Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-04-2015, 19:00   #76

Boat: Anderson 22
Re: OpenCPN for Android Alpha test 4.1.412

I can see all three bars and all of the config window on my HTC one, A4.4.3. The apply button doesn't do anything when I want to enable/disable any of them though.

Catalin

Old 19-04-2015, 00:30   #77

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Neptune,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
...... OA has no plugins, not even dashboard - is it just me, or is that yet to come?
Matt
Remember that the version of Android for OpenCPN is nor a stable version, or even a beta. This is just an alpha version. A pre-release. And therefore, the plugins are not yet available. They were removed voluntarily.

Old 19-04-2015, 02:59   #78
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Hello Neptune,

Remember that the version of Android for OpenCPN is nor a stable version, or even a beta. This is just an alpha version. A pre-release. And therefore, the plugins are not yet available. They were removed voluntarily.
All good, I thought that was probably the case, just checking! :-)
Neptune's Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 08:11   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs View Post
...So I certainly vote for a clever way to hide and restore the menu and status bars for Android devices.

Eric
Any clever tablet interface upgrades should be available on all platforms. There are also tablets running Windows and Linux.
Old 19-04-2015, 09:17   #80

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Regarding some of the external gps discussion about drivers. I did some work on sharing Android Gps via bluetooth with Ocpn on PC. I believe that it should be possible to have a BT gps connected to Ocpn Android.
There are BT apps that help... has anyone tried it yet?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 19-04-2015, 15:55   #81

Boat: 29'

Quote:
We could also make the toolbar disappear automatically by a timer after some period of inactivity, say 5 seconds?
No timers please! avast! irritating bloat,imo. I hate foggy, fading things. Either get rid of it altogether or ...

BlueSky Section:
- try O-a with just ManOverboard on the toolbar with the the option to add more with the present "pushnhold"...and perhaps a slight shrinking of the bar dimensions in pixels would be good too.

-Also, it occurs to me that the present "Menu-or-ChartBar-but not both" is not necessarily a conundrum. The Menu includes the option to choose larger/smaller charts and so, when it shows, the chart bar is not exactly required, is it?
The "conundrum" is really in the toolbox where you select these.They are selected but don't show, but..... if only one could be selected (the other checkbox auto-clearing itself? or similar when this was done) a user would soon get used to this as an OPTION...

-Likewise, other duplications. For instance, say, if a pushnhold on the chart brings up all actual real-time navigation charting features (make a mark, a route,etc.etc. choose a larger/smaller scale chart, chart groups etc etc) duplicates needn't be in the menu bar ....Menu bar is reserved for Configuration.

or, get rid of the menu bar entirely and just have the Toolbox button, with/instead-of ,the ManOverboard button ...
Old 19-04-2015, 16:59   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

No no no: gentle people - PLS no copying of imagination artefacts from Windows and Linux to mobile devices.

PLS try to keep this AOCPN an Andriod thing. Look how best Android Apps are built, see how their menus look like, see how screens are laid out and how clutter is solved (YES: time out menus are one of valid Android ways).

I will vote for NOT copying solutions from the pre-mobile era.

Android is for mobile, mobile is about small screen, small screens that are tap & timer oriented. Etc.

I agree some OCPN solutions are great. I will not agree that they will work great on mobile devices.

Look forward. Do not drag solutions from earlier platforms.

Love, flowers, etc.
b.
Old 19-04-2015, 18:11   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
No no no: gentle people - PLS no copying of imagination artefacts from Windows and Linux to mobile devices.

PLS try to keep this AOCPN an Andriod thing. Look how best Android Apps are built, see how their menus look like, see how screens are laid out and how clutter is solved (YES: time out menus are one of valid Android ways).

I will vote for NOT copying solutions from the pre-mobile era.

Android is for mobile, mobile is about small screen, small screens that are tap & timer oriented. Etc.

I agree some OCPN solutions are great. I will not agree that they will work great on mobile devices.

Look forward. Do not drag solutions from earlier platforms.

Love, flowers, etc.
b.
Not sure why I elicited this response. All I said is that there are mobile devices running Window and Linux, and some of us have been running them for over a year. Android isn't the only game in town. Mobile device improvements should be made available for all supported OSs. Such an approach would also facilitate continuing with a single common code.
Old 20-04-2015, 08:29   #84
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
Not sure why I elicited this response. All I said is that there are mobile devices running Window and Linux, and some of us have been running them for over a year. Android isn't the only game in town. Mobile device improvements should be made available for all supported OSs. Such an approach would also facilitate continuing with a single common code.
Yep. Must be as you say.

My building experience very limited. What I did was running the user-end side of IT implementation projects. Hence my bias.

Beyond any doubt, work-load-wise, best to build the way that a solution works on many platforms & environments.

Where I am, nobody uses Linux tablets. It is all Android country here. iThings found exotic while Windows only trying to gain ground after their RT disaster. But I think their 8.1 full monthy reincarnation IS valid. I am getting one for the boat when I find what I want at the price I want (not easy, we are in Spain, getting mostly offalls, unless you import privately).

Cheers,
b.
Old 20-04-2015, 10:49   #85

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Regarding some of the external gps discussion about drivers. I did some work on sharing Android Gps via bluetooth with Ocpn on PC. I believe that it should be possible to have a BT gps connected to Ocpn Android.
There are BT apps that help... has anyone tried it yet?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
O-a has been able to find my paired Btgps and even "communicate" with it judging by the Btgps indicator light, but no nmea data shows in O's NMEA Debug window....

added. Trying with OSMAnd(OpenStreetMapsAndroid) the BTgps works although it takes awhile to connect.
Old 20-04-2015, 16:05   #86

One thing people need to remember is android versions and whether your device is rooted or not affects how features, if they are even available, perform. Rooted devices with custom ROMs will have the most features enabled and rarely interfere with access to all files and devices.

I've been using OpenCPN in the linux chroot environment for years and have no complaints with the layout or performance. But then my device is rooted and I'm running a custom 4.4.4 Kit Kat ROM from Cyanogenmod.

I have no complaints about the layout in the android version of OpenCPN either. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it..."
Old 21-04-2015, 03:00   #87
Junior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Noumea, New Caledonia, french island in the south Pacific
Boat: 1983 Via 39, aluminium

Hi Dave, many thanks, I was desperetly looking and waiting for OpenCpn on Android
I have a chinese Pipo M9 pro and I just installed the program and the charts CM93. At the moment, it looks almost ok, I do not have the deph mesurements
I am not too expert in tablets. Did not try yet the GPS
anyway, thanks again to everyone, sorry for my english
Old 21-04-2015, 13:34   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
One thing people need to remember is android versions and whether your device is rooted or not affects how features, if they are even available, perform. Rooted devices with custom ROMs will have the most features enabled and rarely interfere with access to all files and devices.

I've been using OpenCPN in the linux chroot environment for years and have no complaints with the layout or performance. But then my device is rooted and I'm running a custom 4.4.4 Kit Kat ROM from Cyanogenmod.

I have no complaints about the layout in the android version of OpenCPN either. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it..."
I want to add the other fly in the soup concerning OpenCPN on androids is screen resolution.

Most 10" tablets Resolutions up until recently rarely exceed 720 x 1280 pixels. OpenCPN on my Xoom displays very well at this resolution. Newer tablets frequently have higher resolutions of 1080 x 1920 pixels. Users with these tablets running OpenCPN in a Linux chroot environment complain details including menu bars in OpenCPN "are tiny". So, as I see complaints related to the android version of OpenCPN of too small icons and intrusive menu bars I can't help but to wonder if these users own the higher resolution tablets.

It's one thing to be able to address how menu bars display, and quite another to compensate for how other OpenCPN features appear at the same time.

It seems to me development of the android version of OpenCPN would be simpler if at least initially, development is limited to the 720 x 1280 resolution platforms.
Old 21-04-2015, 16:57   #89

Anyone tried Open CPN on an Android Samsung Galaxy TAB S 10.5" running 5.0.2 Lollipop by using KBOX2 PROJECT's Linux utility?

Also, has anyone tried OpenCPN for Android Alpha or any later version on the TAB S running 5.0.2 Lollipop?

Joel U; s/v Alobar
Old 21-04-2015, 17:49   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post

(...)

It seems to me development of the android version of OpenCPN would be simpler if at least initially, development is limited to the 720 x 1280 resolution platforms.
I am not sure this is how it is done in Android. At least not when you build natively.

b.

Tags
enc, opencpn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: