Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2016, 19:54   #76

Re: Opencpn Dokuwiki Migration -MOB- Help Needed!!! MOB

Hey guys, I slammed through Supplementary Hardware, and Supplementary Software.

I'm reading pages and pages of you guys chatting about different parts of editing, some of it is really important, and some of it doesn't apply to what I'm looking at. But the only way to find the relevant stuff is to read the entire thread. Time consuming!

I also notice on this forum we can't edit our posts? What's up with that? It would be real helpful if we could contribute to stuff, fine tune instructions, fix typos, etc as we worked together.

So, when I say slammed through, I mean copy/paste. I see that on some pages there are internal links, and IMGs. Seems that that is where 99% of the work comes from. So here is my concern. I seem to remember that tgp-architects.com was not meant to be the final resting place of this wiki. Some IMGs point back to opencpn.org, others are internal. I'm concerned that all the work you guys are doing might get lost during the migration to another server. All links might get broken, all IMGs might get broken. I'd hate to see any of us spend all this time in minutiae only to have it trashed during the final step.

These are some pages that have IMG or links that are broken
opencpn:supplementary_software:chart_conversion_ma nual:libbsb
opencpn:supplementary_software:celestial_navigatio n
opencpn:supplementary_software:chart_work:lines_of _position_gc_sailing

The libbsb page has a link to a file to download from opencpn.org. The link is ugly, but it works. Are those files at opencpn.org/sites/default/files/xxxx going to disappear?

There are also some super unhelpful auto-links that are included. When ever the word "record" appears on the original manual, it's automatically linked to Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Discussions about Record. I can't imagine in what world that would be helpful. But it's also a manual process to separating the wheat from the chaff - is it actually a link, or is it an auto tag thing? blah.

Weather Routing page the PNG links translate over fine, but are still served from opencpn.org. That a problem?

If there are too many additional steps here, I fear this is not the project for me! I'm much more of a slammy sort of editor.

Curious to see what you guys think. So far, I'm thinking this process is not my cup of tea!

drew
mrdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 05:34   #77

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
I slammed through Supplementary Hardware, and Supplementary Software.
-Great,
when I get the pages setup, can you do this part for the Developer Manual? I noticed that you got the Tables to copy over! -Great. We are missing the Autopilot page, but we're going to be going through this page by page anyway. This is a big boost, we've got pages to work with now.

Quote:
..reading pages and pages of you guys chatting about different parts of editing, some of it is really important, and some of it doesn't apply to what I'm looking at. But the only way to find the relevant stuff is to read the entire thread. Time consuming!
- Agreed, we're learning and trying to distill in the
Edit_User_Manual -Located at the bottom of the O-Dokuwiki Opencpn User Manual

Quote:
...this forum we can't edit our posts? What's up with that? It would be real helpful if we could contribute to stuff, fine tune instructions, fix typos, etc as we worked together.
- AGREED!! HOW CAN WE GET THIS CHANGED? The author should be able to easily edit his own posts. I think the problem is the email notifications of changes that go out. Maybe there should just be one message sent?

Quote:
..slammed through, I mean copy/paste. I see that on some pages there are internal links, and IMGs. Seems that that is where 99% of the work comes from. So here is my concern. I seem to remember that tgp-architects.com was not meant to be the final resting place of this wiki. Some IMGs point back to opencpn.org, others are internal. I'm concerned that all the work you guys are doing might get lost during the migration to another server. All links might get broken, all IMGs might get broken. I'd hate to see any of us spend all this time in minutiae only to have it trashed during the final step.
- Yes, we know about these and that is what we are fixing on each page, gradually.

Quote:
These are some pages that have IMG or links that are broken
opencpn:supplementary_software:chart_conversion_ma nual:libbsb
opencpn:supplementary_software:celestial_navigatio n
opencpn:supplementary_software:chart_work:lines_of _position_gc_sailing
- Ok someone else will take care of these later. I wrote you about these and have written about this elsewhere. The image files need to be saved locally to PC (right click --> Save as) and then use the Media Manager in Opencpn - Dokuwiki to bulk upload to the correct directory. Then fix the links to point to those images:

Code:
opencpn:manual
opencpn:software
opencpn:hardware
opencpn:dev
Quote:
The libbsb page has a link to a file to download from opencpn.org. The link is ugly, but it works. Are those files at opencpn.org/sites/default/files/xxxx going to disappear?
- Good point, someone should look at this and respond. -Bdbcat?

Quote:
There are also some super unhelpful auto-links that are included. When ever the word "record" appears on the original manual, it's automatically linked to Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Discussions about Record. I can't imagine in what world that would be helpful. But it's also a manual process to separating the wheat from the chaff - is it actually a link, or is it an auto tag thing? blah.
- Delete them please! Good point.

Quote:
Weather Routing page the PNG links translate over fine, but are still served from opencpn.org. That a problem?
-Yes, it needs to be fixed eventually before going to press. See above.
-Fixing image links is the first task after pages are transferred over.
- Image links always start with {{opencpn:____}}

Quote:
If there are too many additional steps here, I fear this is not the project for me! I'm much more of a slammy sort of editor.
- That's ok! this has been a big help. If you could do Developer Manual when I get the outline and pages done, that would be very helpful. -I'll give you a heads up.
- Also if you want, you could look at the specific task of download and upload of images to O dokuwiki and fixing just the image links, in Dev, Hardware and Software, that would be very heloful too. -Don't worry about the Opencpn_User_Manual images as we have those almost all done, and it is a huge page by page process. If you'd rather not, that's fine. I understand. -Thank you Drew!

Quote:
Curious to see what you guys think. So far, I'm thinking this process is not my cup of tea!
- Yeah, it does become work at a certain point, but when it is finally done there is great satisfaction but if you'd like, take a break!

Thank you Drew!

Hey, guys see what Drew accomplished! Lend a shoulder to the wheel!!
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 08:00   #78

Dokuwiki - File structure = the Navigation TOC

Fabbian,
We have a lot of external links with:
Code:
[[http://opencpn.org/ocpn/*]]
Example in the Owiki Getting Started Page down at "Important next steps":
Code:
http://tgp-architects.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=opencpn:opencpn_user_manual:getting_started
This page source shows the Chart Installation link as:
Code:
[[http://opencpn.org/ocpn/Start_chart-installation|Chart Installation]]
The actual page is located here in the OpenCPN Dokuwiki structure seen when you navigation to the page and copy the url above:
Code:
[[http://tgp-architects.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=opencpn:opencpn_user_manual:getting_started:chart_installation]]
So, it rules regarding the necessary link.

so the internal link needs to be changed to:
Code:
[[opencpn:opencpn_user_manual:getting_started:chart_installation|Chart Installation]]
In Dokuwiki, the file location IS the TOC Index!!
Because Indexmenu uses the file structure to create the TOC!!!
This is very different than the Drupal 6 approach which allows a Book to have a "File locaton & structure" different than what is is the "Outline" or TOC that is presented!

In Dokuwiki, our File Structure must follow the TOC that we want!!

So, the question is, do you want me to do a search and replace on the first portion of the internal links? IE:
Find:
Code:
[[http://opencpn.org/ocpn/]]
Replace:
Code:
[[opencpn:opencpn_user_manual:]]
knowing that some of the links will not work because the file location has changed due to the requirement that file structure follow strictly, the TOC? Meaning we will have to check each link anyway.

Think about it... I could just do one section and see how it works.

Thanks.
Old 13-12-2016, 09:57   #79

Footer code:
Code:
{{:opencpn:log.png?nolink&32x32}}//Go to //[[opencpn:opencpn_user_manual|Table Of Contents]]//
Have not yet found how to define a footer or header. It may require another plugin and I am hesitant to use so many plugins as sometime they are incompatible. I will find out about this.
Old 15-12-2016, 19:16   #80

Volunteers are stepping up - Won't you become an Editor?

There are 3 new pages to help you get started.
  1. Edit User Manual Register and get started.
  2. Summary of Progress Get an new website sooner, join us!
  3. Migration Process How to do it, Step by Step
Users won't you contribute some of your time for a better OpenCPN?
This is a unique community with great cooperation and this is a great way to help
improve your manual.
We would really appreciate it.

Thank you.
Old 19-12-2016, 09:43   #81

Boat: Gemini 3200
Re: Dokuwiki - File structure = the Navigation TOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Fabbian,
We have a lot of external links with:
Code:
So, the question is, do you want me to do a search and replace on the first portion of the internal links?
No. It's important to have the original link in case the page didn't get copied. Without the original link it would be very hard to find the page in the Drupal manual.

It might work to replace

Code:
with

Code:
[[opencpn:opencpn_user_manual:*]]
If the page was copied over the link would appear twice. If not the original link would still work and the broken link would be red. If you feel like it, experiment with a few pages and see how it works. It might help us identify missing pages quicker.

That doesn't work with image links. Dokuwiki just quietly fails to display a broken media link. Without the original page to compare to you just don't see the missing image.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 10:04   #82

Fabbian I think its best to do this manually, checking as you said.
Old 19-12-2016, 11:25   #83

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Fabbian I think its best to do this manually, checking as you said.
That works for me. I search for "http" in the text to be sure I find every link. In Firefox Ctrl-F will find a string. If I have other things where I need a search and replace function I copy the entire text to Notepad, edit it there, then copy and paste it back to DW Edit.

In either case I like to look at each link to determine whether it is in the Drupal manual or is a genuine external link that should be preserved.

Also, a broken link doesn't necessarily mean the Drupal page hasn't been copied. It might also happen because the link in the Dokuwiki page doesn't point to the right page. I found two broken links near the bottom of the TOOLBAR Buttons page One for Display Orientation, the other for GPS Status.

The Display Orientation link was

Code:
opencpn:opencpn_user_manual:toolbar_buttons:display_orientation
but the page was actually in

Code:
opencpn:opencpn_user_manual:display_orientation
The Drupal manual had it in the right place so it was easy to find in the Dokuwiki file structure.

The GPS Status page was a little harder, as it had been moved to be the first page in the Drupal manual. I didn't want to insert the page there in the Dokuwiki manual because it would have involved changing all the index menu strings. I found it had been copied to

Code:
opencpn:opencpn_user_manual:gps_setup_and_status
so I just changed the link to find the existing page.

If I had just assumed it hadn't been copied yet we would have wound up with duplicate pages that eventually would have diverged because of separate editing.

Do we have any automated tool that can search the Dokuwiki file structure for duplicate pages?

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 17:27   #84

Quote:
In either case I like to look at each link to determine whether it is in the Drupal manual or is a genuine external link that should be preserved.

Also, a broken link doesn't necessarily mean the Drupal page hasn't been copied. It might also happen because the link in the Dokuwiki page doesn't point to the right page. I found two broken links near the bottom of the TOOLBAR Buttons page One for Display Orientation, the other for GPS Status.
Yes, looking at both links is a very good idea. The Owiki structure generally follows the Druple6 structure, but someone move Display Orientation out of Toolbar after it was named, so that results in a clean up of the pathname for the page, because we are doing it fresh.

Yes indeed. I generally copy the last half of the URL from the Browser TAB with the Owiki page in order to create the link.
6. Redirect internal links. Check all internal links on each page

Since you use Notepad++, if you also use Firefox Browser, there is an add on "ItsAllText" that allows you to directly load a DW Edit file, edit it, search and replace, and then Save back to DW Edit. See
https://forum.dokuwiki.org/post/54428
and the next two posts. I use it.
Old 19-12-2016, 17:33   #85

I changed the page index for the GPS to be higher in the order, ..someone has also (previously) taken this out of Toolbar in Druple6 (and I don't know why), but having done that, it made sense to have it first in the list after MENU.

Quote:
The GPS Status page was a little harder, as it had been moved to be the first page in the Drupal manual. I didn't want to insert the page there in the Dokuwiki manual because it would have involved changing all the index menu strings. I found it had been copied to
Code:
opencpn:opencpn_user_manual:gps_setup_and_status 
so I just changed the link to find the existing page.
Quote:
If I had just assumed it hadn't been copied yet we would have wound up with duplicate pages that eventually would have diverged because of separate editing.
Old 20-12-2016, 06:34   #86

Note to Editors: Moving Pages location Breaks Links!!

Note to Editors:
Moving a page's location and changing the "pathname" automatically breaks any referencial links in the document. These links are NOT automatically repaired. You must then check every page link in the WHOLE document. The last time I did this it took me 2 days!!

So, the RULE is:
Quote:
Do NOT move pages, unless you are prepared to find each and every link in the ENTIRE document that uses that page's old pathname, and repair it!
Note, As Fabbian noted, someone unknowingly moved several pages out of TOOLBARS in the old Druple6 website without fixing all the referential links. We have duplicated the current locations in Owiki, but have changed the filenames appropriately. Two of these pages are "GPS Setup and Status" and "Display Orientation". So be on the lookout for broken links. Also, do not move pages without checking the entire document for broken links! (a big job).
Old 20-12-2016, 07:08   #87

Boat: Mirage 35

Internal links to files:

I have been editing internal links, but haven't worked out what to do when these point to files for download. Do the files need to be transferred and how, what should the new link look like?

Have run through all of the guidelines I've seen but haven't found this - please point me to it if possible.

Thanks.
Old 20-12-2016, 10:12   #88

Boat: Mirage 35

Never mind - it's done (thanks, Mike ) and I now see how it works.

Tags
enc, mob, opencpn