Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2015, 21:26   #661

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: OpenCPN General

Manateegirls...
The only suggestion is to download again so that it is not broken. The size of the windows installer for OpenCPN 4.0 is exactly 28859693 bytes.
What exactly did Chrome say about it being "unsafe"?

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 22:38   #662

Boat: Roberts Spray

Thanks Patel-we have tried 3 times! The size is showing as 27.5mb-does this seem right? "This file may harm your browsing experience so chrome has blocked it" Any other suggestions?: banghead:
Thanks
Ana
manateegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 23:14   #663
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Use Firefox for the download and if necessary uninstall Chrome.

It's the first time something like this has been reported here.
Just crazy with >250.000 user where aprox 75% are on Windows....
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 04:41   #664

Anyone can tell me where do you get the files for the plugins to use EU Tidal Currents?
Regards
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 16:57   #665

Thanks for the informations
Old 01-08-2015, 02:32   #666

Boat: BENETEAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dub View Post
Thanks for the informations
HI,

Is EU means Europe ?
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:23   #667

Quote:
Originally Posted by AISEAG View Post
HI,

Is EU means Europe ?
Yes, Quite right.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:31   #668

Quote:
Originally Posted by manateegirls View Post
Thanks Patel-we have tried 3 times! The size is showing as 27.5mb-does this seem right? "This file may harm your browsing experience so chrome has blocked it" Any other suggestions?: banghead:
Thanks
Ana
I have the problem with plugins using Panda AV. Not a show stopper, but I have to tell Panda to recover the files and use them. Sort of a PITA. My guess is you are having a similar problem with your AV software.
dwoodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:20   #669

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Of course Norton Security with Backup has gotten so agressive that it removes downloads for being "unknown" ws.reputation and has even labeled the opencpn download page a malicious site blocking everything. Of course I am disgusted with them, but not prepared to go naked as it has saved me lots of grief in the past. I just find the files that have been removed and have to over-ride. If enough users establish the files reputation it wont happen as much.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:36   #670

Try AVG
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:09   #671

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
Try AVG
sorry for the warning, AVG is more slippery than water, I used their full & paid programs, Antivirus and Tune-Up for about 5 years. One day I caught a virus despite AG protection, this might happen with any AV, but asking for help they let me run in circles, no way to talk or communicate directly with anyone knowledgeable on time, they did call back after 3 weeks, said sorry for the delay, the guy in charge had left, another will call me who was never heard anymore. I switched back to free Microsoft defender and did not have any problems yet, this is about 2 years now. There was a second encounter with my wife's cellphone and the AVG anti-theft program. We arrived in Far East and forgot at home to disable AVG. changing the SIM avg decided, this phone must be stolen. Again, no help at all from AVG, but a monster phone bill on my one, at least I could reset the phone to factory state. 3 h later AVG was erased from all electronics and they never asked why. Cheaper to loose a customer then invest helping him.

Good luck whatever you choose, Heinrich
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 19:21   #672

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Check out the improvements to OpenCPN due to the Android Development Effort.
Updating the User Manual | Official OpenCPN Homepage
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 18:47   #673

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post
sorry for the warning, AVG is more slippery than water, I used their full & paid programs, Antivirus and Tune-Up for about 5 years. One day I caught a virus despite AG protection, this might happen with any AV, but asking for help they let me run in circles, no way to talk or communicate directly with anyone knowledgeable on time, they did call back after 3 weeks, said sorry for the delay, the guy in charge had left, another will call me who was never heard anymore. I switched back to free Microsoft defender and did not have any problems yet, this is about 2 years now. There was a second encounter with my wife's cellphone and the AVG anti-theft program. We arrived in Far East and forgot at home to disable AVG. changing the SIM avg decided, this phone must be stolen. Again, no help at all from AVG, but a monster phone bill on my one, at least I could reset the phone to factory state. 3 h later AVG was erased from all electronics and they never asked why. Cheaper to loose a customer then invest helping him.

Good luck whatever you choose, Heinrich
That's one reason I ditched windoze once and for all, and committed fully to Linux. I don't even use any AV or Anti-Malware on my puter. With a little smart and cautious computing, it seems to work just fine. One of the hassles of WinDohs for me was all the software that was supposed to keep my computer safe. It would delete stuff I NEEDED, delete apps, all sorts of stuff. I seldom was troubled with viruses etc but I am NEVER troubled by them, now. Ubuntu gives me the "are you SURE???" messages sometimes but never deletes stuff without my permission.

And I am very happy with how OCPN runs on both Ubuntu and my Android phones. The only thing I cant do on Ubuntu that I can do on Windoze is run VB plugins and some other proprietary MS stuff. Anybody sick and tired of Windows should try running Ubuntu or Mint from a LiveUSB thumb drive for a couple of weeks.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:47   #674

Just downloaded version 4 for my mac to try and make the "waypoint" wording active when I right click on a waypoint, only to find that I now have an annoying 'camara click' noise whenever my boat moves on the screen as well as the unclickable waypoints!
Any help out there?
Tequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:12   #675

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequila View Post
Just downloaded version 4 for my mac to try and make the "waypoint" wording active when I right click on a waypoint, only to find that I now have an annoying 'camara click' noise whenever my boat moves on the screen as well as the unclickable waypoints!
Any help out there?
There are no other sounds nor 'camara click' noise in OpenCPN than "Ship Bells" (see User Interface in Options Settings) and "Play Sound on CPA/TCPA Alerts" (see Ships/AIS Targets in Options Settings).

Gerhard
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote