Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-08-2011, 06:35   #1

Boat: 50' catamaran
OpenCPN - Anchor Watch

Why can only 2 marks be set as anchor watch?
It will be most usefull to have several more.

Revelations is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 09:58   #2

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: OpenCPN - Anchor watch

Originally Posted by MooseMoney View Post
Why can only 2 marks be set as anchor watch?
It will be most useful to have several more.
Because Piotr hacked this feature fairly quickly, and then the development stopped......
Are you really looking for more "Anchor" alarms or do you mean a general proximity alarm for waypoints?
Anyhow, have a look at this tread The Most Popular Feature Requests - Cruisers & Sailing Forums, and help us find the most popular "missing features".

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 04:40   #3

Re: OpenCPN - Anchor Watch

Well, when I was hacking the anchor watch there was no Route Manager yet, so waypoints were hard to locate otherwise than by looking at the chart. I wanted to avoid the situation, where there are alarms set, perhaps forgotten, which are hard to see. The secondary reason was the belief that too many alarms lead to excessive complexity of the situation. With the Route Manager available, this limitation can certainly be relaxed, or perhaps removed, or made a settable .ini value...

The second limitation, 1000 meters max alarm distance, came from my preliminary experience in testing, showing that with the current alarm mechanism, alarms centered far away from own ship are not always easy to identify without rezooming (i.e. if the radius of the ragged shape exceeds some value, it is hard to see, what the alarm is, without rezooming and looking around). This may be a personal preference, but I still feel that some limit should be kept here (maybe an .ini parameter again?).

I am at anchor now off La Gomera in the Canaries, with a single anchorwatch set at 50 meters...

Next month I will be on firm land again, and I plan to improve perhaps 3 things in anchorwatch:

- allow more watch points (how many are needed? 3? 4? an array of N?)
- allow larger max watch distance (static limit? how big? .ini parameter?)
- if setting the watch on an empty waypoint (distance now would be 0), assume some default value (settable in .ini, or say 50 meters).

Suggestions welcome.

PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 06:18   #4

Boat: 50' catamaran
Re: OpenCPN - Anchor Watch

Firstly, I am extremely GRATEFUL for your effort! This feature already is a tremendous help and certainly much better than having no anchor alarm. It must have been complex without adding any further functions. Thank you very much for what you have done!

I for one, would like to see more anchors alarms for reasons of plotting possible obstructions within the anchor zone. Whilst it is impossible to estimate how many anchor alarms one would require for every eventuality, another 2 - 4 would help tremendously.
Revelations is online now   Reply With Quote

anchor, opencpn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: