Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2010, 07:22   #181

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Hello,

I need , for the tutorial in French, to know the list of the meta objects which are displayed according to that one chooses:
Base,
Standard
Other.

Thanks beforehand, is to give me the answer here or to tell me where I can find her in the code.

Cordially

Gilletarom

Version française:
Bonjour,

J'ai besoin, pour le tutoriel en Français, de connaître la liste des meta objets qui sont affichés selon qu'on choisit :
Base
Standard
Autre

Merci d'avance, soit de me donner la réponse ici, soit de me dire où je peux la trouver dans le code source.

Cordialement
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 13:30   #182

Boat: Spindrift 43
Is there any interest in having a list-serv for OpenCPN? Maybe several even, support, technical, development. I own a Professional services company and have the servers to do it.
alsobrsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 07:06   #183

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsobrsp View Post
Is there any interest in having a list-serv for OpenCPN? Maybe several even, support, technical, development. I own a Professional services company and have the servers to do it.
SourceForge already has that functionality as well...
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 08:17   #184

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post
SourceForge already has that functionality as well...
Maybe we should start using it ...
See: https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/so...ailing%20lists

Or how do I get
  • latest project news (from the developers)
  • changes/ updates in CVS
The only mails I get are these from SF.net if someone added some content to the trackers.
Or did I miss something?

Gunther
Netsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:03   #185

Boat: Journeyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsurfer View Post
Maybe we should start using it ...
This comment prompted me to jump in with another one.

Background: I have 30 000 Nm sailing and 25 years of professional software development experience. I have considered jumping in on OpenCPN development, even tried some patches for my own version.

BUT I kind of loose my energy when I see things like the v2 beta discussion taking place in a single humongous thread where bug reports are mixed with release announcements and code suggestions in a completely random fashion. Some aspects of the project just seem so disorganized. After all, there are loads of best practices for FOSS projects that OpenCPN seems to ignore, in favor legacy procedures such as the discussions on peripheral websites like this one.

I think the project would benefit from aligning itself to the FOSS templates. Have an organized discussion forum, mailing lists and issue tracking. Then newcomers like myself would know where to go for info, and feel more welcome. As it stands, it feels like OpenCPN is more of a club for the invited than a FOSS project.

Yes this is just my subjective perception, but unless I communicate it, no one will ever know...

Cheers,
/j
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:21   #186

Boat: Phantom 19
Jesper,
you are definitely right that the project would benefit from more organization and proper tools and communication channels as more and more people are getting involved, but we have to give it some time to evolve. The 2.1.0 beta process showed (at least to me) that the forum is at it's usability limit but any changes should take place at the appropriate time (not in the middle of the release) and the way the majority of the workforce (Hi Dave! ) appreciates.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:35   #187

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperWe View Post
Have an organized discussion forum, mailing lists and issue tracking. Then newcomers like myself would know where to go for info, and feel more welcome. As it stands, it feels like OpenCPN is more of a club for the invited than a FOSS project.
That may be true on the development side of things, but when it comes to getting users and beta testers involved, having the process conducted openly on a popular sailing forum feels a lot more open than the relative "periphery" of some mailing list.
Old 03-06-2010, 13:55   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperWe View Post
I think the project would benefit from aligning itself to the FOSS templates. Have an organized discussion forum, mailing lists and issue tracking.
fyi,

http://opencpn.org --> about tab --> Bug reports & suggestions --> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=180842

where you'll also find the CVS repo, etc.

the wiki is here: http://opencpn.org/docwiki

which leaves the forum... I agree that the forum is a bit weird, but I'm willing to try something new as it does a good job of interfacing with the non-"FOSS developer club", which in this case is the target audience for the product.

regards,
Hamish
HamishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 14:51   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
That may be true on the development side of things, but when it comes to getting users and beta testers involved, having the process conducted openly on a popular sailing forum feels a lot more open than the relative "periphery" of some mailing list.
IMHO a separation between development and support as a first step would increase clarity, no matter what "techniques" are used.
Secondly a clear separation between the different OS (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X) for both parts will also be helpful.

A closed mailing list (and/ or a closed forum) for the developers may be useful, whereas a forum for all kind of support and help might be the best/ most suitable choice.

For bug reports there are some Opensource Bugtracker scripts available like Bugzilla (Home :: Bugzilla :: bugzilla.org), Flyspray (start - Flyspray - The Bug Killer!) or Trac (The Trac Project!) for just naming a few.

Same for handling feature requests, which should imho also be structured/ grouped by topic (e.g. GUI, AIS, GPS, Charts, etc.).

To have one big forum (only for support) with subforums (also localized ones) which could be hosted at forum.opencpn.org or any other subdomain would also be a step forward in my opinion.

And all these different parts should be hosted at opencpn.org (with corresponding subdomains, so the actual site with the Wiki and other things keeps on going as it is at the moment).

Please don't get me wrong, but it is not realistic to believe that a user reads a single thread with more than 600 replies, just to be up-to-date. And as a consequence some points are mentioned multiple times, which increases the first problem -> doom loop (in German "Teufelskreis").

But for me by far the most important point is Feedback (to the user), so that they can see that their input/ contribution has been recognized.

Gunther

@idpnd: I am very sure that new users will find the project/ program no matter where it is hosted. Most likely they will (intuitive) search at opencpn.xxx ...
BTW: That is one of the reasons why I would appreciate it a lot if there are some more volunteers to connect as many TLDs with opencpn as possible (also if they only redirect to opencpn.org).
Old 03-06-2010, 15:30   #190

Quote:
A closed mailing list (and/ or a closed forum) for the developers may be useful, whereas a forum for all kind of support and help might be the best/ most suitable choice.
closed development is the death of a FOSS project. Openness is required to attract new developers and help involve users-as-beta-testers. If there is even the slightest whiff of elitism users and new developers alike will be turned off and go elsewhere; users will not consider to send patches; etc.

Quote:
For bug reports there are some Opensource Bugtracker scripts available like Bugzilla
sourceforge is already used for this. see earlier post.

Quote:
Same for handling feature requests, which should imho also be structured/ grouped by topic (e.g. GUI, AIS, GPS, Charts, etc.).
again, already there @ sf.net

Quote:
To have one big forum (only for support) with subforums (also localized ones) which could be hosted at forum.opencpn.org or any other subdomain would also be a step forward in my opinion.
which is pretty much what we have now. but it is impossible to stop people posting help requests to the development sub-forum, and development issues (and perhaps project infrastructure strategy..) in the 'general' forum. often there is considerable overlap..

personally I'm glad I don't have to read the sub-forums I am not interested in. It means I can keep up with what I want to without my time being wasted by stuff I'm not as much interested in.

regards,
Hamish
Old 03-06-2010, 15:39   #191

Quote:
Or how do I get
  • latest project news (from the developers)
  • changes/ updates in CVS
The only mails I get are these from SF.net if someone added some content to the trackers.
Or did I miss something?

RSS feed: https://sourceforge.net/export/rss2_...roup_id=180842
Old 03-06-2010, 15:58   #192

Hamish,

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishB View Post
closed development is the death of a FOSS project. Openness is required to attract new developers and help involve users-as-beta-testers. If there is even the slightest whiff of elitism users and new developers alike will be turned off and go elsewhere; users will not consider to send patches; etc.
It depends on what you understand by "closed".
From my point of view I would call a mailinglist to which only users subscribe who are interested in the development as a "closed" list. So "closed" may be the wrong expression.

Quote:
sourceforge is already used for this. see earlier post.
As you can see on SF.net I know this and have posted there already. But having two or more places for the same thing is even worse.

Quote:
again, already there @ sf.net
And again my same answer ...
BTW: It is also the question if SF.net is ideal for these things (concerning both: the scripts and the place). Why spread/ allocate different parts of the project to different places when all can be converged on one place (opencpn.org)?

Quote:
which is pretty much what we have now. but it is impossible to stop people posting help requests to the development sub-forum, and development issues (and perhaps project infrastructure strategy..) in the 'general' forum. often there is considerable overlap..
I don't think that it is "pretty much what we have now". I can't see any (real) separation. And an own forum could be administered by some Mods (e.g. move replies if they are in the wrong thread etc.).

Quote:
personally I'm glad I don't have to read the sub-forums I am not interested in. It means I can keep up with what I want to without my time being wasted by stuff I'm not as much interested in.
This I do not understand.
Just if there will be a separation of the different topics/ aspects you "can keep up with what I want to without my time being wasted by stuff I'm not as much interested in".
For example: I am a Windows user without any knowledge of Linux or any other OS. So I am naturally only interested in the points concerning the Windows edition, but have to read all the other stuff.
But alright, I understand your point of view. I guess you are familiar with the Internet, Software development, Forums, etc.. Try to see it from the perspective of an user who is not.

Gunther
Old 03-06-2010, 16:11   #193

Hamish,

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishB View Post
thanks for the link. But that was not the "jumping" point.
I know the feed (as you can see at OpenCPN.de | damit Sie überall sicher ankommen!), even though I was not aware that changes to the CVS are also included - so forget about the second point.

Beside the (rarely) used trackers on SF.net the only possibility to be informed about news is to subscribe to the forum threads here. Which in my case makes more than 600 mails since February. And in about 90% the new reply is not of interest for me.
So imho a mailinglist where information of general interest could be announced is quite an useful/ a helpful (additional) feature.

Gunther
Old 03-06-2010, 18:28   #194

FWIW, I'm a geezer/"IT Pro" who has recently discovered OpenCPN and would like to contribute. I realized long ago that the right 2% of the IQ Bell curve extends a long way. :-)
The opensource development model has long fascinated (and intimidated) me. I guess I should be able to figure out where I can be useful, but some sort of framework would help.
bobmor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:35   #195

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef
Exclamation route manager

For those interested using route manager and build themself , you can find attached a file routemanagerdialog.cpp including some modifications :
- Routes are named : "Route - name" - if no name, replaced by "Route - (unnamed)"
- Tracks are named : "Track - name" - if no name , replaced by "Track - first track point timestamp "
means routes and tracks are always separated
- Active route and track are marked by changing font (italic,bold,underlined)
- Three columns have been added : Total length,time and speed
For routes , speed is the planed speed you have entered previously in a route properties dialog and time is calculated accordingly (The same data that in route properties)
For tracks , time is the offset between first and last track point timestamps and speed is the mean speed calculated accordingly . Of course , to ensure this calculation is accurate , don't forget to start track just before departure and stop track or exit opencpn after arrival.
screen shot attached shows what it looks like .
To use it just replace routemanagerdialog.cpp by the file attached , build and run .
I would like to precise that I'm not a programmer ,so don't look at the code which is certainly not the best one , It's just a personal learning step . It's works on vista and XP , but I don't know what happens with other OS
Jean Pierre
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	routemanager.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	16742  
Attached Files
File Type: doc routemanagerdialog.zip.doc (7.1 KB, 79 views)
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote