Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 15:41   #16

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"
Re: OpenCpn install on android tablets easier now.

sinbad7,

Everybody doesn't have the space or battery reserves to have onboard lan, wireless networks and to rely on a laptop - most which consume significant amperage that must be replaced one way or another. Solar panels are not cheap and require sufficient real estate to mount enough units to replenish batteries. Run the diesel engine?

Tablets consume miniscule amounts of amperage when plugged into the onboard grid. Unplugged they will run about 10 hours without a recharge. Much, much longer if put in sleep mode when not actually in use. I turn mine off until needed. This way the tablet can be used on most passages without needing a single recharge... My tablet when in need of a recharge draws about 1.25 amps for a very short period of time.

Can't quite understand why you say installing linux on a tablet and using opencpn is tantamount to one beating their head against a wall. It isn't difficult, doesn't take nearly as much time and even if a person buys a tablet for this purpose - they'll incur less expense than spending $ on your preferred setup.

A tablet can be taken anywhere. Your setup?

Where is your iron in the fire? I see you are a vendor. What is your business?

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 16:03   #17

I've done some preliminary research related to the use of gps, both internal and external. There is a Google Play app called Bluetooth GPS. Options available in OpenCpn is to connect with a gps include tty and network. This stuff is over my head, but my assumption - right or wrong - is that it may be possible to connect via a wireless and or bluetooth adaptor. Anybody so set on having gps connectivity so they can see where they are at all times want to start a thread - or search existing threads about the subject? I have neither the time or inclination, and am quite satisfied relying on my gps information with periodic checks against OpenCpn charts. Drop a mark, apply current lat & long in the properties module and I'm done.

armido
Old 06-12-2012, 16:58   #18

Boat: Seawind1160

Well, I'd like to put in a thank you to armido.

Apparently he doesn't need or want all the nav bells and whistles but he has nevertheless contributed to the benefit of the push button navigators lot ( of which I'd classify myself as one even though I have navigated celestially).

I know which boat I'd prefer to be on when the nav instruments go down when its not "a fine day at sea". Not the place here to bag reliance on electronics, but the less integrated the system better chance of overcoming inevitable failures.

I almost missed this tablet/phone modification as I had never even heard of a motorola zoom. armido, perhaps if I could make a suggestion, to change the title to a more general android development one -with the provisor note it has only [so far] been done on the zoom.
I dont know if this helps anyone but Openstreetmaps (sea also?) has been ported to android (Osmand) and is similar in nature to OCPN.
philocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 17:28   #19

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

armido..

I think you misunderstood me. Great if you can manage to port OpenCPN and all it´s functions onto a tablet,regardless of OS.

This will of course be the cheapest and lightest way to travel if you do not require the use of other programs you no doubt have paid dearly for which are stored on your desktop/laptop. You also have more trust in a tablet than I have.

That being said,good luck with your development.

Alas,one of the moderators have bequated me with the misnomer of vendor because I am a semi-retired marine consultant living in Brazil,otherwise I have no interest selling anything to anyone in Cruisers Forum,just so that is clear.

Looking forward to hearing further from your development.

Tore
Old 06-12-2012, 18:05   #20

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Tore: I'm missing something I think. I have installed Teamviewer on my Android and can use it to control my laptop VIA THE INTERNET. But it sounds like you can control your laptop VIA LOCAL WIFI. What am I missing?
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 18:11   #21

Otya,

Thanks for your post and suggestion. Any tablet with an armel cpu and android system, thanks to android incorporating a linux kernel, should support a linux chroot installation. This type of installation does not, cannot at the present time replace android - and uses image file systems/loop devices. No claim can be made that anyone following my instructions will have full use of a devices features when the linux system is mounted and programs such as OpenCpn are in use. But, like any other human endeavor or software/hardware design and development effort - obstacles are normally eventually overcome. There must be a starting point. People who want gps to work, will eventually get it to work. It only takes the desire to accomplish a goal, determination and cooperative effort to succeed.

To my knowledge, I am the first person to successfully install OpenCpn on an android tablet. I wanted to do it. I relied on others who at one time were alone in their efforts to "open" phones and eventually tablets - essentially get them out of jail - so owners could enjoy the full potential and power of these devices. Like them I am a pioneer of sorts, but it will take others with a better understanding of android and how linux can eventually possibly replace android in its entirety on these devices in the future. There are many reasons why linux is superior to android - personal privacy and security are among the most important.

Simbad7 alludes to programs on my laptop I have no doubt paid dearly for. Were I a M.S. Windows fan he would be right. I have been a linux user since the early 90's and have never had to spend a dime for programs every bit as good as anything Microsoft has ever produced.

armido
Old 06-12-2012, 22:38   #22

Boat: Mac 26X
Armido, thank you for your understanding and explanation. Since I have no understanding of Linux, I guess I'm limited in my ability to see the advantages. I still rely on Microsoft even though I hate the way they've done stuff.
I certainly didn't mean to question your Nav skills since I don't know you from Adam! I guess I just didn't know people used electronic charts onboard without GPS, I prefer looking at a big paper charts anyway, so without my position displayed I would never even use an electronic chart. Heck I haven't even brought my laptop onto my boat this year.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:58   #23

bobofthenorth..

Yes,you can use TeamViewer locally without internet using their LAN option.
You set up what is popularly calle a ´Hot Spot´. See their latest version under Extras/Options.

Tore
Old 07-12-2012, 03:50   #24

sinbad7,

Correct me if I'm wrong. I have not used Teamviewer, but from what you are saying I assume Teamviewer is a vnc viewer requiring a client and host connection between devices. If so, Teamviwer is only useful if you are using two devices - whether tablet to tablet or tablet to computer. This is not to suggest Teamviewer cannot be used to in the same manner as the viewers recommended in my instructions at opencpn.org. There is certainly nothing wrong with using two devices in the manner you have described.

For shoreside work where someone may need access to all of their programs - rarely the case on a passage - this makes infinite good sense.

On the other hand having OpenCpn - and other readily available free linux navigation programs on a tablet during a passage makes infinite good sense. You do not need to use two devices concurrently which reduces power consumption. Instead of a laptop that takes up more space, why not carry two tablets aboard? There are a couple of M.S. Windows types around that can hold your windows programs - that is provided you are able/allowed to somehow use the pc programs you have already heavily invested in...

Most recent android tablets are available with 32 gb on board storage. They also sport micro SD slots that permit adding in some cases up to 64 gb.

armido
Old 07-12-2012, 03:51   #25

bobofthenorth..

You can also take command of your Windows laptop WITHOUT internet connection using PocketCloud Pro. It also works of course WITH internet connected.

No special setup,just use the normal wi-fi setup you have installed on board.

See attached screenshot of an OpenCPN session this morning WITHOUT internet connection.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-12-07-09-37-35.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	362.9 KB
ID:	50844  
Old 07-12-2012, 04:24   #26

armido..

Of course TeamViewer needs a wi-fi connection between the tablet and the laptop,how else would it connect? However,without internet,you have to set it up as a LAN or ´hotspot´ to work. Alternatively you can use PocketCloud Pro as described in my previous posting using your normal wi-fi setup.

You can not use any of these methods between two tablets as a Windows desktop version must be installed on your laptop.

It is my understanding you only want to use OpenCPN on your tablet,plus any other existing Linux software. That may be satisfactory for YOU,but many of the rest of us need more,and already have a laptop full of dearly purchased programs we are not willing to throw on the scrap heap. We also need more storage space than is available on a tablet.

If you have a 12v system installed on board,as most of us do,the drain of a laptop and wi-fi used periodically,will hardly drain your batteries.

Nothing wrong with YOUR Linux option,some like the daughter,others the mother!

Tore
Old 07-12-2012, 05:54   #27

@bobofthenorth....in the pc program select extras/options and then select accept or accept exclusively to restrict it to the LAN.

It didn't work with my Nexus 7 until I downloaded the latest upgrade of TV. Works great and you can control the pc cursor.

Bruce
bhcva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:57   #28

sinbad7,

What has this thread got to do with throwing away your's or anybody else's Windows operating system and programs into the scrap heap? Also, I notice there is a thread devoted to TeamViewer. What compels you to make interjections about TeamViewer in this thread? You've stated your case. You are pro-Windows, have little or no confidence in tablets and other posts you've made elsewhere suggest you have sparse experience using one. If you are averse to using linux that's your choice. If you prefer using a laptop, that's your choice. If you believe TeamViewer is the ultimate solution to everything that's your perogative.

This thread concerns using linux and OpenCpn on android tablets. If you have something to contribute to the subject matter please do. But, really, isn't the best place for you to promote TeamView in the Teamview thread?

Fair winds.
armido
Old 07-12-2012, 07:47   #29

Sorry armido.. did´nt mean to spoil your party..... I think enough has been said and I will bow out gracefully. Good luck with your venture...

Tore
Old 07-12-2012, 17:38   #30

Wondering about how routes and marks residing on your laptop might be transferred to OpenCpn on your tablet? Conventional wisdom and most answers I found in an internet search indicate they have to be exported to gpx format then imported. After installling Fedora 17 and OpenCpn on a new 500 gb drive, I wondered if simply copying my existing .xml files from ./opencpn in my home directory on the old drive into ./opencpn on the new drive would work.

It did, so my preliminary assumption is this should also work if the files are copied to a tablet. I'll give it a go tomorrow and share the result.

armido

Tags
opencpn