Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 31-03-2013, 04:41   #211

Boat: Helia 44
Re: OpenCpn install on android tablets easier now.

Hi Eric,

It looks like you are having a problem with the turbo Gps software. NMEA sentences are happily streaming over the screen of my androids. The author of TurboGPS is quite responsive, so I would suggest to send him some screenshots and ask what other debugging info he needs. There are other android apps that can send UTP to the network (but not for free like TurboGps):
  • GPSBridge - NMEA via TCP/UDP
  • myGPS4u (has a 14 day trial version)

Another way to use this, is to configure your laptop as wireless hotspot. You can then configure openCPN on your laptop to stream NMEA data to your tablet via the wireless. When you do his you would be able to see wind, AIS and everything else you can see on the laptop.

Old 31-03-2013, 23:45   #212
ejs

Boat: Able Apogee 50

Hello Salty Paws,

I have had a conversation with the author of TurboGPS and he diagnosed the problem but he is not going to fix it. The key is my lack of NMEA strings in the strings window. It indicates that my GPS chip/ROM combo does not send NMEA strings out. It does send position info directly through the OS that is used by TurboGPS and most other programs, but not in the NMEA format. All TurboGPS does is pass those strings, if they are generated, to the TCP server, so if they are not present they do not get passed through. Some tablet GPS chips generate them and some don't. The Xoom apparently doesn't.

I did find another program (ShareGPS) that will create the NMEA strings from the data if the NMEA strings are not natively present to get around this issue. That program only sends them via bluetooth or USB and not via TCP so I don't think they are available to OpenCPN on the same device.

Most of the other GPS programs that send NMEA for various reasons have complaints in their comments about particular tablets not working correctly even though the GPS works. I'm guessing this dual data path is the reason, the data through the OS is used by mapping programs, but not all tablets are forming the NMEA strings.

Thanks for the suggestions about how to get this working with a PC, I already have a PC working nicely with OpenCPN, I'm trying to get a separate independent backup system. I'm planning to keep it in a lightning resistant metal box, just in case. It will still work for that as is using other methods in the thread, transferring coordinates to an OpenCPN chart, but I was hoping for a more integrated system. (and I like to tinker :-)

Cheers, Eric

Old 01-04-2013, 14:37   #213

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

Kudos to you Salty Paws for your dogged determination to make gps work with OpenCPN on android tablets running in a Linux chroot environment along side android.

Which type of gps has been tried. Built-in, usb and or other?

From Eric's description of his problem with the Xoom, it appears we still need a server that can give OpenCPN fake nmea data derived from provided lat/long positions. Hopefully Marius may be able to work with the author of Turbo GPS, or on his own to resolve this issue.

Still, it's good to see headway in getting gps to work.

I strongly encourage everyone who successfully uses Turbo GPS to report this and their device manufacturer and models. This will help those sitting on the sidelines waiting for gps interoperability with OpenCPN and who have not purchased a tablet yet to take the leap.

armido
Old 01-04-2013, 15:34   #214

Hi Armido - With Turbo GPS both my Acro S and Nexus 10 were able to use the device internal GPS I think Eric's problem is that Turbo GPS does not produce the NMEA sentences for his device. It may be a compatibility issue - good thing that the Turbo GPS Author is quite responsive. Apparently some android devices produce NMEA sentences natively with their GPS, while others dont. It may be that Turbo GPS only works with devices that natively produce NMEA sentences, just speculation for now. Would be interested to see if you can make the internal GPS work on your XOOM with Turbo GPS.

Marius - TurboGPS seems to have resolved the issue to keep a programme resident in the android background. Would be great if you could help us making TurboGPS or your own solution work for more androids.
Old 01-04-2013, 15:50   #215

Boat: Arber 14m Sou'easter

Havent read all the posts here...but am in the process of setting it up on my laptop ..does it work on an Ipad..?
Old 01-04-2013, 16:09   #216

Hi Paul - as stated in the title - android only. Would be great to be able to do this on ipad though.
Old 02-04-2013, 13:08   #217
oem

Boat: VindÝ 995 ds

So far, - i managed to S-off and to root my very old HTC Desire. It took me some hours and a few youtube-videos before I understood what exactly I had to do.

When I'm mentally ready again (in a couple of days) :-), I'll take the next steps and install and compile OCPN.

Unfortunately only 2 gb available for filesystem, hopefully enough. The post above said 8 GB was recommended, so maybe I'll have to find a way to expand it. Maybe just to create the space and then rebuild the linux with Linux Deploy?
Old 02-04-2013, 13:20   #218

Boat: Arber 14m Sou'easter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyPaws View Post
Hi Paul - as stated in the title - android only. Would be great to be able to do this on ipad though.
Thanks SaltyPaws...yes would be great to have it on that....guess if one has it on a laptop it is still quite handy...
Old 03-04-2013, 06:10   #219

oem,

The reason 8 gigabytes is recommended is because space is required for source files required for compiling OpenCPN and zyGrib. Once compiled and installed the sources can be removed. But, leaving OpenCPN source enables you to update the source witha simple command issued in the top directory of the source - 'git pull'. You can move the source to an external micro SD for use later - but, it must be reused in the original location.

Also, while you may be able to access charts from an external micro SD card, they will probably load faster if residing inn your /home/android file system. In any case, Linux Deploy indicates the smallest loop file size required to install Linux. Remember though, this is just the basic operating system. Development files, dependencies for OpenCPN and zyGrib and additional other programs you may want to install will need more space...

armido
Old 03-04-2013, 06:20   #220

Tor,

Hope you overcome fear of flying. Odds you will ever need to use your warranty are very small. Most android devices are very reliable. Dropped mine several times with no effect. But then I have a Motorola Xoom - it's weight an object of derision in reviews. Heavier than most android tablets perhaps, but attributable to strength and rigidity in construction.

C'mon, take the leap!

armido
Old 03-04-2013, 06:24   #221

Salty Dog,

My results using Turbo GPS identical to Eric's. Nada on the nmea sentences.

armido
Old 03-04-2013, 09:40   #222

Armido - I would suggest to check in with Michael Chourdakis, the author of turbo GPS. He is quite responsive on email, and the android descriptions says:
Quote:
IF IT DOES NOT RUN IN YOUR PHONE: Mail me. We 'll fix
My install (OpenCPN+source+CM93+Debian) is all done on 4 GB filesystem
Old 03-04-2013, 12:15   #223

Salty Dog,

On your recommendation I emailed Michael. Frankly, I can't imagine a gps chip made today not producing nmea data. More likely a driver or android system bug. I'm going to try to contact Motorola about this and also touch base with XDA-Developers.

armido
Old 03-04-2013, 13:31   #224

All,

From Motorola. The Xoom built in gps only provides position - no nmea data.

There are, no doubt other manufacturers who have built in gps that also give position only and no nmea data.

So, there is an obvious need for a server delivering fake nmea data to OpenCPN and other programs.

armido
Old 03-04-2013, 14:45   #225

Lets try to encourage Michael to translate general GPS info into NMEA sentences. His program is nearly there.

Tags
opencpn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: