Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2011, 08:46   #271

Boat: Forgus 31
Send a message via Skype™ to balp
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Barfwinkle..
Have you installed the right version of OpenCPN for MAC ??
I think that version of vxWidgets looks that strange under Snow Leopard. Someone need to put in a major work to make it work MacOS native
balp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 11:50   #272

Boat: Amel Sharki
Quote:
Originally Posted by balp View Post
I think that version of vxWidgets looks that strange under Snow Leopard. Someone need to put in a major work to make it work MacOS native
You are invited to help in the Mac Forum and to join the Forum:
SourceForge.net: Topic: OpenCPN for Mac developers discussion
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 12:08   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
You are invited to help in the Mac Forum and to join the Forum:
SourceForge.net: Topic: OpenCPN for Mac developers discussion
I follow it, a bit short of time, much my time go to make the boat ready for spring now. I did some test working in the other direction, eg starts to make a MacOS application, calling into OpenCPN classes but at the moment time is to lottle to make it work.

I have the first test at, https://github.com/balp/MacCPN but I think the strategy i used in that test is way to much remake, it will end up something not OpenCPN. But well i still think eliminations wxWidgets is the only working mac solution, sadly, it should been there to just make it work, I never before knew that mack port, of wxWidgets, was in such a bad shape.
Old 13-02-2011, 12:44   #274

I have a similiar approach. However I try not to abandon wxWidgets for all. This is indeed too much work. Some code should however been replaced for a more Mac like feeling e.g. the toolbar of current OCPN is not like Mac. Mine looks like this.

Also I use Carbon instead of the better Cocoa. The Cocoa toolbar as you have used is of course the best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OCPN-Mac.png
Views:	224
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	23765  
Old 13-02-2011, 12:55   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
Also I use Carbon instead of the better Cocoa. The Cocoa toolbar as you have used is of course the best.
Carbon nis no 64bit on snow leopard, and i think thats why wxWidgets feel strange, have no possibility to be ported to iPhone, iPad, which so many ask for.
Old 13-02-2011, 13:26   #276

Yes, I know. But there is no wxWidgets for Cocoa and even the Carbon wxWidgets is buggy. That is why I have used Carbon because I do not want (or being unable) to write a completely new app with Cocoa. I am able to read c++ but not obj-c.
Old 15-02-2011, 05:19   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by balp View Post
Carbon nis no 64bit on snow leopard, and i think thats why wxWidgets feel strange, have no possibility to be ported to iPhone, iPad, which so many ask for.
I have found a wxMac version for Cocoa which can be installed with MacPorts. It was not tested yet for OCPN. If you do not have MacPorts you can get the binaries "wx-devel" together with their includes compiled for OS X 10.6.6 from my iDisk (see my message #3 in the SourceForge.net Mac Forum). Using Cocoa we should be able to compile a 64bit version of OCPN and this wxMac version seems to support iOS as well. Good luck...

Gerhard
Old 15-02-2011, 17:00   #278

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Is their a way to shut off the waypoints, so you only see the routes?
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wp.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	23855  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 17:22   #279

Boat: Phantom 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Is their a way to shut off the waypoints, so you only see the routes?
Mark
Mark,
if you use preexisting waypoints in your routes, you can turn them invisible one-by one in the Waypoint tab in route manager by clicking on the icon in first column - not very convenient.
The other way (the only one if your routes contain points that were created with the route) is to close OpenCPN and edit the navobj.xml file replacing
the 1 in
Code:
<opencpn:viz>1</opencpn:viz>
with 0 in all the rtept (and/or wpt) elements you don't want to see anymore - pretty geeky, backup suggested.
Neither of them ideal, but yes, it is doable...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 16:23   #280

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat
Re: OpenCPN General

I'm new to OpenCPN and have to say it's looking like a very worthwhile tool. I've used quite a few of the commercially available charting apps but OpenCPN seems to me to be a good mix of features yet easy to use.

One thing I wondered as I toyed with it today, is there some way to change the line weights of the instrument graphics in the instrumentation plugin? I see that we can change all the fonts, but didn't find any way to modify the graphics themselves. Is there perhaps an .ini file or such that I can edit to make these instruments more legible, or perhaps change the color scheme? Thanks!
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 18:44   #281

OpenCPN nmea data in nmeadebug?

Is Ocpn's nmea output included in the nmeadebug xxxx list. I'm only seeing the gps data.

Thanks, Bruce
bhcva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 00:06   #282

hi i have been trying to upgrade to version 2.3.1. once the download is complete i try and open the program i get a message saying "application config is incorrect,try re installing ". i have tried re installing so many times.have done full uninstall on prev version,re booted,installed in new directories,have deleted all related files. does anyone have any ideas.the previous version ran great.i have an intel dual core compaq with 3gb ram and running windows xp.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
doocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 00:31   #283

Boat: Phantom 19

Hi,
looks like you are forcing same problem as quite a few others, try installing the MSVC runtime components manually.
Download from: Download details: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

By the way, anybody has any idea how to make people actually read Installing OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage while installing OpenCPN? This is probably a zillionth time this problem appears on the forum...
Of course better if we finally find out why the runtime fails to install on some machines. I have personally never seen a machine where the installation fails, but am very curious for the reason.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:22   #284

Boat: vd Stadt 44, Ben the Boat

Quote:
By the way, anybody has any idea how to make people actually read Installing OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage while installing OpenCPN?
Probably not replying anymore to these questions?!
There are enough hints, tips and tricks in this forum

Bart
champ8242 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:33   #285

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Of course better if we finally find out why the runtime fails to install on some machines. I have personally never seen a machine where the installation fails, but am very curious for the reason.

Pavel
Isn't there some clickthrouhg warning upon initial installation? How about a polite but firm RTFM there?