Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2015, 07:09   #31

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: OpenCPN for Android Alpha test 4.1.427

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
Slightly off topic:

Until we get native support for Android built-in compasses , is there a free compass app which outputs to NMEA via tcp/udp to be used with OpenCPN for Android?

Dirk
If you have an App that writes from the compass to a file, there are Apps that can read from a file and forward to TCP.

Or you can ask any aspiring coder to write a compass to TCP / UDP App for you.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:05   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Wrong...

"Managing position of menu bar is flaky and no menus pop up to control what displays either."

More info, please. Do you mean OCPN Toolbar, positioned by dragging the "grabber"?

Thanks
Dave
Yes. There is absolutely no control over which direction you want to drag the bar using the 'grabber'. Other posters have mentioned menus that are associated with organizing the tool bar. Nada in my experience. If there are menus, raising them on my tablet is not working. Maybe I'm just not doing what's necessary...
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:46   #33

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Wrong,

Since you run opencpn both in linux (chroot) and now android natively on the same hardware... I would be very interested to know what differences you find as the hardware is the same. Specifically in terms of graphics performance and visual differences (we know the ui in android is still a bit buggy)

It would be great to eventually post this on the documentation for installing opencpn in a chroot so users will understand the differences.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:17   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Wrong,

Since you run opencpn both in linux (chroot) and now android natively on the same hardware... I would be very interested to know what differences you find as the hardware is the same. Specifically in terms of graphics performance and visual differences (we know the ui in android is still a bit buggy)

It would be great to eventually post this on the documentation for installing opencpn in a chroot so users will understand the differences.
First important point for consideration for users is device resolution and size of display. Everything I say below applies to a 10" and smaller screen size. Resolution 1280 x 800. If the OpenCPN source code incorporated changes and features in the android version of OpenCPN that were applicable to tablets, using higher resolution devices in a chroot environment would be easier. OpenCPN is probably still usable, but with lots of zooming required...

My early impression is vnc viewers used on android devices to facilitate using the linux desktop and programs provide flexibility for users difficult to achieve in android apps like OpenCPN. Multiple choices of mouse type and functions, keyboard mapping, display variables and more are features offered by vnc applications. I've never used a 'paid' flavor of a vnc app., but it would be interesting to see what other kinds of extra features are available.

I've always said that OpenGL does not significantly improve speed and quality of the display, and believe Dave agrees. Between the android version of OpenCPN and OpenCPN running in the chroot environment, display quality and speed may be pretty close to on par.

For me personally, having the ability to use other linux programs in addition to OpenCPN like zyGrib, image editing programs like Inkscape and the Gimp, CADD and more make having linux on my tablet worth while.

Bypassing a couple of steps necessary to use OpenCPN in the linux chroot environment is really no justification for me to use the OpenCPN android app. Too easy to mount the linux partitions, start ssh with Linux Deploy and access the linux desktop with a vnc viewer. In fact, the first step can be accomplished on boot. Only user involvement then is to launch the vnc viewer and start OpenCPN...

Finally, rooting a device opens up other possibilities over and above installing linux...

Not sure this is what you are after, but it's my first best attempt at an answer.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:09   #35
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

Hello,
I also routinely use O under linux on my Xoom and I find that the zoom and pan performance of the VNC is much better than O. So, I define a larger window in LinuxDeloy than I actually have on screen. This allows the VNC to quickly zoom and pan around this larger image once O has rendered it. within the limits of the window I have defined, it zooms and pans very fast. Yes, I know it isn't doing the chart rendering per se.

On my tablets the rendering speed for a completely new area is faster in the android version than it is in the Linux version by a noticeable amount. Say a jump to GPS position when the boat is not currently in the rendered area. OpenGL reports 20 fps in the android version (but seems to slow to 12 after a bunch of pans) and about 10 down to 2 in the linuxDeploy version if that helps.

Eric
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:52   #36

Boat: 37' TransPac Trawler, heavily modified

Samsung Galaxy Tab S10.5
The tablet pairs and connects with Bluetooth GPS but OCPN does not receive data. OCPN receives NMEA feed over TCP. The chart and status bars are fine for me after I increased the font size to 20 on the status bar. The menu bar seems to be too large and the icon bar is fine with tablet graphics ticked. Secondary menu boxes, such as, nmea log window and import gpx, appear to not function correctly. Still no vector Charts visible .

Sent from my SM-T800 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1430506325117.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	101241  
LeoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:57   #37

Question Re: OpenCPN for Android Alpha test 4.1.427

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs View Post
Hello,
I also routinely use O under linux on my Xoom and I find that the zoom and pan performance of the VNC is much better than O. So, I define a larger window in LinuxDeloy than I actually have on screen. This allows the VNC to quickly zoom and pan around this larger image once O has rendered it. within the limits of the window I have defined, it zooms and pans very fast. Yes, I know it isn't doing the chart rendering per se.

On my tablets the rendering speed for a completely new area is faster in the android version than it is in the Linux version by a noticeable amount. Say a jump to GPS position when the boat is not currently in the rendered area. OpenGL reports 20 fps in the android version (but seems to slow to 12 after a bunch of pans) and about 10 down to 2 in the linuxDeploy version if that helps.

Eric
Am I correct in recalling you have a higher resolution tablet than 1280x800? I've never tried your method of designating a larger screen size in Linux Deploy or for that matter in the vnc. For others in your situation, what other benefits or costs are noticeable?

I may be wrong (no pun intended), but 20 fps as opposed to 2 fps is hardly going to be noticeable.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:10   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoA View Post
Samsung Galaxy Tab S10.5
The tablet pairs and connects with Bluetooth GPS but OCPN does not receive data. OCPN receives NMEA feed over TCP. The chart and status bars are fine for me after I increased the font size to 20 on the status bar. The menu bar seems to be too large and the icon bar is fine with tablet graphics ticked. Secondary menu boxes, such as, nmea log window and import gpx, appear to not function correctly. Still no vector Charts visible .

Sent from my SM-T800 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
You may need to try one of the bluetooth/gps apps on Google Play in order to enable OpenCPN to use your gps data. Worth a try.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:36   #39

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Gerhard...

More information, please ?

"Strange behavior of "Enable Toolbar auto-hide" for other systems than Android. Please check this."

Seems OK on linux and Windows for me, so far.

Thanks
Dave
Dave

Please explain how this feature should work. For Mac OS X I can't find any user-friendly behavior.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 13:03   #40
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Gerhard,

one taps on the "reminder" of the tool bar and it expands.
After the defined time-out/inactivity it collapses again.

Freeing the space. Does make sense on small devices.

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 13:30   #41

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Gerhard,

one taps on the "reminder" of the tool bar and it expands.
After the defined time-out/inactivity it collapses again.

Freeing the space. Does make sense on small devices.

Hubert
It doesn't work with Mac OS X this way. Either remove it for OS X or needed to find some way to use it.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 15:03   #42
Marine Service Provider

Gilletarom...

re:
"See the screen copy. The icon bar, is left, top chart area. it is so small and the length is so little that it is impossible to "tap" with my thinger on one icon."

Please check OCPN options->UserInterface->Enable tablet scaled graphics.
This should be selected "ON" to enlarge toolbar icons.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 16:00   #43
ejs

Wrong,

I believe I have exactly the same Motorola Xoom with the 10 inch screen that you do, I have both types, one with Verizon cell capabilities (which I have never used) and one just with WiFi. They are both 1280 by 800. I'm not sure what the FPS numbers are actually reporting, but there is a noticeable speed difference between the linux version and the native Android version with the Android version being a bit faster. It is most apparent when there is lots of detail. It could be limited by the data transfer speed to the VNC, I don't know.

Eric
Old 01-05-2015, 16:19   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs View Post
Wrong,

I believe I have exactly the same Motorola Xoom with the 10 inch screen that you do, I have both types, one with Verizon cell capabilities (which I have never used) and one just with WiFi. They are both 1280 by 800. I'm not sure what the FPS numbers are actually reporting, but there is a noticeable speed difference between the linux version and the native Android version with the Android version being a bit faster. It is most apparent when there is lots of detail. It could be limited by the data transfer speed to the VNC, I don't know.

Eric
In case you haven't updated your chroot version recently, and followed my instructions through version 4.0.0 be aware that if you had problems compiling OpenCPN it's because version 4.1.427 is downloading from the Git repository now. Not 4.0.0 So, the requirement to download the CmakeTexts.txt file from 4Share no longer applies. The bug in the CmakeTexts.txt file has been fixed. My instructions have been edited to reflect this change.

4.1.427 appears to be o.k. so far.
Old 01-05-2015, 16:31   #45
ejs

Hello Wrong,

I have been compiling from the git source right along (from before you reported the CmakeTexts.txt issue) and I never had to make any changes to CmakeTexts.txt and things always compiled and worked just fine. I figured since there was nothing broken for me why change it.

Cheers, Eric

Tags
enc, opencpn