Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 09:28   #1

Boat: Gib'Sea 472
OpenCPN and Atom CPU?

I want to tank the writer of opencpn for the best program ever. I have just bearly tried it on a laptop with Ubuntu and a 60CSX on my sailboat. A gib'sea 472. Now I'm looking for a power saving computer and a waterproof screen. I think I have found the screen which is within normal price range. ( Rugged LCD Monitors - Vi kan Robust! )

But to the question: Most powersaving computers are small computers with Atom CPU. I have noticed that OpenCPN like to use CPU sometimes. or maybe I need a faster harddrive. Can anyone who have tried the atom cpu and opencpn give a field report on the speed? Is it enough? Do I need a SSD disk instead of a normal for speed?

Regards Amadeus
amadeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:39   #2

From OpenCPN FAQs - the developer's website:

Quote:
[OpenCPN] will run acceptably on as little as a 300 Mhz Pentium-II Windows-98 computer.
Your Atom CPU is plenty powerful enough. A standard hard disk drive is fine too, although there's nothing stopping you from using a solid state drive if you want to.
ColdFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:07   #3

Hi,

I'm running OpenCPN on an Acer Aspire one which uses the atom CPU. I've used both BSB and cm93 charts with satisfying results.

Kind regards
Johan
johan_ande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 14:29   #4

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
That monitor is horrendously expensive! Would be easier getting a fresh cheap one every month
Old 01-11-2009, 16:01   #5

Expensive :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
That monitor is horrendously expensive! Would be easier getting a fresh cheap one every month

Hehe. It's a Norwegian shop with Norwegian currency. It's about 1490,- $. I agree, still expencive, but the alternatives with that spec is much more expencive. (best offer I have seen so far) I guess without the Norwegian tax, I could get it cheaper. but then again, I need it before I start cruising for serious.
Old 01-11-2009, 19:15   #6

Boat: Privilege 39
OpenCPN runs great on our ASUS EeePC, which is Atom powered. Runs great with BSB, S57, and CM93-2 charts...
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:24   #7

Boat: Koopmans, 33 ft cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
Hehe. It's a Norwegian shop with Norwegian currency. It's about 1490,- $. I agree, still expencive, but the alternatives with that spec is much more expencive. (best offer I have seen so far) I guess without the Norwegian tax, I could get it cheaper. but then again, I need it before I start cruising for serious.
Looks like a great monitor.
I see that the brightness of the monitor is 1100 cd/m2 (that's probably the maximum) and the power consumption (operational) is less than 17Watt. Does operational mean at maximum brightness or at a lower setting and, if so, can you still read the screen in sunlight?

Zoef

Zoef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 14:38   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoef View Post
Looks like a great monitor.
I see that the brightness of the monitor is 1100 cd/m2 (that's probably the maximum) and the power consumption (operational) is less than 17Watt. Does operational mean at maximum brightness or at a lower setting and, if so, can you still read the screen in sunlight?

Zoef

Ill post as soon as I get it.