Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Ptulp, Thank you!

O Beta File Thingie 2.5.7 rguser, rgpass

Look in 4.8.0 Win PI directory for
Logbookkonni_pi-1.2027-win32.exe

Check your file with virustotal.com
No engines detected this file
SHA-256f1440b403f262565da16122c4c67d51d201957da0e9fc26 3f6ecc0f03133a66cFile name: logbookkonni_pi-1.2027-win32.exe
File size: 1.97 MB
Last analysis: 2017-09-15 23:58:57 UTC

I am trying to find where I start the nmea file, or do I just use VDRplayer or VDR? <-- I guess yes, since O and plugins all share the same messages generally.

The next question is I need a nmea file with:
WIMDA - to see if it crashes
xxMDA - to see if they work.
xxXDR messages with temperature, pressure and humidity if available.

Maybe tracker has a file under Logbook...

Hope others willl try this...
Perhaps Logbook could be expanded for Units and Own Ship - Boat Data such that it can share that with O and the other plugiins? Perhaps even allowing other plugins to change the values?

https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...edit&sort=desc

I think Logbook might be ideal, because I don't see this being handled or stored by the main program... I don't believe there is any intention to do so.
Fantastic!! Looks good, tried it with the VDR & file here with WIMDA sentences
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2476582

The Raspberry Pi is compiling at the moment so can't get to node red to convert that file into other sentences but looks great so far, thanks so much guys !!
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 17:53   #17

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Opencpn crashes when receiving WIMDA nmea sentence,

Ran VDR Player, Opened Nmea Debug Window with Logbook up, got a new Logbook and went to Meteo and the data shows there with no crash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Test-WIMDA+OCMDA.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	156143  
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 18:00   #18

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Gerhard, can you explain how this happens in a little more detail so perhaps we all can understand?

What Gerhard says is technically correct (except the part about "bad developers").

Plugins often need the exact same libraries that OpenCPN needs. But those function calls are not available via opencpn.lib. Also, opencpn and plugins do not use shared libraries for a lot of things. They do share things like wxWidgets but special functions like NMEA parsing are not made into shareable libraries (dlls for Windows). So the exact same source code exists in plugins source trees and OpenCPN itself. As time marches on bugs are fixed in the source files used by OpenCPN but maybe not in some old plugins.

This isn't a design defect in OpenCPN. It is a matter of time and coordination to agree which functions should be moved into shared libraries or should be provided by opencpn.lib. Such a strategy might decrease the rate at which new features make it into O because each function change would have to be tested in every plugin that used it. It would make regression testing a lot more onerous in my opinion.

However, these new bugs would still exist. They would just be found more quickly through rigorous regression testing. The same result can be had by testing and maintaining plugins on a more regular basis.

In any open source development it's all about the number of contributors and the time the project leaders have to devote to product management. Since the developers are also cruisers I think we all (well most of us) can understand that there is a trade off between time spent managing the product and time spent cruising. I don't think anyone should feel that equation is somehow inequitable. The developers have created an immensely popular package used in almost every country in the world. And there are many thousands of happy users. Plus there are very few if any debilitating bugs. So taken as a whole this project has produced a popular product that many many people find useful. Ask yourself what other navigation tool runs on windows, MaC, raspberry pi, Android and nearly every other flavor of Linux? That's pretty incredible in my opinion.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 00:26   #19

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Ask yourself what other navigation tool runs on windows, MaC, raspberry pi, Android and nearly every other flavor of Linux? That's pretty incredible in my opinion.
That is exactly another point to understand why OCPN is so unstable and difficult to maintain. Nobody has all possible operating systems at hand when making changings to the code, nobody can test all of it. The "#ifdef" macros doesn't help in any case.
My own private OCPN version is only compiled for "macOS High Sierra" and works only for this OS.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 03:58   #20

Boat: Valiant 42

I don't agree that OpenCPN is "so unstable". If O only ran on MacOS there would be no demand for it I think. The number of cruisers running MacOS must be about 0.2% of all cruisers.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 04:28   #21
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I don't agree that OpenCPN is "so unstable". If O only ran on MacOS there would be no demand for it I think. The number of cruisers running MacOS must be about 0.2% of all cruisers.
Very stable IMHO, Windows, android, even on a low powered raspberry pi. Wonderful piece of software
Just one poster on one forum seems to have some bitterness towards the creators of a program which must be on nearly every cruising boat.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 07:16   #22

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
My own private OCPN version is only compiled for "macOS High Sierra" and works only for this OS.
Gerhard...
I wonder if this (This is what happens immediately when someone starts your "much better" OpenCPN on a fully updated Mac computer) is the improvements you keep giving us lessons about?

BTW, does it still prepare the "surprises" for the user who is ignorant enough to be outside of the quadrant north from the Equator and east of Greenwich it did the last time I was adventurous enough to look at your "improved" code?

Thank you

Pavel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 11.08.15.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	392.3 KB
ID:	156165  
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 09:04   #23

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I think we should integrate nmea parsing in a way that plugins do not need to know about nmea data directly.

They could instead make subscriptions to watch various signalk values, and opencpn can convert the nmea to signalk if needed, or just forward the signalk data to the plugin.

This would eliminate the nmea dependency, reduce cpu use parsing the same message in multiple plugins, and offer a wider range of senor data for plugins to use.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 01:07   #24

No stability problems here either. Been running OpenCpn on Windows and Pi for several years now. Well done to all the developers on producing such a stable product at a spectacularly reasonable cost!! Many thanks to you all.
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 06:35   #25

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Sean you found a good possible use for SignalK. Thus answering your own question, what good is signalk for?

When I look at signalk I see an honest attempt to identify everything, and possibly some redundancies and conflicts, but it seems to be a useful tool. I think Pavel had started some work on it.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:18   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
offer a wider range of senor data for plugins to use.
...including NMEA2000 data: use existing open source solution for NMEA2000 => Signal K conversion.

https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...s&task_id=1195
teppokurki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, nmea, opencpn