Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13-03-2013, 12:04   #196

Boat: Helia 44
Re: OpenCpn install on android tablets easier now.

I can see why the low power android would be primary, with the laptop as backup. Especially as my phone (Xperia Acro) is waterproof to 1 meter. Sony has just launched a tablet, that is also waterproof. I hope other brands will follow with ruggedised waterproof tablets.

Any thoughts on how to get AIS/instrument data to the android? I have seen AIS to bluetooth and NMEA to wifi units? I know this defeats the low power a little bit, but how cool would it be to be able be in the bunk, checking the gps position on the map, and knowing the windspeed? An android tablet is almost the same price as the remote unit of many nav systems.
SaltyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 12:19   #197

This is a screenshot of my favourite island in Greece using the OpenCPN set-up on my nexus 10 in native resolution. Notice the large screen size, and small buttons. Overall the system is quite response & fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000011.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	56923  
Old 13-03-2013, 12:30   #198

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

Salty Paws,

See sevanopulus contributions to the gps issue - posts 160 thru 167 this thread. He has a bluetooth gps working with his android tablet, and provides instructions how to do it. The nature of this thread doesn't provide much information about others who have used a bluetooth gps after following sevanopula's instructions. I believe they don't report their success, they just move on. And, it appears the type of gps most sailors own is usb. So, they're waiting for Marius to release a server capable of sending raw nmea data from usb and built-in gps to OpenCPN.

Odds are, if a bluetooth gps communicates with OpenCPN, it stands to reason an AIS bluetooth device may work too.

There have been enough people visit this thread one would think there is enough interest for a collaborative effort.

How about it? Anyone out there interested in collaborating with others to see if bluetooth AIS works?

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 12:50   #199

Salty Paws,

Thanks for posting the screenshot. The image suggests you may not have discovered yet how to use the settings for vector charts in OpenCPN. Forgive me if I'm wrong. A short primer follows.

Click on the settings icon, then 'charts' and finally 'vector charts'. Select 'mariners standard' 'paper chart' 'plain' and the number of colors you prefer. Select everything in the column to the left of the color option except 'Important text only' and 'Extended light sectors' (unless you want them). At the bottom of the leftmost column click on 'Select All'. Be advised there are some options at the very bottom of this list that are not automatically selected so you must scroll down and select them manually. I select them ALL.

Notice the CM93 Detail Level slider at the bottom right of the window. Try the different settings and you'll see why I assumed, maybe incorrectly, your configuration for the vector charts was incomplete.

armido

Click on Apply and Save.
Old 13-03-2013, 14:21   #200

Hi Armido,

Attached is a screenhot with the updated settings. I haven't taken the tablet out to the boat yet, but the added detail certaily helps.

Marius (mrm) - is there anyway I can help the coding effort for android GPS code?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shot_000014.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	381.7 KB
ID:	56930  
Old 17-03-2013, 05:36   #201

To all,

Anyone with the skills necessary to construct an android nmea server out there? Until we have a server, an onboard and or attached usb gps with OpenCPN running in a chroot Linux environment cannot be used. While a bluetooth gps has been used successfully, it's a wee bit complicated for most users to consider wading thru the configuration. However experienced Linux enthusiasts would consider it a ho-hum process.

Meanwhile, the solution for determining your position in OpenCPN can be accomplished by downloading 'Gps Test' from Google Play and use coordinates from there. This can also be done using coordinates from a gps with a display. In OpenCPN simply drop a mark in the general vicinity you are in. Then right click on the mark to modify the lat&long. The mark will move to your current position.

It seems reasonable to expect out of more than 11,000 people who have viewed this thread - not one but several of them would have the skills to construct a nmea server delivering either raw or processed data then converted to 'fake nmea' to OpenCPN.

armido
Old 21-03-2013, 11:05   #202

And this is how to make the GPS work in OpenCPN on your android

1. Download Turbo GPS 2 from market place (see Welcome to Turbo GPS for Pocket PC, Windows Mobile and Android, iOS)
  2. Enable NMEA server in turbo GPS
  3. Start TurboGPS (should be ok when you can see GPS info on the screen)
  4. Start OpenCPN in android
  5. Click settings, go to connections tab
  6. Click Add Connection, tick Network, Tick TCP (if not already selected)
  7. Address:127.0.0.1
  8. Port 7777 (or different one if you configured TurboGPS different)
  9. presto, you should be good to go. I have attached a screenshot of OpenCPN working with GPS on my Sony Acro S
If the connection drops, check that NMEA server on is ticked in TurboGPS and just start TurboGPS (seems to happen if you change android app). Keep reporting these bugs if they happen to you on the turboGPS page (mentioned above)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shot_000018.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	57520  
Old 21-03-2013, 16:02   #203

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

Hi all.

And my hat off to all of you who persistently pursued the idea of finding a way to put OpenCPN on a tablet.

Am I to understand that you have to make a choice here,Android and all the programs presently available to it,OR, Linux if you want OpenCPN on your tablet but little else at the moment? Or,can the two live separate lives together?

I presently use TeamViewer to connect with the laptop safely down below,
having full control of ALL Windows based programs on my laptop,including OpenCPN from the screen of my Tablet in the cockpit. However,I would much rather have an Android version of OpenCPN on my tab.

Tore
Old 22-03-2013, 12:32   #204

Hi Tore,

With the solution we presented in this thread you can use your android and linux with openCPN side by side on the same device, even switching between OpenCPN and android apps.

You can now shut down the more energy hungry laptop and navigate from your droid

Saltypaws
Old 22-03-2013, 12:34   #205

This is just great. I really can't wait until the monopoly on expensive chart plotters is totally destroyed by these new generation devices. I hate dinosaurs.

Thanks for all the excellent information and work here in this thread. Looking forward to trying this on my phone.
Old 22-03-2013, 12:45   #206

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

SaltyPaws..

Now you´re talking!! I certainly will be trying it out,but I do´nt like the idea of rooting my tablet,which will breach my guarantee?

I have´nt a clue about linux or the finer points of installation with access
to GPS. Perhaps someone will prerpare a total installation ´package for dummies´?

Tore
Old 24-03-2013, 16:56   #207
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

Hey SaltyPaws,

Great news on the internal GPS working for you. I'm trying to follow your footsteps. I have rooted my Xoom installed Linux etc. and have OpenCPN working but the Turbo GPS 2 NMEA server doesn't seem to talk to OpenCPN. My window doesn't follow my position and there is nothing in the NMEA debug window in OpenCPN. I have followed your instructions above. I'm using Debian Wheezy, and OpenCPN 3.2. Any hints or special configs in Debian I should look for or any additional ways to debug, other than the OpenCPN debug window?

Cheers, Eric
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 03:22   #208

Hi Eric,

Following the procedure above, I also got the GPS to work in openCPN on my nexus 10, so method has been demonstrated on two android devices each with different linux OS (one using Ubuntu, the other using Debian). This makes me confident that this method would work for more android devices. I think we need to find the point where you and I have done things differently, and then update the procedure.
Things to check are:
  • Is the server on tickbox checked when you swipe down the NMEA server in android? (sometimes it goes off if you switch android windows, I have reported this bug.)
  • Is TurboGPS giving you a GPS position in android?(literally follow this sequence:1) check NMEA server on box from pull down, 2) start turbogps from icon 3)wait till you see position 4)switch to vnc terminal with opencpn
  • Things to test in opencpn: "localhost" did not work for me, I had to type in 127.0.0.1. You can also type "ifconfig" in the terminal in ubuntu/debian and type in this assigned IP address in opencpn
  • make sure you put network address and port in the different boxes (you can't enter 127.0.0.1:7777 in the network) trust me, I have checked
  • if this still does not work, start a hotspot on your device, and test if you can see the nmea server on your laptop in opencpn. If this does not work, check turboGPS documentation.
Saltypaws
Old 30-03-2013, 13:59   #209
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

[QUOTE=SaltyPaws;1196521] Hi Eric,

Is TurboGPS giving you a GPS position in android?(literally follow this sequence:1) check NMEA server on box from pull down, 2) start turbogps from icon 3)wait till you see position 4)switch to vnc terminal with opencpn

Yes, that was the procedure I was using exactly. I do get position in TurboGPS.

Things to test in opencpn: "localhost" did not work for me, I had to type in 127.0.0.1. You can also type "ifconfig" in the terminal in ubuntu/debian and type in this assigned IP address in opencpn

I tired both, usually I used 127.0.0.1, I also tried the ifconfig address.

make sure you put network address and port in the different boxes (you can't enter 127.0.0.1:7777 in the network) trust me, I have checked

I always put the port in the separate box :-)

if this still does not work, start a hotspot on your device, and test if you can see the nmea server on your laptop in opencpn. If this does not work, check turboGPS documentation

That was a good idea, I tried that and they connect. I know because the tablet beeps when I try to connect from the PC. I still don't get NMEA sentences. I've emailed the author of TurboGPS with the problem description. We'll see.

In the meantime, do you get anything in the "NMEA strings" page in TurboGPS when things are working correctly? I just get a blank page.

Thanks for the help, Eric
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 16:54   #210

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post

I presently use TeamViewer to connect with the laptop safely down below,
having full control of ALL Windows based programs on my laptop,including OpenCPN from the screen of my Tablet in the cockpit. However,I would much rather have an Android version of OpenCPN on my tab.

Tore
Tore,

I agree with having it on the Android as a standalone.

I have just begun using Splashtop 2 instead of Teamviewer on my Galaxy Note 2. Works like a charm using my Wirie AP even when not connected to the internet.

Terry

PS I wrote this from my droid!
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn