Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2011, 00:47   #1
Marine Service Provider
 
nixontankgirl's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western Pacific
Boat: 37ft Joubert. Made by Meta.
Posts: 137
OpenCPN CM93+ Downloaded .tiff Charts

I have been using openCPN with CM93 charts for a while. It is just awesome, however on passages there are gaps in my charts. I presume this is one of the limitations of CM93 charts. So I downloaded some passage charts from (NZ202 Chart Catalogue | Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) - Toit) and installed them in a folder called very originally, 'Charts'. I then went into the tools>charts and added the folder 'Charts' into the active charts directory in addition to the CM93 file.
But I 'cant see' the downloaded charts.
I deleted CM93 from the directory but still cant 'see' the passage charts.
I opened the charts in a photo viewer and can see them, the file is there, but I cant, and also dont know, how to 'see it' in open CPN. I have ticked the box showing chart outlines and they do not show, zooming in or our hasnt helped, and I dont know what else to try.......
Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks.
__________________

__________________
nixontankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 03:13   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
sailorF54's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perros-Guirec, France
Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Posts: 829
Re: Open CPN CM93+ downloaded .tiff charts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixontankgirl View Post
I have been using openCPN with CM93 charts for a while. It is just awesome, however on passages there are gaps in my charts. I presume this is one of the limitations of CM93 charts. So I downloaded some passage charts from (NZ202 Chart Catalogue | Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) - Toit) and installed them in a folder called very originally, 'Charts'. I then went into the tools>charts and added the folder 'Charts' into the active charts directory in addition to the CM93 file.
But I 'cant see' the downloaded charts.
I deleted CM93 from the directory but still cant 'see' the passage charts.
I opened the charts in a photo viewer and can see them, the file is there, but I cant, and also dont know, how to 'see it' in open CPN. I have ticked the box showing chart outlines and they do not show, zooming in or our hasnt helped, and I dont know what else to try.......
Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks.
You cannot visualize .tiff images in OpenCpn as they are not geo-referenced (no information on which area of the world an image covers)
Fortunately, GPS-Marco has done the job for us...
Download the charts derived from these images from
MCE66 - Software

Direct link to the chart zipped folder is
http://depositfiles.com/files/k453cpluo

You may also look at the thread
New Zealand Charts
on CF

Thanks Marco...
__________________

__________________
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 12:58   #3
Marine Service Provider
 
nixontankgirl's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western Pacific
Boat: 37ft Joubert. Made by Meta.
Posts: 137
Re: OpenCPN CM93+ Downloaded .tiff Charts

Oh! I am reasonably computer literate, ie I can spell 'computer'.
I understood the whole point of having the digital version of charts to download was so that I could open them on CPN.
What you are saying, of course, makes perfect sense now I think about it.
I had a look at the links you sent but it is beginning to look far to complicated and I may just have to keep my paper passage charts. Since you took the time to reply I will try a bit harder but it is looking as though it will have to go in the 'too hard basket'.
Thank you anyway.
__________________
nixontankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 14:25   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
sailorF54's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perros-Guirec, France
Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Posts: 829
Re: OpenCPN CM93+ Downloaded .tiff Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixontankgirl View Post
Oh! I am reasonably computer literate, ie I can spell 'computer'.
I understood the whole point of having the digital version of charts to download was so that I could open them on CPN.
What you are saying, of course, makes perfect sense now I think about it.
I had a look at the links you sent but it is beginning to look far to complicated and I may just have to keep my paper passage charts. Since you took the time to reply I will try a bit harder but it is looking as though it will have to go in the 'too hard basket'.
Thank you anyway.
Come on, download this zipped folder here
Deposit Files
Hit 'Free downloading' wait 60 seconds, hit 'download'
Create a new folder anywhere, unzip it into that folder (ask almost any friend if that's a problem), and point OpenCpn to it, the way you did for CM93.
Worth the effort, IMHA
__________________
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 15:25   #5
Marine Service Provider
 
nixontankgirl's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western Pacific
Boat: 37ft Joubert. Made by Meta.
Posts: 137
Re: OpenCPN CM93+ Downloaded .tiff Charts

OK....so I did as you suggested. Downloaded the file but there is no option to unzip it. Right clicking on it, or in the menu bar at the top of the window there is no option to unzip it, during the download there was also no option to unzip it into a folder. When I try to open it I get a windows message saying 'windows can not open this file, to open this file windows needs to know what program, etc etc......
I was feeling hopeful there for a while ;=)
__________________
nixontankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 15:43   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
sailorF54's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perros-Guirec, France
Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Posts: 829
Re: OpenCPN CM93+ Downloaded .tiff Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixontankgirl View Post
OK....so I did as you suggested. Downloaded the file but there is no option to unzip it. Right clicking on it, or in the menu bar at the top of the window there is no option to unzip it, during the download there was also no option to unzip it into a folder. When I try to open it I get a windows message saying 'windows can not open this file, to open this file windows needs to know what program, etc etc......
I was feeling hopeful there for a while ;=)
Almost there...
To unzip, you need a (free) program like 7-zip
at 7-Zip
click on 'download' on line
Download .exe 32-bit x86 1 MB
This will get you an .exe file, double clicking on it will install it.
Then open it, navigate to the zipped folder and hit the 'extract' button...
__________________
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 16:29   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Auckland NZ
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37
Posts: 32
Re: OpenCPN CM93+ Downloaded .tiff Charts

Hey Sailor.. keep up the good work.

Marko's New Zealand charts are well worth the small effort to in get them into Open CPN.
__________________
MechMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 16:42   #8
Marine Service Provider
 
nixontankgirl's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western Pacific
Boat: 37ft Joubert. Made by Meta.
Posts: 137
Re: OpenCPN CM93+ Downloaded .tiff Charts

Wow. Its done! Thank you very much for taking the time to help me with this. So, I have the CM93 charts that I look at with the + - buttons and then to look at the NZ charts I click on the GPX icons? The charts from NZ are outlined in red? And to toggle between the 2 is, I presume, straight forward. I have just had a little play around with it and I think I have it sorted.
Once again, I really appreciate your help. Thank you.
__________________
nixontankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 18:03   #9
Marine Service Provider
 
nixontankgirl's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western Pacific
Boat: 37ft Joubert. Made by Meta.
Posts: 137
Re: OpenCPN CM93+ Downloaded .tiff Charts

And also a big Thanks to Marco.
__________________
nixontankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 10:46   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Rome
Posts: 320
Re: OpenCPN CM93+ Downloaded .tiff Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixontankgirl View Post
And also a big Thanks to Marco.
You're welcome. And I'd add big thanks to all the forum people that supported the development of the map calibration process.

Ciao, Marco.
__________________
GPS-Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 12:16   #11
Marine Service Provider
 
nixontankgirl's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western Pacific
Boat: 37ft Joubert. Made by Meta.
Posts: 137
Re: OpenCPN CM93+ Downloaded .tiff Charts

Thanks to everyone, the openCPN team, Marco and the forum people! I am very grateful to everyone!
__________________

__________________
nixontankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
charts, opencpn

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OpenCPN Version 2.5 Release bdbcat OpenCPN 86 02-09-2011 19:14
Route Properties, Missing Functions James Baines OpenCPN 13 13-07-2011 05:31
Scanning Paper Charts for Use with OpenCPN djambalawa OpenCPN 12 11-07-2011 08:53



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:07.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.