Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2019, 00:03   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cyprus
Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000 53'
Posts: 52
Re: opencpn 5.0 creating large routes results in crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
For info is there a another user having
UHD Graphics 630
Experience the same as Biggles.
After a lot: "All chart in cache locked, size: 5" in the log it ends up with "VBO Error B 1280" e.g. OpenGl buffer overrun and O crash.
The Intel UHD Graphics may need some attention?
Thanks Hakan,

it's actually an Intel UHD 620 graphics card that I have. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the card and get different results in the log. Vertex buffers are now being used, but the prog still crashes on zoom out. Would you like me to post the log? It will have to be this evening as I am needed at the gliding club now.

Regards

Ian (Biggles)
__________________

Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 07:49   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7
Re: opencpn 5.0 creating large routes results in crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
It would seem that the problem lies in compatibility with newer hardware, as I would guess your computers are Flavio?
Hi,
In my case actually the problem was really only caused by the option touch screen enabled. That fix is under way, as I understand. At the moment, I have disabled that option and the program is behaving flawlessly, even when I use It with several plugin enabled, like climatology, weather routing, draw, etc.

So at the moment, I am not experiencing any issue with opencpn v5.

My hardware is decently new. It's a surface 4. The OS has been kept up to date.

I hope you too can find the way to make it run smoothly.
Cheers,
__________________

Flaviotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 11:12   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cyprus
Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000 53'
Posts: 52
Re: opencpn 5.0 creating large routes results in crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Nohal,

I already tried that but when installing the driver from Intel it warns that it is not compatible and should not be installed as Dell modify the drivers to suit their hardware. There is no new driver update from Dell.

In any case, the log shows VBO errors leading up to the crash, so I am guessing that the UHD620 graphics card is not compatible with the OpenGL software used by OpenCPN. (Error is VBO C: 1280). Maybe someone can explain what this means?

Thanks for your suggestion.

Cheers
Nohan,

I deleted the 'Dell' UHD 620 driver and forced the latest Intel driver onto my Dell XPS. It took it OK, but the problem remains. When I zoom out, the program always crashes. I am uploading now the latest log in my reply to Harkan. Maybe it will suggest something that I should try.

Regards

Ian (Biggles)
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 11:15   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cyprus
Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000 53'
Posts: 52
Re: opencpn 5.0 creating large routes results in crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaviotti View Post
Hi,
In my case actually the problem was really only caused by the option touch screen enabled. That fix is under way, as I understand. At the moment, I have disabled that option and the program is behaving flawlessly, even when I use It with several plugin enabled, like climatology, weather routing, draw, etc.

So at the moment, I am not experiencing any issue with opencpn v5.

My hardware is decently new. It's a surface 4. The OS has been kept up to date.

I hope you too can find the way to make it run smoothly.
Cheers,
Flavio,

my XPS is 4 months old. I have the same problem whether touch screen is enabled or not. Switching to Intel's latest graphics driver has not helped. I am glad that you have got your working.

Cheers

Ian (Biggles)
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 11:21   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cyprus
Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000 53'
Posts: 52
Re: opencpn 5.0 creating large routes results in crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Thanks Hakan,

it's actually an Intel UHD 620 graphics card that I have. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the card and get different results in the log. Vertex buffers are now being used, but the prog still crashes on zoom out. Would you like me to post the log? It will have to be this evening as I am needed at the gliding club now.

Regards

Ian (Biggles)
Hakan,

below is the log leading up to a zoom out crash. I hope this may help?

Regards

Ian

9:02:55 PM: Opencpn language load for: en_US
9:02:55 PM: Loading catalog for opencpn core.
9:02:55 PM: Getting DefaultSystemLocale...
9:02:55 PM: Found LanguageInfo for: English
9:02:55 PM: Opencpn language set to: en_US
9:02:55 PM: Loading Configs catalog: C:\ProgramData\opencpn\Configs\configs.xml
9:02:55 PM: Creating MyFrame...size(2688, 1449) position(-18, -18)
9:02:55 PM: Creating glChartCanvas
9:02:56 PM: Metrics: m_display_size_mm: 294 wxDisplaySize: 3840:2160
9:02:56 PM: Loading Tide/Current data source: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\tcdata\HARMONIC.IDX
9:02:56 PM: OpenGL-> Renderer String: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620
9:02:56 PM: OpenGL-> Version reported: 4.5.0 - Build 26.20.100.6709
9:02:56 PM: OpenGL-> Detected Intel renderer, disabling stencil buffer
9:02:56 PM: OpenGL-> Texture rectangle format: de1
9:02:56 PM: OpenGL-> Using Vertexbuffer Objects
9:02:56 PM: OpenGL-> Using Framebuffer Objects
9:02:56 PM: OpenGL-> Using FBO Stencil buffer
9:02:56 PM: OpenGL-> Using Depth buffer clipping
9:02:56 PM: OpenGL-> Not Using compression
9:02:56 PM: OpenGL-> Minimum cartographic line width: 1.0
9:02:56 PM: OpenGL-> Minimum symbol line width: 1.0
9:02:56 PM: ChartSymbols loaded from C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\s57data\chartsymbols.xml
9:02:56 PM: Using s57data in C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\s57data
9:02:56 PM: ChartDB Cache policy: Application target is 1024 MBytes
9:02:56 PM: Loading chart db version: V018
9:02:56 PM: Chartdb: Chart directory list follows
9:02:56 PM: Chart directory #0: C:\Cmaps 2011\CM93
9:02:56 PM: GPS Watchdog Timeout is: 6 sec.
9:02:56 PM: OpenChartUsingCache, NOT in cache: cache size: 0
9:02:56 PM: OpenChartUsingCache: type 7 C:\Cmaps 2011\CM93\
9:02:56 PM: Creating new chart
9:02:56 PM: Initializing Chart C:\Cmaps 2011\CM93\
9:02:56 PM: CM93Composite Chart Root is C:\Cmaps 2011\CM93\
9:02:56 PM: Loaded CM93 Dictionary from C:\Cmaps 2011\CM93\
9:02:56 PM: Loading CM93 cell C:\Cmaps 2011\CM93\03300060\F\03740100.F
9:02:56 PM: OpenCPN Initialized in 779 ms.
9:02:56 PM: Loading CM93 cell C:\Cmaps 2011\CM93\03300060\E\03740100.E
9:02:56 PM: Loading CM93 cell C:\Cmaps 2011\CM93\03300060\E\03740101.E
9:02:56 PM: Loading CM93 cell C:\Cmaps 2011\CM93\03300060\D\03720099.D
9:02:56 PM: DPMM: 13.0612 ScaleFactorExp: 2.40822
9:02:56 PM: Looking for UserIcons at C:\ProgramData\opencpn\UserIcons
9:02:56 PM: Loading navobjects from navobj.xml
9:02:56 PM: Done loading navobjects, 0 duplicate waypoints ignored
9:02:57 PM: Opening NMEA Datastream Serial:COM5
9:02:57 PM: Opening NMEA Datastream Serial:COM16
9:02:57 PM: Opening NMEA Datastream Serial:COM9
9:02:57 PM: NMEA input device open failed: COM5
9:02:57 PM: NMEA input device open failed: COM16
9:02:57 PM: NMEA input device open failed: COM9
9:02:57 PM: PlugInManager: plugins loading from C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins
9:02:57 PM: PlugInManager searching for PlugIns in location C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins
9:02:57 PM: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\chartdldr_pi.dll
9:02:57 PM: PlugInManager: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\chartdldr_pi.dll
API Version detected: 113
PlugIn Version detected: 103
9:02:57 PM: chartdldr_pi: C:\Users\Skipper\Documents\Charts
9:02:57 PM: chartdldr_pi: C:\Users\Skipper\Documents\Charts
9:02:57 PM: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\wmm_pi.dll
9:02:57 PM: PlugInManager: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\wmm_pi.dll
API Version detected: 108
PlugIn Version detected: 101
9:02:57 PM: WMM: WMM model data loaded from file C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\wmm_pi\data\WMM.COF.
9:02:57 PM: Opencpn language load for: en_US
9:02:57 PM: Loading catalog for: opencpn-chartdldr_pi
9:02:57 PM: Loading catalog for: opencpn-wmm_pi
9:02:57 PM: Loading catalog for opencpn core.
9:02:57 PM: Getting DefaultSystemLocale...
9:02:57 PM: Found LanguageInfo for: English
9:02:58 PM: options: got device count: 1
9:02:59 PM: ***GPS Watchdog timeout at Lat:34.9173 Lon: 33.6411
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 13:20   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orust Sweden
Boat: Najad 34
Posts: 2,427
Re: opencpn 5.0 creating large routes results in crash

Ian..
The PC I refer to is not mine. But I asked the owner to follow Nohal's advice. It may be he need some assistance for that but let's see.
Sorry, I can't explain your crash from your log entries. Maybe someone else?
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 23:03   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cyprus
Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000 53'
Posts: 52
Re: opencpn 5.0 creating large routes results in crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
That is why you need to read also the other link I posted and follow the manual installation instructions where the installer executable is not involved. That message about Dell modifying the drivers is crap to be ignored, they of course do not modify anything on a driver for GPU integrated inside the processor chip they buy from Intel.
The errors you see mean that the driver version you have installed is leaking resources, which we have seen many times before.
Good Morning Nohal,

the manual installation you refer to is exactly what I did. I can confirm that the installed driver is Intel 26.20.100.6709 dated 11/4/2019.

So I don't think that this is driver related. Maybe that OpenGL cannot work properly with the newest hardware perhaps?

Regards

Ian
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 05:00   #23
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 12,639
Re: opencpn 5.0 creating large routes results in crash

Biggles, you could try this. Sometimes the opencpn.ini config file gets somewhat corrupted. You could shutdown Opencpn, rename the file (so you can get it back), and then start Opencpn which will create a fresh new opencpn.ini or config. You will then have to setup everything up again, but you may notice the program is working better. You can always go back to the old version too..
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 23:16   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cyprus
Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000 53'
Posts: 52
Re: opencpn 5.0 creating large routes results in crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Biggles, you could try this. Sometimes the opencpn.ini config file gets somewhat corrupted. You could shutdown Opencpn, rename the file (so you can get it back), and then start Opencpn which will create a fresh new opencpn.ini or config. You will then have to setup everything up again, but you may notice the program is working better. You can always go back to the old version too..
Thank you for the suggestion. I tried what you suggest but sadly still the same result. The prog crashes every time I zoom out.

What I have discovered is that OpenCPN 5 works fine if no chart folders are selected. Once you add charts the problem occurs. I have deleted and copied over charts from another computer that works, but the problem still exists.The older computer has an earlier graphics card. If OpenGL is not selected on, the prog does not crash, but the charts are a real mess.

I have noticed that in display\advanced\options the Texture Cache is always shown as zero. Is there anyway of increasing this to see if it might help?

I should point out that my three older navigation programs dating back to Nobeltec VNS that I bought in 1999 all behave normally on the new computer, even those using the same chart set as OpenCPN. Why I am having this problem with OpenCPN is very puzzling.
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 12:34   #25
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 12,639
Re: opencpn 5.0 creating large routes results in crash

Biggles, have you tried turning off Opengl Graphics Acceleration completely?
Try that. If it works.
Try going back to your old opencpn.ini but I would do a "force full database rebuild"


If this works it is probably graphics hardware related.

Please report back.


Also try testing your opengl graphics card to see if it passes the tests with glview



OpenGL Extensions Viewer | realtech VR



Let us know what you find out please.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 23:26   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Copenhagen
Boat: B31 Sirene
Posts: 5
Re: opencpn 5.0 creating large routes results in crash

I have had the same problem with opencpn 5.0 crashing when zooming in. After disabling Opengl Graphics Acceleration completely, opencpn 5.0 works normal again.

Logfile at the time of crash:
08:15:09: Loading CM93 cell C:\cm93\04500060\A\04500060.A
08:15:18: VBO Error C: 1280
08:15:20: VBO Error C: 1280
08:15:20: VBO Error C: 1280
08:15:22: VBO Error C: 1280
08:15:23: VBO Error C: 1280
08:15:26: VBO Error C: 1280
08:15:53: VBO Error C: 1280
08:15:53: VBO Error C: 1280
08:20:45: Chart cache purge
08:20:45: Metrics: m_display_size_mm: 344 wxDisplaySize: 1920:1080
08:20:45: Creating new chart
08:20:45: Initializing Chart C:\cm93\
08:20:45: CM93Composite Chart Root is C:\cm93\
hrsek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 06:51   #27
Marine Service Provider
 
bdbcat's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,557
Re: opencpn 5.0 creating large routes results in crash

Please check for possible solution:


http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2891574


Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 11:06   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cyprus
Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000 53'
Posts: 52
Re: opencpn 5.0 creating large routes results in crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Biggles, have you tried turning off Opengl Graphics Acceleration completely?
Try that. If it works.
Try going back to your old opencpn.ini but I would do a "force full database rebuild"


If this works it is probably graphics hardware related.

Please report back.


Also try testing your opengl graphics card to see if it passes the tests with glview



OpenGL Extensions Viewer | realtech VR



Let us know what you find out please.
Hello R?,

sorry but I do not know your first name. Yes I have switched off accelerated graphics entirely, and also tried every combination of the options when accel is in use. With accelerated graphics switched off, the program does not crash when zooming, but the bottom 20%-25% of the screen is covered in horizontal streaks and grayed out areas of the charts appear. This is also true when using my other laptop that has the Intel UHD520 graphics card, but selecting accel Graphics on gets rid of the problem on the older machine.

I downloaded and ran the latest GLView. It is difficult for me to know what results to expect among the many true and false results that it gives. The rendering test seemed to work fine. Maybe I should install TeamViewer and let someone with OpenCPN programming experience take a look?

GLView did prompt a new driver update for the UHD620 which was published just three days ago (6861). I of course installed it but sadly it made no difference at all. The prog still crashes when zooming out whenever any charts are in use. With no charts in use, it does not crash.

Subsequent to the latest Intel driver being installed, the last two lines in the log file before the crash show VBO Error A: 1280, followed by VBO Error C: 1280.

Yes I did reinstate my original log file after creating a new one did not help.

Say hello to Marblehead for me. Great memories in Maddie's Sail Loft.

Regards

Ian (Biggles)
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 11:12   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cyprus
Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000 53'
Posts: 52
Re: opencpn 5.0 creating large routes results in crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsek View Post
I have had the same problem with opencpn 5.0 crashing when zooming in. After disabling Opengl Graphics Acceleration completely, opencpn 5.0 works normal again.

Logfile at the time of crash:
08:15:09: Loading CM93 cell C:\cm93\04500060\A\04500060.A
08:15:18: VBO Error C: 1280
08:15:20: VBO Error C: 1280
08:15:20: VBO Error C: 1280
08:15:22: VBO Error C: 1280
08:15:23: VBO Error C: 1280
08:15:26: VBO Error C: 1280
08:15:53: VBO Error C: 1280
08:15:53: VBO Error C: 1280
08:20:45: Chart cache purge
08:20:45: Metrics: m_display_size_mm: 344 wxDisplaySize: 1920:1080
08:20:45: Creating new chart
08:20:45: Initializing Chart C:\cm93\
08:20:45: CM93Composite Chart Root is C:\cm93\
Sorry you had a problem too, though it's comforting to know I am not alone with this problem which might have been a hardware defect. Switching off Accel Graphics cures my crashing problem too, but the lower quarter of the screen is covered in horizontal streaks and grey areas start to appear on the screen.

Are you using a Dell XPS?

Ian
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 17:01   #30
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 12,639
Re: opencpn 5.0 creating large routes results in crash

Dear Ian and hrsek,


I've been away for a day or so, but thank you for your persistence and excellent reporting! With guys like you opencpn improves every day. It appears to me that Intel is hard at work on a few bugs, however,

  • I believe Magician Dave R. has a solid bead on the problem now, due to your reports.
Ian, so glad you have enjoyed Marblehead!

Fair winds.
Rick



Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Hello R?,

sorry but I do not know your first name. Yes I have switched off accelerated graphics entirely, and also tried every combination of the options when accel is in use. With accelerated graphics switched off, the program does not crash when zooming, but the bottom 20%-25% of the screen is covered in horizontal streaks and grayed out areas of the charts appear. This is also true when using my other laptop that has the Intel UHD520 graphics card, but selecting accel Graphics on gets rid of the problem on the older machine.

I downloaded and ran the latest GLView. It is difficult for me to know what results to expect among the many true and false results that it gives. The rendering test seemed to work fine. Maybe I should install TeamViewer and let someone with OpenCPN programming experience take a look?

GLView did prompt a new driver update for the UHD620 which was published just three days ago (6861). I of course installed it but sadly it made no difference at all. The prog still crashes when zooming out whenever any charts are in use. With no charts in use, it does not crash.

Subsequent to the latest Intel driver being installed, the last two lines in the log file before the crash show VBO Error A: 1280, followed by VBO Error C: 1280.

Yes I did reinstate my original log file after creating a new one did not help.

Say hello to Marblehead for me. Great memories in Maddie's Sail Loft.

Regards

Ian (Biggles)
__________________

rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
enc, opencpn, route

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Creating Google Map's routes simonpickard Navigation 23 13-03-2015 18:28
Waypoints / Creating routes simonpickard OpenCPN 2 14-04-2014 05:31
OpenCPN Mac OS Crashes When Creating Long Routes aewing OpenCPN 5 24-08-2013 21:39
Crash when creating a route (3.2 Mac, raster+cm93) Kashin OpenCPN 3 28-06-2013 10:32
Creating Track / Route from Waypoints in OpenCPN sinbad7 OpenCPN 7 23-07-2011 08:15



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:05.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.