Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 07:31   #76

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"
Re: OpenCpn install on android tablets easier now.

Sailias,

Some progress. From Setting Up GPS | Official OpenCPN Homepage instructions. Command and results below:
u0_a33@android:/ # /data/local/linux/bin/linuxchroot
root@localhost:/# gpsctl -f -n /dev/ttyUSB0
gpsctl: attempting USB device enumeration.
gpsctl: 1d6b:0002 (bus 1, device 1)
gpsctl: 22b8:2a70 (bus 1, device 2)
gpsctl: 1d6b:0002 (bus 2, device 1)
gpsctl: 091e:0003 (bus 2, device 2)
gpsctl: vendor/product match with 091e:0003 found
gpsctl: /dev/ttyUSB0 identified as a Garmin USB binary at 9600.
gpsctl: Garmin USB binary devices have no mode switch

So, the gps is on /dev/ttyUSB0.

Why isn't the data getting through?

Later.

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:37   #77

Boat: On the Hard

From the referenced page.
-----------------------
To proceed, the "user" you use on your computer must belong to the group "dialout".

Check your status by writing "groups" on a command line. The response will be all groups that the user belongs to. Make sure that "dialout" is included. If not, you have to add your user to this group. There are many ways to do this, one is to issue this command:

"sudo usermod -a -G dialout $USER"

This applies to many Debian based distibutions, for other distros just drop the sudo and do the command as root, using "su".
All major Linux distribution includes a graphical user settings dialog, where adding a user to a group, could be fixed.
------------------------
Direct connection.

• Make sure that gpsd isn't running then connect your gps and start OpenCPN. On Ubuntu 12.04 the easiest way to achive this is to unistall gpsd.
  • In the Options->Connections -> Add Conection, select "Serial".Set "dataPort to the port where you plugged in your gps. If you plugged in BU 353 this will probably be /dev/ttyUSB0.
  • Choose 4800 (in your case 9600) baud, unless you know that the gps is set to something else.
  • The gps should now work....if not, check the NMEA data stream window. If only binary garbage is visible, the gps has to be reset to NMEA mode, see more about this above in windows section. (make sure your Garmin is set to NMEA in the setting tab..and 9600 baud rate)
  • To do this in Linux for BU 353 as well as many other gps:es, make sure that gpsd is running and that the package "gpsd-clients" is installed. On Ubuntu 12.04 gpsd needs to be temporarily installed. Make sure to kill any instances of gpsd with the command "sudo killall gpsd"
  • The command $gpsctl -n will put the GPS into NMEA mode.
  • If that doesn't work, try $ gpsctl -f -n /dev/ttyUSB0 .This will force a low-level access, bypassing gpsd. For more information: $man gpsctl
  • More information is as always available through "man gpsctl" Close down OpenCPN before running gpsctl.
----------------------

to test it....use the test window in opencpn for nmea output. I dont use gpsctl rather gpsd as its more flexible and does AIS as well.

Its all explained in the reference. Now if none of this works, but you need to provide clear and detailed notes on what you are doing, it could be a function of the fact that you are in a chroot environment. I really dont think so however. We can deal with that later however as the device is being recognized.

For now repeat the exercise step by step and document each line and report failure or success and at which point it breaks.

Follow the instructions to the letter and report back.

/ch
sailias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:07   #78

Sailias,

dpkg-reconfigure is set to /dev/ttyUSB0, auto, -G, /var/run/gpsd.sock

dmesg:

<6>[12608.753957] tegra-ehci tegra-ehci.0: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
<6>[12608.830392] tegra-ehci tegra-ehci.0: irq 52, io mem 0xc5000000
<6>[12608.850371] tegra-ehci tegra-ehci.0: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00
<6>[12608.850557] usb usb2: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b, idProduct=0002
<6>[12608.850628] usb usb2: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
<6>[12608.850750] usb usb2: Product: Tegra EHCI Host Controller
<6>[12608.850817] usb usb2: Manufacturer: Linux 2.6.39.4-Eos3 ehci_hcd
<6>[12608.850935] usb usb2: SerialNumber: tegra-ehci.0
<6>[12608.852900] hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
<6>[12608.853040] hub 2-0:1.0: 1 port detected
<6>[12616.200406] usb 2-1: new full speed USB device number 2 using tegra-ehci
<6>[12616.430426] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=091e, idProduct=0003
<6>[12616.430560] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0

The id Vendor 091e is for a garmin gps.

armido
Old 11-12-2012, 10:48   #79

Followed your instructions to a T. The root user has access to all files, regardless of group and owner. Tried joining root to dialout. Nada. Seems redundant anyway. The only other user is 'android' who is a member of dialout group.

Attempting to start OpenCpn as android yields opencpn.log:

18:25:46 EST: ------- Starting OpenCPN -------
18:25:46 EST: Version 3.1.1206 Build 2012-12-06
18:25:46 EST: wxWidgets version: wxWidgets 2.8.10
18:25:46 EST: MemoryStatus: mem_total: 715 mb, mem_initial: 32 mb
18:25:46 EST: SData_Locn is /usr/share/opencpn/
18:25:46 EST: Using existing Config_File: /home/android/.opencpn/opencpn.conf
18:25:46 EST: No styles found at: /home/android/
18:25:46 EST: No styles found at: /home/android/.opencpn/
18:25:46 EST: The requested style was not found

Also received a configuration files not found window. Two forks here. Why OpenCpn is not usable by a normal user in a chroot environment, and why - no matter what we have tried so far - gps data is not getting through.

Hmmmm.

armido
Old 11-12-2012, 10:56   #80

Sailias,

Changed permissions in /usr/share/opencpn all subdirectories. User android is able now to run opencpn. Will test gps functionality once maps have loaded...

armido
Old 11-12-2012, 11:10   #81

Sailias,

No data flow with and without gpsd. More time, research, patience and determination required.

I'm using dd to clone my drive to an identical drive in an external enclosure right now. So, can't go anywhere til it's done and hoping the mall doesn't close before it's finished. The cloning has been going on since about 08:00 - 6 hrs. ago.

armido
Old 12-12-2012, 06:58   #82

Sailias,

Regarding your request for step by step feedback. There were no apparent failures to report in each step. All are apparently successful.

Groups included in the Linux Deploy Debian Squeeze distribution are not your standard fare. User 'android' belongs to the following groups. The 'dialout' was added by me...

android dialout aid_system aid_radio aid_bluetooth aid_graphics aid_input aid_audio aid_camera aid_log aid_compass aid_mount aid_wifi aid_adb aid_install aid_media aid_dhcp aid_sdcard_rw aid_vpn aid_keystore aid_usb aid_drm aid_available aid_gps aid_media_rw aid_mtp aid_drmrpc aid_nfc aid_shell aid_cache aid_diag aid_net_bt_admin aid_net_bt aid_inet aid_net_raw aid_net_admin aid_net_bw_stats aid_net_bw_acct

While the linux distribution has devices in the /data/local/linux/mnt/dev file system, I am wondering if our objective is achievable only by using the android devices: /dev ? I'm trying to figure out how to create a soft link to /dev/ttyUSB0 in the android file system to give it a try. Device permissions in the linux side are o.k.. Group membership is o.k. for user android.

I think what needs to be accomplished is bridging the divide between the android and linux file systems.

Your thoughts?

armido
Old 12-12-2012, 10:54   #83

man you are confusing me to the hilt...ok ....some patience and some background. You have to understand that when you are supporting someone who does not have the same hardware Im effectively working blind or in the dark and can base comments solely on what you type.

First off, the linux install in a chroot environment once running has nothing to do with Android system, think of them as two independant operating systems running in parrallel and at the same time on a piece of hardware. So any efforts to link the two would be unproductive hence you are in a chroot environment or jail as its typically called. It is important for the two OS's to remain independent of each other.

On the linux system, the only one of interest at this time, you have users and groups. Root is not in all groups. Secondly you should not run anything from root when it comes to what we are doing except for a couple subsystems. So on your linxus system....you have an account for root and account for armido. If no create them. Make sure that armido is in the group dialout. If that group does not exist, then create it. Simple enough. OpenCPN should be run from the user armido not android or root.

dmesg output is incomplete. it should show what node the detected device is attached too. Here is an example:

-------------------------
1207.596030] usb 5-1: new full-speed USB device number 3 using uhci_hcd
[ 1207.750606] usb 5-1: New USB device found, idVendor=067b, idProduct=2303
[ 1207.750612] usb 5-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 1207.750616] usb 5-1: Product: USB-Serial Controller D
[ 1207.750619] usb 5-1: Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.
[ 1207.794283] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
[ 1207.794844] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
[ 1207.795412] USB Serial support registered for generic
[ 1207.795426] usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
[ 1207.799479] usbcore: registered new interface driver pl2303
[ 1207.801071] USB Serial support registered for pl2303
[ 1207.803520] pl2303 5-1:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
[ 1207.814968] usb 5-1: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[ 1209.168081] usb 5-1: USB disconnect, device number 3
[ 1209.168318] pl2303 ttyUSB0: pl2303 converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
[ 1209.168345] pl2303 5-1:1.0: device disconnected
[ 1211.744030] usb 5-1: new full-speed USB device number 4 using uhci_hcd
[ 1211.902608] usb 5-1: New USB device found, idVendor=067b, idProduct=2303
[ 1211.902613] usb 5-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 1211.902617] usb 5-1: Product: USB-Serial Controller D
[ 1211.902620] usb 5-1: Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.
[ 1211.905730] pl2303 5-1:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
[ 1211.917787] usb 5-1: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0
------------eof--------------

So it shows me that when I plug in my USB dongle it is attached to ttyUSB0. I dont see that in your dmesg output. What device is the gps attached too. In other words what has the kernel assigned the device too. If that is not present, then the assingment is not complete.

Secondly the linux kernal output tells me the you have an Product: Tegra EHCI Host Controller. This is the USB controller on the motherboard. These are known to be flakey and support in the kernel is building this out. Check the kernel lists under, "tegra-ehci tegra-ehci.0" module. Just use google. Its important to learn how to diagnose stuff and to learn how to help yourself if you want to play at this level. Google is your first line of support, friends are second level support..

The fact that I dont see a dmesg assignment for either usb device and Im not sure what the first usb device is, Im taking your word that the second one is the Garmin, but that is unsupported by what you present, but lets role with it, it seems to me that the kernel module is not fully implementing the USB subsystem as there are no assigned devices. Makes sense? Makes sense only if your dmesg report is complete and I dont know that.

Solutions. Why did you choose debian whatever, its rather dated and will not have the latest kernel revisions and updates. I would suggest that you go for a leading edge distro rather then this older debian. Debian is the most conservative and slowest distro to adopt kernel mods and changes unless you are running experimental and have no clue what that is called as I dont play the debian game.

Lest start here:

Start you machine on the tablet, start your linux system, plug in the Garmin, and send me the "complete" dmesg output from start to finish. So as to not bother other members please pipe it to a text file. Any email program on android or linux can attach a txt file. How this is done is simple:

#armido: dmesg > dmesg.txt
then send me that text file to the email account that I gave you earlier.

OpenCPN can wait for now as its not important. If you want to play with it without GPS support, then run it from the armido account, not the android account as that is confusing to everyone. Make sure that the armido account is a non priveldged account and that it is included in the group dialout.

Cloning your drive to another machine if pointless as that other machine unless its the same tablet will have different hardware specs. The issue we are facing is simple matter of hardware support in the kernel. Simple...but can be very frustrating when stuff is not fully supported which is what Im tending to think based on what you report. A complete dmesg dump will either confirm or deny that assumption. But that is where we have to start.

later.

/ch

Good luck.

/ch
Old 12-12-2012, 11:20   #84

Have a look here wrt to your usb controller.....the implementation seems to be being working on....... Tegra linux kernel development ()

/ch
Old 12-12-2012, 11:34   #85

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

'OpenCpn install on android tablets easier now.'

You´ve gotta be kidding!!!

I would change it to:

'OpenCpn access on android tablets easier now.'

and use TeamViewer or PocketCloud.

Tore

P.S. My compliments for perserverance and patience!
Old 12-12-2012, 13:12   #86

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
[B]

and use TeamViewer or PocketCloud.

Tore

P.S. My compliments for perserverance and patience!
I for one am more interested in the outcome of linux on the tablet.......your methodology is fine for you, but I have no desire or use for an onboard network........the point of this whole exercise is to use the table to perform charting functions without the added power drain of a network and a "server" type of machine.

Please leave clouds, networks, and multiple machines out of this

Thank you
midget rant over
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 13:53   #87

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

Not being very programing oriented myself,and reading about the great intricacy of Linux combined with the relatively new phenomena of Android,I could not get the postings to correlate with the heading `easier now´.

If the most important task was to run OperCPN on a tablet,why not buy a Windows based tablet?

Even if it was possible to have the tablet share it´s limited memory/storage between linux and android based programs,I do´nt think I would be interested, but I know there are thousands of linux fans out there that would,so please do´nt let me discourage the effort.

I have heard so much about OpenCPN ´on-a-stick´. Could that be a possibility?

Tore
Old 12-12-2012, 18:39   #88

Folks,

I tried the gps with my laptop today, and while dmesg reported the gps 'attached to /dev/USB0', no data got through to OpenCpn. Previously, I have used this gps successfully on the same laptop. On close inspection it appears the usb port on the gps may be affected by corrosion. I'll be soliciting a borrowed gps to rule out the possibility corrosion is the cause.

Anybody who has read my instructions realizes available installers provide only Ubuntu and Debian distributions at the present time. A system image is available from Fedora - and possibly others- for the arm architecture. If you feel competent enough to get one of these images onto your tablet - and functioning - be my guest.

Armchair spectators who have no experience installing linux and OpenCpn on a tablet will probably appear in this thread now and again. They'll harp about better, easier options than installing linux and OpenCpn on an android tablet. They'll berate others for wasting time and energy trying something they, themselves have no understanding or interest in. Ignore them. But, if you want a Windoz tablet and wish to try getting past the obstacles intentionally designed to frustrate your efforts to install freeware, go fer it. The tablet is probably going to limit your program options to non-free Microsoft products. Plus, you will not have the benefit of Windows equivalents to android development sites like xda.

Rest assured, contrary to assertions there is insufficient storage and memory capacity on tablets - if you buy one with 32 gb on board and a micro SD slot for additional storage - 8 gb devoted to linux/OpenCpn is inconsequential.

Using an OTG cable, I'm able to use external USB storage devices with my Xoom without any problem. The exception would be a hard drive in an external enclosure - unless the enclosure has an additional power source. Once I am able to try a borrowed gps we may discover it works too.

Seamonkey. Thanks.

armido
Old 12-12-2012, 18:48   #89

Forgot to clarify the comment I made a couple of posts ago about cloning. I was not cloning my tablet, I was cloning from my laptop 500 gb hard drive to an identical drive in an external enclosure...

armido
Old 12-12-2012, 19:09   #90

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Where am I? Aunt may, is that you? I was in this place full of sailboats and palmtrees...
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn