Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-12-2015, 00:43   #691
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: OpenCPN General

Rod,

you will need the NGW-1 N2K<-->NMEA0183 gateway to get N2K data into OCPN.
The NGT-1 "just" connects to your N2K network, but OCPN does not talk N2K natively. It will need NMEA0183 sentences.

If you want to play you can use the NGT and the software available at CANBOAT to create the NMEA0183 data stream as well.

As one will always need a physical N2K interface OCPN did not implement the direct access to this type of networks.

Most probably a solution on base of SignalK will come earlier than a native implementation of N2K for OCPN.
This type of solution would look like NGT-1 (or any other N2K access) --> SignalK server (accepting N2K) --> SignalK client for OCPN

Old 22-12-2015, 04:38   #692

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Rod and bcn. Thankyou for writing about this connection.

Rod I think you could just register anew as you my have changed your email.

Old 22-12-2015, 11:06   #693

Boat: Fraser 42, 42 ft

Thanks bcn and rgleason. I hadn't grasped the difference between the NGT and NGW versions of the Actisense; one is native nmea 2000 on both sides and the other is a translator, nmea 2000 to nmea 0183. I was just seeing the convenience of the USB connector. I will change the NGT to an NGW.

About the donation problem I go past it, I was not entering the amount first and for some reason entering in the wrong order locked me in to the US addresses.

On getting a new password for sign in on the opencpn main page, I am still stuck. I choose the request new password option, it accepts my email address and says an email with instructions has been sent to my email, but no email comes. I havn't changed my email, so if I try to create a new sign in, it says the email address is already taken.

Thanks again,

Rod
Old 29-12-2015, 06:03   #694

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

I almost hate to ask but can I install road maps into opencpn and navigate on land with it?

Background: just installed Linux Mint 17.3 on a Compaq Laptop now opencpn to learn what I can about it while still landlocked and looking for our boat.
Old 29-12-2015, 06:36   #695

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawleeah View Post
Thanks bcn and rgleason. I hadn't grasped the difference between the NGT and NGW versions of the Actisense; one is native nmea 2000 on both sides and the other is a translator, nmea 2000 to nmea 0183. I was just seeing the convenience of the USB connector. I will change the NGT to an NGW.

About the donation problem I go past it, I was not entering the amount first and for some reason entering in the wrong order locked me in to the US addresses.

On getting a new password for sign in on the opencpn main page, I am still stuck. I choose the request new password option, it accepts my email address and says an email with instructions has been sent to my email, but no email comes. I havn't changed my email, so if I try to create a new sign in, it says the email address is already taken.

Thanks again,

Rod

Maybe the email got stuck in your spam folder?
Old 29-12-2015, 16:28   #696

Boat: Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Mike View Post
I almost hate to ask but can I install road maps into opencpn and navigate on land with it?

Background: just installed Linux Mint 17.3 on a Compaq Laptop now opencpn to learn what I can about it while still landlocked and looking for our boat.
Hi Salty Mike,

My take on this is that yes, you can, but it would be a monumental task. And the best you would have in the end would be a display of your position on roads with no capability for routing, turn information, etc. such as you get on a GPS made for road use (like my Garmin nuvi 760).

The task would involve making a large number .kap charts at varying levels of detail of your area of interest using the GE2KAP program overlaying Google Earth (with Roads displayed) or Bing Roads. See the sample image.

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15 12 30 08 13 12.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	115816  
Old 30-12-2015, 03:24   #697

For my area in South-West England I can download a kap from OpenSeaMap or OpenNauticalChart:

OpenSeaMap - The free nautical chart

OpenNauticalChart

This shows OpenStreetMap data and can be used with OpenCPN for some land navigation.

There could be an interesting development if one of these groups could make kap charts available for new areas. At the moment the USA has no 'land' kap charts for download from these sources.

Mike
Old 31-12-2015, 04:01   #698

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Mike View Post

There are far better applications available for this for example NAVMII.

Navmii | We'll get you there
Old 03-01-2016, 20:05   #699

Thanks again to bcn and rgleason on the issue of getting AIS information into the OpenCpn program.

Today I got the AIS features of OpenCpn working. I obtained an Actisense NGW-1-USB about a week ago, but have been away since. I connected it to my SimNet network and plugged the USB into my computer. This gave the traffic on the network except for AIS communication. From the Actisense manual I learned that there are two varients of the NGW-1-USB, a standard and an AIS version. I had the standard. ( I have posted a picture of the end of the box). Fortunately, the difference is only in the firmware and I was able to update to the AIS version by downloading from the Actisense website.

The next attempt at running OpenCpn showed many AIS targets plotted on the screen (screenshot uploaded), and any feature I tried, worked. It remains to complete the installation, I'm short a network jumper cable to connect into the network in the cockpit instrument panel (photo uploaded). Then I will take the boat for a run to see it all in action.

The AIS display looks terriffic. Thank you again for your help. I hope this post may be helpful to someone else working through a similar situation.

Sorry, I may have jumbled the attached photos.

Rod
Old 04-01-2016, 03:59   #700

Rod Thank you for your report on progress. I did not know about the firmware difference in the artisense in the NGW-1-USB and that it could be changed to support AIS. Congratulations on your success. When you get a chance some photos would be nice.
Old 04-01-2016, 14:07   #701

Here, I hope, are some pictures as indicated in my previous post.

Rod
Old 04-01-2016, 14:16   #702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawleeah View Post
Here, I hope, are some pictures as indicated in my previous post.

Rod
It seems clear I don't understand how to post pictures. I went to advanced mode and used the browse feature for uploading files. Pics were jpeg and all under 400 kB. What have I got wrong?

Rod
Old 04-01-2016, 14:51   #703

I am sorry Rod is resolution 800 or less each side?
Old 04-01-2016, 15:04   #704
Marine Service Provider

This forum is driven by vBulletin and the design of the file up-loader is "old style before Y2K" and not very user-friendly as expected in 2016, but it works if you get used to it. before posting attachments next time, be sure to maximize the uploader window and make not of that it is several file choosers for different types of files - it could be that you has tried to upload your jpg files in the wrong file chooser/upload.
Old 04-01-2016, 16:38   #705

Hi, here is another shot at the pictures, using the attach file browser maximized. I see them now in the Additional Options window. Here goes.

Rod
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Actisense Box.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	116156   Click image for larger version

Name:	AIS Working.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	365.6 KB
ID:	116157