Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2014, 10:27   #211

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 3.3.1824 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
The second problem isn't a problem, it's simply OpenCPN being more honest with you. For input only UDP connections OpenCPN has always ignored whatever you stuck in that field and just listened on all addresses of all interfaces it has (a special address represented by zeros). The wiki needs to be updated to explain that and the lack of update is my fault which I hope to correct in the coming week.

Are you sure OpenCPN worked entering "localhost" for a GPSD network connection before? I didn't intentionally change anything GPSD-related (although not discounting having done so inadvertently). Try using "127.0.0.1" and see if that works instead of "localhost".

Muttnik

I hope that you can find some time to review and update the "data Connections" page on the wiki!

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 11:31   #212

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Sean

re:

Code:
I am seeing some strange graphics anomalies with opengl in quilting mode.  I don't recall seeing this until very recently.
Does this happen only on really small scale charts?
Any correlation with a chart that crosses 180 E/W?

In your pix, I note that I have never seen a piano bar with a raster chart of smaller scale than cm93. What chart is that just to the right of yellow cm93 key button?

Dave
Interesting. The chart to the right, I switched to and disabled quilted mode, now I see just the background chart. I think maybe the chart has a wrong scale 1:100,000,000 Should probably be 1:100,000 The thumbnail shows ok.

How do we handle loading charts that are invalid or corrupted or can't be displayed properly? Should we display a list of the failed ones to the user when the chart database gets rebuilt? Maybe in this case we can compute a more realistic scale to use.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 12:48   #213

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I hope that you can find some time to review and update the "data Connections" page on the wiki!
Mea Culpa. Been crazy busy. Will find time this weekend. Apologies all round.

Question though: what is the preferred method for editing when behaviour changes? My default assumption is that I'm editing the beta wiki so it should apply to the latest beta. There's an argument to say that I should put that behaviour was ABC before beta x.y.z but DEF after. OTOH more wordiness could just confuse people and clutter the wiki. I'll replace rather than augment unless advised otherwise.
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 13:23   #214

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef

I tested texture compression ON, Texture Caching ON and rebuilt the cache
It took 1h10mn to Vista and the double to W8.1 ( We see the power difference between the 2 devises) ...
And it is much, much better !!!
On the two,the performance is globally quite good; the change of chart is fast enough and at the moment I have got any hang
There are lot of improvements !
tests were made on last git 3.3.1929
Thanks
Jean Pierre
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 13:51   #215

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Hakan...
Pull the latest master - Should be fixed there. At least it is for my machines.

Pavel
Pavel and Dave..
Pulled 3.3.1929. Builds fine and run very good. Zooming is fast for both vector charts and raster with texture compression.
Many thanks/ Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 14:09   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
Mea Culpa. Been crazy busy. Will find time this weekend. Apologies all round.

Question though: what is the preferred method for editing when behaviour changes? My default assumption is that I'm editing the beta wiki so it should apply to the latest beta. There's an argument to say that I should put that behaviour was ABC before beta x.y.z but DEF after. OTOH more wordiness could just confuse people and clutter the wiki. I'll replace rather than augment unless advised otherwise.
Your default assumption is correct.
The current beta wiki will become the documentation for the next stable version.

Thomas
Old 31-07-2014, 14:20   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Sean

re:

Code:
I am seeing some strange graphics anomalies with opengl in quilting mode.  I don't recall seeing this until very recently.
Does this happen only on really small scale charts?
Any correlation with a chart that crosses 180 E/W?

In your pix, I note that I have never seen a piano bar with a raster chart of smaller scale than cm93. What chart is that just to the right of yellow cm93 key button?

Dave
Dave

I can't find any general errors with small scale charts, neither with charts across the dateline. There is however something with with error handling.
Look at this distorted grid.
Click image for larger version

Name:	chart1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	85920

Thomas
Old 31-07-2014, 14:33   #218
Marine Service Provider

Sean....

Can you post or send me a copy of the offending very small scale chart?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 14:37   #219
Marine Service Provider

cagney....

Whoa, strange...

Maybe you have better send me that Indian Ocean chart(INT71.KAP) as well.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:32   #220

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
The defunct information (following the bi-directional data connection change) has been replaced with current information and I've replaced images showing the previous version of the UI with newer ones. That's actually made me think that the add/remove buttons should be placed below the data connections pane to allow more connection data to be displayed without scrolling: I'll try and look at that.

The data connections page could possibly do with a re-write but at least I've removed some of the blatant lies....
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:04   #221

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Post Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 3.3.1824 Released

Quote:
Your default assumption is correct.
The current beta wiki will become the documentation for the next stable version.

Thomas
Does that mean we are going to distribute it with the binary? So far the installer is mostly documentation, I stripped it down and the result is a file 7.5MB for windows and 4.5MB on linux to install opencpn. I can't imagine how big the wiki would be.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:14   #222

Boat: Phantom 19

More or less as it is now, the documentation has always been generated like that... Splitting the installer? Of course possible.

Sent from
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:19   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Does that mean we are going to distribute it with the binary? So far the installer is mostly documentation, I stripped it down and the result is a file 7.5MB for windows and 4.5MB on linux to install opencpn. I can't imagine how big the wiki would be.
Far from the whole wiki will be included. My preliminary plan for O4 is to include everything related to using the core program, including the grib and dashboard plugins. The WMM and the VDR plugin documentation will also be included as they are "basic infrastructure".

I like your approach, with included documentation in your plugins, and think that we should encourage other plugin authors to do the same.

Even though the documentation is a big part of the installation, I think that it is very important to make sure that the manual is always available at sea, and away from the Internet.

I'll have an updated version ready for the next beta. For the moment, the old 3.2.2 manual is distributed with the betas.

Thomas
Old 01-08-2014, 09:29   #224

Boat: Phantom 19

I have started a little experiment in https://github.com/nohal/OpenCPN/tree/strip_docs
The plan is to split the package in two by default - "opencpn", containing just the program files and minimal set of data and opencpn-doc, containing the manual.

Of course we can even strip (most of) the gshhs shoreline data and create two more extra packages "opencpn-data-midres" (containing the current default detail level) and "opencpn-data-highres" (containing the full resolution data)

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:22   #225

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Thank you Pavel! I think this makes a whole lot of sense. The doc could be updated separately from the program too, similar to the priorities and focus and users on limited band width don't have download through small pipes stuff they've got or don't need. Thanks again.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn