Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2016, 16:53   #706

Boat: Fraser 42, 42 ft
Re: OpenCPN General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Mike View Post
Maybe the email got stuck in your spam folder?
Thanks Salty Mike, that was the problem. All squared away now.

Rod
Sawleeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 18:06   #707

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Sorry, should have told you. " Additional Options window" Thanks, looks great.
We've been using a Surface Pro in about the same location with a Canvas dodger. Under the Dodger (shaded), we can see it from the helm most of the time. I worry about bad weather and don't want to loose the machine, of course. And the salt water environment is not to good either. I don't have radar yet, (next year) but have connected my instruments with a nmea 0183 gadgetpool.de Seatalk Link

gadgetPool.de
gadgetPool.de

which works fine, except I am not seeing the fluxgate sensor's heading information coming from the Seatalk Bus. I may need to somehow multiplex the Fluxgate Compass (Nmea0183 output) to Autohelm Wheel 4000 autopilot (Nmea0183 in) with the gadgetpoole Seatalk Link data coming out of the Seatalk.

However I understand that course data is a little slow for overlay of the radar on charts, so I may have to get things wired up first and learn.

I may have some questions for you. Thanks for contributing.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 23:20   #708

I am trying to make a bsb format of a training chart for use in teaching. i have been trying KapGen, having georeferenced it with mapcal_2. Then made the header with mc2bsbh and that seems to work fine, but i get an error msg in the BSB production that says the header does not have a valid md5 sum. I can compute these sums for both the tif version of the image and the png image used in mapcal, but it is not clear which one it might want and also not clear how to insert this into the header.

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated... or maybe there are newer tools for this job?

thanks.

with apologies, i am new to the board and not sure this got to the right place.
DavidBurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:20   #709

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

DavidBurch, look at GE2KAP.
Old 05-01-2016, 23:23   #710

Thanks again. Solved the problem with imgkap.exe. Still some details to resolve, but we now have a hi res accurate 18465TR.kap that matches the NOAA issue of latest version in format and behavior. Not sure what gave rise to the MD5 issues with other approach, but it did not come up with this one.
Old 08-01-2016, 15:41   #711

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Lon...
Yes, we can help you out - I hope you are now happy with the download page and feel safer downloading and installing on Windows 10 (Which of course is supported)

Pavel
Hi Pavel:

It's hard to believe, but I am still working on downloading Opencpn. The problem is that I cannot get charts into the directory and have gone as far as paying O charts 15 euro but cannot find a file under the install area. Basically I need someone to send me a detailed list to follow to sucessfully download opencpn onto our new Windows 10 platform.
Please help.

Fair winds, Lon
mascot 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 21:24   #712

Boat: Fraser 41

I just installed Navigatrix on a Lenovo thinkpad and am trying to use OpenCPN. I downloaded the test charts from the website. I went to Charts in the options and chose the place where I have put the charts. When I click apply, I can see that something is happening in the background, and the chart screen goes grey for a few moments, but then comes back with the background map.

I thought maybe it was Navigatrix that is the problem, so I rebooted into Windows 8.1 and installed OpenCPN for windows. Same problem.

Help?

Thanks, EugeneGreenie.
EugeneGreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 23:57   #713

We have a short video here that might help:

https://youtu.be/MLhxVEaUM88

This one is installing into Win 10 run on a Mac with Fusion and loading one chart.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:13   #714

Boat: Najad 34

Lon
1)
You've downloaded and installed OCPN and it's up and running, correct?
Which OCPN version did you use - Stable 4.0 or the newest, close to stable, 4.1.1301?

2)
What kind of charts did you installed/copied and did you follow the advises at: Chart Files Tab | Official OpenCPN Homepage ?
When you add charts into OCPN please remember to point at a directory, not single file(s)

Please also bare in mind that the manual/wiki I've linked to is now edited to reflect the new version of OCPN. So for example references to "Chart downloader" is not valid if you installed version 4.0
For a dedicated 4.0 wiki use the question mark in the program tools menu.

I'm running 4.1.1301 on two different Win10 machines.
Good luck
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:50   #715

David, that was a lifesaver! I have never used a program like this, so i did not know to look for the outline of my chart on the background map. I am sure it was there all the time.

Thank you so much!

Eliza in Oregon (AKA EugeneGreenie)

PS, I have your books and the paper training chart (Buzzards Bay and the entrance to the Cape Cod Canal), which happens to be my old stomping grounds, so I know that chart like the back of my hand Thank you for your excellent course on navigation!
Old 09-01-2016, 10:52   #716

Hakan, the key to my issue was that I was not aware to look for the chart I had downloaded in its location on the background map Since I am in the PNW and OPENCPN's default location is the east coast, I did not know it was there the whole time.

I am so stoked to have figured this out!!!! Gonna start dowloading charts galore.

Thank you thank you!

Eliza in Oregon (EugeneGreenie)
Old 30-01-2016, 13:16   #717

Boat: Tiger Marine 48 feet motoryacht
Send a message via Skype™ to fboz

I've installed the encrypted canadian charts in open CPN and cannot see them in open CPN
fboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 13:29   #718

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneGreenie View Post
David, that was a lifesaver! I have never used a program like this, so i did not know to look for the outline of my chart on the background map. I am sure it was there all the time.

Thank you so much!

Eliza in Oregon (AKA EugeneGreenie)

PS, I have your books and the paper training chart (Buzzards Bay and the entrance to the Cape Cod Canal), which happens to be my old stomping grounds, so I know that chart like the back of my hand Thank you for your excellent course on navigation!
Very glad to hear it helped and thanks for those kind words about our courses. We are now working on making weather maps readable in OpenCPN and are documenting the progress in our nav blog with videos as time permits.
Old 30-01-2016, 17:27   #719

Boat: Tiger Marine 48 feet motoryacht
Send a message via Skype™ to fboz

I'd like to clarify my question regarding the Canadian Charts: I have installed the CDN charts in Open CPN along with the encryption file under charts in Open CPN. These Charts are for coast of British Columbia east of Vancouver Island.

I also have the NOAA charts for the Pacific northwest installed.

When I open the navigation pane to the area off the coast of Vancouver I can see the NOAA charts but north of that it does not display the Canadian Charts.

I have the feeling that I'm missing something to make it work.

I would appreciate if someone that managed to make it work would share the secret.

I have the latest version of Open CPN installed. Everything else works inc. GPS
fboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 17:43   #720

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Fboz,
Quote:
Originally Posted by fboz View Post
I'd like to clarify my question regarding the Canadian Charts: I have installed the CDN charts in Open CPN along with the encryption file under charts in Open CPN. These Charts are for coast of British Columbia east of Vancouver Island.
..... but north of that it does not display the Canadian Charts.
I have the feeling that I'm missing something to make it work.
I would appreciate if someone that managed to make it work would share the secret.
There is an old thread where everything is explained. And explanations end here:
BSB4, 2011 Canadian Chart Problem [pics]

Read this thread from beginning to this post.

You can also read this other post :
BSB4 plugin chs windows 8.1

In an other en recent post, BoboftheNorth said that these charts are displyed correctly with the last bêta 4.1.1329 on W 8.1.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote