Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2015, 12:53   #46

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: OpenCPN for Android Beta test 4.1.530

I did some testing and:

1) Apparently, now I can no longer view the App in full screen - I can remove the screen soft buttons as I used to do BUT OCPN does not slide down any more to fill up the blank.

2) Also, if I call up the Menu Bar and then hide it, AOCPN does not fill up the space either - I just get blank screen there.

3) That nasty erroneous warning when removing the icons from the tool bar is still there. (BTW would be nice to be able to remove a couple of icons at once rather than have to click off each - one at a time).

;-(

- All other stuff looks as well as before and internal GPS works right. The tools bar looks neater and it hides to a button. Fine.

- BTW I am almost sure now the program starts faster and it feels more snappy too.

More to follow as I get more time to play.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 15:50   #47
Marine Service Provider

barnakiel...

1. What app are you using to get full screen for OCPN?

2. What is your Android version?

3. Any chance of screenshots?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:00   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
Second
I have a Windows PC running OpenCPN reading NMEA.
The ships GPS and AIS are functioning correctly within the Windows OpenCPN.
I set up a TCP output connection on the Windows OpenCPN
An additional PC running Windows OpenCPN on the same network reads the IP (TCP) NMEA data for GPS and AIS correctly and displays both the Ships position and any AIS targets.
However, OpenCPN on the Android (Beta 4.1.530) only shows the IP (TCP) data for the ships position (GPS) - no AIS displayed on the Android device.
Maybe there is an option in the new feature under the new OpenCPN (Windows) version (not yet Beta released) that might fix this - there seems to be a new feature within the NMEA set up - just a thought.
OK, I've found a "solution" to the second problem.
If I "uncheck" - Ships - AIS Targets - Lost Targets - Remove lost targets affer (min)
and "uncheck" - Ships - AIS Targets - Lost Targets - Mark Targets Lost affer (min)
AIS Targets are then displayed on the Android screen
This issue was identified on the Cruisers Forum for a "non Android" installation - OpenCPN V4 - the posted thinks it is something to do with time synchronisation.

I also have my Android OpenCPN reading NMEA data over UDP now (Broadcast) - my inability to get UDP working was a silly misunderstanding of mine.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:10   #49

As far as I'm concerned this is an excellent step.
The Android app will be a really useful addition whilst on board and under way etc.
And the also as a portable navigation device using the Android internal GPS which seems to work well on my Samsung Tab.

IMO, there are a couple of important things that would make the app really useful.

First (as mentioned above) the size of font which displays the depths when using CM93 vector charts is too small to read.

And, more importantly, the size of the "default Own Ship" and "AIS targets" displayed on the Android version are too small. I know that I can fiddle with the Own Ship one but that isn't as important as AIS targets. IMO, they are just too small to see - especially when using raster charts - the AIS targets get lost amongst the chart detail.

However, this is a fantastic step forward for OpenCPN.

I will now load it and play with it on my Samsung S4 phone.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:45   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
barnakiel...

1. What app are you using to get full screen for OCPN?

2. What is your Android version?

3. Any chance of screenshots?

Thanks
Dave
I am using 'Hide System Bar'.

Android 4.1.2.

Screenshot attached.

I think the glitch is very last priority, because:

1) I have found ways round the limitation by starting the full screen App before starting AOCPN.
2) I have also found that sending AOCPN to the background then pulling it up to the top of the pile does the same job of forcing required full screen behaviour.

What could get fixed is the returning error msg while ticking off Tool Bar icons (when asking to remove an icon from or add one to the bar).

Maybe the future code could allow for multiple Tool Bar modifications at one time. As is, we are asked to remove or add buttons there one by one and so we have to call up the menu many times to remove or add many buttons. Possibly there is a better way to do this if we can select many ticks then just tap the screen elsewhere to have the options window disappear and the requested multichoice applied.

Big hug,
b.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-06-04-16-24-04.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	103233  
Old 05-06-2015, 06:57   #51

Finally got it working on my Samsung Galaxy S4 phone.
The big problem after installation was getting to a setup menu.
I think you have a "long press" option somewhere on the top of the page that then shows a prompt for the main menu in a text form.
That finally got me going.

Here's a thought.
Most (all?) Android devices have an "Ap" menu button.
Maybe this could link to the main OpenCPN menu.
That might be more intuitive for Android users.

There are also lots of places where dialog boxes etc are difficult to use.
Being a keen user of OpenCPN, this isn't a problem for me but if this is to go onto the Play Store, dialogs and inputs would (IMO) need to be easier to use.

Apart from that - it works - bit slower than my tablet but at the moment, my charts are on an external microSD card whereas I installed the charts for my tablet on the internal SD.

Even if you don't develop this further, I will be using it - it's great.
One example - we were having a drink in the evening sun last night - we had invited some locals over to the boat. They were explaining where the good anchorages were so I grabbed my tablet and fired up OpenCPN. For the next hour, the tablet (with OpenCPN running) was passed amongst us. A really helpful way of discussing good places to anchor. And, best of all, OpenCPN didn't crash!!
Old 05-06-2015, 07:04   #52

A) real world

I think some kind of a 'dashboard bar' or anything that could overlay desired data over the chart could be a big bonus. Something that would show us our Wind, Depth, VMG, (etc.) data. As is, I can only see COG and SOG (at the bottom of the screen) when the GPS is active ... there seems some space left in that bar ...

B) dreamland

BTW would it be possibly possible to implement some sort of 'implied depth' (implied chart depth) calculation and display when vector charts are in use? I mean over the whole OCPN? What I want to say is depth is a spot value but in case of vector charts perhaps we could get at calculated (inter-spot) values somehow?

My two centavos this time. I will be back with some more.

Regards,
b.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:19   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post

(...)

There are also lots of places where dialog boxes etc are difficult to use.
Being a keen user of OpenCPN, this isn't a problem for me but if this is to go onto the Play Store, dialogs and inputs would (IMO) need to be easier to use.

(...)
+1!

This is also my gut feeling: if settings and options could be moved (if only optionally) to a typical Android style menu. I know this can be difficult to get BUT this could be what an average Android user might find most intuitive.

Some users will be 'old OCPN salts' but I think many more will be newcomers. Their preferences will be whatever Android habits they have already built ...

b.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:01   #54

Boat: 29'

Quote:
this could be what an average Android user might find most intuitive
I'm a new android user but I don't think I've yet seen two apps that "work the same". Not if they have a lot of features anyways. As soon as you get into their menus, you are in a new and strange land and only your experience of spelunking and short term memory will serve you.
Like Windows.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:42   #55

But I would be lost without the Menu Bar. Isn't it pretty "Androidy?"
And if the toolbar didn't exist, I could live with that. especially per a new install on a phone!

A fresh install on a phone without knowing there's an easier access than these tiny buttons covering half the screen....my fingers are just too big to tap these and the "option/toolbox" is the first place an experienced usr will go.

I could live without the chartbar too, except that it's the only way to switch between Vector and Rasters . My happier work-around is to make chart groups

...just as soon as the bleeding stops from pulling my finger out of the pencil sharpener..
Old 05-06-2015, 09:34   #56

Yes. Menu Bar feels and looks Androidy. I like Menu Bar.

Still, MB sends you to the classic UI when it comes to settings. I like the settings too ... BUT ... the classic settings are a bit difficult to use on touch driven devices. And onscreen window settings are not how things get done in Android when they get done right. No harm if both Menu system and onscreen settings window system could co-exist.

I think it is (essential?) to streamline the interface politicks with how things are done in Android. There is a handful of Apps where we can look up the good habits and (when possible) ask the developers to apply them. I think native Android Settings App is a prime example of how things get done so that menu navigation becomes intuitive.

There will be new people using the App as soon as the App hits the Play. Being as Androidy as feasible will not hurt how the App is received.

I think Maybe Menu Bar functionality could get extended and the bar could get the same 'time delayed hide me' functionality. It would be nearly perfect then. Esp. if we could call it up as one poster suggested above: by one of the Android buttons (e.g. the center one that calls Google Search or Home Screen in other situations).

Etc. Since we are having this conversation at all implies there is some field for re-thinking the menus/settings config and UI thing. Who knows perhaps some Androidy ideas could add something good to the PC version too. Time will show.

b.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:49   #57

...and a couple of things noticed on A5.0 4" phone (but not particular to 5.0?)

A new install (to sd card or later Moved to sd card) does not create a folder named ".opencpn" anywhere I've been able to see...and when browsing inside O's own dialogues, she cannot see it either. I think this is new to this version.

...and yet, I think it's there somewhere.... and if I create one,drag it into the phone, it "works". Layers load for instance.
Ptizef's Old issue still here?:
browsing inside O's own dialogues (in these "secondary" windows: to create chart groups or load my own tides ) things still look like I am moving them around! -they sort of stick to my finger as I attempt to scroll down a list and even might be disappearring into the tiny folders? I retreat as well as I am able...yet no ill effect has been noted except that I can't get to where I want.

....more :
Lately it seems the list of wpt icons is limited. I cannot get any more choices than the window includes, and yet I know they all work-see earlier posts. I have seen this work properly before. If I delete one from the folder (that I had to create per above notes) another one of my collection will appear to fill the slot.
This "icon choice window" is sticky, it won't go away, and a crash or debug notice often follows attempts to dismiss it.
Possibilities I've explored include icon png formats that O doesn't like (...yet, she was ok with them before.) also, if there is one she doesn't like, she will not maybe not list it or any beyond it....but whichever, it's really too touchy now.
Old 05-06-2015, 16:41   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
...and a couple of things noticed on A5.0 4" phone (but not particular to 5.0?)

A new install (to sd card or later Moved to sd card) does not create a folder named ".opencpn" anywhere I've been able to see...and when browsing inside O's own dialogues, she cannot see it either. I think this is new to this version.

...and yet, I think it's there somewhere.... and if I create one,drag it into the phone, it "works". Layers load for instance.
Ptizef's Old issue still here?:
browsing inside O's own dialogues (in these "secondary" windows: to create chart groups or load my own tides ) things still look like I am moving them around! -they sort of stick to my finger as I attempt to scroll down a list and even might be disappearring into the tiny folders? I retreat as well as I am able...yet no ill effect has been noted except that I can't get to where I want.

....more :
Lately it seems the list of wpt icons is limited. I cannot get any more choices than the window includes, and yet I know they all work-see earlier posts. I have seen this work properly before. If I delete one from the folder (that I had to create per above notes) another one of my collection will appear to fill the slot.
This "icon choice window" is sticky, it won't go away, and a crash or debug notice often follows attempts to dismiss it.
Possibilities I've explored include icon png formats that O doesn't like (...yet, she was ok with them before.) also, if there is one she doesn't like, she will not maybe not list it or any beyond it....but whichever, it's really too touchy now.
I'm certain you've considered this already, but have you set your file manager in android (FX?) to show hidden files and directories? I'm almost embarrassed to have asked...
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:14   #59

Boat: Jenneau SO 47

Using Galaxy tab,

Difficult to capture and I have not been able to determine how to reproduce but sen s3veral times now the screen sometimes fails to redraw and loses definition. Touching the screen forces a redraw and everything is fine for a while..
Temptress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:46   #60

Not seeing OpenCPN folder in Android?

As Wrong said: play with your selected file manager's settings OR else try another file manager.

I found not all file managers find OpenCPN folder. I found it because I must remove this folder between installations (manually).

b.

Tags
enc, opencpn