in https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/b...art1.cpp#L1501 but use AddCatalog after https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/b...art1.cpp#L1524

But it is a by design "problem" with gettext - one original string can simply have just one translation.

Pavel
Old 07-11-2014, 14:48   #771

Boat: Najad 34

Thanks Pavel but after removing wxstd.mo the internationalism is no longer working, all string turned to English and all fonts are default size. Returned to normal when wxstd.mo is back again.
My issue is not personal but more for all other local users so we have to find a general solution if any. I see the problem with Gettext so the word "Range" in "AIS_Tager_Data.cpp" L604 could as well be changed to "Distance", couldn't it?
Code:
 html << _T("<tr><td colspan=2><table width=100% border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0>")
        << rowStart <<_("Range") << _T("</font></td><td>&nbsp;</td><td><font size=-2>")
        << _("Bearing") << _T("</font></td><td>&nbsp;</td><td align=right><font size=-2>")
        << turnRateHdr << _T("</font></td></tr>")
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 14:50   #772

Yes, it most likely could. And with gettext it actually is the only way to remedy this stuff...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-11-2014, 00:38   #773

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

Pavel,

1) How do plugin authors push new updates for plugin texts (english originals) to crowdin, or do plugin authors just ping you? If so, where and how?
2) What is the anticipated deadline for 3.3 final / next beta?

Thanks,
Kees
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:52   #774

Kees...
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrimac View Post
1) How do plugin authors push new updates for plugin texts (english originals) to crowdin, or do plugin authors just ping you? If so, where and how?
The easiest is to ping me at pavel [] kalian . cz whenever you want the translations updated. I will eventually do it fully automatic, but don't have time for it now.
Quote:
2) What is the anticipated deadline for 3.3 final / next beta?
Next beta soon, final when it is ready. We are getting closer, but so far no date was set.

Pavel
Old 05-01-2015, 09:33   #775

Translators...
The final version of OpenCPN 4.0 is going to be released in a couple of days.
If you feel like something is still missing in your language, please visit https://crowdin.net/project/opencpn to fix what's necessary as soon as possible.

Thanks

Pavel
Old 05-01-2015, 10:03   #776

Boat: Nidelv 28, 28ft
Send a message via Skype™ to HotRod

Norwegian (Norsk) translation of core files are 100% finished, 79% overall including plugins.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:41   #777
Marine Service Provider

Translators...

The cutoff time for translations to be included in OCPN 4.0 is 6 january, 2015 2300 GMT.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:09   #778

Spanish translation:
core, grib and dasboard 100%
11 plugins 100% translate. 12 plugin no translate.

ready to OCPN 4.0
Old 30-01-2015, 07:26   #779

I am trying to correct the string displayed for "TCP" Protocol radio button in Options/Connections for the PL version.

I have no problem with it when downloading the .po file from crowdin and using poedit locally, but - after trying all filters/searches etc - I cannot locate "TCP" nor "UDP" nor "GPSD" in the crowdin texts database... any hints?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TCP_po_S.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	96261  
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 07:50   #780

Pjotr...
I found it without problem. And fixed.

Pavel