Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2013, 14:44   #76
Marine Service Provider

Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 3.1.1309 Released

Gilletarom....

Thinking of this idea:

Code:
Hello Dave,
In this thread, there is a post where you ask what you would like us to ask as a feature in 3.1.xxxx.
I thought about how it must take to create a layer with OCPN. Currently, delete what you do not want, or add and load only the necessary things. It is long.
The manager of Routes/tracks/WP/Layers, there is a button "Export all". With it, you can create a layer containing all the content manager. But if there are layers permanent, they are added to the new layer. This is not practical. Etc ...
Is it possible to add a button "Export all that is visible." It would suffice to hide without supppression everything that should not be present in the new layer and export only what is visible.
It would be a simple way to make gpx files which serve for permanent or temporary layers.
Gilletarom
To be sure of my understanding:
1. Do you suggest to export exactly what is visible, including layer objects?
2. Can you describe how the typical user may use this function profitably? What is the problem to solve?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 15:07   #77

Dave, what you have in version 3.1.1309 is absolutely correct. If you export all visible object, you may end up with exporting the visible chart(s) also. So i would not recommend to do so.
Bye
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 17:52   #78

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
To be sure of my understanding:
1. Do you suggest to export exactly what is visible, including layer objects?
If there is a button "Export only what you see" I said YES. If one of your layers is not interesting, you can close his eye. And so with this kind of button, no problem.

Quote:
2. Can you describe how the typical user may use this function profitably? What is the problem to solve?
For create a gpx file, I explained this method in a French forum (H & O).
- 1 Open Manager "Tracks, Routes, Marks and Waypoint"
- 2 Clear all tabs and to do this you will, perhaps, save your routes, your tracks, your WP. (And this can be long)
- 3 In the tabs "Routes" and/or "Traces" and/or "Waypoint", create or import all routes, tracks, waypoints and marks you want to place in the new gpx,
- 4 Use the button "Export All".
- 5 Delete objects that were imported in step 3, the tabs tracks and/or routes and/or waypoint.
- 6 Reload what you have cleaned at N° 2.

This method is unpleasant because it must start by emptying the manager then at the end, you must reload everything that you have suppressed at point 02. (and perhaps, and may be he will be useful to destroy the backup file that you created in step 2)

If a button "Export only what you see" exist, it is just necessary to shut the eyes that you do not want in the gpx file. So the point 2 is not necessairy and the point 6 is more simple because the it is more simple to open eyes that to reload routes, tracks and WP

In any case, with a button "Save only what you see", you can choice easily exactly what you want in your gpx file. (using eventually also "lists Contents)
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 19:06   #79

Dave,

I have made the test without /dev/garmin and without /dev/earth. It is the same.
I don't know if I will have enough time to test with nothing and then add connections one by one. Weather should be good, we are waiting that for a very long time and we are going tomorrow or the day after. And then no more internet for 5/6 months.

And I will be glad to send you the report of ddd GUI debugger, but I don't know what it is .
If you give me some indications, I will find and sent the result on your email address after we will arrive, in 3 or 4 days. I don't want to test anything while sailing long distance, I need my Opencpn working fine.
jpiebrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 19:07   #80

Boat: 29'

per Gilletarom..that is what I must do, too, to create a new layer... delete the unnecessary to that new creation.
....Create it, then Export all ...(then reload the backed up!)... I don't mind it, and haven't the wit to think too much upon it just now, but Gilletarom's idea strikes me as more elegant.
No export/import of the backup is required if I can just hide unnecessaries instead of deleting them. Deleting is permanent and invites boo-boos, (whatever confirmation dialogue Bill Gates or anyone else distracts me with)

VISIBLE layers could be included...in fact, this might help to add and update them easier. as it is now, they need be imported "properly" as active editable gpx... (and of course,doing this, the layer behind needs hiding before deleting things in the editing!)

a BIG Plus: Gilletarom's idea would certainly be easier to explain wouldn't it?
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 06:23   #81

Boat: 10.50 mètres

1° Hello Thomas Cagney or Taïfun or ...

Below, in this page : Layers Library | Official OpenCPN Homepage, there is two links for download layers with windfarm.

The firts of these two links "Windfarms, PjotrC" is broken.

2° And Hello Dave,
Sorry Dave, great error for me. No problem.

After this night, when I try to work around modify layer I have placed many windfarm in "WP" with "lists contents".

So the first draft of this post was aberrant. I corrected
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 07:07   #82

Boat: Najad 34

Dave or?....

I've manage to get O hanging and could need some advises.
WinXP SP3.
Still struggling with data communication between two screens of O on the same PC. One normal run and one portable. The aim is to have one overview and one detailed window. To communicate between the two I can use either network or virtual serial ports.
When I've an IP address on the PC it's no problem but that's in principle only the status when at home. Then i run with local net addresses and port 10110 using UDP and NMEA source from WAN. No hanging.
When without an IP I've used local host, 127.0.01, port 10110 and UDP. Then NMEA source is GPS via a serial port. Then O hangs after 15 to 30 minutes. (More descriptions of the hanging itself further down.)
Also with an IP address, NMEA source from TCP Frisco, and O > O-p communication using virtual serial ports caused a hang. This test was because I suspected the local host UDP broadcast causing the hang but also now the survival time was some 15 to 30 minutes.
It's always the primary O that hangs. The O-p, portable, is stable. O hangs but do not crash. The PC as such is also affected so that focus changes between windows is slowed down. Trying to give focus to O fails. The frame is shown but nothing inside more than residues from last window with focus. I can't stop O from it's frame so I must kill it using task manager. (Task manager thinks O is running normal and no processor stress from O)

My imaginations points to some buffer overrun but that's without own knowledge about that. I don't know if I can log that?
I've deleted the ini file once to get rid of possible old scrap.

Please find screen shots, ini file and logs in attached pdf printout.

I do appreciate hints and further test suggestions.

Håkan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Conf_shots.pdf (208.4 KB, 75 views)
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 07:23   #83
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Hakan,

from the "feeling" described and the entries in the log this is perhaps the same type of error we had with the 3.1.1224 (reported as #124 in that thread).

Will try to test 3.1.1309 in the next days.

bcn
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 07:43   #84
Marine Service Provider

jpiebrig....

Thanks for the note...

Code:
1. $sudo apt-get install ddd

2. $ddd opencpn

3. From ddd mouse menus, Program->Run (runs opencpn).

4.  Make opencpn crash.

5.  From ddd menus, look at "Status->Backtrace"

6.  Take a screen shot and post.
Thanks
Dave
Old 16-01-2013, 09:16   #85
Marine Service Provider

Hakan...

I have your VSPE configuration running now for test. So far so good.

For my information: Is this a real configuration, or just for exercise? I assume that you want to share the Frisco AIS data and the primary GPS from O to O-p. Is that so? You could set up another TCP connection from the o-p instance to get the AIS feed, and use VSPE to share the real GPS....
Or am I missing something?

In any case, your proposed setup using VSPE to communicate to o-p should work. I'm waiting for a hang...

Dave
Old 16-01-2013, 10:17   #86

Quote:
Hakan...

I have your VSPE configuration running now for test. So far so good.

For my information: Is this a real configuration, or just for exercise? .....

Dave
Dave..
This TCP Frisco is just to have some exercise data flowing through at home. In the boat I'll use two serials, one GPS and one AIS and normaly no IP address.

Thanks for your effort./Håkan
Old 16-01-2013, 10:55   #87
Marine Service Provider

Hakan...

No failure yet on my testing.

Lets simplify a bit. Please keep your vspe setup, but kill the portable instance. Keep the Frisco AIS feed.

Will the master OCPN run normally, and indefinitely?

Dave
Old 16-01-2013, 11:17   #88

Quote:
Hakan...

No failure yet on my testing.

Lets simplify a bit. Please keep your vspe setup, but kill the portable instance. Keep the Frisco AIS feed.

Will the master OCPN run normally, and indefinitely?

Dave
Ok. I'll come back
Old 16-01-2013, 12:44   #89

Quote:

Dave:
Ok I'm still running without O-p. But something strange! at least for me:

Watching VSPE monitor while data is running through.
There are two rows. One what's recieved to port Com8 and one what's sent from OCPN.
Picture
The "Read" figure have here collected ~936 KB. The "Sent" is here 6.35 KB. The figure for OCPN is never exceeding ~7 KB, then it starts from 0 again. Also when, I suppose, screen updating admit I can see that row "1" disappear and returns after 5 to 10 seconds. I've cached that, see attached print out.
Is OCPN restarts sending when a buffer reaches 7 KB?? Or do I see something else here?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VSPE_monitor.pdf (109.1 KB, 63 views)
Old 16-01-2013, 12:50   #90

Dave.. again

There should have been a pic in last mess. It's here attached instead
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Region Capture.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	52966