Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-11-2014, 03:35   #616

Re: OpenCPN General

Currently using 3.3.2302 but I have been up and down the scale trying to find one that works.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:47   #617

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

If you can navigate a dinghy, it will work for a bigger boat.

Quote:
1. Do I prefer a W8 tablet? (I am not a Linux guy, and from what I understand I would have to compile it myself on an android), or do I go for the android and climb the learning ladder from step one?
I would use Linux or Windows right now. Then try config for android later as you gain experience and the process is refined (but it is doable) See OCPN for Android Proof of Concept and Teaser.... Opie91 found a decent A9 with Mali graphics, but you'd need a display and keyboard. A tablet would be good in the dinghy.

Quote:
2. Will it work with modbus weather apparatus or does it have to be nmea? (has anyone made modbus work and how do you connect?)
If it outputs Nmea sentences properly it should proably work. Look at this thread for an alternative look at this wind sensor
Autopilot Sensing Devices - CC2541 SensorTag Development Kit

Quote:
3. Is the built in gps utilized or do I have to have an external gps puck?
My Samsung S4 phone and my wifes Samsung Note 8 have built-in GPS, not cellular towers and MXMariner App uses that (derived from Opencpn) also I like GPS Status app on android with this phone because it enhances the GPS discovery of satellites (much faster). Additionally I can send the GPS signal via Bluetooth using Serial port & nmea to my PC if my GPS puck does not work. See manual Android GPS via BT to Opencpn | Official OpenCPN Homepage
You can also use a GPS puck.

There are other threads on these topics that you will find interesting. I suggest you do some searches on Threads or Posts from the Search Link above, just do the search on the Opencpn folder not the whole website. There is a wealth of information.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:56   #618

Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27

Welcome to the forum, Mihari.

There is a good bit of work involved in setting up Linux and OCPN on an Android device, but it does work and there are apps which allow OCPN to use the on board GPS. Follow Wrong's method.

A w8 tablet will work I think. I just hate windows, since w8 came out. My computer now runs Ubuntu 14.04.

There are also apps that run natively in Android. MX Mariner is popular here. My own favorite is Marine Navigator. Avoid the similarly named "Marine navigator". The one you want has both names capitalized and a sailboat over a chart background as the icon. Both of these access the on board GPS. Neither one can use the CM95 charts but both can use the NOAA raster charts. One of the advantages of using OCPN is being able to use so many different chart formats including CM95.

A zip lock bag does a good job of keeping your device dry in a dinghy. You can operate the touch screen right through the bag.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:23   #619

Dear Chris2014

I am so glad you asked about Weather_routing and Climatology! I am sorry you have spent some time tryiing to get it to work. Perhaps I can help you. Please read below and look at the links for a general tutorial on how to get around to plugin threads, and to post. I am afraid I did not post the relevant note in two places (which is not an accepted practice) but I could have posted a link in the Weather_routing Thread now, back to my note under the Climatology Thread....

In short, we need Sean to update the Wx_Rte plugin to work with the more detailed data being used in the Climatology plugin....OR the alternative is to download an older version of the climatology plugin which should now work with the current wx-rte plugin (note that the data is now a part of the plugin install, so it will change as well). Sean improved the wind data to 6hr / .5 degree data in the areas/months of the world where there is more significant change in wind patterns. As a result when weather_routing plugin gets updated to use the new data and work with thee new plugiin, the routing will be improved..... Currently there is a message which pops up saying weather_routing cannot use the climatology data from that version of the plugin.

Quote:
Hi, does anyone know whats happening to the weather routing plugin? i saw screen prints about it on the web but since i managed to get some files it does not work on the opencpn version i have.

Either the weather routing does not show up in the plugin list or the climatology don't. Never both at the same time.
Quote:
...I have been up and down the scale
The Forum users are posting at a very fast rate, therefore I am Formally requesting that these two Threads become sticky so that users are guided to breaking information on plugins etc and can participate with questions and comments in the appropriate thread.

Plugin Threads (List)

Sean Depagnier's Plugins

Here is a post with the Plugin Thread links
Sean Depagnier's Plugins

NOTE: If these links are not made sticky, I suggest you save them at the top of your bookmarks or drag them to the desktop for easy reference.

From either one of the links above you can get to these two links.

Weather_Routing
Weather Routing Where you can post questions or advise about your experience using Weather Routing.

Climatology
Climatology

Quote:
Also the most recent CL-DATA-1.0 Database download from Sourceforge is included.

Note that at the moment Weather_Routing will not recognize this new Climatology data, there is a popup note from Weather_Routing.

This version of climatology is about 6042kb rather than 5400kb due to the .5 degree wind data.
It would be a good idea to get to the appropriate thread, and if these are made Sticky Threads you will have easier access.
In future I will try to make a link to the relevant post in the affected plugin thread. Sorry about that. Thank you Chris for pointing this out, sorry for any inconvenience.

Rick
Old 05-11-2014, 05:33   #620

Ow. I thought that someone would make it plug and play some time soon.
Old 06-11-2014, 23:22   #621

pirate Re: OpenCPN General

Thank you for reading and replying!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
If you can navigate a dinghy, it will work for a bigger boat.
That is what I am hoping for. (Still about 6.5 meters away from a 10 meter sailing boat.) Thank you for the links!!! I will get to work right away!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Welcome to the forum, Mihari.

There is a good bit of work involved in setting up Linux and OCPN on an Android device, but it does work and there are apps which allow OCPN to use the on board GPS. Follow Wrong's method.
Thank you for the welcoming. I would have to set up Linux? I thought it works on Android...

Quote:
A w8 tablet will work I think. I just hate windows, since w8 came out. My computer now runs Ubuntu 14.04.
Never had W8 on any device. Have seen it on others' pcs. I am much more confident on a windows platform (and I can do some coding on VB if needed). Never had a Linux or Android device.

Quote:
A zip lock bag does a good job of keeping your device dry in a dinghy. You can operate the touch screen right through the bag.
I know it works well on IPhone.

Thanks again!
Old 07-11-2014, 03:32   #622

See also RhythmDoctor's very successful and complete descriptions using Lenovo Miix 2 8 with Win 8
Windows 8 Tablets for OpenCPN
Old 17-11-2014, 07:41   #623

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fizz 40'
Weatherfax Plugin "clobbers" route and track data

Dear all,

don't know, where to place this, as I haven't found any thread regarding weatherfax. I installed the weatherfax plugin V 1.3 and tested it recently on the latest Beta versions of OpenCPN, currently I tried 3.3.2316 but the behaviour is always the same: If you "calibrate" a weatherfax (like a TIFF image from Saildocs) everything works fine, until you close and later re-open OpenCPN. After re-opening, all the tracks and routes display very distorted, as if a huge number of waypoints is missing and you only see a VERY rough resemblance of what was a relatively smooth track or route before. Further, if - in this situation - you want to use weathermaps downloaded from the internet with the plugin, you get a message saying that the map has negative data and will therefore not be loaded. You then see the map like any image map and can re-calibrate it with the plugin. ....

To get all of this corrected, I erased all the plugin data (All Users/OpenCPN/Plugins/weatherfax) This cured the "negative map" problem and then erased the navobj.xml and renamed an older version e.g. navobj.xml.3 to navobj.xml and I got back my "smooth" tracks and routes... The problem is absolutely reproduceable. I do not remember, if the behaviour of the plugin was the same with a beta version of OpenCPN around August this year.

Can somebody check into this? Thanks a lot. If additional info is needed, please give me a post.

Best regards, Uwe
Old 17-11-2014, 13:59   #624

Uwe please refer to the Plugin Threads (List) here to find where plugins are posted.
Please bookmark this thread and look for Weatherfax link.
Plugin Threads (List)
DAVE, SERGE, PAVEL - PLEASE MAKE the "Plugins Thread" Sticky, Users need it.
Old 17-11-2014, 14:00   #625

WeatherFax ...
Old 23-12-2014, 06:31   #626

Route difference in Azimith from The Sailings formula?

I plotted a Route from Cape May, NJ (N38d 56.4m)(W074d 51.7d) to the Azores (N38d 27.9m) (W028d 21.8m)

OpenCPN reduced the route into 5 legs. It appears as though the legs are Rhumb lines (just my guess).

I checked between Leg 2 (N40d 24.6m)(W066d 22.9m) to Waypoint 3 (N41d 11.9m) (W057d 35.0m) and the Azimith is listed as 083d True.

The Great Circle Sailings formula for Azimith sets the Azimith at 080d 25.6m.

Anyone know why difference? Could the individual legs just be Rhumb lines but the overall distance between the Start and Destination locations a Great Circle route?
Old 23-12-2014, 07:01   #627

PDA1...
Yes, the individual legs rhumb line = straight lines in the Mercator projection.

Pavel
Old 25-12-2014, 20:03   #628

I have pushed a new release for the Logbook-konni plugin.

The release is here:

https://github.com/delatbabel/Logboo...es/tag/v1.2010

Can someone please update the download links on the plugin page? The page is here but I don't have edit permission for it:

PlugIns | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Thanks,

Del
Old 31-12-2014, 11:23   #629

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

FURUNO Navnet help.

Trying to help a friend who is running ugh maxsea. All navdata is coming from the Furuno server. I cant find the UDP or TCP settings inside max.

Does anyone know the network connection settings for OpenCPN to listen to and talk to Furuno?

He is running 3.22 on Mac.

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year.
Old 31-12-2014, 20:04   #630

sy_gilana...
I'm afraid Navnet is not just NMEA sentences passed over IP. If you connect to the same network, you can use tcpdump or tshark/wireshark to have a look at what circulates on the wire. If the boat has a MFD, there could be a normal NMEA0183 port on it.

Pavel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: