Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2017, 03:07   #16

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 4.6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Dave, I just downloaded 4.6.2 and tide & curr popups are ok on my win10 machine, but they are not working on Chuck's. See https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...s&task_id=2214 I am going to ask Chuck to reinstall his mouse drivers
Ask him to disable all plugins that do not come with the default O installation. He has some plugins running that I don't know about. After disabling the plugins then close and restart OpenCPN.

Also, a log file might reveal something. Can we get one from his machine.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 03:14   #17

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Good points
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 03:15   #18

There is another odd thing in his screen shot. The current symbols show the current value in a really odd font. I wonder if there is some issue with graphics or fonts on his machine. I don't think this has anything to do with the mouse.
Old 27-07-2017, 03:28   #19

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch
Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 4.6.2 Waypoint symbols

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
I don't see this one.

About colors: this will depend on the usage. Does not hurt neither to have them.

I asked for the depths as I'm using them to experiment with ad-hoc soundings.
Colors do give me then indications about ranges for example Red< 1.5m

Perhaps we should distinguish between application like travel guides for regions where you use the icons to depict or correct information. Charting.

Others will go for temporary information or ad-hoc information with a limited time of applicability.

Obviously there is room for user defined icons still, but on the other hand a good collection of OpenCPN standard icons helps, especially if you want to exchange information between users.

Reasoning about "temporary information" see above. The others who supplied icons might add their reasons here.

Hubert
I'm thinking that we are in a situation of trying to please everyone in the user community.

All of these waypoint symbols that are for individual use (such as the depths and colors that Hubert describes) should be put in 'Usericons' and not proliferate the set of waypoints that are applicable to the needs of active cruisers. When you drop a mark and want to identify it for fellow cruisers it is very troublesome and frustrating to search through a host of symbols that have little to do with giving useful information to a fellow cruiser.

Perhaps a poll on which to use might solve the issue?

It would be good to settle on this before release of 4.6.2

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 03:31   #20

Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 4.6.2 cm93 Offsets

Noticed but not reported in 4.6.1 and still the case in 4.6.2 is a problem with entering cm93 offsets. The program will hang while trying to enter offsets.

Perhaps other can try it and comment.

Thanks,

Terry
Old 27-07-2017, 03:35   #21

Boat: Simonis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
new icons for WP marks good! But why so many and so many colors under the colors of the rainbow !?
Colored duplicates are superfluous
Some people visually prefer other colours to make it easier to see.
Fishermen mark their fishing grounds with hundreds of markers and want these markers in different shapes and colours.
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 03:41   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
Some people visually prefer other colours to make it easier to see.
Fishermen mark their fishing grounds with hundreds of markers and want these markers in different shapes and colours.
And, as such, should be classified as Usericons and not garbage up the set of standard/default ones.

Drop a mark and try to find a suitable waypoint icon. Even more troublesome on a touchscreen.

Terry
Old 27-07-2017, 04:22   #23

Boat: Simonis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtvalhalla View Post

Drop a mark and try to find a suitable waypoint icon. Even more troublesome on a touchscreen.

Terry
Did that thousands of times during the past 2 weeks whilst creating the icons - on PC, laptop and touchscreen tablet. It is no problem for me. But each one of us will most likely always have different preferences.
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 04:37   #24

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37
Thumbs up Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 4.6.2

Speaking for myself, I have no problem with the large number of icons. In fact, the more the better when it comes to sharing GPX files with others! However, I do agree that we need a method to allow each user to make a more manageable list. I'll probably never use more than 10% of these icons, but I like knowing that if I use an icon, and I transfer that GPX file to another user, that they will already have that same icon available on their machine.

Proposed solution that should make everyone happy: Keep all the icons and add 100 more if you like. But we should allow each user the ability to customize the list so his favorite icons appear first in this list. I propose a very simple system where we can have a star at the end of each Icon description. Click it to make the Icon a favorite and it turns gold. The next time you pull up the list for icons, the ones you have starred will appear at the top of the list. Click again and it reverts back to a normal icons. The remaining icons will appear further down the list if you ever need a new one. This would satisfy cruisers, racers, fisherman and any other group.

Temporary Conditions Icons - People will use waypoints for purposes other than bringing a chart up to date. In the case of Dredging, I currently had a need to mark an area where dredging is taking place and the dredging will continue for several years into the future. An Icon for that to identify dredging is appropriate. I might want to email a fellow cruiser the location of a dredging operation. Using the proper icon makes it that much easier to see and understand.

Weather Icons - On at least 5 different occasions I have built routes to track the position and forecast of tropical storm systems. Every time I've done this, I wished I had the icon for a hurricane or tropical storm. I would like to see the symbols added to indicate the forecasted position of a cyclone or tropical storm, perhaps the same symbols, only in black and white. I would probably never use any other weather symbols, but others may want to use them and I'm all for adding them.

UserIcons - I still believe there is a good use for the Usericons. Of course you can still use it to make and use your own personal icons if you choose, but I think it's greater purpose would be to override what you see on your system for a particular icon. If you find you don't like the Anchorage icon and you'd rather see a great big Pink Anchor you can copy the Icon to the UserIcon folder and give it the same name as the standard Anchorage Icon. When the Anchorage Icon is displayed on your system you'll see a big pink anchor. If you transfer that waypoint to another user, they will see the standard icon. This would allow each individual to customize what they see on the screen, yet preserve the same icon name so it can be shared with others.

I also agree with the suggestion that Icons from the UserIcons folder have a prefix of Usericon, to distinguish them from the standard icons.

Additional Icons - There have been some great suggestions for new icons. Those which are of particular interest to racers and fisherman should all be created and added. AS much as this community has in common, we are also a very diverse group whose boating interests and needs vary. We should try our best to accommodate everyone.

Keep the icon suggestions coming!!! The more the better!!!

This is going to be a very nice improvement to OpenCPN!
reflectionsv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 05:27   #25

When y'all settle on waypoint icons and the release version of 4.6.2 I will get back interested in the updated program.

Meanwhile boat work will take up my time.

Good luck.

Terry
Old 27-07-2017, 06:07   #26

Quote:
Noticed but not reported in 4.6.1 and still the case in 4.6.2 is a problem with entering cm93 offsets. The program will hang while trying to enter offsets.

Thanks,

Terry
Terry,

Can you tell us more about the exact procedure to cause the hang?
Old 27-07-2017, 07:37   #27

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...cm93_offsets&s[]=cm93&s[]=offset

I have never needed to do this, and I wonder what Terry uses it for, but perhaps charts and kap files need better adjustment and I never notice the problem, but he does.

Since it is a feature, it should work.

By the way, about icons... I was asked for input, so I did think about it a little, ..but I am not wedded to these suggestions, and what you guys figure out is fine with me.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 07:41   #28
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

The geo-referencing of CM93 cells is quite often wrong (cell displaced) and this option will correct this in order to present the cell in the right place.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 09:48   #29
Marine Service Provider

Hello...

Thanks for all the good discussion on new MarkIcons. I hear all the points, I think.

As a potential improvement to the usability questions, I propose to implement the following:

1. Change the sort order of the Mark->Properties icon list such that the existing legacy (4.6.1) icons appear at the top of the list. These are the icons we all know and love from legacy OCPN, and include the defaults (triangle, diamond, etc) that are used for initial mark and waypoint creation. The new extended selection of MarkIcons will still appear, after the legacy group. And then the UserIcons (if any) will appear after that group

2. Allow one to manually delete icons from the list by removing the .svg file from the relevant directory after installation of OCPN. This does not quite work right now, but I will fix it so that it does. A user may then remove any icons they don't want hanging around, or move them to the UserIcons folder if they like.

After having looked at a lot of imported GPX files where the new icons always come in as boring circles, I think having a rich set of built-in icons that can be used for effective sharing of GPX files is a good thing.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 10:08   #30

Quote:

Thanks,

Terry
Terry,

I have submitted a PR to fix this. O is not really hung. It just shows busy mouse pointer all the time.

Dan

Tags
enc, opencpn