Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 19-02-2013, 06:37   #166

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"
Re: OpenCpn install on android tablets easier now.

sevanopula,

Thanks for your comprehensive post regarding bluetooth and usb gps usage with OpenCPN in an android chroot environment!

For those of you who are dyed in the wool M.S. Windows users - welcome to the wonderful flexibility of the Linux world. Now's your chance to compile a linux kernel to suit your needs, create and or modify some files and finally get that usb gps working with OpenCPN..

This is normal fare for the folks over at xda developers Android, Windows Phone, and Windows Mobile Development News, Information, and Howtos - XDA Developers , who are constantly at work to improve android ROMS. Maybe sevanopula knows someone with the required number of posts at xda to submit a request for developers to include these usb drivers in their custom ROMS. I'll see if I can increase my posts to the required level so I can ask Jellybean Everest developers to address this need. Developers of ROMS for your particular tablet will need to hear from you. One size fits all does not apply in the android world.

If you follow sevanopula's instructions for compiling a usb driver into your kernel, please make the kernel available to others who share your ROM.

Those of you who choose the simpler route to use a bluetooth gps with OpenCPN on your tablet - please report your results.

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 07:33   #167

Boat: Duet 16

armido,

I glad to share information.
I don't know nobody from xdadevelopers.
Concerning USB GPS driver instaling i forgot to say about instaling *.ko driver. It's look like this for example: #insmod pl2303.ko.
sevanopula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 19:26   #168

marius,

Have you had the opportunity to work on your server yet. The problem of using a usb or onboard gps with OpenCPN in a manner easy for people to apply has yet to be achieved - even though sevanopulus has succeeded in using a bluetooth gps and suggestions how to get a usb gps working have been posed. Most people have neither the inclination or skills necessary to compile kernels, create and modify files.

Hoping to hear good news from you soon.

Thsnks,
armido
Old 26-02-2013, 04:38   #169
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Working on it in my spare time, of which I have not much at the moment. Stay tuned...
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 15:59   #170

marius,

Thanks for checking in.

armido
Old 28-02-2013, 12:28   #171

This is to inform all that the installation instructions at Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage were updated today to reflect the fact the most recent version of OpenCPN, 3.2.0 has been successfully installed from source on my Xoom running Debian Squeeze.

armido
Old 03-03-2013, 02:18   #172

Boat: Helia 44
Thumbs up Re: OpenCpn install on android tablets easier now.

Success on Google nexus 10!

I managed to install OCPN 3.2.0 on my Nexus 10. (android 4.2.2)

Some steps I had to deviate or where confusing:

-Debian did not work for me, instead I installed ubuntu precise, with armhf, Xfce desktop, auto disk space.

-There is a big OR in the text, this was a little confusing, as I had to both press start from linux deploy, and type the commands in the command line

-For Ubuntu I installed following dependancies (small difference from debian):
apt-get install libglu1-mesa libgl1-mesa-glx zlib1g bzip2 gpsd gpsd-clients xcalib libgtk2.0-dev gettext git-core cmake libgps-dev build-essential wx-common libglu1-mesa-dev libgtk2.0-dev libbz2-dev libtinyxml-dev libwxgtk2.8-0 libwxgtk2.8-dev libwxbase2.8-0 libwxbase2.8-dev libsdl1.2debian debhelper devscripts dh-make dpkg-dev fakeroot lintian diff patch libtinyxml* libportaudio2 portaudio19-dev

-Opencpn dir is capitalised in git. This means that in a couple of instructions opencpn needs to be replaced with OpenCPN

Other than that it works fine!

any suggestions on how to transfer charts to a partition that ubuntu can see?
SaltyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:25   #173

Talking Re: OpenCpn install on android tablets easier now.

NMEA test on Google nexus 10 (4.2.2) works fine. NMEA starts even if the GPS does not have a fix yet. I have attached a screenshot. I could see my coordinates in the NMEA stream once the GPS had a fix. Looking forward to seeing the GPS work in OCPN under android.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000007.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	363.1 KB
ID:	56026  
Old 03-03-2013, 02:43   #174

NMEAtest works on Sony Acro S (as with nexus, NMEA starts streaming even before GPS fix). Android version 4.0.4. I have attached a screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000006.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	358.4 KB
ID:	56027  
Old 03-03-2013, 03:47   #175

Salty Paws,

Thanks for contributing to this effort! I have edited the instructions in response to your comments and added the dependencies list for Ubuntu. Will you please review my changes to ensure I understood and my changes are appropriate?

Happy to see the Nexus 10 and Sony Acro S are compatible platforms.

Hopefully, I'll be able to change the title of my instructions from Xoom to Android Tablets in the near future.

armido
Old 03-03-2013, 03:56   #176

Salty Paws,

Forgot to mention the reason you had to start Linux Deploy is because the Type 'su' should have proceeded '/data/local/linux/bin/linuxdeploy shell' command. Inadvertantly created this during a previous edit.

Thanks!
armido
Old 03-03-2013, 04:26   #177

Hi Armido,

I am glad to be of help, I would really like to see this work on my 2 androids. Having a backup navigation system in your phone/tablet is just grand!

Only the NMEAtest works on both devices for now. How much work would it be to turn your code into an APK that interfaces with OCPN?

Currently working on installing OCPN on my Sony Xperia Acro S. I haven't managed to install either ubuntu or debian. Both installations give unmet dependencies. I am currently trying Fedora, and will let you know how it goes. The next step if it does not work is contacting the Linux Deploy developer.

Regarding the updates:
Under first section, where you mention you installed debian, as the other options did not work, this seems to be a more general problem. ie Debian works on your Xoom device, but not on my nexus 10 or acro S. Ubuntu works on my nexus 10, but not on your Xoom or my Acro S. Perhaps we should both contact mefik on github, to report these issues. Linux deploy needs to work reliable before a wider audience can try this.

Section with the OR is still confusing, as you need to enter SU first, before mounting from linux deploy, OR typing /data/local/linux/bin/linuxdeploy shell. I think the passwd step you need to do anyway.

Will keep you posted on the Acro S. Keep up the good work! Let me know if there are other tests that I can help with.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:56   #178

Salty Paws,

Dependency issues have nothing to do with your device. You need to note which dependency is missing and make sure the file version number hasn't changed. This happens because Linux, whether Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian or what have you - are always undergoing updates, vulnerability fixes and in general being improved. Just something we have to contend with. If you determine which dependency is missing, you can either search the net looking for the new version name, or use a package manager like apt or yum to help out. Simply give the command - 'apt-install or yum install package_name. You'll receive a message sometimes suggesting the correct version name. The asterisk comes in handy too. Just provide the firstbpart of the package name and an askerisk, like tinyxml*. You may get a long list of files related to what you are asking for - so wading through the output until you find a likely candidate is required.

I tried Fedora and compiled OpenCPN o.k.. But, returned to Debian Squeeze because zyGrib would not work with Fedora. No icons would display.

I have removed the first part of the OR problem pertaining to Linux Deploy.

Don't know what you mean by my code becoming an apk. Marius (mrm) is working on a server to supply nmea data to OpenCPN if this is what you are referring to. You can address questions concerning his development of the server to him.

Thanks,
armido
Old 03-03-2013, 09:40   #179

Salty Paws,

If Ubuntu Precise and OpenCPN installed on your Nexus 10, and you repeat the identical processes on yourAcro S - you should succeed. If not look for typos and or the possibility you copied and pasted the wrong thing.

armido
Old 03-03-2013, 09:50   #180

Everyone should be aware that file names and versions are different between Linux flavours. Fedora's are different from Ubuntu's are different from Suse, etc., etc.. Also while Ubuntu and Debian use apt, aptitude and dpkg for package management, i.e. installation, updating and removal - Fedora uses 'yum'. Your best guide regarding dependency requirements is here: OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage

armido

Tags
opencpn