Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 03:41   #1

OpenCPN FishFinder PlugIn

anyone have any ideas on integrating sonar fishfinder in OpenCPN?

PC compatible sonar quite a lot but basically it is a professional surveying equipment.

Of budget options found in CruzPro
PcFF80 PC based high resolution dual frequency color sonar / fishfinder for Windows with both Analog and Digital Signal Processing (DSP)
Retail Price - US $ 892.25 including plastic thru-hull transducer.
Fishfinder - High Resolution Color Fishfinder for PC & Windows

I thought I could integrate sonar window in OpenCPN similar to the Google Earth plugin.

Still, the image of the unit side-scan sonar lowrance StructureScaner HD (LSS-2) Ethernet cable into the laptop with the program drdepth
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:04   #2

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: OpenCPN FishFinder PlugIn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
anyone have any ideas on integrating sonar fishfinder in
Still, the image of the unit side-scan sonar lowrance StructureScaner HD (LSS-2) Ethernet cable into the laptop with the program drdepth
Could you post a raw dump of the serial data?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Could you post a raw dump of the serial data?
if you tell me how to do it, I'll try
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:36   #4

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

save the raw serial stream to a file, normally on windows you can use hyperterminal.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 12:42   #5

1.) I'd like to see a Chart and Plug-in "export / import" function.

2.) I think moving the "all" check box from the right click menu to above the chart window would normalize the presentation of your options for chart operations.

3.) Have a "save configuration" button to save any of the customizations to a USB drive. (similar to the ability to save a conf file on a router)

I'm in a cycle of trying things and finding out what breaks, what I like and find useful. I tend to go in cycles where I have time to work on it or I don't. When I break it, sometimes I can't work my way back to health. When I reinstall the system, what takes the most time is uploading the charts and plug-ins.

Someone here recently advised me about the right click option to "select all" on the charts page. With only check boxes in-front of me, it didn't occur to me that there would be a right click menu. It also strikes me as a non-standard presentation. Usually the "all" option is above the stack of check boxes on the screen... but anyway, that tip saved quite a bit of time, so thanks.

Since I live in one of those unimaginable areas where my cell phone barely works and the internet is intermittent, the uploads are a huge inconvenience, typically taking longer than my rack time if done overnight. I tried copying the Charts directory to a USB drive before reinstalling. What I tried was copying them back over a new installation into a similar Charts directory. It worked after a fashion, but the catalog function doesn't like it. I can't update the copied charts now. Perhaps there is a file to tweak as a workaround that will get the charts properly cataloged.

I haven't yet tried leaving the charts on the USB drive and using them from there. That would free up a huge amount of space on the SD card.

Doing a similar export and load on the plug-ins would save a lot of time for me. I like to install them all and then activate them one at a time when I have time to experiment. I do this because when I am playing with the unit outside, I no longer have access to the internet, so a preload is preferred.

I am also more inclined to press, poke and prod when the penalty is less than a full night's downloading of files. Having the ability to save off some of the configurations and downloaded files would be great. If I am rebuilding the same installation on the same Pi, with the same WiFi dongles, it would save a lot of time if I could just load up a conf file with the screen, dongle, drivers and setup preferences stored.

I read quite a few threads here where SD card failure seems to be common. I think my requests would benefit anyone suffering from an SD card failure if they skipped that step of making an image once their system was fully configured. Rebuilding the OpenPlotter or OpenCPN system isn't too bad if the charts, plugins and configuration files were portable.

What do you think?
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 18:01   #6

Boat: Gemini 3200

Save your charts on an external device. After you reinstall OpenCPN copy the charts from the external device to the chart directory.
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 18:20   #7

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
1.) I'd like to see a Chart and Plug-in "export / import" function.

2.) I think moving the "all" check box from the right click menu to above the chart window

What do you think?
Stonecrab most if not ALL of this is totally "Off topic".

I suggest you make your own thread and post your extemporaneous comments and issues there with the exception of specific points germane to other threads.

I believe you'll get more focused response to your issues that way.

Thank you.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fishfinder, opencpn