Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2019, 05:33   #1

opencpn android app do not find map directory

Hi everyone
I have been using opencpn and CM93 cards on a Win7/Win10 Notbook on my sailing boat for many years without any problems.
Now I bought a Android-Samsung TabS5 as a back-up, downloaded the (payed version) opencpn-android-app and installed the CM93 nav-charts once in the internal memory, CM93 directory and also on an SD card in the Android-CM93 directory.
All attempts to get the cards into the apps-card directory and then onto the screen failed. The app cannot find the cards. The function “scan cards” - renew database”, or “rebuild entire database”, do not work either.
Can anyone help me further? What's going wrong?
Where can I find a manual for opencpn Android app (the normal open cpn manual does not help because other displays and functions)
Thanks to all for your support
Kjaloha
Kjaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 07:39   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: opencpn android app do not find map directory

K...

re:
"installed the CM93 nav-charts once in the internal memory,"

How did you do that, and where exactly did you place the cm93 dataset?
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 07:47   #3

Boat: Najad 34

Kjaloha..
After having saved chart files in a folder, for example ..../Charts/CM93/, you've to tell OpenCPN where the CM93 folder is located by Options->Charts->Chart files->Add directory and point to your CM93 folder.
In this matter a PC and Android is the same so read the manual although menus are slightly different in version 5.0: https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...hart_files_tab
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 10:48   #4

Hi Hakan
Thanks for your reply. I know this procedure... I have made it that way as you describe.. But unfortunatly It do not work, the app do not find the directory, why? I have placed in the internal memory one directory CM93, in this directory I copied all chart files, in the opencpn app I click "charts", chart files, add directory, I chose in the main memory the directory "CM93", I click OK the it shows /storage/emulated/0/CM93, I go to down to the 2 actualisations, then OK, in the background I see something going on for 1 second, but nothing happens, no charts on the cpn screen..
Looking foreward, regards
Kjaloha
Old 13-12-2019, 10:52   #5

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

you may have to allow access to files and fotòs for the app to access the storage.
Old 13-12-2019, 10:52   #6

Hi Dave
Thank you for your reply, I try to answer to your questions:

Internal Memory,
1st. I made an new directory, named CM93, then I copied all CM93 files from the Notebook-HD in to this file. I made 1 picture from the Samsung screen where you can see the "root"

SD-card,
first step, was, I made in the SD-card also 1 new directory, named CM93 and I copied all CM93 files as above 2nd step, I copied the complete CM93 file in the the directory "Android", You can see tthis also on the attached picture from the Tablet screen

I hope, this answers will help to come clearer...

Best regards

Jurg / Kjaloha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191213_170214.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	380.5 KB
ID:	204967   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191213_170117.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	385.6 KB
ID:	204968  

Old 13-12-2019, 13:01   #7

Boat: Najad 34

1. Android OpenCPN can very well use CM93. So if not seen after a chart data base update there may be some failures in you files? The complete CM93 is about 1 GB in size. Check that.
2. You've spread CM93 around. Try to point to one of the CM93 folders on the external SD card instead of the internal card. Delete /storage/emulated/0/CM93 from OCPN chart list and add one from the SD if that's better. One at the time. But again check the folder size.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 13:40   #8

Hi Hakan
thanks for your guide, I have only the CM93 folder on the SD card. All other folders with charts are deleted, also the directory in the charts/chart files.
I have tryed to add a new directory from the SD card CM93 folder by:
add new directory, SDCard,CM93, OK, opencpn needs access to SC Card- OK, new "blue screen comes" showing on the top CM93 on the left side all subdirectories and below rightside "chose" in blue. I click on chose, the SDcard permission granted, OK, I click OK I click on < Back, there is no directories...
I do not get any directory in the charts/chart files...
Old 13-12-2019, 16:21   #9
Marine Service Provider

Kj...

Let us focus on the internal memory first. You seem to have a 64GB device, so space should be no problem.
If it will not add the cm93 by "normal" OCPN methods, we will need to look at your logfile. You may find it from the toolbar "?" icon, it will be something like:
"storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.opencpn.opencpn/files/opencpn.log,"
or something close to that. Please try to rebuild database, and then extract and post the log from that session here.

Thanks
Dave
Old 14-12-2019, 01:05   #10

Dave
Thanks again,

The logfile I found by using"?" are
-Logfile location:/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.opencpn.opencpn/files/opencpn.log

The config file location: /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.opencpn.opencpn/files/opencpn.conf

When I go to add chart directory from the SDcard, the only directory I have now is CM93, the screen shows Current directory: /storage/3CCC-2C34/CM93, I click OK, then the message opens "OpenCPN needs permission to access...., I click OK
A complete new window opens (blue on the top) in the blue line is CM93, below are alle chart subdirectories, and on the right down is a butten in blue "chose" , I click on this butten, then it opens a little black window in the center, "SDCard permissen granted", OK, I click OK and I have the same screen as I had first.
When I click OK (down on the right with the green hook), again I come in the same circuit asking OpenCPN needs permissen...
If I click "Back" I have the screen where I started to add "niew directory" and there is NO directory entered...
Thanks for your further help
Kjaloha
Old 14-12-2019, 04:44   #11
Marine Service Provider

Kj...

Please try to add the cm93 directory as found in internal memory. This should not require the "OpenCPN needs permission..." dialog.

Thanks
Dave
Old 14-12-2019, 07:41   #12

Hi Dave
I did it as you recommended to me.
GREAT, NEW FEELING, THE CHARTS are on the screen, as they are by using my notebook...
Thank you once again for your support.
Have a great week end and best regards
Kjaloha/Jurg

Tags
enc, opencpn