Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2015, 08:37   #331

Boat: 40ft fibreglass sloop
Re: OpenCpn Install on Android Tablets Easier Now.

Rebooted both LinuxDeploy and bVNC - nice clean desktop, but I take it there are supposed to be some standard icons visible.

I did play with the "scaling" - chose the "fit-to-screen" option - but no icons.

Installation settings review:

- Desktop = Xfce
- GUI = ticked
- Graphics subsystem = VNC
- Desktop Environment = yes
- VNC server = yes
- X server = unticked

This X-server not being ticked for the linux Install - can that have an impact?

If yes, can I fix the X-server status without losing all the downloads and installs I have done?
Marqus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:48   #332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqus View Post
This is what I see:

Attachment 101491
After making sure Linux Deploy settings are as in my last post and the Desktop was downloaded and installed...

Check your Linux Deploy installation settings to make sure start with GUI is enabled and your GUI settings match your device display size...

Looks like your display is set to landscape rather than portrait. Is auto-rotate in your android settings enabled? Set to landscape only?

Leave the X settings as be...
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:11   #333

Linux Deploy settings as per your post (with X-server remains unticked).

GUI start enabled and GUI size setting match device pixels.

Auto-rotate now enabled but desktop appearance unchanged.

Thanks for your help, Wrong, invaluable.

My install has made some very good progress, but I'll have to try again tomorrow (bit late where I am). I'll check in the morning in case you posted any other suggestions.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:47   #334

Quote:
Linux Deploy settings as per your post (with X-server remains unticked).

GUI start enabled and GUI size setting match device pixels.

Auto-rotate now enabled but desktop appearance unchanged.

Thanks for your help, Wrong, invaluable.

My install has made some very good progress, but I'll have to try again tomorrow (bit late where I am). I'll check in the morning in case you posted any other suggestions.
O.k.

Open the android terminal then,

'su' <enter>
/data/local/linux/bin/linuxdeploy shell

Using FX file explorer navigate to /data/local/linux/mnt/var/cache/apt/archives

If it's populated with files, in the android terminal:

'cd /var/cache/apt/archives' <enter>
'dpkg -i ./*.deb <enter>

Let the install run to the end.

Mount the system with Linux Deploy and launch bVNC. Hopefully if any files were not for some reason during the Linux Deploy download, installed, they have been now.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:04   #335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
O.k.

Open the android terminal then,

'su' <enter>
/data/local/linux/bin/linuxdeploy shell

Using FX file explorer navigate to /data/local/linux/mnt/var/cache/apt/archives

If it's populated with files, in the android terminal:

'cd /var/cache/apt/archives' <enter>
'dpkg -i ./*.deb <enter>

Let the install run to the end.

Mount the system with Linux Deploy and launch bVNC. Hopefully if any files were not for some reason during the Linux Deploy download, installed, they have been now.
Marquis,

If the steps above don't cure your missing "desktop" with icons it's most likely because the download using Linux Deploy was incomplete.

Check /data/local/linux/mnt/var/cache/archives for the presence of 'xfce' files. If they're not there:

Using the android terminal login as root, su <enter>.
/data/local/linux/bin/linuxdeploy shell <enter>
Then, making sure you have a good connection to the internet, 'apt-get install xfce4 xfce4-goodies' <enter>

If already installed there'll be a message to this effect. Otherwise, xfce4 & dependencies will download and install.

Linux Deploy, bVNC - what do you see now?
Old 10-05-2015, 08:33   #336

Wrong

I did the install of the Xfce4 files as per your instructions, and it did download files and included a message:

"0 upgraded, 96 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 25MB of archives"

However, after completion, I ran two different VNC clients and got the same outcome:

- shows a message announcing "Android's X desktop"
- then shows a red no-go sign with msg "Unable to contact settings server", with details to the effect the SElinux policy prevents the sender from sending some stuff....

So it seems SElinux could be an obstacle here.

I am running Android 5.1 (Lollipop) on a rooted Nexus 7, and a status check reveals that SElinux is in "enforced" status. I have been able to change that to "permissive" status temporarily, but the VNC client produces the same above messages every time.

I may have to flash a custom ROM to try to get around SElinux.

You mentioned that you run CyanogenMod 11 and that it explicitly allows you to "disable" SElinux, rather than just change it to "permissive"?

If you have experienced any deficits, bugs or frustrations with CM11, please mention that to forewarn me.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:54   #337

Quote:
Wrong

I did the install of the Xfce4 files as per your instructions, and it did download files and included a message:

"0 upgraded, 96 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 25MB of archives"

However, after completion, I ran two different VNC clients and got the same outcome:

- shows a message announcing "Android's X desktop"
- then shows a red no-go sign with msg "Unable to contact settings server", with details to the effect the SElinux policy prevents the sender from sending some stuff....

So it seems SElinux could be an obstacle here.

I am running Android 5.1 (Lollipop) on a rooted Nexus 7, and a status check reveals that SElinux is in "enforced" status. I have been able to change that to "permissive" status temporarily, but the VNC client produces the same above messages every time.

I may have to flash a custom ROM to try to get around SElinux.

You mentioned that you run CyanogenMod 11 and that it explicitly allows you to "disable" SElinux, rather than just change it to "permissive"?

If you have experienced any deficits, bugs or frustrations with CM11, please mention that to forewarn me.
Marqus,

What a bummer. I believe you are the first to encounter the selinux issue with Lollipop. Google is doing everything it can to hold users captive to their marketing schemes under the guise of "protecting" us...

Because XDA-Developers limits inquiries to members with a minimum number of posts, I'll ask about the selinux issue for you in the Nexus forum.

In the meanwhile, you may find the questions and answers are already on XDA.

Did you reboot after putting selinux into permissive mode? Also, is it possible to disable selinux entirely? A reboot is usually required in order to alter file permissions after changing selinux settings.

Selinux is disabled by default in my custom Cyanogenmod ROM.

There may also be changes in Lollipop that prevent installing a custom ROM, even if the device is rooted. Check out the Nexus forums on installing custom ROMS, especially on the Cyanogenmod forum. My experience with Cyanogenmod is excellent, so I'd expect there's no reason your experience should be any different.

Addendum: Found this on my first search attempt:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...anger-t2525768

Check it out.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:50   #338

Marqus,

Looks like development of custom ROMS for your device is in the very early stages. See:
Nexus 7 - XDA Forums

Hopefully the linked selinux fix in my last post will work for you.

Anyone considering using OpenCPN in a chroot environment per my instructions is encouraged to obtain pre-Lollipop devices with a maxim resolution of 1280 x 720.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:27   #339

I'm a bit confused by the different Nexus variants generally referred to by year and whether they are WIFI or WIFI/3g models. Within these variants are different model numbers assigned by Samsung.

My sense is a rooting method "CF-auto-root" may work to address the selinux issue. The CF refers to 'chainfire', the developer.

Problem is most information I find refers to android-5.0 Lollipop, the first version to enable selinux 'out of the box'. Some who have used CF-auto-root claim it works with android-5.1 too.

What can I say? If this fix doesn't work http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...anger-t2525768 and your game give it a go.

Relevant links:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2025272
SuperSU BETA: Root Android Lollipop on Stock Kernel - XDA Forums
Root Nexus 7 2012 WiFi on Android Lollipop Using CF-Auto-Root
Old 10-05-2015, 14:53   #340

Quote:
Marqus,

Looks like development of custom ROMS for your device is in the very early stages. See:
Nexus 7 - XDA Forums

Hopefully the linked selinux fix in my last post will work for you.

Anyone considering using OpenCPN in a chroot environment per my instructions is encouraged to obtain pre-Lollipop devices with a maxim resolution of 1280 x 720.
I'm standing by my recommendation anyone wanting to use OpenCPN per my instructions Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage avoids using any device with android 5.0 (Lollipop) or later due to the fact selinux is enabled by default.

However, I'll hedge on the issue of resolutions greater than 1280 x 720. Dave's work on the android version of OpenCPN is included in the source file we use in my instructions. And, since I don't have a device with a resolution higher than 1280 x 720, I can't possibly know if the higher resolution is a problem for you. So, be your own judge. I can guarantee devices with the lower resolution will display OpenCPN properly and 'O' is easy to use. So, if you are contemplating buying an android, to be on the safe side and stick with the lower resolution devices...
Old 10-05-2015, 15:40   #341

Another important link if you're thinking of using CF-auto-root on your nexus (or other device) with Lollipop to overcome the selinux issue that prevents using OpenCPN via Linux Deploy and Free bVNC.
https://autoroot.chainfire.eu/
Old 11-05-2015, 18:40   #342

Thanks for the above info, Wrong.

I used XDA forum advice to change my SElinux status to "permissive" but for some reason despite that, my VNC client still reports an SElinux error when it tries to connect.

My plan to get around SElinux: flash a lean, unbloated custom Rom without SElinux onto my tablet and do the whole LinuxDeploy and OpenCPN install again.

I will retain a Nandroid backup of my Lollipop stock Rom so I can revert if the custom Rom does not work out for some reason.

By the way, you explicitly mention screen size 1280x720. I assume my tablet being 1280 x 800 should not be a problem.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:47   #343

Quote:
Thanks for the above info, Wrong.

I used XDA forum advice to change my SElinux status to "permissive" but for some reason despite that, my VNC client still reports an SElinux error when it tries to connect.

My plan to get around SElinux: flash a lean, unbloated custom Rom without SElinux onto my tablet and do the whole LinuxDeploy and OpenCPN install again.

I will retain a Nandroid backup of my Lollipop stock Rom so I can revert if the custom Rom does not work out for some reason.

By the way, you explicitly mention screen size 1280x720. I assume my tablet being 1280 x 800 should not be a problem.
Marqus,

Did you try the application, SELinux Mode Changer. [APP]SELinux Mode Changer. | Google Nexus 5 | XDA Forums

If that didn't work did you try CF-auto-root? https://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

Anyone planning on trying CF-auto-root must pay close attention to remarks discussing unlocked and locked devices before proceeding.

Somehow I thought your resolution was higher than 1280 x 800. If not your good. Still, those with higher resolutions should give it a go. Dave's features being added to the android version may overcome the challenges encountered by higher resolution users.

Can you point me to the ROM you plan on using before your installation?

Thanks
Old 12-05-2015, 18:16   #344

Quote:

Can you point me to the ROM you plan on using before your installation?

Thanks
Wrong I'm keen on trying SLIM ROM ver3.1.0 for Nexus 7. This is a "stable" version from 2013 (thus pre-selinux) and the main attraction is that it is relatively lean - only 80MB versus the 150MB of many other ROMs.

I am not looking for android "bells and whistles", just after KISS - simple, bug-free, small-memory footrpint platform for GPS, OpenCPN and email.
Old 13-05-2015, 07:49   #345

Quote:
Wrong I'm keen on trying SLIM ROM ver3.1.0 for Nexus 7. This is a "stable" version from 2013 (thus pre-selinux) and the main attraction is that it is relatively lean - only 80MB versus the 150MB of many other ROMs.

I am not looking for android "bells and whistles", just after KISS - simple, bug-free, small-memory footrpint platform for GPS, OpenCPN and email.
I couldn't find specific info. for ver3.1.0, but a ROM with "Privacy Guard" included is worth considering. The gaaps is typically what adds bloat, so you have two choices there. Either add the standard gapps and remove what you don't want, or if it's available select a minimal gaaps. App Quarantine and Advanced Task Killer Free are available from Google Play and provide great control over apps that launch themselves...

Of course you'll want to make sure there are no issues related to using the gps in particular with your preferred ROM.

Have fun.

Tags
opencpn