Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2010, 16:23   #1

OpenCPN for Puppy Linux

I am working on getting OpenCPN running on Puppy Linux. This combination seems to me to be perfect, as the PC on my boat needs to be able to run very little else. Puppy is small, efficient, loads and shuts down quickly, and consumes less power, as the hard drive need not be run at all. For those not familiar with Puppy Linux, one of many summaries is An in-depth look at Puppy Linux

I have a SailPup version of Puppy Linux done by Michael in Germany, and have run that, showing great potential. I want to do the same thing, in English (his OpenCPN was compiled for German), and with fewer other applications. To do this, I attempted to load the Debian OpenCPN to Puppy Linux 4.3.1 (this is provided for, even though Puppy is not Debian), but have encountered errors. Before pursuing this further, it seemed like an inquiry here might find somebody that has pursued this path and could guide me, and others that would like to try this???

Bob
BobLarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 23:27   #2

Boat: Seawind1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLarkin View Post
I am working on getting OpenCPN running on Puppy
Bob
Bob,
Initially I too went down this path and also tried sailpup ref [QUOTE=otya;428357]Why not try puppylinux as I have suggested in the portable opencpn thread? ...........

However I advised in in a later posting that I had given up on this and reverted to ubuntu as it ran OK on my netbook and was more flexible.

Good luck If you succeed please let me know.

otya
philocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 23:33   #3

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Although I have been following Michael's efforts sympathetically, I am not a user myself.

Linux is not very resource intensive no matter what distro you are using. You could (more easily) minimise resource usage by using debian or ubuntu with a minimal window manager such as openbox, running only opencpn; the same machine could then serve as a normal pc in the standard gnome environment.
Old 21-09-2010, 08:04   #4

Boat: Newport 30
Version 5 of Puppy is based on Ubuntu. I installed it to a USB drive and then tried to install the Ubuntu version of Opencpn.
There were 2 dependencies that wouldn't install automatically, so I found them in Ubuntu depositories and installed them manually.
After that Opencpn installed and ran great.
A ready to go version of Puppy (openpuppy?) would be great.

I think I'll convert my current PC based nav system based on Windoze XP to Puppy and Opencpn by removing the HDD
and just booting off the USB drive.
Old 21-09-2010, 19:34   #5

rdempsey the Puppy 5 idea sounded like the path to take. So, I got the iso and burned a CD. After a couple of hickups about moving from 4.3.1 to 5.1.1 (It doesn't seem to be easy), I went with just installing opencpn_2.1.624a-1_i386.deb. It announced the install was successful, and inspection showed that I had 6 missing libs, all in the libwx family. These were added and all dependencies were resolved. Next I I found myself back with the same error that I was stuck with in Puppy 4.3.1, "opencpn: relocation error: oencpn: symbol _ZTV14 wxGraphicsPath Version WXU_2.8 not defined in file libwx_gtk2u_core-2.8.so.0 with link time reference."

You must not have this problem! I don't know enough to understand this error other than what I read. This says that wxGraphicsPath (I assume basically a pointer to a structure) is a "mangled name."

Does any of this make sense to anyone? Am I following the same procedure that worked for you with Puppy version 5?

idpnd I have not studied up on openbox, and will hold off on that until I run out of options with Puppy. It sure looks like the Puppy+OpenCPN combination could be great.

Bob
Old 21-09-2010, 20:43   #6
Marine Service Provider

Bob....

Sorry you are having trouble with Puppy 5.

Question: Where did you get your libwx....so files? They seem to have not been compiled with wxGraphicsPath()....

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 21:05   #7

Dave, I took what was handy, which was from Puppy Linux 4.3.1. The six files (actually 12 as there were relative links to remove the versions):
libwx_baseu-2.8.so.0
libwx_gtk2u-2.8.so.0
libwx_baseu_net-2.8.so.0
libwx_baseu_xml-2.8.so.0
libwx_gtk2u_html-2.8.so.0
libwx_gtk2u_adv-2.8.so.0
and these went into the standard library path for Puppy /usr/lib/

I don't mind playing with this stuff. I needed to learn more about Linux, anyway!

Bob
Old 24-09-2010, 07:54   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLarkin View Post

Does any of this make sense to anyone? Am I following the same procedure that worked for you with Puppy version 5?
Bob
I have Ubuntu on my home computer, so used the built-in "USB Startup Disk Creator" to create the USB drive from the Puppy ISO.
After booting into Puppy I installed the opencpn deb and tried to run it from the command line. I got error about the missing libs, so downloaded and installed them from here, I think:

Ubuntu -- List of sections in "lucid"

After I installed the two debs, opencpn worked. Sorry, but can't remember the exact files. I was just playing around and didn't record what I was doing.
Old 24-09-2010, 08:54   #9

Please ignore my previous post, I must have been smoking crack or something.

Ok, just recreated what I did:

1. Used "unetbootin" to create the usb drive from the Puppy ISO.
UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

2. Copied charts and Opencpn deb to the usb drive and booted into it.

3. Installed the opencpn deb for ubuntu.

4. Downloaded and installed the following:
http://lug.mtu.edu/ubuntu/pool/unive...untu1_i386.deb

5. Started opencpn from the terminal and pointed it to the charts folder.

Seems to work fine, but I haven't connected it to a GPS, so not sure if that will work ok.
Old 24-09-2010, 14:02   #10

Success!! Many thanks. I am running opencpn (no gps) with Puppy 5.1.1. I have gone far enough to determine the problem was my libwx files. The quick answer for others is to use the two library links just posted above by rdempsey.

I am puzzled, though. Both your libwx_gtk2u_core-2.8.so.0.6.0 and mine have the same file name, including the post numbers. But, they are not the same. Your link leads to a file size, 3434K and mine was 4060K. I thought the .6.0 on the end would indicate the same file. Not so.

In any event, I wanted to report back that all was progressing. I will do several things, now, like take the laptop to the boat and hook up the GPS and AIS. It is on a trailer, and I don't get AIS data here, so that might not say anything. But the GPS should work. BTW, I have both S57 and BSB raster charts displaying fine now.

I will also confirm that Puppy 4.3.1 is happy with the proper libwx files, and then explore using Woof to make a opencpn centered Puppy. This may take a little while, but things are moving ahead, now!

Bob
Old 25-09-2010, 01:00   #11

Part of the mystery is solved. You can install a deb library file to Puppy ver 4.xx and the file name is retained, but the actual file content has been modified for Puppy. Moving this file to Ubuntu or to Puppy ver 5.xx is not correct.

You can install a deb library file to Puppy ver 5.xx (which has, "binary compatibility with Ubuntu 10.04 packages") and it is usable there or could, I think, be moved to Ubuntu.

As I reported earlier, OpenCPN runs here under Puppy ver 5.1.1, with some operations not yet verified.

I failed again to get OpenCPN to run under Puppy 4.3.1, even with the libraries referenced by rdempsey. I received the same relocation error listed a few days ago. With my new knowledge, this is not a surprise, as once installed in Puppy, the libwx files were the same as what I had before! This is not a problem, so long as Puppy 5.1.1 works out OK, and it has so far.

More later, as I hope to hook up the external data tomorrow.

Bob
Old 08-02-2011, 16:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdempsey View Post
Please ignore my previous post
Ok, just recreated what I did:

1. Used "unetbootin" to create the usb drive from the Puppy ISO.
UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

2. Copied charts and Opencpn deb to the usb drive and booted into it.

3. Installed the opencpn deb for ubuntu.

4. Downloaded and installed the following:

5. Started opencpn from the terminal and pointed it to the charts folder.

Seems to work fine, but I haven't connected it to a GPS, so not sure if that will work ok.
I tried this in PuppEee 4.4RC. When I typed opencpn in Terminal, I was told I was missing libtiff.so.4. So, after a bit of research, I tried "ln -s libtiff.so.3 libtiff.so.4" in the "/usr/lib" directory hoping it would work with the older version.

Now I'm getting:

# opencpn
opencpn: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by opencpn)
opencpn: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /usr/lib/libwx_baseu-2.8.so.0)

I'm in way over my head here. I would really, really, really like to have OpenCPN working in PuppEee! If I get that and Airmail running, I'm ready to ditch XP.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Owen, Donna, Sparky and Coco
MagicSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:49   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSailor View Post
I tried this in PuppEee 4.4RC. When I typed opencpn in Terminal, I was told I was missing libtiff.so.4. So, after a bit of research, I tried "ln -s libtiff.so.3 libtiff.so.4" in the "/usr/lib" directory hoping it would work with the older version.

Now I'm getting:

# opencpn
opencpn: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by opencpn)
opencpn: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /usr/lib/libwx_baseu-2.8.so.0)

I'm in way over my head here. I would really, really, really like to have OpenCPN working in PuppEee! If I get that and Airmail running, I'm ready to ditch XP.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Owen, Donna, Sparky and Coco
I think PuppEee is using the older version of Puppy Linux which does not have the correct version of Glibc. I ran into this on the plain jane Puppy version 4 and could find no solution.

Version 5 is based on Ubuntu which I use at home and runs Opencpn fine.

Does it have to be PuppEee ?
Have you tried Puppy Linux Version 5? It runs great on my Asus Eeepc 1101 which is very touchy.
Old 19-05-2011, 03:08   #14

Re: OpenCPN for Puppy Linux

Hello all,

nice. sombody use my sailpup. i'm proud of it...

I try to make a update of opencpn. But there are some bugs or something in the deb-version.

I think its the best to leave the older cpn on it. But i will try it again.

Further i was updating the zyGrib. I will remaster and make this online in the next week.

I have some test-versions here with Dpup, upup and quirky.

It seems the best working ist the good old 4.13-Puppy.

Problems? Ideas?
Tell me!
sailorbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 04:30   #15

Re: OpenCPN for Puppy Linux

seems i should make a new sailpup based on Puppy5 in english?

and

i test a way to make an sailbuntu thats working from memory stick (not ready yet)

Greetings from Germany
the sailpup-michael
sailorbrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux