Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2013, 00:02   #61

Boat: 29'
Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 3.1.1309 Released

I read the manual and I take from it that the "Other" is the best selection, or rather...".could be described as "all essentials" "which is enough to convince me. Not sure how it'll translate.

I just don't like the word Other to describe what looks like the best candidate for a default, IHO or not.

by the way-sorry "Apply"works on this computer, so that must have been the last beta on the last. my bad. as the younguns say
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 07:54   #62

what I'm getting at, is posted in Feature Requests
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1129885

...and is an idea stemming from Gilletarom's Post 54
"I also want to ask earnestly that the lists of objects displayed with "Base", with "Standard" and "Other" by OpenCPn are published on opencpn.org and are put in help OpenCPN."
Old 14-01-2013, 08:50   #63

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

One can (rather painfully) extract the relevant objects in the chartsymbol file by using the <display-cat>...</display-cat> (standard, displaybase, other attributes)
The 'other' objects seem to be in the 'ini' file (together with such complex objects as COALNE, DEPARE and LNDARE, probably some legacy)
The help section in the wiki says for the 'other' setting (See also Cagney's online help)
" Everything in "Standard" and more. This level could be described as "all essentials". More about what the IMO ECDIS says about the content of these three levels. This is a good choice for actual, underway, navigation, avoiding the possible risks involved in "Mariners Standard". See more below."

IMHO, Gilletarom's translation by 'all' isn't to far off the mark.

Now if 'other' has to be complied with, it will be submit or desist...
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 09:59   #64

Boat: stich and glue, 19 ft wherry row/sail

using git all went well with the compilation on a fedora 18 64 bit system
I was able to get gpsd working fine so an earlier attempt on my part was
incorrect.

I did notice one thing, I addeded portaudio-devel after cmake and now when I
start opencpn ,there is a message that jack-server is not started. opencpn
starts fine in any case. I am wondering if the sound capability is for anchor
alarms or something else?

thanks so much for opencpn
oystercatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 15:21   #65

Dave

RE Bug with lots of charts

Thank you for the response.

I couldn't find a good way to upload a big file so I created a torrent. There is no copyright violation (afaik) since all it contains is google earth images with the google logo intact and the torrent is therefore legitimate. It leads to a 7zip file called borneo.7z which in turn contains roughly 2479 KAP charts. That should immediately crash OpenCPN once you add them.

The file size is 440MB.

The attached file is suffixed .doc: to use it as a torrent file you need to delete the .doc - it is NOT a word file.

Meanwhile I'll experiment with the debugger - I've never done it in Linux so it may take a while.

Thank you again.

Pete
Attached Files
File Type: doc borneo.7z.torrent.doc (34.8 KB, 73 views)
GHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 16:26   #66
Marine Service Provider

Hello Vector Charters....

So, I got to thinking:
"Why are rocks and wrecks coded by IHO in Category "Other", when any reasonable navigator would say that the locations of rocks and wrecks are critical to safe navigation, and should be in Category "Standard", i.e. the minimum safe navigation set? What were they thinking?

Researched this, and found the following:

1. Don't know why the default category is "Other". However, there is in the standard conditional display algorithms the possibility of moving the objects dynamically to Category "Base", so that they always display and cannot be disabled. They will be moved if their depth is less than the surrounding depth, and that depth is within the Safe Navigation area as set by the "Safety Depth". I'll say it another way: If the water near the rock is deeper than your set Safety Depth, and the rock is less than that depth, then the rock MUST be shown. Sensible.

However, if the rock is in a water area shallower than your Safety Depth, then it is NOT shown, to reduce clutter. I guess the theory here was that you won't be navigating outside of your Safety Depth generally, so you don't care about rocks in that area.

2. So, we look at OCPN in this light, and, mirabile dictu, we find a bug.
O did not properly move the rock to Category "Base". Fix that bug and O does the right thing according to the spec. In "Standard" category, rocks are shown or not depending on the setting of Safety Depth.

3. Comes another complication...
We are working with a very old specification of S52 PLIB. The modern spec costs $$$. However, we can get some hints of modern thought by scanning the public minutes of the IHO meetings.

Someone in IHO has noticed that the the objects displayed in category "Standard" depend on the setting of the Safety Depth. This is not good, since category "Standard" is meant to be the one-touch default that will always produce safe, usable information, regardless of other settings. Sounds like some of our discussion in this thread, doesn't it?

So, there is a proposal to dynamically move all rocks and wrecks to at least category "Standard", and possibly to category "Base" depending on the Safety Depth. Under this proposal, dated just this year, category "Standard" will display all rocks and wrecks, and symbolize them as "dangerous" if their least depth is less than the safety depth.

Here's a link:
http://www.iho.int/mtg_docs/com_wg/D...llow_Water.pdf

Who knows if the proposal will be adopted. Regardless, I suggest that we adopt this logic. It is sensible, and solves some of the concerns of this thread. Rocks and Wrecks will be shown in Category "Standard", our default.

Comments?

Whew....Specs make my eyes cross.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 17:25   #67

Dave, at first the vector charts were meant to be use only by the shipping industries and therefore sailing in channel or separation zone as required and that is most probably one part of the reason. The second part is the reduce memory of computers put on board vessels at the beginning of the 90st. Very offen they were jam and had to reboot or sometimes they were going in DR, so one had to be constantly suspicuous about it. Furthermore, the charts were NTX charts and not the S57, with colors so so. The third reason, and not the least was the lack of kowledge of ships personnel of computers. So the system was laid out one way and left that way, every times you tried a different settings you would end up into trouble. Hope this clarified a little.
Regards.
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 23:16   #68

Thanks Pdub,Dave for the useful explanation.
Charts are notably oriented to Ships, not small craft.
With a 4' draft, My rocks all visible,all the time, when underway- Practical usage for me per safety depth etc. of cm93 is making them look like the Raster charts they are derived from, and those Raster charts show the rocks.
Old 15-01-2013, 00:18   #69

Boat: HR40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Regardless, I suggest that we adopt this logic. It is sensible, and solves some of the concerns of this thread. Rocks and Wrecks will be shown in Category "Standard", our default.

Comments?

Dave
Hi Dave, I'm lucky with that !
Old 15-01-2013, 01:18   #70

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

A small step for OpenCpn, a giant step for the sailing community
May I suggest that the default depth settings be set to more realistic values

I use but YMMV
Shallow 3 meters
Safety 5 m
Deep 10m

Anyway, I realize that these values loose meaning for small crafts when the tidal amplitude reaches several meters...
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 03:48   #71

Hi Dave,

I don't know if the problem comes from my computer or from O, but with the version 3.1.1309 and the same with the last build (yesterday), O is crashing often. Sometimes I am moving the chart and sometimes without doing anything.
I put my opencpn log in Pastebin and the same for opencpn conf.

opencpn.log - Pastebin.com
opencpn.conf - Pastebin.com

Ubuntu 12.04 64 bits
jpiebrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 04:28   #72

Dave,

I add the old log file with, perhaps, more informations :

old opencpn.log - Pastebin.com
Old 15-01-2013, 08:14   #73

I have uninstalled3.1.1309 and installed 3.1.1224 and for instant nothing, no crash. Seems to be good with this version.
Old 15-01-2013, 09:26   #74

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat
Comments?

Dave
______________--

No objections. Very good
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 13:10   #75
Marine Service Provider

jpiebrig....

Re your crashes on 3.1.1309:

From your log I notice that you have many Datastreams open.

Code:
18:08:41 CST: Opening NMEA Datastream Serial:/dev/garmin
18:08:41 CST: Opening NMEA Datastream Serial:/dev/ais
18:08:41 CST: Opening NMEA Datastream Serial:/dev/seatalk
18:08:41 CST: Opening NMEA Datastream Serial:/dev/earth
Perhaps you could try 3.1.1309 again without all streams open, and then open one-by-one to test stability.

Also, you are running linux. If you could please start OpenCPN with ddd GUI debugger, and show the Status->Backtrace when it crashes.
This may give us some idea of where to look for trouble.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn