Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-06-2015, 05:55   #361

Boat: 40ft fibreglass sloop
Re: OpenCpn Install on Android Tablets Easier Now.

I'm feeling chuffed today - after loading the CM93 maps, my Nexus android tablet is running OpenCPN (under chroot linux) normally and locating my boat position as it should.

Thus I have a portable chartplotter that is self-contained with GPS and charts. I chose the 7inch tablet because it is the biggest form factor that will fit in the external side pocket of my sailing jacket - so easy to take it with me when leaving the boat.

If I wanted a bigger screen, at this point I feel reasonably optimistic that I can buy a 10-inch android tablet, repeat Wrong's instructions and in a couple of hours have an extremely low-draw 10-inch chart plotter that can live inside the boat.

So a big THANK YOU goes to Wrong for authoring the instructions in the first place, and secondly offering help along the way.

The only hiccup was really Selinux, but I am actually pleased to have replaced my tablet's stock Rom with a slim Rom thereby getting rid of a lot of bloatware.

I like the fact that with this chartplotter I am not beholden to any licensing deal with any commercial supplier, that my device uses very little battery energy, and that it is packable in my side pocket.

I do realise that tablets (including iPads) have a weakness - poor contrast when viewed in sunlight or bright light. So I am passively on the lookout for a sunlight viewable Android tablet - let's hope they are on the way in the next year or two.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:00   #362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqus View Post
...I do realise that tablets (including iPads) have a weakness - poor contrast when viewed in sunlight or bright light. So I am passively on the lookout for a sunlight viewable Android tablet - let's hope they are on the way in the next year or two.
I have a couple of Windows tablets that are bright enough to be viewable in sunlight. I use them regularly for OpenCPN, viewed in the cockpit. I do try to keep them under the bimini top, but there still is a lot of ambient light reflected from the cockpit and water.

A matte finish screen protector helps a lot. No matter how bright the screen is, there will also be reflections to contend with, and the matte finish protector gets rid of those.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:29   #363

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
I have a couple of Windows tablets that are bright enough to be viewable in sunlight. I use them regularly for OpenCPN, viewed in the cockpit. I do try to keep them under the bimini top, but there still is a lot of ambient light reflected from the cockpit and water.

A matte finish screen protector helps a lot. No matter how bright the screen is, there will also be reflections to contend with, and the matte finish protector gets rid of those.
Thanks for that input RhythmDoctor, and also your earlier post on OpenCPN menu text size.

Any chance you could say which tablets (models) have viable sunlight viewable screens, and also whether they have built-in GPS?
Old 08-06-2015, 09:07   #364

Quote:
I'm feeling chuffed today - after loading the CM93 maps, my Nexus android tablet is running OpenCPN (under chroot linux) normally and locating my boat position as it should.

Thus I have a portable chartplotter that is self-contained with GPS and charts. I chose the 7inch tablet because it is the biggest form factor that will fit in the external side pocket of my sailing jacket - so easy to take it with me when leaving the boat.

If I wanted a bigger screen, at this point I feel reasonably optimistic that I can buy a 10-inch android tablet, repeat Wrong's instructions and in a couple of hours have an extremely low-draw 10-inch chart plotter that can live inside the boat.

So a big THANK YOU goes to Wrong for authoring the instructions in the first place, and secondly offering help along the way.

The only hiccup was really Selinux, but I am actually pleased to have replaced my tablet's stock Rom with a slim Rom thereby getting rid of a lot of bloatware.

I like the fact that with this chartplotter I am not beholden to any licensing deal with any commercial supplier, that my device uses very little battery energy, and that it is packable in my side pocket.

I do realise that tablets (including iPads) have a weakness - poor contrast when viewed in sunlight or bright light. So I am passively on the lookout for a sunlight viewable Android tablet - let's hope they are on the way in the next year or two.
Marqus,

Thanks for the kind words and persevering against difficulties you experienced along the way with selinux. You're the first I know of who has done so.

My instructions exist only because I was a bored tinkerer with time on his hands and a modicum of experience using linux. Lots of credit go to others who pitched in to resolve the question of how to enable using GPS. To them goes a big THANKS!
Old 12-06-2015, 17:34   #365

While OpenCPN for android is still in the development stage, limitations affecting file management imposed by the android operating system on users compels me to provide the following information.

Any user who's device has android versions preceding 4.3 (Lollipop) can follow my instructions here: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage and afterward realize the following advantages.

The linux operating system installed by Linux Deploy may be installed either as a loop file or partition structure on your internal sdcard (main storage) or on an external sd card. This means OpenCPN, it's configuration files and charts can reside on both at the same time. You can install the charts on the internal sdcard and access them from either installation. Which installation you use is determined by settings in Linux Deploy that can be changed at will. If the charts are installed on the external sdcard, you'll always have them no matter which device you use...

Provided Linux Deploy is installed on a device, the external sdcard can be used to run OpenCPN on that device. So, if one device is damaged and you have another backup device with Linux Deploy on it, swap your external sdcard into it and your good to go.

The advantage of using an external sdcard is capacity. Properly formatted, most android phones and tablets can use a 32 gigabyte card. If you were to split that between the maximum size allowable for a vfat partition (4 Gb) for storage of media and other files and use the remainder (ext3 file system) for your linux/OpenCPN installation, there will be more than enough to install all of your charts and other linux programs you wish to use.

Because your device is rooted you can use a root type android file manager to perform any operation you wish (with a few exceptions related to permissions and ownership) on any file.

Hopefully OpenCPN for android will overcome obstacles related to file management in the not too distant future. In the meanwhile I just want you too be aware another option is available.
Old 12-06-2015, 18:22   #366

Quote:
Thanks for that input RhythmDoctor, and also your earlier post on OpenCPN menu text size.

Any chance you could say which tablets (models) have viable sunlight viewable screens, and also whether they have built-in GPS?
Lenovo Miix2 8" has the brightest screen I've seen, and also has internal GPS. There are some tricks to getting internal GPS to work under Windows 8, and some other quirks specific to the Miix2:

Windows 8 Tablets for OpenCPN

Touch Screens and Tablets | Official OpenCPN Homepage

I also have an Acer Switch 10 (newer SW5-012 series, not the older SW5-011 series) that is very bright. It does NOT have internal GPS. For it I would recommend an external GPS that transmits over Bluetooth (Globalsat BT-338 or similar), and pull in the GPS using the tablet's Bluetooth.

Most of these tablets have very glossy screens that give glare problems in bright sunlight. But a matte finish screen protector knocks that out very inexpensively. That and other important tips are contained in the links above.
Old 13-06-2015, 08:34   #367

Quote:
Lenovo Miix2 8" has the brightest screen I've seen, and also has internal GPS. There are some tricks to getting internal GPS to work under Windows 8, and some other quirks specific to the Miix2:

Windows 8 Tablets for OpenCPN

Touch Screens and Tablets | Official OpenCPN Homepage

I also have an Acer Switch 10 (newer SW5-012 series, not the older SW5-011 series) that is very bright. It does NOT have internal GPS. For it I would recommend an external GPS that transmits over Bluetooth (Globalsat BT-338 or similar), and pull in the GPS using the tablet's Bluetooth.

Most of these tablets have very glossy screens that give glare problems in bright sunlight. But a matte finish screen protector knocks that out very inexpensively. That and other important tips are contained in the links above.
RythmDoctor,

Given this discussion pertains to OpenCPN on android devices, do you have any knowledge of androids available now or in the near future that are promoted for use in sunlight?

Thanks
Old 13-06-2015, 14:21   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
RythmDoctor,

Given this discussion pertains to OpenCPN on android devices, do you have any knowledge of androids available now or in the near future that are promoted for use in sunlight?

Thanks
No. I doubt anyone is going to promote any low priced tablet for use in sunlight because it would likely raise expectations too much and lead to returns. The best bet is shopping around (online and in person) and finding the tablets that are the brightest. Test them in the store, buy a matte finish screen protector, and enjoy. There are some out there that are brighter than all the others, you just need to find them.
Old 14-06-2015, 08:27   #369

Quote:
No. I doubt anyone is going to promote any low priced tablet for use in sunlight because it would likely raise expectations too much and lead to returns.
So, you are saying "low cost" android tablets are not candidates for anti-glare technology? A person can only expect anti-glare technology in more expensive tablets running Windows? The suggestion is of course preposterous. Would be better if you just say I don't know and I don't plan on finding out either.

Quote:
The best bet is shopping around (online and in person) and finding the tablets that are the brightest. Test them in the store, buy a matte finish screen protector, and enjoy. There are some out there that are brighter than all the others, you just need to find them.
Sameo, sameo.
Old 14-06-2015, 13:17   #370

Quote:
So, you are saying "low cost" android tablets are not candidates for anti-glare technology? A person can only expect anti-glare technology in more expensive tablets running Windows? The suggestion is of course preposterous...
You're right, it is preposterous. But it's YOUR SUGGESTION, not mine. There are low cost tablets available running Windows or Android. Some of them are surprisingly bright. But AFAIK, not of them are "promoted" as being daylight viewable, for the reasons that I stated before.

"Anti-glare technology" is easily retrofitted by applying a matte finish screen protector that can be purchased for a few dollars. Those can be found pre-cut to fit both Android and Windows tablets, as I said in my prior reply to Marqus. He then asked me what Windows tablets I knew about, and I responded to his question.

You seem to have a serious chip on your shoulder when it comes to tablets. It's not helpful to turn everything into a Windows vs. Android battle.
Quote:
..Would be better if you just say I don't know and I don't plan on finding out either...
Due to your hostile response, I'll know to ignore your questions in the future.

I will continue to be helpful to Marqus and others who appreciate my assistance.
Old 14-06-2015, 13:58   #371

Originally posted by RythmDoctor;
Quote:
......as I said in my prior reply to Marqus. He then asked me what Windows tablets I knew about, and I responded to his question.
Your history is easily drawn out and consists of repeated intrusions into my thread devoted to android devices. If you want to promote phones and tablets with the Windows operating system, do it elsewhere. Marqus did not ask specifically about Windows tablets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqus;

Quote:
Originally posted by Marqus;

Quote:

RythmDoctor,

Thanks
Your response was clearly a slight aimed at android devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor;

No. I doubt anyone is going to promote any low priced tablet for use in sunlight because it would likely raise expectations too much and lead to returns.
Take it someplace else.
Old 14-06-2015, 14:54   #372

Returning the focus of this thread on how to install and run OpenCPN on android tablets in a linux chroot environment.

Instructions are here: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Old 14-06-2015, 15:01   #373

This is just silly and childish. I have nothing against Android devices. I love my Android phone, and have OpenCPN alpha running on it. I can't wait until a stable release of O is ready to install on native Android devices. The more the merrier.

After I mentioned Windows tablets, Marqus asked which ones I have, and I told him. Plain and simple. I was being helpful. I'm not "promoting" anything, just giving my personal experience in direct response to direct questions. Taken in the full context of the thread, he was asking about Windows tablets:

Quote:
I have a couple of Windows tablets that are bright enough to be viewable in sunlight....
Quote:

Quote:
Lenovo Miix2 8" has the brightest screen I've seen, and also has internal GPS...
Since you want to dominate this thread without interlopers like myself, then you answer your own question (which you originally posed to me): What daylight viewable tablets do you recommend?

Eagerly awaiting your response...
Old 14-06-2015, 15:52   #374

Boat: Rawson 30 PH

addressing the subject at hand... in bright daylight i find the galaxy tab3 to be quite visible even with the sun directly from behind, a matte screen protector is a real need, and I will be purchasing one soon, but quite usable as is, with polarized sunglasses
Old 15-06-2015, 09:51   #375

Yes, keeping in mind that this thread was launched as an "enduring" thread for aiding CHROOT linux installation rather than one of the million transient ones, I should probably not have drawn the conversation to tablet brightness. Sorry 'bout that gents.

I'm still interested in that conversation, but I will start a thread about outdoor viewable tablets in an appropriate sub-forum (hope you take a look that one, RhythmDoctor). Tablet brightness is not really a CHroot or even Linux issue.

Back to the core business of CHROOT - when I installed LinuxDeploy, there was an option called "Installation Type" and I went with the default value being "File" (the others were Partition and Custom).

So my current understanding is that my entire Linux Root-and-below directory structure ended up as a 'virtual' structure living inside a big IMG file in an Android directory (I can see the file in path storage/sdcard/0/linuxdeploy/ in my case).

This means an app like FX Explorer cannot "see" inside that directory structure (inside the IMG file).

So question: How does one go about getting LinuxDeploy to install such that it establishes the Linux root-and-below directory structure as a 'normal' folder structure hanging off a branch of the standard Android folder structure? You'd think that to be the simplest form of "chroot".

Is it by choosing "Partition" or "Custom" instead of "File" in the Installation Type config?

Tags
opencpn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: