Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2014, 18:09   #1
Marine Service Provider

OpenCPN Beta Version 3.3.1824 Released

Ahoy, OpenCPN'ers...

OpenCPN Version 3.3 Beta Build 1824 will soon be available for download from opencpn.org.

Monitor the opencpn.org Downloads page to find and download the latest Beta version binaries.....

Source is available now on github at:
https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN
Branch: master

Changelog:
273. Improve cm93 chart scale selection logic to preclude overzoom where possible.
274. Correct fault on Mac, AISTargetListDialog "Close" button
275. Implement user icons with transparent background for OpenGL
276. Correct vector chart outline colour.
277. Correct AIS CPA alarm acknowledge behavior when not using ACK timeouts.
278. Correct for very high CPU load factor on OpenGL systems.
279. Improve AIS target list sorting logic for large target counts. (FS#1176)
280. Add "Wd" to S57 NATSUR lookup list (FS#1379)
281. Validate and correct Tide/Current data source on OCPN version upgrade
282. Improve Zoom-to-Cursor dynamics (FS#1414)
283. Correct rendering of "degree" symbol in OpenGL Texture Fonts (FS#1419)
284. Correct font identifier string duplication in non-en_US locales.
285. Correct Track Split logic (FS#1410)
286. Improve/Correct Windows "Dialog" font sizing logic.
287. Improve Windows Tide station time table layout.
288. Correct quilt layout on chart group change.
289. Correct default track width rendering in OpenGL. (FS#1424)
290. Refactor OpenGL raster chart caching logic.
291. Improve RouteProperties dialog layout.
292. Enable Menu font size changes for Windows platforms.
293. Enable font size/face changes for S57 Object Query dialogs
294. Apply Font style changes to persistent dialogs without restart.

Notes:

290. This is the major update for this Beta.
Texture caching of Raster charts has been substantially updated. Here are the details.
a. When enabled, the texture cache is created dynamically, as charts are visting in normal navigation. Depending on your OpenGL hardware capabilities, there may be some slight but noticable delay as a chart is accessed the very first time while the textures are created, compressed, and written to disk. Once a particular chart section has been cached, subsequent accesses are very fast. If the OpenGL hardware texture buffer is capable, then rendering on-screen is virtually instantaneous.
b. The cache understands color scheme changes. Cache entries are automatically created for each of the 4 possible BSB color schemes, as they are encountered in normal operation.
c. The cache understands chart Edition Dates. So, if one manually updates a chart (thus changing the chart's Edition Date), the old cache contents will be discarded, and a new cache will be built automatically as the new chart(s) are visited.
d. Using compressed texture caching retains all the benefits described earlier. It is very much faster on low spec hardware, at the expense of more disk space usage.
e. There is really no pressing need ever to manually create a texture cache of the full chart database. The previous texture cache rebuild on chart database rebuild has been eliminated.
f. But if you insist, there is a command line option which will build/update your compressed texture cache.
Your may execute opencpn like this: opencpn /rebuild_gl_raster_cache (-rebuild_gl_raster_cache on linux)
This may be fun to watch the mileage and rectangle counters click up, but is not a particularly good stress test, as there is only ever one chart open at a time, and it is carefully purged after the cache file is complete. But if you have nothing better to do, have fun.

I thank Sean for the basic concepts and code that are used in this evolution. We build upon each other...

There are several issues that came up in FLyspray, and on the Forum thread, which have not been addressed in this Beta. It was judged most important to stabilize the OpenGL display and GUI elements as soon as practical, and then carry forward with the less pervasive details on the next and subsequent Beta tests. Rest assurred that we are hearing your bug reports, and all will be addressed before a Production Release.

A point about bug reporting, please. If you report a bug that you suspect may be related to the new OpenGL enhancements, we need to know all about your OpenGL environment in order to diagnose the trouble. As a minimum, we need to see the OpenGL relevant lines from your logfile. They will look like this:

12:42:42 EDT: OpenGL-> Renderer String: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Q35 x86/MMX/SSE2
12:42:42 EDT: OpenGL-> Detected Intel renderer, disabling stencil buffer
12:42:42 EDT: OpenGL-> Texture rectangle format: de1
12:42:42 EDT: OpenGL-> Using Framebuffer Objects
12:42:42 EDT: OpenGL-> FBO Stencil buffer unavailable
12:42:42 EDT: OpenGL-> Using Depth buffer clipping
12:42:42 EDT: OpenGL-> Using 3dfx fxt1 compression
12:42:42 EDT: OpenGL-> Compressed tile size: 128kb (6:1)

Please check and clear your Flyspray issues, if possible

Thanks, and good luck

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 18:38   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 3.3.1824 Released

Testers...
The beta PPA is now populated with fresh 3.3.1824 builds for all the supported Ubuntu versions. Please note that there will be no manually built DEB packages on opencpn.org for some time as Cagney is out sailing, so really consider adding the PPA to your system, it is as easy as
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nohal/opencpn
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install opencpn
There is also an important change in the way we would like to manage the localization of OpenCPN into foreign languages, so if you are currently working on the translations or considered doing so, please read http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1571426 - it has never been easier to help.

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 23:05   #3

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Ahoy, OpenCPN'ers...
Texture caching of Raster charts has been substantially updated. Here are the details.
a. When enabled, the texture cache is created dynamically, as charts are visting in normal navigation. Depending on your OpenGL hardware capabilities, there may be some slight but noticable delay as a chart is accessed the very first time while the textures are created, compressed, and written to disk. Once a particular chart section has been cached, subsequent accesses are very fast. If the OpenGL hardware texture buffer is capable, then rendering on-screen is virtually instantaneous.
A few ideas here. I like the dynamic capability, I started with this then moved to batch mode because it was too slow. However the refactoring is much better because it is tile-based, so it doesn't have to cache the entire chart at once and is very usable. Thank you Dave.
Quote:
b. The cache understands color scheme changes. Cache entries are automatically created for each of the 4 possible BSB color schemes, as they are encountered in normal operation.
I had left this out, and this completes the cache (although at a much higher disk usage). I want to note that I plan in the future to implement color schemes using programmable shaders, which would allow for infinite customizable color schemes (you could make the sea red if you want), but mainly to adjust for each individual user better. This would no longer require extra disk space. It would also support color schemes for charts which don't have them specified.
Quote:
e. There is really no pressing need ever to manually create a texture cache of the full chart database. The previous texture cache rebuild on chart database rebuild has been eliminated.
f. But if you insist, there is a command line option which will build/update your compressed texture cache.
Your may execute opencpn like this: opencpn /rebuild_gl_raster_cache (-rebuild_gl_raster_cache on linux)
This may be fun to watch the mileage and rectangle counters click up, but is not a particularly good stress test, as there is only ever one chart open at a time, and it is carefully purged after the cache file is complete. But if you have nothing better to do, have fun.
What do you mean carefully purged? I propose adding a button to generate the cache in the opengl options dialog so that a command line option is not the only way. On low spec hardware, especially with etc1 compression, it takes much longer to cache each tile, so the delay is going to be a lot more. It is nice to build the complete cache when you are sleeping, so that you can use the program with no slowdowns initially. In batch mode it can also take advantage of multiple cores to speed things up (even low-spec arms are often dual and quad core) I also propose that in the dynamic cache building mode (when it is building the cache on the fly), it should load the tile immediately uncompressed, and in a background thread, (usually on a different core) create the cached tile for future use, and replace it to reduce video memory when it's ready. This would eliminate the initial "slight but noticeable" delay.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 23:56   #4

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post

I had left this out, and this completes the cache (although at a much higher disk usage). I want to note that I plan in the future to implement color schemes using programmable shaders, which would allow for infinite customizable color schemes (you could make the sea red if you want), but mainly to adjust for each individual user better. This would no longer require extra disk space. It would also support color schemes for charts which don't have them specified.

Re color scheme. This tech talk is way above my head. What I want is to retain my capacity to change the chart color scheme by tweaking chartsymbols.xml (or by any other mean...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image002.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	83721  
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 00:03   #5

Re 286. Improve/Correct Windows "Dialog" font sizing logic.
OK I can now change the font in 'Dialog'
Thks Dave

However, re 284. Correct font identifier string duplication in non-en_US locales.
I still have duplicate items (FWIW on a parallel install)
Only the English line seems active
See pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image001.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	83722  
Old 25-06-2014, 00:20   #6

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
Re color scheme. This tech talk is way above my head. What I want is to retain my capacity to change the chart color scheme by tweaking chartsymbols.xml (or by any other mean...)
This is only dealing with color schemes in raster charts. The compressed cache initially broke the support but Dave fixed that.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 00:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
This is only dealing with color schemes in raster charts. The compressed cache initially broke the support but Dave fixed that.
Ok
BTW, for your hard work to speed up chart display on low end PCs. I can put up with deficiencies in betas
Old 25-06-2014, 03:31   #8
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Built on on ARM-hf successfully

bcn
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 05:07   #9
Marine Service Provider

SaiolorF54...

Please post your config file to investigate the duplicate font specifications...

Thanks
Dave
Old 25-06-2014, 06:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
SaiolorF54...

Please post your config file to investigate the duplicate font specifications...

Thanks
Dave
Hi Dave
Here is my .ini file
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn.ini.doc (36.9 KB, 91 views)
Old 25-06-2014, 06:40   #11

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Dell XPS 15 Laptop with Nvidia geforce card (active) and Intel graphic card.
====
NVIDIA System Information report
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
DirectX version: 11.0
GPU processor: GeForce GT 540M
Driver version: 306.97
DirectX support: 11.1
CUDA Cores: 96
Core clock: 672 MHz
Shader clock: 1344 MHz
Memory data rate: 1800 MHz
Memory interface: 128-bit
Total available graphics memory: 4096 MB
Dedicated video memory: 2048 MB DDR3
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 2048 MB
Video BIOS version: 70.08.44.00.11
IRQ: 16
Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen2

====
Opencpn.ini file
Line 718
OpenGL=1
SmoothPanZoom=0

Line 795
UseFBOPanning=1
GPUTextureCompression=1
GPUTextureDimension=512
GPUTextureMemSize=224
UseMagAPB=0
MobileTouch=0
ResponsiveGraphics=0
UseAcceleratedPanning=0
GPUTextureCompressionCaching=0
====

Downloaded yesterdays Beta from the website
current beta release is 3.3.1824, released June 24, 2014.

Charts tested
BSB
ENC
CM93
all work.

Then Checked Smooth Zooming. All charts worked. Alt- and Alt+ zoom in smaller increments. BSB is much slower and seems too have big increment, but need to use more. The + and - keys are best used for BSB.

Then Unchecked Smooth Zooming and checked under Opengl - Use Accelerated panning with Texture compression checked too. All charts worked. Panning seemed about the same with or without accel pan.

Then checked smooth zooming, accel panning, texture compression, and checked texture cache of 224mb.
BSB seemed to work better, panning and zooming there was a slight hesitation but the operation was smoother than before.
Using ENC Moved up to the Maine coast. Zoomed and many Sencs were generated. Waited. Then could pan and zoom easily. As zoomed into new area, Sencs were generated, filling in holes in the mapping. Then could pan and zoom. It gets better as the holes get filled in. Seems to be pretty smooth pan and zoom when all sencs for an area are generated.

Using CM93 -This is really pretty seamless!

I think this is really starting to work. The only thing I noticed so far is that
with Texture caching on there is a change in the color of land anomaly that is confusing. Please see the attached.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2014-06-25 09.19.22.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	83733  
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 06:54   #12
Marine Service Provider

Rick...

Thanks for the report.
We need your logfile OpenGL entries to debug the colour problem, please.

Thanks
Dave
Old 25-06-2014, 09:16   #13

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I didn't see any opengl entries in the logfile, but I might be looking in the wrong place.
Anyway here are both the Ini and log, copied and pasted from the "?". Hope this has want you need. Note I have used the program to try wxrte and climatology since.
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn.ini.doc (36.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: doc opencpn.log.doc (47.6 KB, 72 views)
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 12:22   #14
Marine Service Provider

Rick...
Just so so will know, and everyone else too, the lines from your log that are meaningful are:

Code:
10:06:56 AM: OpenGL-> Renderer String: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
10:06:56 AM: OpenGL-> Detected Intel renderer, disabling stencil buffer
10:06:56 AM: OpenGL-> Texture rectangle format: de1
10:06:56 AM: OpenGL-> Using Framebuffer Objects 
10:06:56 AM: OpenGL-> FBO Stencil buffer unavailable
10:06:56 AM: OpenGL-> Using Depth buffer clipping
10:06:56 AM: OpenGL-> Using s3tc dxt1 compression
10:06:56 AM: OpenGL-> Compressed tile size: 128kb (6:1)
Thanks
Dave
Old 25-06-2014, 13:28   #15

Created about 100 compressed Kap charts by simply panning.
Works fine. No colour problem.
Just a suggestion: "beginners" might be surprised by the computer not responding for 3 to 10 seconds (low end PC). Why not have a tiny pop-up appear at the beginning of the texture creation saying something like "digesting a new chart - Won't be necessary a second time - be patient for a few seconds" and disappearing when it's done

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn