Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2010, 14:38   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Exclamation OpenCPN.de Announcement - Deutsche (German) Community

Please forgive me opening a new thread for this, but I'd like to announce that OpenCPN.de is online.

Well, even though it does not concern most of you it is still worth to male propaganda for it.

The system behind the scene is very much the same as on OpenCPN.org (see http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/opencpn-org-announcement-34681.html#post381456 for further information).

Thanks to Will (manimaul) for helping me setting up the system (theme).
Of course is everybody welcomed, not only to have a look around but also to register (we are still working on system which grants access to all OpenCPN sites with only one registration) for leaving a comment on the site (you can also write in English - I will add the translation).

The goal is to let the community grow and perhaps find some supporting users.

Nevertheless I hope that the German speaking Community (that uses OCPN) will grow. Feedback from the site will be transfered to here and the SF site by me and hopefully many other helpers (idpnd? ).

Thanks for reading - the rest in German now ...

Hallo,

ich darf heute vermelden, dass die deutschsprachige Community-Website zu OpenCPN (offiziell) online gegangen ist. Zu finden unter http://opencpn.de

Sie soll all denjenigen ein "Zuhause" bieten, die der englischen Sprache nicht in dem Umfang mächtig sind, um sich hier aktiv zu beteiligen.

Neben den Inhalten von OpenCPN.org (wie bspw. verschiedene Handbücher) bietet die Site darüber hinaus auch ein eigenes (kleines) Forum für alle Themen rund um OCPN, elektronische Seekarten u.v.m.!

Lange Rede, kurzer Sinn: Schaut es euch einfach selber an!
Ich freue mich darauf, zumindest einige bekannte Namen dort wiederzutreffen.

Bis dann,

Gunther
Netsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 18:14   #2

Das ist sehr gut

i like what you have done with the theme. Das ist sehr gut! Congratulations and thanks for your work on this.

Will
Old 20-02-2010, 05:56   #3

Boat: vd Stadt 44, Ben the Boat
Is this good?

He Gunther,

Congratulations with your site!

The question I have; is it good to open and maintain different sites for every translation? Isn't is possible to maintain just one site with different languages? I'm willing to translate into Dutch but only if it is possible to move the translation into manimaul's site. It should be possible to create a CMS with different languages. What are the problems and what can I do to help to solve them?

I think there should be one forum (maybe some sections for language/region specific discussions) multiple fora will create only doubble discussions and support threads (I guess)

Bart
champ8242 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 06:38   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimaul View Post
i like what you have done with the theme. Das ist sehr gut! Congratulations and thanks for your work on this.
@Will: Thanks!
I have done already a flexible layout, too. But I am still busy to configure, change and adapt the styles to the several modules. I am also trying to make as little changes as possible for keeping a uniformal appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ8242 View Post
The question I have; is it good to open and maintain different sites for every translation? Isn't is possible to maintain just one site with different languages?
Surely this is possible. But it also has some drawbacks.
One is that it is getting really hard to administer such a site (for me its already hard enough with one language ).

Quote:
I'm willing to translate into Dutch but only if it is possible to move the translation into manimaul's site. It should be possible to create a CMS with different languages. What are the problems and what can I do to help to solve them?
If you are just talking about the "official" manual, then there should be no problem. It is one of the goals to have the manual translated to all supported languages. But I really see no difference in the end, if the translation is aquired on the language-specific site and then transfered to opencpn.org or if it is done directly on the site. And/ or it is also possible to just place links to the different language sites.

For me there are also some more issues:
Due to different situational conditions many of the things that are deeply investigated and discussed here are not of any interest for most of the European sailors. Same thing belongs to links and many other aspects. So imho there is a reason for language/ region specific content besides the basics.

Quote:
I think there should be one forum (maybe some sections for language/region specific discussions) multiple fora will create only doubble discussions and support threads (I guess)
I would agree if OCPN had its own forum. But as long as this forum here is used, there is no opportunity.
The main reason why I have added the forum to the site is to give people who are not able, or not willing to participate on the discussions in English a place for their feedback, questions, suggestions and so on.
And of course will this feedback beeing transfered to here (or elsewhere).

Gunther

Forgot to say: The main purpose (at least for me) is to increase the awareness of OCPN. And the more sites exist the better the chance to get there.
And if users are able to participate in English they will do. All the links to the according sites are given on the site.

Addition 1:
Quote:
That might be well so as soon as there are different languages involved - no matter where the forums are located.
Netsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 12:50   #5

Boat: Amel, Super Maramu, 53', Jonathan
Send a message via Skype™ to cvdhwoe
Hi Gunther,

Congratulations!

I see a strong need for your website and I appreciate the efforts you are going to do.

Viel Glueck und Zuspruch

Claus
(A German sailor cruising the US Westcoast)
cvdhwoe is offline   Reply With Quote