Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2015, 06:34   #61

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef
Re: OpenCPN for Android Alpha test 4.1.412

Dave
Sorry again
The first shot on my post above should be a bit confusing for you can see together "action bar" and chart and status bar.
Yes when I change from O menu unchacked state to checked the chart and status bar stay visible but when exit O then start they disappear.
Attached shot with the same parameters but after exit and start.
JP

Sent from my D5803 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1429277700512.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	100563  
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 09:39   #62

Great work! Tested on a Galaxy Tab Active 4. The internal GPS is not working. Otherwise OpenCPN seem to work (albeit a bit buggy).
stensmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 10:11   #63

Boat: Jeanneau SO 32I

It works very nice in different devices.

Tablet Acer Iconia A100: CM93 charts, ok. Build-in GPS call works, but no NMEA0183 data in. Android 4.2.2 kerbersrom, rooted.

Tablet Nexus 7 2012 model: CM93 charts ok. Built-in GPS ok. Zooming and panning, very nice. Android Cyanogenmod 12 Lolipop 5.0.2, rooted.

Phone Aquaris BQ 3.5: CM93 works OK. Built-in GPS ok. Zooming and panning ok too. Android 4.2 stock rooted.

Phone Moto G 2013 model: CM93 ok. Built-in GPS great. Zooming and panning also very nice. Android stock 5.0.2 NOT rooted.

I hope the info helps to the project.

May it is possible to get the sound working for the AIS alarms? Also, to get the dashboard plugin for android wil be great!

Some pics from the Nexus 7....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-17-09-14-48.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	100572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-17-18-43-50.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	100573  

pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 05:55   #64

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

From what I remember (building OA and testing in the emulator) a few months ago, plugins and translations were broken. Assuming this is still true?

I am wondering how we can handle plugins... maybe we can build an apk file per plugin? Not sure if this will actually work because the plugin is not actually an app itself.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 07:09   #65
Marine Service Provider

jp....

re:
"When I said "show menu bar", I was speaking about O options dialog.
When checked, I have above the chart a bar containing on the left the O icon and on the right three points vertical arranged.
This is, I think a standard look for menu in android - at least on my device. When I click on theses points I get the O menu.( see shot)
When unchecked this bar is no longer visible.( see shot)
Why I need the menu? Because the tool bar icons take half of the screen so I hide all and use menu instead."

OK, I see the situation. Android devs call this thing the "Action Bar"
This may be a good modus for operation on a small screen with limited space.

However.....

None of my devices show this behavior.
On all my devices, up to A4.2, I do not see the "Action bar" when I select OCPN options->User Interface->Show Menu Bar".
I never can see the "Action Bar" at all.

Anyone else see the action bar like JP's screenshot when they select OCPN "show menu bar"? What android version, please?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 07:45   #66

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post

None of my devices show this behavior.
On all my devices, up to A4.2, I do not see the "Action bar" when I select OCPN options->User Interface->Show Menu Bar".
I never can see the "Action Bar" at all.

Anyone else see the action bar like JP's screenshot when they select OCPN "show menu bar"? What android version, please?

Thanks
Dave
Iconia B1
Android 4.1.2

Yes.

When I tap Show Menu Bar, I get this bar.

There are minor bugs here though:
- once the bar is up, you cannot disable it in horizontal screen: the bottom of the User Interface pop-up screen drops below screen bottom level,
- tapping 'Apply' does not bring up any action until 'OK' gets tapped (then the pop-up closes and the bar appears)- this is not how 'Apply' seems to work in broad selection of Apps we have ('Apply' should bring the required action up in the background of the pop-up screen)

I like the bar better than the Icons Bar but I do believe it should be auto hide when not in use for x number of seconds (or when the map gets tapped) etc.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 08:10   #67

Boat: 37' TransPac Trawler, heavily modified

Samsung Galaxy Tab S10.5
Android 5.0.2
NOAA RNC charts load and are functional, as is
NOAA ENC charts fail to load and have this error in opencpn.log Error: No ClassRegistrar in InitENCMinimal
Status bar and chart bar both visible. Status bar unreadable because of small text
Selecting menu bar places Action bar at top of screen and it appears to fully function, but I lose chart and status bars.
On board GPS is usable in OCPN

Sent from my SM-T800 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
LeoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 08:25   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
...Anyone else see the action bar like JP's screenshot when they select OCPN "show menu bar"? What android version, please?

Thanks
Dave
Yes, I see the action bar, and the chart/status bar initially show above it. But upon restart of OA, the chart/status bars are missing, just like JP's screenshot.

I have another problem that needs to be addressed for phones and other smaller pixel resolution screens. When I activate the menu bar, the remaining window space is small enough that the options screen overflows the bottom of the screen, so you can't tap the "OK" button. I could find no way to scroll the options screen, so there was no way to accept any changes to the settings. So, having turned on the menu bar in the Options screen, I was not able to turn it off again because of no OK button. The only way to turn off the menu bar was to manually edit opencpn.conf.

RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 08:35   #69

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

one way to fix the issues with the chart/status bars especially z-order issues, but also uncommon window managers in X and to allow for many future visual enhancements would be to render them rather than using windows as they are currently implemented.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 09:06   #70
Marine Service Provider

barnakeil.RD, et al...

OK, after some futzing I now see the action bar on some of my devices. Turns out that if your device has a physical menu key, then you will not get an action bar at all. You get a popup menu at the bottom of the screen, as in very old android apps. This works all right, I guess.

The hardware key is now deprecated, but still exists on lots of devices. So lots of folks will never see an ActionBar.

Anyway, I can now confirm that the screen size calculations are scrambled when the ActionBar is shown, so that OCPN's settings dialog gets clipped. Also, the status bar and chart bar may be clipped as well.

Now that I can reproduce this effect, it should be possible to correct the calculations.

Another question, opinions encouraged:

"As an alternative to using the ActionBar, is it reasonable to have a means to hide the entire OCPN toolbar on demand, and then bring it back by tapping an icon (tbd) shown on screen in say the upper left corner? I experimented with this some on a smallish smart phone.

I observe that OCPN looks rather "naked" with no toolbar at all. Where did it go?. On the plus side, in average use, I find that panning and pinch zooming comprise almost all of the user interaction, and so the toolbar doesn't get used very often. If we hide the entire toolbar, we could get lots more real estate without sqeezing the toolbar icons down to very small, or removing lots of them as jp shows.

We could also make the toolbar disappear automatically by a timer after some period of inactivity, say 5 seconds?

What say you?

New alpha image coming soon now.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 13:25   #71

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef

Dave
I vote for your proposal
- Hide the entire toolbar bar with a timer
- Show it on demand with a button
JP
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 14:16   #72

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Dave,

On the specific command bar of Android. It appears on my tablet. If I slap on the "3 points", the various windows of the OpenCPN menu bar, are available.

But on my tablet, there is a special feature. At the bottom of the screen, there is a row of buttons, and all right, the last button is the button "3 points". (see my screen copy in my previous posts #55).

If the Android bar is displayed, I have access to button "3 points" in the bar, and the "3 points" button in the bottom bar. In this case, I can display the commands in the menu bar with the button "3 points" from the top, or the button "3 points" from the bottom.

So for me, the bar "Android" is a waste of space on the screen.

BUT: If Android bar is not displayed, the button "3 points" is accessible at the bottom of the screen, but it does not bring up the menu in the menu bar OpenCPN.

Regarding your idea to set up a permanent icon to bring up the OpenCPN tools, I think, as Ptizef, it's a good idea.
Best regards. Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 14:30   #73

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Dave, Hiding the toolbar would be good on these small devices.
I have an intranet on my boat, broadcasting instrument data from the Ocpn PC. The UDP broadcast is received fine (GPS works) but OA has no plugins, not even dashboard - is it just me, or is that yet to come?
thx
Matt
Old 18-04-2015, 14:37   #74
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

When I run O on my tablet under Linux, i set the vertical screen size larger than the actual vertical screen (really so I can fill the screen when I tip the tablet 90 degrees) but it has the effect that I can scroll to the center and not see either the top menu bar or the bottom status bars. The whole screen is filled with chart, bu I can get to the menu and status bars by panning the virtual screen up and down. It is a very nice mode of operation. So I certainly vote for a clever way to hide and restore the menu and status bars for Android devices.

Eric
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 16:15   #75

Boat: a sailing boat

If I were to have my way, I would love to see something like this:

- one tap: icons on, (no menu bar)
- another tap: menu bar on, (icons gone)
- another tap: no icons, no bars, just the chart, full screen,

So to say a rolling sequence of screen layout options, changing on a tap.

I love full screen no icons no bars no frames views.

---
As for icons and bars, personally, I do not care. I'd rather use a plain Android style menus for everything (just like Android 'Settings' menu) but any other style is just as fine. Once we start using something, we get used to things as they are and that's that.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn