Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2014, 13:38   #151

Boat: Dufour 35
Disappearing AIS target

Just by chance I saw the Container Vessel "Helle Ritsher" just vanish from the chart. No indication what so ever that this was about to happen. No overdue AIS report time etc. Furthermore, she was still in the "AIS Target List" so I could get target info and drop wpts on her position. I have also recorded some VDR data.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HR2.png
Views:	119
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	89942

and the VDR files.
HR.txt.pdf
HR2.txt.pdf

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 15:12   #152

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: Disappearing AIS target

I ticked the box to convert AIVDM to AIVDO for this MMSI, some time ago. Dave never said that this feature was ready for prime time. I have not been able to get it to work.
Deleting this setting and restarting made the vessel appear again.
/Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 17:34   #153
Marine Service Provider

Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 3.3.2118 Released

cagney, et al...

The VDM->VDO option is not well tested.

It is intended for at least the following very specific scenario:

1. You have an AIS transponder, not connected to your computer.
2. You have a separate AIS receiver, used to monitor your own AIS signal, as well as all other traffic.
3. You desire not to collide with yourself, virtually. So you instruct O to convert the AIVDM for your MMSI coming in via your AIS receiver into AIVDO, or "ownship". Thus, no collision. O may, however, also use this converted AIVDO for ownship position if enabled in the connections dialog.

There may be other uses for this VDM->VDO conversion.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 01:24   #154

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptizef View Post
But what is this "particle" patch for ? I didn't noticed any difference in the plugin displays
JP
Oh sorry . I wrote far before thinking ...

Very nice indeed !
Tested also this morning with very last git and ubuntu 14.04LST

seems to work perfectly

Thanks

Jean Pierre
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 02:58   #155

Boat: Najad 34

MMSI properties.
After reading the former posts I discovered this nice new AIS tab. For sure very handy but I haven't found a functional description for the different properties. What is for example the difference between default and always -track? Could someone give that description, please?

Maybe I don't understand "never track" or PLB/MOB correct but what would be very useful is to designate a single MMSI as a "follower/buddy" e.g it should be vissible and tracked but not activate the collision alarm. (Since we are supposed to be close to each others all the time.)
And to complicate things even more the follower could also be used for collision alarm but with it's own safe distance. (We both could fall in sleep couldn't we? ) Just a thought, not very serious.

Thanks Håkan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MMSI_prop.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	89967  
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 11:17   #156

Tested particle patch (last git) on my low powered Windows 8.1 with a touch screen

I faced several problems

when particle ON and displayed :
1) the mouse wheel and "finger" smooth zooming is broken
2) I can't exit O. I must close the plugin before( sometime I got crash )
2) If I uncheck it, when clicking OK to close the setting dialog, the change is not applied ( the code after the "ShowModal" is not run )

This three problem do not happen on my other device both with Vista and Ubuntu

Another problem common to the three configurations :
When using playback or next/prev button, the particle lines are not refreshed at the same speed as the wind arrows and in case of an important wind direction change, the display become completely incoherent

There is very few difference between GL and no GL mode except the no GL mode is very slow

Jean Pierre
Old 19-10-2014, 11:41   #157

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

After I git pull the main opencpn and compiled for Particles, checked particles under grib wind, then ran it and the first time I had these parameters:
. wind
. wind particles
. cape
and it was very effective!!!! Now I am unable to get all those parameters set up, but the particles do work. Why would the parameters show initially and now it does not work? Wierd. Have tried resetting, turn off particles and then on, etc. 3x's.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 11:54   #158

I would like to be able to check AT LEAST 3 parameters to have them show!!! At present the plugin does not allow this for Windows, it only allows the checking of ONE parameter, and it has been this way for sometime. I do not know why this action was changed, but it would be helpful if the plugin was not so authoritarian and dictatorial in the way it allows us to work... some want it to change to show only the parameter selected, others want to be able to check and uncheck various parameters. Why not let the user choose how the checkboxes are to work.
1....Exclusive Checkbox Selection of parameters.
2... Multiple Checkbox selection of parameters.
This choice should be a a level under Settings where the user can go to setting and change it at the TOP, very easily.

Without mulitple checkbox selection of parameters, many users will miss the feature of adjusting transparency and seeing the interrelationship of 2-3 parameters such as
1....wind
2....wind particles
3....pressure
4....CAPE
Which I find to be a very effective image and presentation.
Thanks
Rickk
Old 19-10-2014, 18:14   #159

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptizef View Post
Tested particle patch (last git) on my low powered Windows 8.1 with a touch screen

I faced several problems

when particle ON and displayed :
1) the mouse wheel and "finger" smooth zooming is broken
2) I can't exit O. I must close the plugin before( sometime I got crash )
3) If I uncheck it, when clicking OK to close the setting dialog, the change is not applied ( the code after the "ShowModal" is not run )
For 1, I believe this must be lived with when you have a slow graphics card?

For 2, This is a bug in the underlying opencpn not the plugin. It must not allow refresh of display when the quitting flag is set.

For 3 I would have to debug on the system in question.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 00:51   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I would like to be able to check AT LEAST 3 parameters to have them show!!! At present the plugin does not allow this for Windows, it only allows the checking of ONE parameter, and it has been this way for sometime. I do not know why this action was changed, but it would be helpful if the plugin was not so authoritarian and dictatorial in the way it allows us to work... some want it to change to show only the parameter selected, others want to be able to check and uncheck various parameters. Why not let the user choose how the checkboxes are to work.
1....Exclusive Checkbox Selection of parameters.
2... Multiple Checkbox selection of parameters.
This choice should be a a level under Settings where the user can go to setting and change it at the TOP, very easily.

Without mulitple checkbox selection of parameters, many users will miss the feature of adjusting transparency and seeing the interrelationship of 2-3 parameters such as
1....wind
2....wind particles
3....pressure
4....CAPE
Thanks
Rickk
Rick

If I understood well what you are saying, you would like to be able to show mix of different coloured overlay?
It was a demand at the beginning I don't remember exactly when , surely a year ago, to not be possible
And I can say this demand was very logic because I don't see what could be the advantage of mixing the colours of different parameters, but I well see the confusion for a common un-experimented user
Nevertheless, it could be possible to have a user parameter, but is it really useful

Wind + particles are under the same parameter so wind + particles + pressure are yet possible

Jean Pierre
Old 20-10-2014, 01:08   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
For 1, I believe this must be lived with when you have a slow graphics card?
Ye certainly there is a link to the low power, but I am not saying it is slow what I could easily understand, but I am saying it do not work at all. As soon as particles are selected and displayed, the mouse wheel do not react nor the classical finger action to zoom .
JP
Old 20-10-2014, 17:53   #162

Rick wrote
Quote:
1....wind
2....wind particles
3....pressure
4....CAPE
Jean Pierre wrote
Quote:
If I understood well what you are saying, you would like to be able to show mix of different coloured overlay?
It was a demand at the beginning I don't remember exactly when , surely a year ago, to not be possible
And I can say this demand was very logic because I don't see what could be the advantage of mixing the colours of different parameters, but I well see the confusion for a common un-experimented user
Nevertheless, it could be possible to have a user parameter, but is it really useful

Wind + particles are under the same parameter so wind + particles + pressure are yet possible
Yes, it would be good to keep it simple and to not have overlay's conflict. I have found the setting I thought we had, and it is implemented in a slightly different way than I was talking about. It is in the settings for each of the parameters for "Wind" and "Pressure" as the checkbox for "Always on". I believe this "Always on" check is intended to have the parameter always display or show (whether the display checkbox in the initial window is checked or not).

What I would like to show is the following:
1....wind & wind particles (when checked) - Also check "Always On"
2....pressure - Also check "Always On"
3....CAPE <--- We should now be able to check this overlay, but cannot because, wind particles is turned off due to the fact that it only shows when the wind box is checked!

Perhaps when "particles" is checked we should automatically show both the wind and wind particles? Then I would be able to check the CAPE box and have all of it show (wind, particles, pressure, CAPE).

The other alternative is to make Wind Particles a totally separate parameter alongside wind.

Thanks for listening and making such a nicely controlled grib plugin, it keeps getting better between you and Sean's efforts.

Best Regards
Rick
Old 21-10-2014, 00:34   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
The other alternative is to make Wind Particles a totally separate parameter alongside wind.
Personally, I think the nullschool particle view is most useful when planning a 5-8 day perspective. With careful analysis, the traditional grib display carries the same information, but takes more effort to read. With more local view, windbarbs may be more useful, when having just a couple of them around, as they give ready values readout.

It will be interesting to see the particles on a very local, large scale chart, when windbarbs effectively disappear. Nullschool does not allow zooming in so much.

So I think the choice betweein windbarbs and particles is perhaps exclusive - or separate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	grib_20140919_0940.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	90076   Click image for larger version

Name:	nullschool_20140919_0940.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	90077  

PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 00:57   #164

[QUOTE=
What I would like to show is the following:
1....wind & wind particles (when checked) - Also check "Always On"
2....pressure - Also check "Always On"
3....CAPE <--- We should now be able to check this overlay, but cannot because, wind particles is turned off due to the fact that it only shows when the wind box is checked!

Perhaps when "particles" is checked we should automatically show both the wind and wind particles? Then I would be able to check the CAPE box and have all of it show (wind, particles, pressure, CAPE).
Rick[/QUOTE]

Ok let's have a "Always shown" check box for particles too, as it can be superposed to any other overlay as is wind barbs and pressure isobars
right ?
JP
Old 21-10-2014, 01:21   #165

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Maybe we could just allow multiple fields selected, unless overlays are selected. In this case, it should deselect all fields which also have overlays. This is how the climatology plugin handles it anyway.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn