Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2018, 09:00   #1036

Re: OpenCPN General

Hello all, I'm new to the software and plan to install on a Linux or windows PC. No problems there, but what I'd like more info about if or how to connect the audio alarm output to an external buzzer or any other output.

I'm only really interested in the audio output of the anchor alarm so I can use that as an input into an existing monitoring system, which sounds all around the boat.

Thanks

ChristinaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 09:06   #1037

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaG View Post
Hello all, I'm new to the software and plan to install on a Linux or windows PC. No problems there, but what I'd like more info about if or how to connect the audio alarm output to an external buzzer or any other output.

I'm only really interested in the audio output of the anchor alarm so I can use that as an input into an existing monitoring system, which sounds all around the boat.

Thanks
Use the watchdog plugin and set the anchor alarm to start an external command activating your buzzer.
If you currently do not have a way to activate the buzzer from the computer at all, you will of course need to implement it (trivial if the computer is eg. a RaspberryPI with GPIO pins, more tricky for a normal PC with standard interfaces like USB, which are generally not directly usable for such stuff).

Pavel

nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 09:18   #1038

Thanks Pavel, no buzzer as yet, still working out what I need and how to make it work.
Old 13-06-2018, 09:41   #1039

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Thanks Pavel, no buzzer as yet, still working out what I need and how to make it work.
An arduino and buzzer would be one inexpensive option, then a command to send some text down the com port , when the arduino recognizes the text it buzzes the buzzer for X seconds.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 00:49   #1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Use the watchdog plugin and set the anchor alarm to start an external command activating your buzzer.
If you currently do not have a way to activate the buzzer from the computer at all, you will of course need to implement it (trivial if the computer is eg. a RaspberryPI with GPIO pins, more tricky for a normal PC with standard interfaces like USB, which are generally not directly usable for such stuff).

Pavel
Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
An arduino and buzzer would be one inexpensive option, then a command to send some text down the com port , when the arduino recognizes the text it buzzes the buzzer for X seconds.
Thanks. I was looking at installing on an existing PC, but if I need to add a RasperryPi and Arduino (never worked with either) then I guess I have some homework to do, unless somebody else has suggestions based around a standard PC, the current one has USB and RS232 but would but another cheapy if necessary.
Old 14-06-2018, 05:46   #1041

Boat: Valiant 42

Christina,

OpenCPN makes a sound on the PC for anchor alarm. All you need is to connect the audio output of the PC into the all boat audio system. Most PCs can do that using a mini stereo cable or by blue tooth. To avoid hearing other operating system sounds you might want to turn those off using the operating system control panel.

This would also make possible sounds for AIS alarms as well as other types of sounds like ships bells if you wanted that too.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 06:19   #1042

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Christina,

OpenCPN makes a sound on the PC for anchor alarm. All you need is to connect the audio output of the PC into the all boat audio system. Most PCs can do that using a mini stereo cable or by blue tooth. To avoid hearing other operating system sounds you might want to turn those off using the operating system control panel.

This would also make possible sounds for AIS alarms as well as other types of sounds like ships bells if you wanted that too.
Thanks! Simple enough that I may be able to implement myself, I like it! and was dreading learning about Rasp. Pi and anything else new.
Old 16-06-2018, 05:36   #1043

Boat: Beneteau First 47.7

Hello
I have just updated my computer to Ubuntu 18.04, but I cant find br24radar plugin for Bionic.
Is it possible to make the plugin because now I cant use my radar

Magnus
kirribilli47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 00:56   #1044

Boat: Jeanneau SO 32I

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirribilli47 View Post
Hello
I have just updated my computer to Ubuntu 18.04, but I cant find br24radar plugin for Bionic.
Is it possible to make the plugin because now I cant use my radar

Magnus
Download the zesty build...

https://launchpad.net/~nohal/+archiv...sty1_amd64.deb

And install:

sudo dpkg -i package-name

If you are not using a 64 bit machine or system you can find other downloads at

https://launchpad.net/~opencpn/+arch...-archive-extra

Try it. May it works for you.
pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 16:55   #1045

Boat: 1975 Isander 28

Quote:
Thanks. I was looking at installing on an existing PC, but if I need to add a RasperryPi and Arduino (never worked with either) then I guess I have some homework to do, unless somebody else has suggestions based around a standard PC, the current one has USB and RS232 but would but another cheapy if necessary.

I just created a project to help with this kind of thing. It is an 8 bit micro controller, so much less power and more robust than a PI. I made it as a USB keyboard/mouse device but it has a serial firmware also, so you can send it commands through the USB serial device ( no drivers required ) and do anything you want with all the free pins.

The project is here:
github.com/capnkeith/navputter

skkeith is offline   Reply With Quote