Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2012, 10:31   #106

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 3.1.814 Released

Hubert...
All of these values are plain old integers, no decimal places.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 11:01   #107

Boat: Journeyman

Regarding zoom/pan:

I'm a typical engineer, the guy who usually wants everything technically correct. And the technically correct term is certainly "Pan", in every occasion (context menu, wpt manager, AIS SART alarm etc). OpenCPN pans, it doesn't zoom (as in change the scale).

But I still worry about having the menu saying "Pan To". Technically correct, but is it an easily understandable term for non-beta-tester users? Zoom to just seems much more like natural language, just like HappySeagull's motorcycle. And natural language is a good thing to strive for in a UI.

I consider this an important discussion, so please chime in and also maybe offer other ideas. I'm not a native English speaker after all. This is a good opportunity to clean up the context menu (it was getting overly big and it was hard to keep the organization feeling natural) but we shouldn't be changing it around too often.
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 11:12   #108

Boat: Hylas 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckSK View Post
While in quilt mode, changing from ENC or BSB charts to CM93 charts by using the piano keys often causes the view-point to change.
Further investigation shows that the change in viewport position occurs only if the piano key selected is right-most on the piano keyboard and after the selection, the number of keys has reduced, causing the cursor to end off the keyboard.

The reason it occurs in quilt mode is that the number of keys can change. In non-quilted mode, the number of keys stays constant.

Chuck
ChuckSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 11:41   #109

Boat: Wasa 410

Jesper,
Being an engineer, possibly making my opinion biased, I have thought "zoom to" being unclear. I think "zoom" should be reserved for a change of scale.

I looked the word up: zoom - definition of zoom by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
I shouldn't have done that because it opposes my opinion.

I am as you not a native English speaker, I am Swedish, but all my experience with the word "zoom" in graphical oriented software is that it means changing the apparent size of objects or changing the scale of something on the screen.

I would prefer:
"Pan to"

I like the word "Move" but it could be confused with "Move ownship" or "Move Cursor to".

An alternative to "Pan to" could be "Move window to" but I think it is better to use what I believe is the correct term "Pan to" and then explain the term in the documentation.

I do think most users will understand the term "Pan to".

/Jonas
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 11:54   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaberg View Post
I like the word "Move" but it could be confused with "Move ownship" or "Move Cursor to".
...especially since we had both Move To, Jump To/zoom To and Go To originally meaning different things...

Here's a new idea: "Center View", or "Center View On".
Old 21-08-2012, 11:58   #111

Boat: Nidelv 28, 28ft
Send a message via Skype™ to HotRod

How can you be confused with "move ownship" or "move cursor to"? You are actually doing this.. Not zooming, not panning, but moving.

Zoom is when moving closer to an object to make it look bigger.
Panning is when you move your sight left, right, up or down to see more of an object without zooming out.

Please stick to what's in use in professional chart-plotters like Maxsea, telchart, olex...
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 12:05   #112
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Zoom --> changing scale
Pan --> moving view port

and everybody happy as the translations are in place in the other languages as well. Common use.

Move boat to..
Move to ..
are clear as well

No panic, please

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 12:21   #113

OK, nobody likes Zoom To so far. Good.

But what we had before: Jump To and Zoom To used in different places to describe exactly the same thing is just plain bad, so change is needed anyway. We should at least be consistent internally with ourselves.

So we can either:

- Replace the Zoom To's with Jump To, and keep the old Jump To's.
(Having replaced "Go To" with "Navigate To" removes the misunderstanding risk between Jump To and Go To anyway)

or

- Replace all of them with something else: Pan To, Center View, ...?
Old 21-08-2012, 12:36   #114

Boat: Wasa 410

I totally agree with Jespers views on consistency and correctness.
Maybe it is soon time for a poll...

My vote is for "Pan to" but I could live with "Center view" or maybe "Center view on"
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 12:38   #115

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Hi Jesper
I believe most users of a computer based nav system would understand the phrase "pan to...". If not, it will be clear the first time it is used.
I think the meaning of "Pan to..." is clearer than "Jump To..." and "Navigate to" or "Route to" is preferable to "Go to Here". My 2 cents.

By the way, many, many thanks to yourself and all the OCPN programmers for a great piece of software. I've been using it for almost 3 years as my only chart plotter and am very appreciative of all the effort that has gone into it.

Brian
brianalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 12:57   #116

Boat: Hylas 44

Quote:
Further investigation shows that the change in viewport position occurs only if the piano key selected is right-most on the piano keyboard and after the selection, the number of keys has reduced, causing the cursor to end off the keyboard.

The reason it occurs in quilt mode is that the number of keys can change. In non-quilted mode, the number of keys stays constant.

Chuck
Found the cause, but will let the experts fix it.

There is an orphaned left-up event when the piano key disappears. The event is processed as a pan to center event.

Chuck
ChuckSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 13:05   #117

Quote:
Found the cause, but will let the experts fix it.

There is an orphaned left-up event when the piano key disappears. The event is processed as a pan to center event.
Now that's the kind of bug report we like
I'll see to it. Seems I've been up and down ChartCanvas::MouseEvent() every day the last two weeks ... This is probably a fallout from returning focus to the canvas so that shortcut keys will work after a piano key press.
Old 21-08-2012, 14:08   #118

Boat: 29'

ahem.
More Pedantry::My motorcycle is fast. It "Zooms".
The word "Zoom" originally comes from the sound a fast thing makes when it goes past the observer but has changed to an acceptable verb....

There's nothing wrong with the words "zoom to" to express the action of changing the view to center on the boat fast.
"Panning" is also a photography term in this context but you don't want me quoting dictionaries.... panning can be fast or slow but Zoom is always fast.

Strangely enough, the Auto-follow button is really a panning button because it keeps the "camera" on a moving object-the boat.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 14:15   #119

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperWe View Post
OK, nobody likes Zoom To so far. Good.

But what we had before: Jump To and Zoom To used in different places to describe exactly the same thing is just plain bad, so change is needed anyway. We should at least be consistent internally with ourselves.

So we can either:

- Replace the Zoom To's with Jump To, and keep the old Jump To's.
(Having replaced "Go To" with "Navigate To" removes the misunderstanding risk between Jump To and Go To anyway)

or

- Replace all of them with something else: Pan To, Center View, ...?

O always tries to be standard compatible, were possible.
It's worth checking IMO, IHO etc. etc. for some established standard vocabulary for electronic navigation, or a proposal for a standard.
It's not difficult to understand that a clear meaning of the words, panning, zooming +++ must be established for a bridge team on a commercial vessels. I have not found anything, yet, but I'm sure there must be something.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 14:33   #120
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

and the translations will fall back to the established terms.

Don't run yourself mad about the English vocabulary. Zoom and Pan are standard - a far as I know.

Translators should step in here
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn