Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2019, 04:06   #1

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000 53'
OpenCPN 5.0.0 Changes Language

In addition to my recently reported display problems, (crashes when zooming out), V5 has now started to change language whilst in use! This has happened twice now in the past 18 hours. The first time from en_us to DK, and then again to CZ. Looking at the .ini file, these changes are reflected there. This has happened at sea whilst not connected to the net. Examination of Windows 10 region settings shows only EN UK and EN US as having been selected, so how is this happening? As there is no drop down language selection whilst the prog is in use, each time I have had to uninstall and reinstall to get English back. Not ideal when needing the prog in earnest whilst at sea. Editing the two lines in the .ini file to en_US does not switch the language back.

Has anyone else had this problem? Nothing showing in Malwarebytes or Eset.

Regards
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 05:47   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: OpenCPN 5.0.0 Changes Language

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
In addition to my recently reported display problems, (crashes when zooming out), V5 has now started to change language whilst in use! This has happened twice now in the past 18 hours. The first time from en_us to DK, and then again to CZ. Looking at the .ini file, these changes are reflected there. This has happened at sea whilst not connected to the net. Examination of Windows 10 region settings shows only EN UK and EN US as having been selected, so how is this happening? As there is no drop down language selection whilst the prog is in use, each time I have had to uninstall and reinstall to get English back. Not ideal when needing the prog in earnest whilst at sea. Editing the two lines in the .ini file to en_US does not switch the language back.

Regards
No, we have never seen such a problem.
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 06:50   #3
Marine Service Provider

Biggles...

Multiple things here, but this is interesting:
"As there is no drop down language selection whilst the prog is in use, each time I have had to uninstall and reinstall to get English back."

I do not understand this comment. Language selection by settings tool can happen anytime...
More info?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 07:49   #4

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000 53'

Quote:

Regards
Hi Dave,

thanks for the very quick reply. Oooops! How very right you are. Do you know I searched everywhere for a language change bar and never saw it. It took a couple of goes on my second (still in English) computer to find it. (Settings/User Interface\top line). Once found, I changed the language back to English on the rogue machine, and all looks good again, but I am still at a loss to understand why this is happening. There have not been any wild mouse movements as can sometimes happen when there is a conflict. Everything appears stable.

Turning to the graphics problem, I tried installing the latest HD620 driver from Intel, but there appeared a warning saying that the driver had been customized by Dell and that it should not be installed. I have a Dell auto update utility running so my graphics driver is their latest. Maybe in time they will fix it.

A big thanks to you and all the OCPN team for your continuous efforts. I own 4 navigation programs, and without any doubt OCPN is the best, and frankly the only one I use seriously.

Sorry for not picking up the language bar.

Regards

Ian
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 08:54   #5

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Hi Dave,

thanks for the very quick reply. Oooops! How very right you are. Do you know I searched everywhere for a language change bar and never saw it. It took a couple of goes on my second (still in English) computer to find it. (Settings/User Interface\top line). Once found, I changed the language back to English on the rogue machine, and all looks good again, but I am still at a loss to understand why this is happening. There have not been any wild mouse movements as can sometimes happen when there is a conflict. Everything appears stable.

Turning to the graphics problem, I tried installing the latest HD620 driver from Intel, but there appeared a warning saying that the driver had been customized by Dell and that it should not be installed. I have a Dell auto update utility running so my graphics driver is their latest. Maybe in time they will fix it.

A big thanks to you and all the OCPN team for your continuous efforts. I own 4 navigation programs, and without any doubt OCPN is the best, and frankly the only one I use seriously.

Sorry for not picking up the language bar.

Regards

Ian
The Dell provided driver is usually similarly outdated and similarly broken as the one provided from Microsoft. You have to download the driver from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...?product=80939 and follow the manual installation instructions from https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...s-drivers.html
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 11:45   #6

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

I have two Dell laptops that have their graphics drivers regularly "updated" by Windows major updates with generic, barely functional versions. The only solution, as Pavel says, is to go to the Intel site and install their latest drivers, even though they may appear (at least in my case) to be years out of date.
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn