Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2013, 23:05   #1

Boat: Island Packet 40
OpenCPN, Asus eee PC, Crunchbang Linux

Hi,

A friend gave me a couple of fairly old Asus eee PC's. One of them has Windows XP and is running an early version of OpenCPN very successfully. The second has Crunchbang Linux as the operating system and I would like to keep it.

Question, can I put OpenCPN on the Crunchbang Linux unit? If so, which version of OpenCPN and, where do I download it from?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 06:03   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: OpenCPN, Asus eee PC, Crunchbang Linux

RaymondR...
Crunchbang is Debian. Follow the instructions on the download page. If it's Crunchbang 11, it's Wheezy, if older, most likely Squeeze.

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 07:22   #3

Re: OpenCPN, Asus eee PC, Crunchbang Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Hi,

A friend gave me a couple of fairly old Asus eee PC's. One of them has Windows XP and is running an early version of OpenCPN very successfully. The second has Crunchbang Linux as the operating system and I would like to keep it.

Question, can I put OpenCPN on the Crunchbang Linux unit? If so, which version of OpenCPN and, where do I download it from?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
How old? I have a pair of eee 701's - the first ones with the 7" screens and a 4 GB solid-state drive. I also have one of the newer eee's with a 10" screen.

I mainly run Linux on all of them. I now have crunchbang on one of the older ones and it runs well. As nohal explained, it's easy to install OpenCpn on crunchbang.

Have you tried Navigatrix? This is a "marine" oriented distro with OpenCpn and a slew of other marine apps already installed and configured. It runs nicely on the eee's.

I have Navigatrix plus some charts installed onto an 8 GB SDHC card. This means that I can make any laptop or netbook a nav PC by just booting onto that card.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, linux, opencpn