Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 22-07-2013, 06:37   #286

Re: OpenCpn install on android tablets easier now.

Download FX, File Explorer and FX, File Manager Root file manager from Google Play. It is the best file manager I've used so far, but you may want to give others a try too.

Having already rooted your device, you should have Super User installed. Whenever you start an application like File Explorer that needs root access, Super User will appear and ask for your permission.

Open the application and tap on "System Root". Super User should ask for your permission.

Navigate to /data/local/linux/mnt/"wherever you will be putting your charts".

The default location is /usr/share/opencpn/charts. But, you will need to create the directory "charts" whether you put your charts here or in your /home/android/ directory.

Inside File Explorer at your preferred location for the charts tap on "File". Create the new folder called "charts".

Navigate back to wherever your charts are presently located, internal or external micro SD card. If you have not copied the charts from your computer yet, it is easier to remove the Micro SD card from your device and copy directly to it from the computer. If your computer does not have the right size slot for this, USB card readers are available cheap. Use one.

Once on your SD Card and the card is reinserted to your device use FX File Explorer to copy your charts to either /usr/share/opencpn/charts or /home/android/charts.

Long press on the "charts" directory on your external SD Card. You will be given choices of what to do. Tap on copy. Navigate to the location you prefer in linux then tap on the icon in the upper right corner of File Explorer. Your choices will be presented. Tap on the appropriate selection.

Wait until the charts copy to the directory.

MAKE CERTAIN YOUR CHARTS HAVE THE RIGHT PERMISSIONS! You can do this with the following command.

"chmod -R /home/android/charts (or /usr/share/opencpn/charts) --reference=/home/android/.local then press enter.

I used /.local because it's permissions are rwxr-xr-x Any other directory with these permissions can be used instead.

All that remains is to start OpenCPN and install the charts!
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 15:47   #287

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
OK, got the file manager, my data/local/Linux/mnt has 4 folders in it - no usr. Virtually no data in them. Yet, in ocpn in the chart dir, under file system I can see the usr dir etc as you describe. I just can't find that on the android side! I even used fx to search from root - no luck. Its like the Linux system is hidden from android? Have I missed a check box or something?
The for your help!
Old 23-07-2013, 03:24   #288

Here is another success story. Before buying some suitable hardware I wanted to try OpenCPN under LinuxDeploy on existing hardware first. I have an old Advent Vega compatible tablet running the VegaBean ROM (Android 4.1). I feel fairly comfortable with Linux and have a desktop computer running Linux Mint at home. Essentially I followed armido's instructions “Building on Motorola Xoom“ at opencpn.org. Since I had to partition my sdcard anyhow (my ROM needs a fat32 and an ext4 partition) I just made a third 8 GB large ext4 partition for LinuxDeploy using gparted. In Android Terminal Emulator I found that that partition was /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 (su ; mount ; ls -l /dev/block). So I told LinuxDeploy to do a partition install giving it that name and to use an ext4 file system. I installed Ubuntu Precise because I feel more comfortable with it than with Debian. All went well. After LinuxDeploy was started I could connect from my desktop computer to the tablet via ssh (Windows users may use Putty). So I could comfortably copy paste armido's instructions to build OpenCPN. Dependencies and commands are identical for Ubuntu Precise. OpenCPN is running.
What about charts? Since I had chosen a partition to install which my Linux desktop computer could read/write I could insert the sdcard into the desktop and copy the charts over.
Next step GPS: My tablet does not have GPS but I have a cheap bluetooth GPS dongle which transmits NMEA. First I tried sevanopula's method in post 163 of this thread. I somehow failed. Then I tried to follow OpenCPN's official instructions Setting Up GPS | Official OpenCPN Homepage , Ubuntu 12.04. Since information of external Bluetooth GPS is a bit sparse in this thread and seems not to be tailored for our chrooted install I try to remember how I succeeded last night.

First I made sure that the GPS was not paired with Android, then
apt-get install bluez nano
That was all what I needed to install. nano is a command line text editor.
hcitool scan
The mac address of my dongle is 00:1C:88:01:08:09
sdptool records 00:1C:88:01:08:09
Yes the channel number is 1. So I made the following file using nano
/etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf

rfcomm0 {
bind yes;
device 00:1C:88:01:08:09;
channel 1;
comment "iBT-GPS";
}

Registered that file for later usage:
rfcomm bind 0
“bind” is enough. It generates a device node, in my case /dev/rfcomm0. The connection to the dongle will be established when one reads from that node. Try it
cat /dev/rfcomm0
At least some NMEA sentences should become visible in the terminal, stop it
Ctrl-C
The /dev/rfcomm0 had still wrong permissions, only root had access. Apparently the chrooted Linux does not obey udev rules. My user which runs OpenCPN is android and in the group android. That is the default for a LinuxDeploy installation. He has to be allowed to read the NMEA data. I wanted to setup everything when Linux is started. So I made the next file using nano:
/etc/init.d/myscript

#!/bin/bash

/usr/bin/rfcomm bind 0
/bin/chgrp android /dev/rfcomm0
/bin/chmod g+rw /dev/rfcomm0

Made that file executable:
chmod a+x /etc/init.d/myscript
I told LinuxDeploy to run that script during startup by tagging “Custom startup”. In OpenCPN > Options > Connections > Add Connection, scroll down > DataPort I entered /dev/rfcomm0 and pressed apply. And there they were, green NMEA sentences in the debug window and three green bars in the top right corner.

Linux bluetooth seems to change constantly and one never knows which instructions are up to date for which distribution. This was for Ubuntu Precise (12.04), Debian Wheezy may be similar.
Regards
Michael
mrickma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 04:55   #289

@NZ8720 regarding /data/local/linux/mnt

I guess they are mount points which the Linux kernel uses during startup. Before LinuxDeploy is started I have only three subdirectories, dev, proc, sys in above folder and they are all empty. The real Linux system can only be run after the kernel has started and mounted all the other stuff on /data/local/linux/mnt. So where is the other stuff? For a loop install/mount contained in one file some file somewhere, for a partition install/mount in the partition you selected for installation. After LinuxDeploy is started the file or partion is mounted on /data/local/linux/mnt and its contents changes to the linux root file system. There is /usr, /home/android (the user directory) and /home/download (where you compiled).
Michael
Old 23-07-2013, 05:25   #290

Sorry, I have to correct my previous post. The kernel is already running for android. The empty directories are needed for starting the chrooted Linux environment. When that is started the whole root file system becomes visible.
Michael
Old 23-07-2013, 05:31   #291

Michael,

Glad to see you here.

NZ8720,

Did you install both FX File Explorer and FX File Explorer Root?

Is Super User or SuperSU installed? Did Super User ask for permission and did you grant access to the root file system?

Your linux distro and OpenCPN would not run if there was no /usr.

Wrong
Old 23-07-2013, 05:52   #292

Attention Xoom owners!

For a variety of reasons the EOS development of custom ROMs for the Xoom has ceased. Visit this link:

TeamEos joins CodeFireX discussion and testing - xda-developers

to understand why and for information about the new project.

I have a copy of the last recommended custom ROM, #170 and the Gapps package. If there enough of you who express a desire for this ROM, I'll see if I can find someplace on the net to host these files.

Wrong

[ROM][4.2.2 JDQ39 AOSP] Eos 4.0 -- Umts_Everest - xda-developers
Old 23-07-2013, 07:04   #293

An additional note to Xoom owners (MZ601).

As of this morning it appears ROM #170 can still be downloaded from here:

Goo.im Downloads - Browsing umts_everest

Even if you have not yet decided to install a custom ROM on your MZ601 I recommend you download #170 and the Gapps package while you still can!

Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-jb-20130413-EOS-XOOM-ONLY.zip

Wrong
Old 25-07-2013, 13:52   #294

Bringing forward links for;

1.) instructions installing linux and OpenCPN on android devices:

Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage

2.) Brief additional instructions for using Linux Deploy to install linux on android devices:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-107226.html

2.) How to get usb, built in and bluetooth g.p.s working with OpenCPN running in the chroot linux environment installed per instructions at link above:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-103649.html

Problems? Questions? Please post here
Old 28-07-2013, 10:15   #295

Re: OpenCpn Install on Android Tablets Easier Now.

Here are the steps I recall rooting a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 10.1 P5100 with Fedora Linux 18. Any linux variant should do. Debian or Ubuntu, use apt-get instead of yum to download and install files. When you have finished rooting your device USE CWM TO MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP OF YOUR SYSTEM. Store this on your computer. You can also choose to have CWM backup to an external MicroSD card.

If you have Windows see: [How To] ROOT- Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 [GT-P5113 / 5100 / 5110 & 4.0.4 UPGRADE or OEM] - xda-developers

From memory, so if I have erred somehow remember forgiveness is a virtue.

*!! From the settings module on your device turn on USB Debugging found in developer options!!

**On your computer:

*Connect to the internet.

*Open a terminal and log in as root.

su <enter>
provide requested root password <enter>

*Install Midnight Commander. Learn how to use this lightweight, double panel and fast file manager. Not hard...

Yum install (or apt-get) mc
<enter>

Open Midnight Commander.

mc <enter>

Commands you use are located along the bottom. Familiarize yourself with these key combinations.

*Create a directory called 'Downloads' then change to the directory.

Note: key combination Ctl-o will flip you back and forth between the Midnight Commander GUI and terminal view.

Flip to the terminal/console view using Ctl-o

*Install adb

yum install (or apt-get) adb <enter>

*Install heimdall, a linux equivalent of Odin on Windows.

yum install (or apt-get) heimdall heimdall-frontend <enter>

*Install necessary utilities.

yum (or apt-get) install crossover-utility ? <enter>

yum (or apt-get) install cross-binutils-common <enter>

*Install unrar for extracting .rar files.

yum (or apt-get) install unrar <enter>

*Download cwm_root_gtab2.zip from

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1030236&stc=1&d=133567 1930

*!!Copy cwm_root_gtab2.zip to external MicroSD card in device!!

*Download GT-P5100_ClockworkMod-Recovery_6.0.1.2_Touch.tar INSTEAD OF recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.2.7-p5100.img from:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B02Uc9IrgGXQZjAxRUhtMW96NUk/edit?pli=1#

*Extract the compressed file with:

tar --xvf ./G*.tar <enter> (See note below first and take note of the dot before the /)

(easier than providing full name "GT-P5100_ClockworkMod-Recovery_6.0.1.2_Touch.tar")
In linux this command is executed after navigating to the directory where the file resides. Very easy using Midnight Commander. Ctl-o flips over to terminal view. Then do the command...

*Change to the directory where you extracted GT-P5100_ClockworkMod-Recovery_6.0.1.2_Touch.tar producing a file called 'recovery.img'

*plug in your device.

*Put your device into 'download' mode.

adb reboot download <enter>

As I recall you'll see a red triangle on your device's screen...

adb devices -l <enter> (should see your device listed)

lsusb <enter> (should list your device)

heimdall detect <enter> (should return device detected)

heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img --no-reboot

heimdall flash --RECOVERY touch.img --no-reboot

What follows is from:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1657056

To avoid confusion about using the Volume rocker switch, I'll refer to side closest to POWER button as LEFT/Volume DOWN and side away from power switch as RIGHT/VolumeUP.

Disconnect tablet from computer. Turn tablet OFF and restart in recovery (CWM) by pushing and holding Power & Volume DOWN/LEFT buttons at same time. When Samsung Tab 2 10.1 logo appears, you can release power button but continue holding volume button for a few more seconds. Note: If you've done this on other Samsung devices, you will notice that it takes longer before blue CWM text appears ... just be patient.

Once you are in recovery, use volume button (UP/DOWN/LEFT OR RIGHT) to move around and POWER button to select an option.
Select install zip from sdcard. Choose cwm_root_gtab2.zip) file you already copied to root of the external sdcard. Note: I used this file rather than than philz...

When rooting is finished, choose reboot system now from CWM menu.

DONE !

You should now be rooted. Depending on your Tab2 model, you may need to manually install SuperUser and disable SuperSU before you can install or use all root goodies.

Now that your Tab 2 10.1 is rooted, I strongly suggest going to Play Store and install a free app called Quick Boot. It lets you reboot into CWM the easiest & fastest way. Then reboot into Recovery (CWM) and make a Backup BEFORE you do ANYTHING else to your tablet.
Old 28-07-2013, 10:55   #296

Note: Omit the step below in the last post

heimdall flash --RECOVERY touch.img --no-reboot
Old 08-08-2013, 11:35   #297

I've reworked the instructions for rooting the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 10.1 P5100 to simplify the process a bit.

Here are the steps I recall rooting a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 10.1 P5100 with Fedora Linux 18. Any linux variant should do. Debian or Ubuntu, use apt-get instead of yum to download and install files. When you have finished rooting your device USE CWM TO MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP OF YOUR SYSTEM. Store this on your computer. You can also choose to have CWM backup to an external MicroSD card.

If you have Windows see: [How To] ROOT- Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 [GT-P5113 / 5100 / 5110 & 4.0.4 UPGRADE or OEM] - xda-developers

From memory, so if I have erred somehow remember forgiveness is a virtue.

*!! From the settings module on your device turn on USB Debugging found in developer options!!

**On your computer:

*Connect to the internet.

*Open a terminal and log in as root.

su <enter>
provide requested root password <enter>

*Install Midnight Commander. Learn how to use this lightweight, double panel and fast file manager. Not hard...

Yum install (or apt-get) mc
<enter>

Open Midnight Commander.

mc <enter>

Commands you use are located along the bottom. Familiarize yourself with these key combinations.

*Create a directory called 'Downloads' then change to the directory.

Note: key combination Ctl-o will flip you back and forth between the Midnight Commander GUI and terminal view.

Flip to the terminal/console view using Ctl-o

*Install necessary utilities: adb, heimdall & heimdall-frontend, cross-binutils-common, and unrar

NOTE: In linux "heimdall" is the equivalent of "odin" in Windows.

Fedora Linux uses the "yum" package manager, Ubuntu and Debian "apt" to accomplish this. So, using the appropriate package manager at the prompt it will be:

yum install adb heimdall & heimdall-frontend cross-binutils-common unrar<enter>

OR

apt-get install adb heimdall & heimdall-frontend cross-binutils-common unrar<enter>

*Download cwm_root_gtab2.zip from:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1030236&stc=1&d=133567 1930

*!!Copy cwm_root_gtab2.zip to external MicroSD card in device!!

*Download GT-P5100_ClockworkMod-Recovery_6.0.1.2_Touch.tar INSTEAD OF recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.2.7-p5100.img from:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B02Uc9IrgGXQZjAxRUhtMW96NUk/edit?pli=1#

*Extract the compressed file with:

tar --xvf ./G*.tar <enter> (See note below first and take note of the dot before the /)

(easier than providing full name "GT-P5100_ClockworkMod-Recovery_6.0.1.2_Touch.tar")
In linux this command is executed after navigating to the directory where the file resides. Very easy using Midnight Commander. Ctl-o flips over to terminal view. Then do the command...

*Change to the directory where you extracted GT-P5100_ClockworkMod-Recovery_6.0.1.2_Touch.tar producing a file called 'recovery.img'

*plug in your device.

*Put your device into 'download' mode with the following command.

adb reboot download <enter>

As I recall you'll see a red triangle on your device's screen...

adb devices -l <enter> (should see your device listed)

lsusb <enter> (should list your device)

heimdall detect <enter> (should return device detected)

heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img --no-reboot

*Follow the steps below to complete rooting the device, from:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1657056

To avoid confusion about using the Volume rocker switch, I'll refer to side closest to POWER button as LEFT/Volume DOWN and side away from power switch as RIGHT/VolumeUP.

Disconnect tablet from computer. Turn tablet OFF and restart in recovery (CWM) by pushing and holding Power & Volume DOWN/LEFT buttons at same time. When Samsung Tab 2 10.1 logo appears, you can release power button but continue holding volume button for a few more seconds. Note: If you've done this on other Samsung devices, you will notice that it takes longer before blue CWM text appears ... just be patient.

Once you are in recovery, use volume button (UP/DOWN/LEFT OR RIGHT) to move around and POWER button to select an option.
Select install zip from sdcard. Choose cwm_root_gtab2.zip) file you already copied to root of the external sdcard. Note: I used this file rather than than philz...

When rooting is finished, choose reboot system now from CWM menu.

DONE !

You should now be rooted. Depending on your Tab2 model, you may need to manually install SuperUser and disable SuperSU before you can install or use all root goodies.

Now that your Tab 2 10.1 is rooted, I strongly suggest going to Play Store and install a free app called Quick Boot. It lets you reboot into CWM the easiest & fastest way. Then reboot into Recovery (CWM) and make a Backup BEFORE you do ANYTHING else to your tablet.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:37   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post

2.) Brief additional instructions for using Linux Deploy to install linux on android devices:

2.) How to get usb, built in and bluetooth g.p.s working with OpenCPN running in the chroot linux environment installed per instructions at link above:

For your reference.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:12   #299

A big disadvantage to how posting works here at Cruisers Forum is a poster cannot go back later and edit their post to correct errors.

So, be advised the ampersand in the instructions below should not be there.

yum install adb heimdall & heimdall-frontend cross-binutils-common unrar<enter>

OR

apt-get install adb heimdall & heimdall-frontend cross-binutils-common unrar<enter>

Should be:

yum install adb heimdall heimdall-frontend cross-binutils-common unrar<enter>

OR

apt-get install adb heimdall heimdall-frontend cross-binutils-common unrar<enter>

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:16   #300

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post

Success! Thanks to the instructions.

On my Nexus-7 (2013) I was able to install Debian-Wheezy, XFCE, plus OpenCPN. TurboGPS feeds the Nexus GPS-data to OpenCPN.

Some initial thoughts:
  • with a display resolution of 1920 x 1200 the opencpn buttons are tiny
  • TurboGPS seems buggy, only sees satellites when another program accesses the GPS (I have google maps running in the background, then it works)
Something to play with coming winter ;-)

Dirk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nexus7-opencpn.PNG
Views:	304
Size:	371.9 KB
ID:	66899  
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn