Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2015, 18:25   #61

Boat: 29'
Re: OpenCPN for Android Beta test 4.1.530

I see it, W7 sees it and this "Total Commander" sees it but the Thing is O won't see it...maybe by intent. That's cool, but it's new to me.
I can put my tide files somewhere else I suppose, but seeing as layers and your own extra icons need be in there?

humour me:

Pretend you have your xtra tide files in mnt/sdcard/.opencpn/UserTCData...
Goto
Options/Charts/Tides & Currents
Try:
"Add Dataset"

While you are there, grab and drag a folder
This doesn't seem right to me. Even if there's no consequence I get a bad feeling.

ADDED;
Quote:
3) That nasty erroneous warning when removing the icons from the tool bar is still there. (BTW would be nice to be able to remove a couple of icons at once rather than have to click off each - one at a time).
I get this debug note too.
+ 1 on choice of multiples..

I think I have figured out that the toolbar is probably going to be required for plugins? ..so that will fill up the screen more
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 23:36   #62

Boat: Rawson 30 PH

Well I have successfully killed it.

I navigated to the exsdcard directory under chart directory, then loaded my maps... quite a few... 1.5gigs of kaps from NOAA. I will be doing the inside passage August 1st so I will need quite a few charts.

When it was re-building the directory it appeared to finish, then started to load the main nav screen and then crashed with the OS giving me the error: unfortunately opencpn has stopped. Now when I load the app even after closing all other apps, and rebooting, it loads the top menu and the scale marker at the bottom on a black page, and immediately gives the same error: unfortunately...

I'm guessing I need to delete and re-install?

My samsung galaxy 3 is ideal size, has built in GPS(working in opencpn), and long battery life. I was planning on using the PC as my primary, but if I can get it working, I would much rather use the tablet as space is limited in my inside steering/ nav station... Rawson 30PH.

If you would like for me to try anything before I wipe it and try for round 2, let me know. Some of the maps are really big too... Is there a hard limit? Or only practical to the size my unit can handle?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
joel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:20   #63

Boat: a sailing boat

This file browser shows .opencpn folder:

ES File Explorer

under

storage / sdcard(number)

Below bold colored folders you will find grayed folders. One of them is .opencpn

It is .opencpn that I have to remove when reinstalling things. I assume maybe this is the configuration / log / ini / xml folder then?

This folder is not visible to many other file browsers.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:38   #64
Marine Service Provider

joel383...

We would like to see the OpenCPN logfile. This is found in /mnt/exsdcard/.opencpn/opencpn.log.

If your device uses a physical sdcard, that's easy. Remove the card, put it into a PC, and read the files.

If exsdcard is internal to the device, maybe you can find and copy it with some file manager...

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:09   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
This file browser shows .opencpn folder:

ES File Explorer

under

storage / sdcard(number)

Below bold colored folders you will find grayed folders. One of them is .opencpn

It is .opencpn that I have to remove when reinstalling things. I assume maybe this is the configuration / log / ini / xml folder then?

This folder is not visible to many other file browsers.

b.
yes, .opencpn folder is the user "data" folder.. just like windows or whatever.
but there is another folder data/data/.org.opencpn which roughly speaking is analogous to O on Windows Program Files. I doubt very much you will see it with ES File Explorer (I have ES on the tablet and I can't)
....but if you try looking inside opencpn's dialogue to load a tide dataset as per my post above ...very very carefully!!! -you could do damage!!-you will see it.
I HAVE managed to drag folders around to new locations inadvertently.

Opencpn is the most powerful file browser I have and that is just wrong.

IF O is going to keep advanced features of layers and user icons,
maybe O should create her user data folder as NOT hidden and then O could be as limited as the rest of the Android "file managers"..
Old 07-06-2015, 08:24   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
yes, .opencpn folder is the user "data" folder.. just like windows or whatever.
but there is another folder data/data/.org.opencpn which roughly speaking is analogous to O on Windows Program Files. I doubt very much you will see it with ES File Explorer (I have ES on the tablet and I can't)
....but if you try looking inside opencpn's dialogue to load a tide dataset as per my post above ...very very carefully!!! -you could do damage!!-you will see it.
I HAVE managed to drag folders around to new locations inadvertently.

Opencpn is the most powerful file browser I have and that is just wrong.

IF O is going to keep advanced features of layers and user icons,
maybe O should create her user data folder as NOT hidden and then O could be as limited as the rest of the Android "file managers"..
Is your device rooted? If so FX File Manager with the FX root extension are at Google Play. In order to view and manipulate hidden and or system files you must select the "System (root)" icon when the app is initially opened. This app is highly configurable so one should explore the user interface and options thouroughly to find the best view that suits you.

Otherwise, android 'root' versions of some file managers will be required in order to view hidden files. However, unless your device is rooted you will not be able to edit, copy, move or perform any other operation on these files.

I do not experience any of the issues related to the OpenCPN file manager described by posters. But my device is rooted and running OpenCPN in a linux chroot environment...
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:27   #67

...anyways after fooling around with the A 5 lollipop phone plugged in to PC, I can see all my UserIcons again...something to do with the navobj files that throw errors as unwriteable in log.

My "loading" dialogue issues are certainly strange. Today, there's no way to load charts from the "external" sd card. (sd1 on this machine) It's not seen by O even when sneaking up through the "mnt" folder.
So, I will go back to writing my own configuration file. It's way easier and strangely, less dangerous.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:35   #68

Quote:
...anyways after fooling around with the A 5 lollipop phone plugged in to PC, I can see all my UserIcons again...something to do with the navobj files that throw errors as unwriteable in log.

My "loading" dialogue issues are certainly strange. Today, there's no way to load charts from the "external" sd card. (sd1 on this machine) It's not seen by O even when sneaking up through the "mnt" folder.
So, I will go back to writing my own configuration file. It's way easier and strangely, less dangerous.
One word.
SELINUX
Old 07-06-2015, 08:49   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
One word.
SELINUX
...apparently not a problem here if you delete the old file and copy a new one in. My concern might be the editor I am using to duplicate the exact encoding...

anyways I find that O thinks my external sdcard (sd1) is best as discovered in "storage" folder. ...so if anyone else is puzzled look there from the dialogue.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:27   #70

Quote:
...apparently not a problem here if you delete the old file and copy a new one in. My concern might be the editor I am using to duplicate the exact encoding...

anyways I find that O thinks my external sdcard (sd1) is best as discovered in "storage" folder. ...so if anyone else is puzzled look there from the dialogue.
There's a huge difference between ownership/permissions for users, and selinux. Access to files by different users and groups can be restricted to a few or be universally applied. The same goes for permissions to read, write and execute files. Each user and group has the power to change attributes in their own files. Users can be given temporary authority to view, copy, move, edit, delete and execute some files. The root user can do everything, include destroy the system.

Selinux is different in respect to the fact each file type is permitted or prevented from doing any of these things and is hardcoded into the kernel. Selinux has been developed to primarily prevent 'man in the middle attacks' by introducing these limitations. Normally the root operator in a linux installation on a PC can change selinux settings to allow executables like OpenCPN to perform otherwise restricted file operations. Same goes for editors. So far, I don't see how an owner of an android device where selinux is enforced can do anything to overcome limits affecting what applications may or may not do. So, while selinux may permit opening a file for viewing, any attempt to save changes to the file may be prevented, EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE WRITE PERMISSION. Many developers of android apps will need to request their applications are given exceptions from selinux enforcement before users are going to be able to use OpenCPN and other apps without experiencing these problems.

Finally, it's possible ownership of devices is affected in Lollipop such that accessing a device using /mnt, /storage or other path will or will not work. It is also possible your application is being prevented from doing what you want by selinux. See what sort of output you get by running dmesg in an android terminal...
Old 07-06-2015, 09:50   #71
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

Hey,
UDP GPS and AIS both work great, i get a black screen that usually requires a reboot if I overzoom, and I still see more black bar at the bottom than I think I deserve, see screen shot. I've tried 'hide system bar' to no avail, like Barnakiel. Overall it seems faster and more stable.

Cheers, Eric
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:13   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
..... So, while selinux may permit opening a file for viewing, any attempt to save changes to the file may be prevented,...
that's why I do it on the PC as a copy and then ,after deleting the selinuxed file, replace it.
sigh.
Quote:
Selinux has been developed to primarily prevent 'man in the middle attacks' by introducing these limitations.
ya well, if you believe that- I think it's really about Rooters like you separating Google from your Data. They've invested in Android and want their dues...You will be Assimilated.

sigh..When I've had enough, I crush whatever doofunny-doodad doesn't serve me under my bootheel or let the tide come up over it on the beach while I watch.... I'm still allowed to do that, 'though I don't know for how much longer.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:58   #73

Quote:
that's why I do it on the PC as a copy and then ,after deleting the selinuxed file, replace it.
sigh.
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't clear before to me you were transferring a file from your PC.

Quote:
ya well, if you believe that- I think it's really about Rooters like you separating Google from your Data. They've invested in Android and want their dues...You will be Assimilated.
I was of course trying to abide by Cruiserforum standards by pursuing a positive rather than negative tone... Being nice.

Quote:
sigh..When I've had enough, I crush whatever doofunny-doodad doesn't serve me under my bootheel or let the tide come up over it on the beach while I watch.... I'm still allowed to do that, 'though I don't know for how much longer.
You can solve your problem in one of two ways. Replace Lollipop 5 with a pre android 4.3 stock O.S.; or, root and install a custom ROM without selinux enabled. My Xoom O.S. is Cyanogenmod 4.4 (CM11).

You don't have to kill the poor things!
Old 07-06-2015, 12:00   #74

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

(...)

(...)
OK. Invisible. (folder data visible but not its contents).

But then again I was so lazy that I installed right to the internal memory. If this folder is important for access, one can install the App to a card and (failing Android tools) just pull the card out and view on a PC or Mac. (I guess)

Or just ftp the tablet and view the files with an external browser. (I guess)

Why is this 'hidden' folder important?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 13:17   #75

Tested beta release on samsung galaxy tab 3, 10'tablet and on samsung galaxy A5 smartphone.
Nmea input from Wifi multiplexer, tcp.

CM93 map with charts on extSDcard in both tablet and phone.

Everything seems to be in good order. Menu bar is visible and clickable. Some items are not yet clickable.
AIS info was collected and presented accurately on the maps.Haven't tried the CPA alarms etc as yet.

It would be nice if wind en depth info would also be shown, as suggested earlier.

Holding the screen gives a pop-up menu, in wich the chart oerlay can be switched of. After that, it's not possible to switch it on again, bij using the same method. De menu item has disappeared. Only pressing the yelow menu bar on the bottom of te screen wil show the cards agian.
This is sometimes difficult, because the menu items are tiny and ea mistake is easely made. On thes pints I agree with other reactions: androidify the app further! But a great effeot nonetheless.

tnx

Ido
Ido Nap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn