Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2015, 01:24   #451

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef
Re: OpenCPN Beta test 4.1.1108 Release

Hakan
re
"The menu bar will not ever be opened by the Alt key. You've to check the option "Use Meny bar" in tools-User interface.
Then is the Alt key used to move focus to the bar so you can navigate with the arrow keys."

This is not the way it worked before
In 4.0 "Alt" key did open effectively the menu without doing anything else

Jean Pierre
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 01:39   #452

Boat: Najad 34

JP

No, and as said some posts above, this was changed, long ago, since it disturbed other functions, like Alt-Tab.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 01:55   #453

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Sorry, I'm stubborn and I do not understand what to do.

With the original version of 411108 OpenCPN:

If the "check box", the options concerning the menu bar is not checked, the Alt key has no effect.
If the "check box", the options is checked, the "Alt" key has a strange effect. The item "Navigate" change of colour. But not other effect.

For me, in each case, the "Alt key" do not run.

What do you understand by "Alt Tab" ?

If I use "Alt tab" with my Lenovo U41, W 8.1, by example, If I have 3 sofware running, like firefox, Thunderbird and O, If I use the combination of "Alt + Tab", a small window opens that shows the screens of all software assets. He then just use the arrow keys to display the window of another program.

Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 02:15   #454

Gille..
re:"If the "check box", the options is checked, the "Alt" key has a strange effect. The item "Navigate" change of colour. But not other effect." >>>When you now have made the bar active use the arrow keys to move around! That's the effect.

Alt-Tab is a common key combination to change focus between running programs. Last used is first choice. Tap the Tab to step through them.
Old 14-12-2015, 02:59   #455

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef

Hakan

re
"No, and as said some posts above, this was changed, long ago, since it disturbed other functions, like Alt-Tab"

Ok Thanks
I've missed that sorry.
But it is unfortunate, it was a nice feature in 4.0
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 03:47   #456

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Re MenuBar. Sorry not aware of the change due to conflict with alt-tab. Would it be possible to make alt-M or something else pop up the menu as described in the documentation? It is very useful to control AIS settings quickly and easily.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 04:50   #457

Dave,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptizef View Post
Dave, Gilletarom

With the same package built from very last git on W10/VS2013, I can confirm that "Alt" doesn't work.
It doesn't work either with a built on Vista/vs2010

For the chartdownloader it's a bit more complicated (tested only with the w10/vs2013 package)
Sometime it works, sometime not. When I say "works" I mean I can download charts.
I think I have isolated a case when it doesn't work
- start O
- open the plugin
- exit the plugin by "OK" or "Cancel"
then in this O session, impossible to start loading
I get (0/unknow) and it stays like that until I cancel loading
Jean Pierre
Latest commit fixes the pluging issue (the connect stuff) but on linux with wx 3.0 I'm still seeing memory corruption:
- open OCPN
- open the options dialog box, open chart, open vector chart display
- cancel
- reopen the dialog box
- cf picture, the mariner's standard list display is corrupted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture du 2015-12-14 04:11:30.png
Views:	123
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	114995  
did-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 05:06   #458

did-g
For me on Win I've to chose "Mariner's standard" in the drop down box before the display list is usable.
Old 14-12-2015, 06:05   #459

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Re: Menubar - On tracker FS#1923 : UI Change Shortcut ALT = MENUBAR toggle -Change to ALT+M=Menubar

Checked Opencpn Shortcuts Documentation shows:
"Menu Bar Alt Toggle if Show Menu is unchecked."

Checked other shortcuts and ALT-M is not used. Seems appropriate for this.

- Sorry for the diversion. Thanks everyone.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 06:13   #460

Hi,
There're some small issues, but IMO highly visible an highly confusing for the user, related to the piano.

config: linux 32 bits, AMD openGL, zoom to cursor, preserve scale

- a bug, cf picture:
for the piano the chart is not displayed (dark green).

- a bug:
if there's no PLY (Argentina RNCs) the ownship position in the thumbnail is wrong (OCPN is using uninitialized values)

- a chart selected with the piano in quilt mode is removed from the quilt and is not redisplayed if it doesn't contains the viewport center after zooming in.
eg: you select a chart, zoom in an it's replaced with an overzoom smaller scale chart (could be a bug).

- selecting a chart with the piano which is not in the viewport with the new scale is rather confusing, maybe they should not be shown in the piano.
eg: a 3 000 000 and a 20 000 charts, for a 2 000 000 viewport both are in the piano but if you click on the 20 000 chart and it's not visible in the new 15 000 viewport you end with a big overzoom 3 000 000 chart.

- on my small computer the zoom out limit is way too high for vector charts ( both the *80 in adjustzoom and that cm93 with a very small scale is in the stack). It's slow and it reaches some kind of openGL user limits leading to other programs display corruption (like the windows manager), easy to reproduce with the 1/5000 grid Netherlands charts.

- moreover when there's big holes in the scale coverage it can lead to speed issue with zooming.
eg:
display the US east coast vector at a 15 000 000 scale, somehow manage to zoom in with the cursor on a point with only a 40 000 chart and OCPN will try to load and display the whole east coast charts catalog. Not easy to trigger though.

- the order in the piano is more or less random for charts with the same scale, may be they could be sorted, top to bottom left to right?

- home made charts scales are rarely round and they are selected in what looks like random.
eg : a two rows grid with the first row scale slightly smaller than the second row.
Hard to figure out why the first row is displayed or not when selecting charts, zooming in or zooming out. May be the chart scale could be round (but by how much) in Compose selection logic?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture du 2015-12-11 22:56:43.png
Views:	105
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	114996  
Old 14-12-2015, 06:21   #461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
did-g
For me on Win I've to chose "Mariner's standard" in the drop down box before the display list is usable.
Same here but the display is corrupted, the list should be only greyed. Something in the new options initialization in the background is badly corruption wx memory, I've also seen OCPN stuck in wxExecute on startup (when calling /usr/bin/stat program on serial device).
Old 14-12-2015, 06:50   #462
Marine Service Provider

Hakan...

Re ALT key.

OK, so what are Rick and Gilletarom speaking about?

e.g.

Yes,
ALT no longer works for MENUBAR on Windows (it used to work for me Win7)

I'm confused. Anyway, I pushed tonight a small change that might fix the problem, if I understand correctly. I'm rattled....
Would someone(Rick/Gilletarom/Hakan) please explain in simple words what, if anything, is broken about the Alt key?

Also, I concur with your testing of chart downloader PlugIn. I see the same issues. So I pushed some corrections for this tonight as well, and it now works OK for me, even with very poor internet connection. You can now safely cancel the entire Setting dialog while a transfer is in process, and it behaves nicely.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 07:34   #463
Marine Service Provider

didier...

re:
Something in the new options initialization in the background is badly corruption wx memory, I've also seen OCPN stuck in wxExecute on startup (when calling /usr/bin/stat program on serial device).

More detail, please, if you can catch it.

I think it is important to figure out what it takes to make options dialog and its children serially reenterable. That is an expensive dialog to build from scratch.

Thanks
Dave
Old 14-12-2015, 07:50   #464

Dave
re:"OK, so what are Rick and Gilletarom speaking about?"
As I understand it they are talking about the previous Alt key function that drop-down/opened the menu bar and there was no tools-option. You changed that to present function in a early stage of this 4.1 beta, during the Android period. In my opinion nothing has recently changed.

Chart downloader, Win10 VS2013 todays fetch.
Now it's not working. The Internet connection is not established, it stays as on attached picture.
It was working fine two or three days ago.

Could these log entries be from the plugin?
Code:
3:59:31 PM: Error: Cannot wait for thread termination (error 6: referensen (handle) 岠felaktig.)
3:59:31 PM: Error: Couldn't terminate thread (error 6: referensen (handle) 岠felaktig.)
Note: the log has a cryptic Swedish text like: "xE4r felaktig" in English it would read "is wrong" but the SW should be "är felaktig". Must be Windows ASKII something?

Håkan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chartloader.PNG
Views:	113
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	114999  
Old 14-12-2015, 08:09   #465
Marine Service Provider

Hakan...

OK on the ALT key. I will stop worrying about it. sigh...

On the downloader:

It is working for me on Win7. There are maybe still some synchronization troubles.

Can you tell me the exact series of actions that you are making. e.g. Start from scratch, then abort, or cancel, or just wait, or what?

Thanks
Dave

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn