Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2019, 16:29   #1

Boat: Uniflite 42 Double Cabin Sedan
OpenCPN 5 and Run error message "0xc000001d"

Hey all ... I'm having some trouble getting OpenCPN 5.0.0+9065270 to run following installation on XP Pro SP3 (see error message pic, attached) ... I think it might have something to do with the fact that I do not yet have Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (I have [versions through] .NET Framework v3.5 SP1 successfully installed to date) on the target machine that is currently internet isolated ... I have to come home from my boat to download whatever it is I need and then try stuff again on the next visit to the boat.

I looked at the OpenCPN Installation FAQ here but don't see installation problemos / troubleshooting mentioned.

I also ran Google searches for 'OpenCPN 5 and error message 0xc000001d' and 'OpenCPN 5 and error message "0xc000001d"', however, there was only one link that came up on the 2nd search string and it took me down a black hole of redirects that I felt I needed to bail on.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, FFF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191019_165644.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	358.1 KB
ID:	202034  
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 16:46   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: OpenCPN 5 and Run error message "0xc000001d"

Geez, Win XP is ancient now and it's hard to find any modern software that will happily run on it.

That error is possibly a generic windows error caused by incompatible system dll's and sometimes running sfc /scannow in a command prompt window will identify an issue and fix it.

Good luck!
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 17:11   #3

Thanks Reefmagnet ... yeah ... I have major PC / s/w upgrades to contemplate ... however, for now, I'm just trying to get an old Dell system I inherited (positioned at LH station with feeds to a f/b LED monitor & wireless keyboard / mouse) on its' feet (it's currently running Rose Point Coastal Explorer 1.1.61 in conjunction with integrated GPS and AIS receiver [only] feeds) so I can have something more to fall back on navigation-wise ... aside from the expired Navionics HD on my phone, my old f/b Raytheon / RAYCHART RC520 Chartplotter, and, of course, paper charts & books.

I'll keep your sfc /scannow idea in mind ... thanks for that one ... I think I'll try to get .NET Framework 4.0.3 on there to start with.

FFF
Old 24-10-2019, 17:34   #4

Boat: Valiant 42

It’s either a missing or incompatible DLL. It could be you need a Microsoft redistributable runtime. I am not sure which one you need for XP3.

You can try this one. It’s harmless to install I believe.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=48145
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 20:19   #5

Thanks transmitterdan ... another good tip ... 'Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015' eh? I'll take it with me to the boat as well.

FFF
Old 24-10-2019, 21:07   #6

Boat: C&C 29 MkI

That old Dell will run fine with the install of a current installation of just about any Linux distro. I would install Linux Mint current 32bit long term support version (good to 2030 I think) and then install current OpenCPN. Another option would be to fall by Target and spring @ $38 for the latest Raspberry Pi which blows the doors off any old PC and go from there. Anything else is a wast of effort and time.
fdr14127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 21:18   #7

Thanks fdr14127 for the advice ... I'll definitely consider your suggestions.

That Raspberry Pi is interesting ... I was, 'til now, oblivious.

FFF
Old 24-10-2019, 23:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdr14127 View Post
That old Dell will run fine with the install of a current installation of just about any Linux distro. I would install Linux Mint current 32bit long term support version (good to 2030 I think)

Support for Mint is always 5 Years.

Current stable release 19.x (based on Ubuntu 18.XX) is supported until 2023. https://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php

But the next LTS will come in spring 2020. And normally it is not difficult to do a dist-upgrade. However, that remains with 32Bit. Ubuntu does not build images with 32Bit anymore.
BlackSea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 02:19   #9

Second (or is it third?) the vote for a Mint upgrade. I dusted off a netbook with Win XP on it recently and was dismayed to find that it is basically useless when it comes to running current software. Unless you have a whole bunch of legacy stuff to run, it's a stone cold dead OS.

Mint was originally targeted as an alternative OS for those not wanting to leave XP for Vista so it is, by design, XP like. Performance is also pretty crisp with the Mate desktop on older hardware too. One caveat is that not all necessary drivers may be available for older low end devices (like netbooks!), so do a quick Google for compatibility prior to making the switch.
Old 25-10-2019, 09:15   #10

Thanks BlackSea and Reefmagnet ... lots to think about ... I never really would have considered going the Linux route but I will say that I am pretty much disgusted with Win 10 Pro 64-bit due to the issues that I have experienced / am experiencing with a relatively new Lenovo P70 notebook PC at home ... that experience has been stopping me from embracing Microsoft's current and future OS' ...

FFF
Old 26-10-2019, 05:04   #11

I don't mind Windows 10 in its current form for work, I just don't like it for use as a component of a boat's system. I have 4 boat computers. Two are running mint, one is running Windows 7 and the other, a raspberry pi, is running raspian. One of the mint machines is exactly the same spec as the win 7 machine and the only real advantage of windows over Linux in comparison is the ability to run some configuration software (proais2 being a good example) that is not available for Linux. Other than that, linux has an edge if you're prepared to invest some time in learning it nuances.
Old 27-10-2019, 20:58   #12

Well, Reefmagnet ... you seem to have a fair bit of computer overhead to maintain there ... myself, I have so many other issues to deal with o/b, I can't go down the rabbit hole of renewing the o/b PC system or getting involved with new OS' and the associated learning curve(s) ...

To the issue at hand, I have succeeded in installing Microsft .NET Framework 4.0.3 and Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 on the old Dell XP Pro SP3 32-bit PC, however, OpenCPN still fails to run ... with the same error described earlier in this thread ... I tried 'sfc /scannow' from a Cmd prompt but Windows File Protection repeatedly seeks files from the OS installation CD, something I did not think to take with me to the boat ... it occurs to me that sfc just might try to overwrite newer DLLs with old ones from the CD ... I'll have to check and search online to see if this is a valid concern of mine or not ...

I'm also starting to wonder if this error issue has something to do with physical system resources ... perhaps there are minimum memory or CPU requirements for OpenCPN 5.0 ... the old Dell has a modest Pentium 3 1GHz CPU and only 512MB of SDRAM ...

FFF
Old 28-10-2019, 05:22   #13

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstien View Post
Well, Reefmagnet ... you seem to have a fair bit of computer overhead to maintain there ... myself, I have so many other issues to deal with o/b, I can't go down the rabbit hole of renewing the o/b PC system or getting involved with new OS' and the associated learning curve(s) ...

To the issue at hand, I have succeeded in installing Microsft .NET Framework 4.0.3 and Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 on the old Dell XP Pro SP3 32-bit PC, however, OpenCPN still fails to run ... with the same error described earlier in this thread ... I tried 'sfc /scannow' from a Cmd prompt but Windows File Protection repeatedly seeks files from the OS installation CD, something I did not think to take with me to the boat ... it occurs to me that sfc just might try to overwrite newer DLLs with old ones from the CD ... I'll have to check and search online to see if this is a valid concern of mine or not ...

I'm also starting to wonder if this error issue has something to do with physical system resources ... perhaps there are minimum memory or CPU requirements for OpenCPN 5.0 ... the old Dell has a modest Pentium 3 1GHz CPU and only 512MB of SDRAM ...

FFF
Did you connect this computer to the internet and get all the updates for Windows XP? I think that is also a requirement.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 13:29   #14

transmitterdan ... my marina, Point Roberts Marina in WA state, shut down Wi-Fi for moorage clients (of which I am one, having ponied up my annual moorage fees in March for a 01APR19-31MAR20 period with a clear understanding that Wi-Fi was an included service ... as part of a seperate annual utility fee that does not include metered electrical usage) at the end of August, 2019, blaming Delta Cable (Eastlink.ca) in Canada ... even though PTRM still has an internet connection to their main office building complex ... I think the cessation of Wi-Fi has more to do with cost-cutting measures by recent new owners of the marina, who seem disinclined to maintain or repair the marina infrastructure ...

... that being said, no, I have not dismantled the system to bring it home (I live in Canada, eight blocks N of the 49th) for updating, as suggested ... my understanding is that because Win XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, no updating would be available or occur with a machine in need of same - am I perhaps mistaken in this assumption?

I have found that I can get the major updates on this machine (SP's, 1 through 3, ect.) by downloading standalone installation packages at home and transporting them on a USB stick to the boat and target machine, which has been, and is still, internet isolated.
I had thought to google search some sort of cummulative updating package for XP put together by a third party ... however, if an internet-connected XP machine will still pull down critical updates via the Windows or Microsoft Update interface, perhaps it would be worth it to simply bring this PC home into Canada with me ... much as I am loathe to do (due mostly to potential customs and border issues ... out of the U.S. into Canada and then back).

FFF
Old 18-11-2019, 12:50   #15

... update ... I was able to successfully run sfc /scannow ... twice ... from a Win XP SP3 (slip-streamed) installation disc ... this had no effect on the ability to run OpenCPN 5 ... it still fails with the same error as described in my first post ...

I have tried to get Windows/Microsoft Update to pull down updates on a different XP SP3 system I have at home but it just scans/runs endlessly ... so ... I see little point in bringing the nav PC home for that purpose if updating the XP OS just isn't supported by Microsoft anymore ... not even critical updates ...

At this point, before I give up, I would like to confirm with the developer(s) (who seem to be otherwise inaccessible) and/or other users, that OpenCPN 5 will indeed run on Win XP SP3 32-bit ... if there are minimum processor features/technologies required, or, minimum graphics capabilities required, I'd appreciate some feedback on what those minimum requirements might be ... such, that, if there is a black & white technological roadblock to running OpenCPN 5 on the target system, I can then move on to alternative computing platforms ... otherwise, at some point, I have to assume OpenCPN 5 and XP are just incompatible.

FFF

Tags
enc, opencpn