Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2016, 06:30   #1

OpenCPN Android

Question:

I have installed the Android version of OpenCpn on my Samsung Galaxy Tablet. Under the Application Manager I have the OpenCpn App located on my SD card.

I would like to install charts on the SD card rather than tie-up device memory, but can't find a way to do it. I have tried to create a new chart directory with OpenCPN (/SD card/Charts), but my screen just locks up when I say OK.

I would also like to keep my gpx waypoints/routes on the SD card as well, but again cannot get OpenCpn to see the SD card.

Any directions or ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Prairie 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 06:45   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: OpenCPN Android

OpenCPN Android Forum - OpenCPN for Android Version 1
Gyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 20:40   #3

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie 36 View Post
Question:

I have installed the Android version of OpenCpn on my Samsung Galaxy Tablet. Under the Application Manager I have the OpenCpn App located on my SD card.

I would like to install charts on the SD card rather than tie-up device memory, but can't find a way to do it. I have tried to create a new chart directory with OpenCPN (/SD card/Charts), but my screen just locks up when I say OK.

I would also like to keep my gpx waypoints/routes on the SD card as well, but again cannot get OpenCpn to see the SD card.

Take a look at my 'tutorial'. Download here.

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 20:43   #4

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Take a look at my 'tutorial'. Download here.

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 10:17   #5

Thanks for the response. I have followed your tutorial. My challenge is I have copied the Charts file onto my SdCard. I can see all the files on my card via My Files app. Unfortunately my OpenCPN does not see the SdCard. If I try to add a directory as: /storage/extSdCard/Charts the OpenCPN app just locks up. I have also tried an uninstall and reinstalled with the same outcome. Again, I am running a Samsung S2 9.7 tablet that I have had about a month. Other Apps as Polais Office gives you the option of where to look for files: device or sdcard

Any ideas?
Old 21-03-2016, 15:25   #6

Boat: Gemini 3200

Have you tried moving OpenCPN to the SD card? Beginning with Android 4.0 the SD card became inaccessible for data storage. The new approach is that data associated with apps reside in the app's folder. So if you want the app to use data on the SD card the app has to be on the SD card. The idea is that the app owns the data and if you remove the app the data will be removed as well so there won't be a lot of orphaned files on your device. It's a different paradigm than we are used to where the user owns the data and the apps are merely tools we use to manipulate it. The Android paradigm is less powerful than the computer paradigm but it probably makes sense for naive phone users.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 02:59   #7

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
I have installed the Android version of OpenCpn on my Samsung Galaxy Tablet. Under the Application Manager I have the OpenCpn App located on my SD card....
Sounds like the OP already has the app on the SD card, along with his charts.

Also, Android 4.x does allow apps to pull data from the SD card even if the app itself is in device memory. The only restriction is that apps can't write to the SD card. For instance, I have VLC Media player in my phone memory, but several GB of music and movies on my SD card. The app finds those files and plays them just fine.

In any case, there seems to be some other problem here. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 05:20   #8

I have tried moving the OpenCPN from the device Android/data to the sdcard. Doubled checked to make sure no OpenCPN was left on the device and all was on the sdcard. My Applications Manager also indicates OpenCpn is on the sdcard.

The OpenCPN app opens normally, but the directory choice is still device only. Then, if I go back to my file manager, after opening OpenCPN; OpenCPN some how returns to the device/android/data. ???? All the same data is also still residing on the sdcard as well.

Thanks for the help guys. Any more ideas?
Old 22-03-2016, 11:48   #9

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Prarie 36, have you tried installing the android app normally, then going into settings apps and finding where you can simply push a button to move portions of the app onto the second micro card? This is a standard thing for android system. I have moved a fairly sizeable amount of program data and saved disk this way.
It is what I've done. Sorry havent described the menus accurately.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 12:56   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

You have looked for the files in the wrong directory. Various Android versions show external cards in various places. Your charts are likely fine but you are looking for them in the wrong place.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 13:52   #11

Thank you for your time and advise. I have installed it normally and then gone to Settings/Applications/Application manager/OpenCPN and hit the Move To SD Card button. It seems no matter what I do, between Android & OpenCPN will not give me a option as to where to store the data. Guess I need to just go back to the basics and learn more about the Android. Again, thanks for the help and advise.
Old 22-03-2016, 17:52   #12

Now I am understanding you want to load charts on the extSD Card.
I have written how to do this before. Lets try to find where....

From this search
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rchid=11393814

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1925706

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1924701

And here it is:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1924660
Old 27-03-2016, 11:53   #13

Thanks everyone for the info and support. I reloaded the OpenCpn, once installed move it to SdCard via Applications Manager; then from the OpenCpn settings - Charts - Chart Files I was able to create a directory /storage/extSdCard/Charts. Next, I either created or made sure the same directory /storage/extSdCard/Charts was under Tools - Charts and the Chart Downloader.

The only problem when using the Chart Downloader directly to the SdCard the zip files do not automatically open and that becomes tedious unzipping each file. For me, I think, it's going to be easier just to copy my charts from my PC which is quick and no problem. Each time I update my charts on my PC, I will just recopy them to tablets SdCard.

Again, thanks for the support and advise.

Two other questions though. Should I be using the Free Android version or the $10 version or does it make any different? Also, are there any other Plugins available for the Android version of OpenCpn and if so, where do you find them?
Old 27-03-2016, 15:25   #14

Pairie36 yes it much easier to update your charts via USB using your PC!
Faster and less hastle.

Glad you succeeded in installing and moving your program to the extSD with App Manager.
Old 27-03-2016, 16:21   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

Re free vs. paid versions of programs.

My take is that I use free versions for testing and play. If I find an App to be good and if I use it regularly, I buy paid version of the Play.

I think if we do not pay for the software we use we are making it a very miserable existence for the people who write the App. Even if and when plenty of programming work is done with passion and out of the very need of the programmer to express themselves in what they are best at, at the end of the day every body needs a cold beer and a plate of fish and chips (unless you are in NZ, off course).

So all other things equal, I say test the free version, use the paid one.

Just my personal view, I hope others may share my sentiment to some extent.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn