Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-12-2012, 07:49   #106

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"
Re: OpenCpn install on android tablets easier now.

Salias,

Thanks.

In the meanwhile, for me at least, the fact gps does not work with my Xoom has no effect on the usability of OpenCpn.

I repeat, anyone considering installing linux and OpenCpn on their tablet should proceed. The kernel currently installed on my Xoom is Tiamat ICS Xoom kernel, source code @: https://github.com/solarnz/Tiamat-Xoom . You most likely have a different kernel on your device, especially since my kernel is not stock android. I can't recall if I tried my gps before flashing this ROM: Goo.im Downloads - Downloading EOS-umts_everest-3.0.zip .

I'm not going to revert to the last Xoom upgrade - which I think was 3.2.x to try this out.

For those of you unfamiliar with android development, you should Google for development related to your device. Mine is [ROM][JB] Team EOS 3 *JELLYBEAN* Nightlies - Umts_everest / MZ601 / EU 3G ONLY - xda-developers

Why should you consider messing around with trying ROMS being developed in the android community? Because the tweaks and changes they make add features and enhance performance of your device. Stock release of updated ROMs occur infrequently, and for some tablets are delayed for long periods of time. Depends upon country.

The [ROM][JB] Team EOS 3 *JELLYBEAN* Nightlies - Umts_everest / MZ601 / EU 3G ONLY - xda-developers developers will most likely fix the driver issue related to the gps for the Xoom. When is the question.

In the meanwhile, I'll investigate the possibility of using the built-in gps and bluetooth gps.

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 08:26   #107

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Within a few weeks Microsoft is going to release it's new tablet, which I think is going to be running standard windows, and *might* have a more standard pc-like internal architecture. Will that make this easier? I haven't seen the cost yet. (It might be out now, I haven't checked)
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 10:03   #108

ArtM,

That would be great if a tablet with a MS Windows operating system was available on which to run OpenCpn. Question is: Will users be able to install anything but MS Windows programs? I have not researched efforts to hack/root devices running Windows. So, I don't know if there has been any success "jail breaking" these tablets. Will you be able to install an OpenCpn.exe install?

I met a fireman in Bundaberg, Australia who wanted a dual boot option into Linux on his Apple computer. When he tried a message appeared saying only Microsoft XP could be installed as an second system. On an Apple computer!

On a different note: I've submitted the issue addressed in the last several posts here: Issue 222 - teameos - gps not recognized by kernel - Eos Android - Google Project Hosting

Hopefully the problem can be resolved relatively soon.

armido
Old 22-12-2012, 16:36   #109

Sinbad 7 is on the right track. Download VNC onto your Android device and VNC Server onto your laptop. Follow the instructions to get a hookup between the two. In order to do this you need a separate wireless access point (say an old wireless router) or your laptop setup as a wirelss access point (android does not easily connect to ad hoc networks) You do not have to be connected to the internet for this to work.

Once you've got the two shaking hands, you can remotely control your laptop with your android device. With open CPN on the lappie and a hockey puck GPS you're away. Now you've got open cpn running in the cabin and also on your tablet/phone in the cockpit and also can control the lot from the cockpit. It also means that you can control any program on your lappie from your tablet.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 17:20   #110

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn
Sinbad 7 is on the right track. Download VNC onto your Android device and VNC Server onto your laptop. Follow the instructions to get a hookup between the two. In order to do this you need a separate wireless access point (say an old wireless router) or your laptop setup as a wirelss access point (android does not easily connect to ad hoc networks) You do not have to be connected to the internet for this to work.

Once you've got the two shaking hands, you can remotely control your laptop with your android device. With open CPN on the lappie and a hockey puck GPS you're away. Now you've got open cpn running in the cabin and also on your tablet/phone in the cockpit and also can control the lot from the cockpit. It also means that you can control any program on your lappie from your tablet.
You have missed the entire point of this exercise!!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 16:25   #111

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM
Within a few weeks Microsoft is going to release it's new tablet, which I think is going to be running standard windows, and *might* have a more standard pc-like internal architecture. Will that make this easier? I haven't seen the cost yet. (It might be out now, I haven't checked)
Microsoft made two versions of windows 8. One is RT, meant to operate as windows "lite". The other version is designed to operate as a true X86 system. This version on the proper hardware can run all normal programs. The Microsoft tablets come I'm both flavors, the useful one costing much more than the "lite" version.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 22:09   #112

Armido, Salias, Sailmonkey:

Thanks to all of you for working on this. After some trepidation, I've converted a laptop to Linux (Ubuntu) on the boat and am much happier with the reliability than with that "other" OS. But you guys are on to something...

Clearly, for extended cruising low power is the key. Yes, I'll always still have my laptop, but if I can run a OpenCPN on a tablet it's the next step.

Many others are watching and cheering on you "pathfinders"

Good luck and please report back your successes when you can.
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 23:06   #113

Boat: HR382

yes,
I am also very interessted to have OCPN on my Android Pad
hwecken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 06:41   #114

Update:

I received the response below from xda and my reply:

Re: Issue 222 in teameos: gps not recognized by kernelInbox
x

teameos@googlecode.comComment #1 on issue 222 by randall....@gmail.com: gps not recognized by kerne...
7:03 AM (2 hours ago)

Bob Lorenzi <boblaurenci@gmail.com>
10:38 AM (0 minutes ago)

to teameos

Hi,

My understanding is that gps devices do not require a driver.
No Linux Driver Needed - Linux Driver Project
Please see: GPSd &mdash; Put your GPS on the net! for how gps devices are
managed under linux. Hope this points you in the right direction for
resolving this issue.

Thanks,
armido
Old 31-12-2012, 06:43   #115

Missing in the above message from xda is this line:

"The xoom kernel may not contain the needed driver. If you research and find out the needed module or config, let me know here."
Old 01-01-2013, 09:03   #116

Good news!

GrowleyMonster has succeded in installing linux and OpenCPN on his Samsung 7" tablet.

See his thread here on the OpenCPN Forum.

Original instructions are here: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage

armido
Old 03-01-2013, 16:24   #117
oem

Boat: Vindø 995 ds

This whole thread is excellent work, thanks to all, armido particularly.

The question of a port to android has been asked many times before, but so far with negative answers.

But now, just suddenly, out of nowhere, the answer seems to be, - basically -, to root the android.

With access to the GPS-unit on the android still as pending issue, though.

OruxMaps is the Android navigation app I've been using on my soon completely outdated HTC Desire so far. It's free and with Oruxmaps you can do a lot of functions aimilar to Opencpn. BSB-charts can be converted easily between Opencpn and oruxmaps.

OCPN directly installed on the android with linux would have many advantages. Same UI, same charts, same functionality as on a notebook/laptop.

In my view, - if the solution can be made 100% functional (with a gps integrated) - , all other solutions, being mxmariner or oruxmaps and other, will be obsolete.

It's a miracle :-)
oem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:28   #118

oem,

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately, progress toward a fully operational OpenCPN on android tablets will remain elusive until more people come on board to help resolve the issue of gps functionality in particular. If you visit the xda developer's site Android, Windows Phone, and Windows Mobile Development News, Information, and Howtos - XDA Developers , you will bear witness to how a community of volunteers are filling in where manufacturers and official android coders are dropping the ball.

I have dropped the gps issue in their lap because they have skills and knowledge I lack. It would be nice if somebody like the xda volunteers were a sailor capable of helping to get this done.

Sailors as a group are typically pretty cautious, and those who aren't end up on reefs or being pirated. So, I understand the reluctance for many who have viewed these threads to root their device, install linux and OpenCPN. Be assured though, doing so will not make any of you vulnerable to being pirated or drive you onto a reef. Be brave. Give it a go.

armido
Old 04-01-2013, 14:02   #119
oem

Boat: Vindø 995 ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by armido View Post
oem,

Sailors as a group are typically pretty cautious, and those who aren't end up on reefs or being pirated. So, I understand the reluctance for many who have viewed these threads to root their device, install linux and OpenCPN. Be assured though, doing so will not make any of you vulnerable to being pirated or drive you onto a reef. Be brave. Give it a go.

armido
Unfortunately I'm not able to help with the rather technical issues mentioned.

But I hope my support will help more people 'see the light' of the concept of an 'easy' port(if possible) of OCPN to Android tablets.
oem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 15:44   #120
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser
Lightbulb Re: OpenCpn install on android tablets easier now.

armido, thanks for pioneering this approach. While I can not test it all (lacking the required hardware) I have an idea how to access GPS from such setup. My idea is based on the following assumptions:

• since Linux runs as a chrooted process, Android processes and services are running in parallel;
  • chrooted means isolated, so no way for direct access to hardware and data exchange, but that may be not necessary, because...
  • network (TCP/IP) communication should be possible between the two, i.e. a Linux program (like OpenCpn) should be able to connect to a socket on a local(?) interface in Android;
  • GPS chipsets may be different in various manufacturers' tablets, but in all cases there will be factory installed drivers for Android, and...
  • Android offers a standard API to access GPS data, so Android apps do not have to worry about drivers for particular GPS hardware present.

Given the above assumptions are true, the solution I propose is to write a small Android native server app (daemon), which will bind to a TCP/IP interface (on Android side) and serve NMEA stream to any app which can connect to it. Once such service is up and running, OpenCPN may be able to connect to it directly.

Only an idea, maybe helpful, maybe rubbish...
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn