Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-03-2015, 10:45   #316

Re: OpenCpn Install on Android Tablets Easier Now.

In response to positive criticism concerning the complexity of my instructions new, simplified instructions are up at Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Additional comments and constructive criticism are welcome.

Old 27-04-2015, 21:14   #317

Boat: 40ft fibreglass sloop
Questions re Instructions for Moto Xoom install

Thanks again member "Wrong" and others for sharing time and expertise with the Linux based install.

Couple of questions from me as a rank Linux beginner:

1) The Motorola Xoom instructions say to log in as "su", which changes the home directory to that of the 'root' user (I think).

Then you download OpenCPN while logged in as root.

But then you have to replace the "CMakelists" file in a directory called "/home/android/Downloads/OpenCPN", which is the home directory of the user "android" and not of the root. But I find that my /home/android directory has no OpenCPN inside.

Am I reading the instructions wrongly - should I have downloaded OpenCPN into the "android" user's home folder?

2) I have installed FX Explorer and turned on the root option (my device is obviously rooted). I can see the top level "/". However, despite searching all over, I cannot "see", in FX Explorer, the "/home" or "/home/android" folders at all.
Though in my terminal emulator, I can easily navigate to those folders.
Why?

Thanks
Marqus

Old 28-04-2015, 09:28   #318

Re: Questions re Instructions for Moto Xoom install

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqus View Post
Thanks again member "Wrong" and others for sharing time and expertise with the Linux based install.

Couple of questions from me as a rank Linux beginner:

1) The Motorola Xoom instructions say to log in as "su", which changes the home directory to that of the 'root' user (I think).
Most important is you become the root user. And yes, you will be in the 'root' filesystem. But, this is not the same as the root operator's '/root' home filesystem. All of the sub-filesystems are organized below "/". /boot, /etc, /lib, /home, /opt, /root, /usr, var and so on. For security reasons we typically avoid creating new filesystems below "/" that are not part of the linux filesystem. So:

Enter the '/home' directory from within the terminal by typing:
cd /home
and press <enter>
'mkdir Downloads'
and press <enter>

Next type:
'cd Downloads'
and press <enter

Quote:
But then you have to replace the "CMakelists" file in a directory called "/home/android/Downloads/OpenCPN", which is the home directory of the user "android" and not of the root. But I find that my /home/android directory has no OpenCPN inside.
When you follow my instructions above you will 'cd' (change directory) to /home/android/Downloads.

The next step downloads OpenCPN which creates "OpenCPN"...

Quote:
Am I reading the instructions wrongly - should I have downloaded OpenCPN into the "android" user's home folder?
Yes, but to /home/android/Downloads

Quote:
2) I have installed FX Explorer and turned on the root option (my device is obviously rooted). I can see the top level "/". However, despite searching all over, I cannot "see", in FX Explorer, the "/home" or "/home/android" folders at all.
Though in my terminal emulator, I can easily navigate to those folders.
Why?
Try navigating to the linux filesystem thusly and let me know the result. /data/local/linux/mnt

Quote:
Thanks
Marqus
Old 28-04-2015, 10:09   #319

I have completed the install instructions past the point of downloading OpenCPN, and completed the download.

It is when I try to replace the Cmake file that I discover there is no "Downloads" folder inside /home/android.

But I found one inside /home, and it contains a folder called OpenCPN.

So my confusion is just that, per the instructions, the Downloads folder was created while you are in /home, therefore it should rightly exist as /home/Downloads.

But the Cmake file instructions seem to assume the Downloads folder was created in /home/android. Is that a typo error or am I missing something due to being a linux apprentice?
Old 28-04-2015, 10:30   #320

Quote:
I have completed the install instructions past the point of downloading OpenCPN, and completed the download.

It is when I try to replace the Cmake file that I discover there is no "Downloads" folder inside /home/android.

But I found one inside /home, and it contains a folder called OpenCPN.

So my confusion is just that, per the instructions, the Downloads folder was created while you are in /home, therefore it should rightly exist as /home/Downloads.

But the Cmake file instructions seem to assume the Downloads folder was created in /home/android. Is that a typo error or am I missing something due to being a linux apprentice?
Thanks. You have brought my attention to an error in the instructions.

The /home filesystem is where normal users filesystems are created. /home/John, /home/Jane, /home/android, etc.

The second line in my last post giving the instructions should be cd /home/android, not cd /home!

Since /home/OpenCPN cannot simply be copied over to /home/android/Downloads without substantial editing of the CmakeCache.txt file I recommend you do the following:

Delete /home/OpenCPN

Enter the '/home' directory from within the terminal by typing:
cd /home/android
and press <enter>
'mkdir Downloads'
and press <enter>

Next type:
'cd Downloads'
and press <enter

Sorry. I'll edit the instructions immediately.
Old 28-04-2015, 10:45   #321

Thanks very much for that caution about not copying OpenCPN over.

That was exactly the cunning plan I had hatched to "fix" my structure.
Old 01-05-2015, 17:04   #322

If anyone is having problems compiling OpenCPN it's because version 4.1.427 is downloading from the Git repository now. Not 4.0.0 So, the requirement to download the CmakeTexts.txt file no longer applies. The bug in the CmakeTexts.txt file has been fixed. My instructions have been edited to reflect this change.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:01   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
If anyone is having problems compiling OpenCPN it's because version 4.1.427 is downloading from the Git repository now. Not 4.0.0 So, the requirement to download the CmakeTexts.txt file no longer applies. The bug in the CmakeTexts.txt file has been fixed. My instructions have been edited to reflect this change.
I'm going through the steps to compile OpenCPN on LinuxDeploy again.

After OpenCPN has been downloaded, the "cmake" instruction references the directory "/home/Downloads/OpenCPN".

Is that a typo?

I am assuming it should read "/home/android/Downloads/OpenCPN", and that is what I have used.

Not done yet, so can't report the outcome. The "build" action seems to take forever - should it be taking more than a couple of minutes?
Old 06-05-2015, 08:35   #324

Quote:
I'm going through the steps to compile OpenCPN on LinuxDeploy again.

After OpenCPN has been downloaded, the "cmake" instruction references the directory "/home/Downloads/OpenCPN".

Is that a typo?

I am assuming it should read "/home/android/Downloads/OpenCPN", and that is what I have used.

Not done yet, so can't report the outcome. The "build" action seems to take forever - should it be taking more than a couple of minutes?
You are of course absolutely right. I'll edit the instructions...

Compilation this version takes longer than any other I remember. As long as it continues with no errors your good to go.

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2015, 08:39   #325

bVNC problem

After the compilation of OpenCPN, I seem to get errors when trying to connect with bVNC.

Firstly, my bVNC (version 3.7.6) seems to have a different set of configuration settings than those noted in the instructions.

I include a photo of my bVNC settings page. It does not have "server type" or "o/s type" settings. May not be material, but when I press the Connect button, I get the following two error messages:

1) "Unable to contact Settings Server. An SE Linux Policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient ... (and then some attribute values)

2) "Unable to load a failsafe session. Unable to determine failsafe session name."

Any linux expert assistance would be much appreciated.

I can confirm that my LinuxDeploy startup log states that VNC service started on port 5900, and SSH service on 22.

It seems I am close to running OpenCPN; hopefully this VNC service problem is the last hurdle.

I noted that there are a few VNC viewers in the Play Store - if it makes sense to try a different one let me know.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bVNC_v376_settings.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	101490
Old 06-05-2015, 09:03   #326

Re: bVNC problem

Quote:
After the compilation of OpenCPN, I seem to get errors when trying to connect with bVNC.

Firstly, my bVNC (version 3.7.6) seems to have a different set of configuration settings than those noted in the instructions.

I include a photo of my bVNC settings page. It does not have "server type" or "o/s type" settings. May not be material, but when I press the Connect button, I get the following two error messages:

1) "Unable to contact Settings Server. An SE Linux Policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient ... (and then some attribute values)

2) "Unable to load a failsafe session. Unable to determine failsafe session name."

Any linux expert assistance would be much appreciated.

I can confirm that my LinuxDeploy startup log states that VNC service started on port 5900, and SSH service on 22.

It seems I am close to running OpenCPN; hopefully this VNC service problem is the last hurdle.

I noted that there are a few VNC viewers in the Play Store - if it makes sense to try a different one let me know.

Attachment 101490
Try changing localhost:0 to localhost.

If you have entered a vnc password, try "changeme".

What happens?
Old 06-05-2015, 09:11   #327

Thanks for the help, Wrong.

Now VNC desktop launches without errors, all looking much better.

Getting a nice blank screen with 4 arrow buttons and 6 special keys (Tab, Alt, shift, Ctl, Super).

So looking good. How do I raise the Apps menu? My tablet's menu feature raises a menu with choices like InputMode, Scaling, SendKeys, SendText, Info etc.etc but no Apps list.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:14   #328

Re: bVNC problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Try changing localhost:0 to localhost.

If you have entered a vnc password, try "changeme".

What happens?
First time for everything. If you get the same kind of output again open your android settings module. I have no idea where you'll find it, but poke around until you find mention of "selinux". Make sure it's disabled.

I've never encountered an install from Linux Deploy where "selinux" is enabled in any linux flavour. Doubt this would be the issue.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:17   #329

Blank screen?

No linux desktop with visible icons?

Try stopping linux using Linux Deploy. Restart. Relaunch bVNC.

What now?

If no desktop is visible check your Linux Deploy installation settings and make sure the linux GUI was downloaded and installed. Desktop environment should be XFCE. Desktop Components should have Desktop Environment selected too.

Use the android back button and hopefully Liinux Deploy will update and begin the download and installation of the Desktop. If not, in Linux Deploy under Settings (three vertical dots) tap on Update Environment. If that doesn't start the download go back to the Install options (downward pointing arrow) and tap on Reconfigure...
Old 06-05-2015, 09:22   #330

This is what I see:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Desktop1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	101491

Tags
opencpn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: