Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-12-2014, 14:42   #91

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 3.3.2424 Released

Hello Dave,

Mode with north up initially:
If I run chart with "]" (or "[") and then I click on the direction indicator, this one turns red and the mode go to "Course up". This is normal.
But, then, if I try to rotate the chart with "]" (or "["), the rotation does not occur. This does not seem normal to me.

And then, if I click one another on direction indicator, it turn blu, this is normal but then, the shortcuts [ and ] do not work.

Similarly if I start with "Course up".

B.R. Gilletarom.

Old 28-12-2014, 15:22   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Gille, Bdcat re
Options > Display > Navigation Mode - Make rotated chart explicit to user
FS#1639 : Options Display General - Navigation Mode - Make Rotated Chart Explicit
I have an alternate suggestion.

I understand your concern that Options-Display says "North Up" even when the chart is manually rotated to something other than north up. But I also happen to believe that the GPS/North indicator gives a sufficient indicator of the chart rotation by turning blue and the arrow pointing to north. We mainly need to eliminate the contradiction.

So instead of adding a new feature, how about changing the dialog wording to "Manual Chart Rotation" instead of "Course Up"? And, to make the distinction even more clear, change the other option to "Automatic Course Up" instead of just "Course Up". IMO this would make the dialog accurately describe exactly what the program is doing.

It seems that this would eliminate any confusion without having to change the current feature set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Mode with north up initially:
If I run chart with "]" (or "[") and then I click on the direction indicator, this one turns red and the mode go to "Course up". This is normal.
But, then, if I try to rotate the chart with "]" (or "["), the rotation does not occur. This does not seem normal to me.

And then, if I click one another on direction indicator, it turn blu, this is normal but then, the shortcuts [ and ] do not work.

Similarly if I start with "Course up".
I believe that this is a focus issue. On my Windows7 setup, it looks like the direction indicator acts like its own little window, and clicking on it takes focus away from the main OpenCPN window (as indicated by the window border becoming transparent). With the loss of focus, [ and ] are inactive. If you click in the main window or toolbar, focus is restored on the main OpenCPN window, and [ ] become operative again.

Try it again and see if you see the same thing.

Maybe this is a bug that Dave needs to fix, but it may also be something that the user can adjust to.

Old 28-12-2014, 15:58   #93

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello RhytmDoctor and Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
I have an alternate suggestion.
I believe that this is a focus issue.

Try it again and see if you see the same thing.

Indeed, it may simply be a focus problem.
Old 28-12-2014, 16:21   #94

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Perhaps there is something that can be done now to improve, even with change to red for this release, but in the long term I think something like a round Rotation Arrow Icon, along with a separate feature selection under Options > Display > General > Nav Mode
"North up"
"Course up"
"Rotated" <--- buttons black when in that mode
should be added in the future, so that the rotated condition is made explicit to the user both with the upper left screen icon and under Options.

The Feature Request is for sometime after the release. You may post your thought through comments on Tracker.

It appears you have now determined that you are unhappy with a focus issue. Please be more specific as I certainly don't understand what the problem is. I have no focus problem on Win7.
Old 28-12-2014, 16:44   #95

Well, actually, the Icon should not change to red unless the chart is rotated should it?
I can change the North Icon to red by just clicking on it!
I thought it was supposed to changed to Red when the chart was Rotated.
I wonder why we couldn't just make a circular double ended arrow Icon which indicates that the chart is rotated? --instead of something that just creates an ambivalent red north arrow? --Can someone make this "Rotated double Arrow Icon" for bdcat?

Also when I flood the program with too many [ or ] the program seems to bomb out. Have sent one report. Don't know what causes it other than putting in too many [ or ]. This is very repeatable crash. Is there some limit to how far the chart can be rotated, say no more than 90 degrees?

Additionally there seems to be some horizontal lines that appear as chart is rotated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rotate-Shortcuts-See-Angled.png
Views:	49
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	94447  
Old 28-12-2014, 16:45   #96

My above post has a serious typo that CF will not allow me to edit.

Here is the corrected version - change is highlighted in red:

Quote:
So instead of adding a new feature, how about changing the dialog wording to "Manual Chart Rotation" instead of "North Up"? And, to make the distinction even more clear, change the other option to "Automatic Course Up" instead of just "Course Up". IMO this would make the dialog accurately describe exactly what the program is doing.
Old 28-12-2014, 16:47   #97
Marine Service Provider

Hello all...

Please understand the following from the OCPN history book...

1. The []\ rotation is a very recent feature. There is no credible real-world experience with it. It has no possible use at a desktop doing planning. Will users ( I mean not experienced, critical Beta testers in the dead of winter) actually use it underway? Who knows? I don't plan to...

2. If we did not have menus, like OCPN was designed originally, we would not really be having this discussion, would we?

3. For 10 cents, I'd remove the thing entirely. It starts to be the kind of bloat that we designed OCPN in order to avoid. Hard to document, bound to generate a lot of tech support activity, and not really useful anyway.

So the Feature request voting process would tell us something over time. Maybe it never happens, or happens as part of a larger "OCPN Unleashed" PlugIn suite....

That my two cents

Dave
Old 28-12-2014, 16:50   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Well, actually, the Icon should not change to red unless the chart is rotated should it?
I can change the North Icon to red by just clicking on it!
Red means automatic course up (my suggested wording). In your case, clicking the icon turned it red because you put O into course up mode. If the red arrow is pointing straight up it's because you do not have GPS connected, or your boat is standing still or going COG due north.

Blue means manual chart rotation (my suggested wording). It could be north up, maybe not. You can easily tell this by what direction the blue arrow is pointing. It will always point to north.

I think this is a fully adequate display. Simple and unequivocal.

I'm also fine with Dave's suggestion to remove manual rotation entirely and keep the wording as-is. I don't use it aside from when I'm beating up on the program.
Old 28-12-2014, 16:52   #99
Marine Service Provider

JPierre...

Regarding "_" and "\" duplication on AZERTY keyboard:

Good idea. We will eliminate the "_" key for AZERTY, and just use "-" for zoomout.

Thanks
Dave
Old 28-12-2014, 17:06   #100

Thomas,

Weather_routing
Has two references in the bar on the right refering to the same page "weather_routing_plugin" and yet in the description list to the left Weather_Routing does not appear.

The url is "weather_routing_plugin"

I don't know how to fix this as well as you. I have edited that plugin page a little but I am traveling tomorrow MT ---> MA and will hopefully be able to do more Tuesday on plugins writeups.

===
Sean, Please note that I have not been able to make a routing with isochrones of different colors for Climatology and Grib similar to what you uploaded. Is it working for the rest of us, have you uploaded those changes to git? --I don't think so.
Old 28-12-2014, 19:11   #101

Thomas, the page Weather_routing does not appear on is
Plugins | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Old 28-12-2014, 19:21   #102

Quote:
Red means automatic course up (my suggested wording). In your case, clicking the icon turned it red because you put O into course up mode. If the red arrow is pointing straight up it's because you do not have GPS connected, or your boat is standing still or going COG due north.
I think this makes sense, but perhaps we should use the new version and really get familiar with the 3 states: North up, Course (automatic) up, and Rotated (manual course up), so that we really know what is needed! It seems bdcat would prefer to remove it for now to keep things simple....so lets just see how and how much we all use it after the release.
Old 28-12-2014, 19:53   #103

Boat: Richter 42

Hi,
When I do a parallel install on Win 8.1 I just copy the 'Plugins' directory from a previous install over the new 'Plugins' directory and skip all the modules that are currently in the new version. Then start OCPN and all the plugins work without having to install them. This works for S63 and all the other plugins I have.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Gilletarom,

just install the S63 plug-in (running the set-up again) into 3.3.2424 and you will access the S63 charts in this version as as well.

The charts are there - to use those the S63 plug-in has to be present in the version. Similar to the other plug-ins.

Hubert
Old 28-12-2014, 20:01   #104

Yes, jongough, that works with Windows too.

Quote:
Thomas, the page Weather_routing does not appear on is
Plugins | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Thomas I think I have fixed this.
Old 28-12-2014, 20:36   #105

Thomas, I've gone through and edited the following Plugin wikis:
Climatology - Updated and improved.
Weather_routing - Updated
Weather_fax - Updated for new features. Could be made more complete.
Celestial_Navigation - Completed recently in good shape. Quite complete.

Both the Weatherfax and rtlsdr plugins could use greater detail and explanation in due course.

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: