Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 02:11   #16

Boat: Dufour 35
Case problem in CM93

hackoon and others....
This is obviously a problem that has not been dealt with.
Spontaneously my reaction was "what case problem" with CM93. But going back I can see that this was reported October 23 2009. It probably never came up on Dave:s radar at all. I have two versions of CM93 and did not have a problem with either, but obviously versions of CM93 exists in the wild with this problem. Please enter this as a bug, if not already done. I'm sure Dave will fix this in no time, once he is aware of the problem, as he did with .kap vs .KAP the first time it was encountered.

It is great to see a lot of talented new users and members of this forum, but please understand that for a long time Dave was basically alone, working on OpenCPN. This project seems to rapidly expand its user base as well as attracting developers. Right now the structure of the project needs changing from a one man show to a team work, I'm sure it will, but right now we are on Island Time in this respect.

Dave has recently accepted Mark/Psyches as a co-developer. Mark has done some valuable contributions already. Dave and Mark are, for now, the only ones that can change the CVS code at SF. Dave is away for a cruise in the Bahamas, away from wifi, most of the time, and Mark has a full time job to handle, and is from time to time unable to monitor and respond to the forum.
So please don't despair if your suggestion isn't instantly handled or responded to.

Last year Dave hacked the code for CM93 support in the Bahamas, and now he is hacking on quilting.....

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:25   #17

I don't think it is necessarily about different versions of CM93 data, although I'd bet that they exist. With the same data, the vfat mount option shortname=[lower|win95|winnt|mixed] on linux will produce different cases for different people or different machines. Those options also suggest that for different versions of Windows you will also see different cases for the same data, so it's not just a linux thing either. the standard low level MS C lib functions will likely be case insensitive when appropriate though.

no rush from this end; and for what it's worth I didn't hear any suggestion of that from elsewhere either..

regards,
Hamish
HamishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:18   #18

Boat: Tartan 30 - Bluegrass
Send a message via Yahoo to Psyches Send a message via Skype™ to Psyches
hackoon, cagney, hamishb, thanks for all the info. I have a fix in place, should be able to post it by end of the weekend or shortly after.

I don't have a cm93 test structure setup (have cm93, just no time yet); if someone would volunteer to help test, I may be able to expedite fix check-in; otherwise, I'll get to it when I can.

hackoon, I used some of your patches verbatim; some were basic bugs, others showed a bigger problem area in the code, likely caused by a design merge a few months ago, and some code that needed to be tweaked further. For example, S57 charts can also have issues.

To find the cm93 chart dictionary, I'm trying out wxDir::Traverse rather than guessing on case and doing multiple recursive searches as the code does now. But I'm not very educated re: the guaranteed cm93 structure - if it's known that the dict is always at the top of the dir hierarchy, I can improve the search state machine to avoid recursing below, and improve performance.

Mark
Psyches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:45   #19

the dict is always (as I know) at the top. My patch works nicely in linux, but it isn't the most elegant way for sure. If you have you patch ready I'm happy to test it. I will try my patch on the CVS version as fast I can.
hackoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:49   #20

Boat: Dufour 35
Hamish, point taken.

Psyches/Mark.
There is no guarantee for the location of the cm93 chart dictionary. I think that one point in Dave's code is, to not make any assumptions in this case. This has been in response to 'bug' reports, and difficulties from some users.

Check this post by Dave http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post306241
and prior posts by "Tia Bu" who raised the subject, for a back ground to the present code.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:28   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishB View Post
I think the GSocket thing doesn't affect Debian the way it does Ubuntu.
It does with the recent version of wxWidgets 2.8. I also tried to build with wxWidgets 2.6, but found some header files were missing and decided that it is better to go with 2.8.

Quote:
I'm a member of the DebianGIS team and can put the debian/ folder into our SVN repo at Alioth. Even better would be for us to recruit you then you can take the lead on maintaining it . Please join the DebianGIS mailing list.
Sure. Are you a DD? Obviously I will be looking for a mentor. I'll publish somewhere the package and it's sources as soon as I finish this (just need to revise what may changed this last time I created "debian" folder and found build broken).

lintian is run by debuild that I use and we should be safe here ;-)

Quote:
what version of debian do you use?
I am primary on "testing", but also have sid in virtual box for checking against the recent versions.
antonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:22   #22

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
What about the ubuntu package? Will this be 'stolen' into the ubuntu repos automatically?
Old 07-02-2010, 07:38   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
What about the ubuntu package? Will this be 'stolen' into the ubuntu repos automatically?
Yeah, generally this should be the case. They have freeze on Feb 10, during it somebody will need to mail them and ask to sync. Anyway it should not be hard:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/NewPackages
Old 07-02-2010, 07:57   #24

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Feb 11 it says, I filed the packaging request here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/392477, I will notify to sync if you like.. But it may take you longer to get into debian repos?
Old 07-02-2010, 09:26   #25

Quote:
But it may take you longer to get into debian repos?
Since I am not a Debian developer I will have to ask somebody to upload the package into the repository (a mentor).

As soon as mentor submits the package, it will be in Debian unstable. If no critical bug reported for it withing 10 days it automatically goes into testing. And then it will release along with other packages when Debian is going to release (typical answer for the date here is that Debian releases when it ready).

I already has packaging working on my box. I did a couple of Makefile fixes. Now just want to make the package lintian warning clean before publishing. I think I'll post the package today even if some lintian warnings remain, since warnings are not that critical and we will go faster.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:44   #26

Hooray! First Debian package is ready for testing, I published it in my repository. If you want to test it, add

Quote:
deb http://debian.martchukov.com/apt sid main contrib non-free
deb-src http://debian.martchukov.com/apt sid main contrib non-free
to your /etc/apt/sources.conf, than you can use

Quote:
aptitude update
aptitude install opencpn
to install OpenCPN, if you need to check the sources use

Quote:
apt-get source opencpn
as usual.

Now I am going to find someone who will upload it to Debian repository. There are also a couple of small fixes to Makefile and desktop file that I made and are better go upstream, I'll submit them later through SourceForge bugs/patches.
Old 07-02-2010, 14:30   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonm View Post
It does with the recent version of wxWidgets 2.8.
Looking at http://packages.debian.org/changelog...11-1/changelog

Audacity .deb applied their GSocket patch at 1.3.9-3 Sept 2009, then removed it again at 1.3.10-1 Dec 2009 as "Drop patches, which are accepted or applied upstream". But I guess that "upstream" means in the Audacity source code not Wx or Glib.

anyway it is fixed in the wx2.8 branch 8 months ago, so I would expect it to be showing up in modern packages:
Changeset 61009 – wxWidgets

But wx2.8.10 was released 11 months ago and wx2.9 5 months ago. So I guess there will be no more official 2.8 releases and we will have to wait for wx2.9 or ask to have the patch applied to wx2.8 in the wx debian package manually.

Quote:
Sure. Are you a DD? Obviously I will be looking for a mentor.
Nope, but you can find one on the DebianGIS mailing list.

Quote:
I'll publish somewhere the package and it's sources as soon as I finish this (just need to revise what may changed this last time I created "debian" folder and found build broken).
With your permission I'd like to create a new opencpn section on the DebianGIS svn repo for your debian/ folder, and arrange for you to get commit access to it.

regards,
Hamish
Old 07-02-2010, 14:32   #28

Quote:
Even better would be for us to recruit you then you can take the lead on maintaining it . Please join the DebianGIS mailing list.
Besides my repository I have uploaded to mentors for now:

mentors.debian.net

What will be my steps to get access to Alioth tree? I am on the DebianGIS lists.
Old 07-02-2010, 14:38   #29

Quote:
But it may take you longer to get into debian repos?
Debian takes longer because it requires to pass a higher threshold of peer review. Once a package is in Debian and builds cleanly for ia32 and amd64 AFAIU it flows into Ubuntu more or less automatically.

Getting something into Ubuntu or UbuntuGIS's ppa.lauchpad repo is much easier/faster, there (for the most part) the threshold is simply that it works.

(gross generalizations..)

regards,
Hamish
Old 07-02-2010, 14:41   #30

Quote:
But I guess that "upstream" means in the Audacity source code not Wx or Glib.
Yes, it was patched in audacity itself. I also thought that those patch in wxWidgets were enough and even created bug against it. But looks like sometime the application itself needs changes and since OpenCPN accepted the patch, we will not need it in the next release. It stays in quilt for now since I packages the latest released OpenCPN that does not have this change yet.

Quote:
With your permission I'd like to create a new opencpn section on the DebianGIS svn repo for your debian/ folder, and arrange for you to get commit access to it.
Sure. When it's arranged, let me know how I can commit there. If you'd like I can add you to co-mantainers, but it depends on if you have time available for it ;-)

And the Baltic sea is frozen in my area till May, so it's highly appreciated if somebody can test the package in real life and let me know if it's working (probably should) and if any additional steps needs to be done to make it suitable. Ideally one just need to aptitude install to have working chartplotter. In real life we do not have open maps yet, but anyway.