Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 10:58   #181

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"
Re: OpenCpn install on android tablets easier now.

To all:

More directly for information pertaining to dependency requirements and compiling OpenCPN from source see: Compiling - Linux | Official OpenCPN Homepage

armido

Old 04-03-2013, 06:45   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyPaws View Post
Hi Armido,

I am glad to be of help, I would really like to see this work on my 2 androids. Having a backup navigation system in your phone/tablet is just grand!

Only the NMEAtest works on both devices for now. How much work would it be to turn your code into an APK that interfaces with OCPN?

Currently working on installing OCPN on my Sony Xperia Acro S. I haven't managed to install either ubuntu or debian. Both installations give unmet dependencies. I am currently trying Fedora, and will let you know how it goes. The next step if it does not work is contacting the Linux Deploy developer.

Regarding the updates:
Under first section, where you mention you installed debian, as the other options did not work, this seems to be a more general problem. ie Debian works on your Xoom device, but not on my nexus 10 or acro S. Ubuntu works on my nexus 10, but not on your Xoom or my Acro S. Perhaps we should both contact mefik on github, to report these issues. Linux deploy needs to work reliable before a wider audience can try this.

Section with the OR is still confusing, as you need to enter SU first, before mounting from linux deploy, OR typing /data/local/linux/bin/linuxdeploy shell. I think the passwd step you need to do anyway.

Will keep you posted on the Acro S. Keep up the good work! Let me know if there are other tests that I can help with.
Salty Paws,

Although your Xperia S has a chipset based on the armv7 instruction set, it may not be supported by current Linux distributions for the arm architecture. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_(system_on_chip) Suggest you check with Linux Deploy developer on this.

armido

Old 04-03-2013, 10:08   #183

Boat: Helia 44

Finally Managed to install OCPN on my Acro S using debian stable. I did not need to update CmakeCache.txt.

Installation instructions are looking good.

The hardest part was the Linux Deploy section, especially as the exact same steps worked for nexus 10, but not for Acro S. I think Linux Deploy has some issues with some repositories, which I have reported with the author.

No problem with OCPN repositories, once linux has been installed it was a smooth ride. the main Linux installation page also gives dependencies required for Fedora, so I would assume these would work as well for the chroot install

@Marius / mrn looking forward to the NMEA server to work. Let me know if I can help with beta testing.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:31   #184

Salty Paws,

The fact Linux Deploy lists both stable and squeeze as install options is a bit confusing in light of the following statement taken from the Debian wiki.

"The release of Debian called "stable" is always the official released version of Debian. Ordinary users should use this version. See also DebianStability.

DebianSqueeze (Debian 6.0.7) is the current stable release of Debian, and has been since 2013-02-23."

I haven't checked the Debian Squeeze version installed using Linux Deploy, but if newer than 6.0.7 this will explain why.

Anyway, you can edit /etc/apt/sources.list to use the Debian Stable (6.0.7?) repositories if you suspect Linux Deploy's Russian repositories may be a problem.

For debian Squeeze you'd comment out the Liinux Deploy repositories by inserting a # at the beginning of each line. Then add:
deb Index of /debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb-src Index of /debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free

Then save the file.

Search the net for the 'stable' repositories then edit the sources.list file. Be aware though that Linux Deploy will over write your change next time it updates the system. I suggest you use Jota+ from Google Play for keeping notes related to using Linux Deploy - then you can copy/paste next time you need to change the sources.list file or repeat often used commands like '/data/local/linux/bin/linuxdeploy shell'

Kudos on getting everything installed on your Xperia S. One more down.

Any questions about how to use OpenCPN with the akRDC viewer please ask. A couple of tricks make use a lot easier and error free - like accidentally deleting a route...

armido

armido
Old 06-03-2013, 11:00   #185

[QUOTE= interested in benefitting from other advantages linux has to offer... [/QUOTE]

You are correct. That would kinda seem like the whole point - so, what are they???

Bob
Old 06-03-2013, 12:48   #186

Wander-n-Bob

See:

Linux Advantages

and,

Security-Enhanced Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Two obvious advantages in addition to the link information above, is we can easily install linux on our android devices because android uses a linux kernel. Once Linux is installed we can install and use OpenCPN and zyGrib.

Once the Ubuntu port of their Linux operating system to Nexus Tablets is complete we should be able to use such programs as Kdenlive - a free Linux video editing program. Presently, android and android memory hogging programs that load themselves - don't leave sufficient memory for Kdenlive to run in a chroot Linux environment.

Finally, a few things you may not be aware of related to devices running the android operating system and programs.

That’s No Phone. That’s My Tracker - ProPublica

armido
Old 06-03-2013, 13:25   #187

I managed to get some maps downloaded to the nexus 10 using ftp. The nexus 10 has a resolution of 2560x1600. Great for looking at some maps, but the buttons are getting quite small. Is there any way of enlarging the buttons?
Old 06-03-2013, 13:34   #188

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Have you tried CM93 or raster charts? For those outside US chart areas CM93 is probably more interesting.
If this works really realibly its the killer app I have been waiting for and need to rush to get a Nexus10.
Old 06-03-2013, 14:51   #189

Salty Paws,

Which buttons?

armido
Old 06-03-2013, 15:12   #190

rabbi,

See: Ubuntu tablet OS: screenshots and details | News | PC Pro The development version is available for download at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation. Not sure this is for the Nexus 10, so check first if you are interested in playing with a development ROM. I'll wait.

If your question concerning CM93 charts pertains to running OpenCPN on an android tablet in a Linux chroot environment - yes. If you are talking about Ubuntu on the Nexus, I don't expect there will be any problems at all running Linux programs - including OpenCPN - on the platform. But, in the meanwhile, you may give OpenCPN a try on your android if you have one already. Just follow my instructions here: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage

armido*
Old 06-03-2013, 15:25   #191

Salty Paws,

I'm only guessing you are referring to the zoom buttons, settings button (the wrench), charts button & etc. in OpenCPN. If so use the akRDC + and - buttons to zoom in on any OpenCPN feature, including the tool bar buttons. I recommend you always do this when using the menu accessed with the right mouse button. Otherwise you'll find yourself tapping the button next to the button you really wanted to select - with potentially disasterous results. This is one of the tips I have to offer. Also, if you need to move a waypoint or mark, use the akRDC zoom to it's maximum and long press, drag the mark/waypoint to it's desired location.

CM93 charts were available for download in the past. Check Cruiser's forum threads pertaining to CM93 chart downloads.

armido
Old 12-03-2013, 14:52   #192

I have been playing some more with OpenCpn on my tablet and phone, and I think this will be a great back-up for PC navigation. Having the CM93 maps on both tablet and phone, sets having paper back-up maps quite a few rungs lower on the nice to have list.

Only 2 suggestions for improvement:
1) Native onboard GPS support
2) larger buttons in the OpenCPN button bar (zoom in, zoom out being the most frequent used, but same comments for other buttons on the control bar)
Old 12-03-2013, 15:31   #193

Salty Paws,

Great to receive your report.

I think you may find the p.c. taking a "back up" role to your tablet once you are more familiar with using OpenCPN on your Nexus 10. Depending on how many amps your laptop consumes in comparison to the Nexus, your battery power consumption can be greatly reduced if you regularly use the tablet and shut the laptop down.

Regarding gps usage, we're waiting for Marius (mrm) to work wonders with his nmea server. As he's recently said in this thread, "keep tuned".

armido
Old 12-03-2013, 15:45   #194

Just want to add that in lieu of an attached gps, those of you with gps devices having displays - a mark can be dropped on a chart in OpenCPN. Then edit the mark properties to reflect your current gps coordinates. Wala! The mark will show your vessel position in relation to surrounding charted features. Not having a connected gps is no reason to deprive yourself of OpenCPN on your tablet now. Those of you with a puck type gps may want to consider the benefits of owning a gps with a display. They provide enough information to get you where you wish to go if your chart display bites the dust. A puck type gps? Naw, don't think so.

armido
Old 12-03-2013, 19:45   #195

It came to me like a bolt of lightning. I'm guilty of missing the forest for the trees. I confess.

Those of you with a puck type gps need not despair if your android tablet has a built in gps. Because your chroot Linux setup running OpenCPN operates side by side with android, you are able to activate the built in gps and view it's output at any time. There may be other apks available, but the one I am familiar with is called 'Gps Test' and can be downloaded from Google Play. Use it to provide coordinates for modifying a dropped mark in OpenCPN when checking your position! All you need to do is switch between 'Gps Test' and OpenCPN.

armido

Tags
opencpn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: